User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 3 Jan 2005, 19:00   #1
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
I am in the market for a new mobile phone

I am in the market for a new mobile phone. My current contract with o2 expires at the end of February. I am happy with my contract, it gives me 500 text messages and 50 free minutes a day (after 7pm), but I mostly send text messages and only phone when it's something important or something very quick that you can't quite fit into a reasonable text message.

So really, I'm just after a new phone, but I'd be willing to change the contract I am on, and even operator if there's a good deal to be had.

Phones I've been looking at are the Motorola v600/v620 and v80 (all the user reviews I've seen online have been generally negative) and the samsung d500, which is the best one I've seen so far.

Questions:
In view of the impending explosion of 3g networks this year, is it worth waiting for a bit and getting a 3g phone later on?
I have a PDA, but it's a bit big, I'd get rid of it if I got a smartphone, is it worth getting a smartphone?
Is it worth changing my contract/network to something else?

edit: Forgot to mention, any phone that I ultimately choose must have Bluetooth.

Last edited by Belgarath The Sorcerer; 3 Jan 2005 at 19:07.
Belgarath The Sorcerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 19:11   #2
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: I am in the market for a new mobile phone

Don't get a mobile from a market, they're usually stolen
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 19:35   #3
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Motorola make nice looking phones, but the menu on them is shit and they're about as reliable as a 1985 Skoda.

3G phones... do you want mobile broadband? (with huge data charges) Are you going to make video calls? If the answer is yes, then sure, if not, why ****ing bother?

The only smartphone we sell that would replace a PDA would be the P910i. The Nokia's etc are nice, but the interface sucks cock when compared with a true PDA.

With regards to network, if the deal you're on suits you, why change?

I get the D500 on friday, if you want a cool looking phone, for making calls, sending text, and occasionally arseing about with, its the new daddy.
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 19:52   #4
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath The Sorcerer
I am in the market for a new mobile phone. My current contract with o2 expires at the end of February. I am happy with my contract, it gives me 500 text messages and 50 free minutes a day (after 7pm), but I mostly send text messages and only phone when it's something important or something very quick that you can't quite fit into a reasonable text message.

So really, I'm just after a new phone, but I'd be willing to change the contract I am on, and even operator if there's a good deal to be had.

Phones I've been looking at are the Motorola v600/v620 and v80 (all the user reviews I've seen online have been generally negative) and the samsung d500, which is the best one I've seen so far.

Questions:
In view of the impending explosion of 3g networks this year, is it worth waiting for a bit and getting a 3g phone later on?
I have a PDA, but it's a bit big, I'd get rid of it if I got a smartphone, is it worth getting a smartphone?
Is it worth changing my contract/network to something else?

edit: Forgot to mention, any phone that I ultimately choose must have Bluetooth.
1. I'd say wait a bit longer for a very good 3g phone. Their tariffs are great for people who constantly use their phone a lot as the line rental are cheaper than the rest of the other networks around.

2. It's worth getting a smartphone. Apparently best choices are the SonyEricsson P910i and the Nokia 6670 and 'The Communicator'. But I think there are PDA's out there which can do a lot more stuff than these three. Apparently.

3. Unless you've not been satisfied with O2 and you found a better deal, then I don't think it's worth changing your network. To be honest, Vodafone, O2 and Orange (in that order) are the best networks in terms of network coverage, customer service and range of phones.

With regards to your current contract, it seems you have an Online tariff. You pay something like £19 am I right? I haven't seen tariffs on the High Street that does more text than minutes (not even at my shop (let's face it, I get customers who either want a 3g network or 200 mins on any other network)).

As for selection of phones, I'm considering getting a Motorola v620 (only because I want a flip phone that looks good in black) although I'm not sure if it's good or not. The Samsung d500 is the pimp-daddy of phones at the moment. 1.3 mega-pixel camera, video recorder, advanced bluetooth technology (where it tells you who's trying to connect to you and you can reject them) and mp3 player. The only downfall is the memory (only 96mb, it seems you can't increase it).

Find out if you can get the d500 on an upgrade. If you can afford it, go for it. If not, look around for a deal that'll get you the phone free and fits your needs in terms of the tariff.

Rids, are you getting the d500 on Friday because it's going to be free (my girl is getting it free on a staff line rental on friday as well)?
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 19:56   #5
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of

Thanks for the input lads, I'll hold out for a d500 on my current o2 contract.
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 19:58   #6
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

No I'm getting it on friday because thats when it comes in stock, heh.
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 19:59   #7
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids
No I'm getting it on friday because thats when it comes in stock, heh.
We've had it in stock for some time in my store you know....
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 20:06   #8
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Do anyone of you know when it will be available from o2? It's not on their website at the moment.

Blastoderm, yes, I'm on an online tariff.
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 20:58   #9
Blastoderm
________

It's available on O2 from High Street shops, not sure about their website. Pop into an O2 shop and find out if they stock them. I know you can get a d500 on O2 because I sold one to a customer 3 weeks ago.
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 21:03   #10
Rids
The Bad Guy

Our D500's will probably come vodafone simlocked and full to the brim of vodafone live software. Thus the delay.
Unread 3 Jan 2005, 21:55   #11
Deathjam|wee
Weeeeee

Deathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura about

which is better nokia 6630 or d500

One load of gollums is enough for anyone.Ta
DM.
Deathjam|wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jan 2005, 01:09   #12
Blastoderm
________

I'm going to leave that to Rids to answer that....

Ohhh **** it, the d500 is better than that shit, utter toss 6630.
Unread 4 Jan 2005, 02:33   #13
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

I'm waiting on my expired contract until 3 release their new range of phones (prob end of this month). After they have you might as well switch.

They are significantly cheaper than anyone else.
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote