User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 1 Oct 2004, 17:27   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
RIAA/BPI fileshare getout clause?

Well now the BPI is about to start sueing filesharers in the UK because the RIAA are doing it in the US so it must be , I'm forced to ask if there isn't a simple way to avoid it.

They target file sharers, right?
And, erm, correct me if I'm wrong, but you can happilly download on P2P apps like kazaa without sharing any files.
And with programs like BitTorrent its nearly impossible to tell what you're uploading (for those who don't know bittorrent, it forces you to upload in order to download, but only little chunks of what you've already downloaded of that file, which get sent to other people after the file in no particular order or sequence). And most sensible people using bittorrent have moved off the default ports because ISPs tend to throttle those now anyway (BT works on any port at all) making it even harder to monitor.

So the people who are at risk are basicly massive filesharers on Kazaa who pop up regularly in audits, the people running BT torrent hosting websites (ie. not the users, the seeders), and people who do things that are just plain stupid - like persisting in using Direct Connect on the public internet, an activity similar in the stupidity stakes to sending the BPI the contents of your MP3 folder with a return address to your house and a note attached saying "So sue me".

So, short of every one of these major filesharing types being arrested, how exactly is this supposed to disuade your average users from downloading (note DOWNLOADING not SHARING) files, or using anonymous systems like BT?
Unread 1 Oct 2004, 17:35   #2
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of
Re: RIAA/BPI fileshare getout clause?

BT isn't annoymous really is it? Most trackers these days are php/asp+mysql affairs, which record what torrent you download, how long you spend connected to the tracker seeding, all sorts of handy stats on your download/upload ratio, and your ip is readily available through apache, which would then be traceable to you by your isp. So all it would require really is a public tracker ran by the RIAA or some Police Task Force, logging IP's for a month or so, getting a court order to get the isp to trace who the ip's belonged to, and accumulate time/date/downloaded/bandwidth data...

and your ****ed, basically.

Edit: re-reading that I just realised it doesn't address the question megla posted.

There isn't really anything stopping anyone downloading anything off the internet, short of a little black box at the isp logging what sites you connect to, and what you download.
Unread 1 Oct 2004, 17:45   #3
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

BT isn't anonymous from the point of view that every who's using a torrent is an offender insofar as they're uploading copyrighted material, and clients can see each other (and their IPs) in the torrent. In that way it's even easier catching torrenters than it is normal P2P app users (I thought Dante'd been caught out more than once on this one). And if they target the big file sharers, they'll be left with the smaller ones, and the smaller ones after them until the network ceases to have quite so much coverage as it once did.

Granted it seems unlikely they'll kill P2P by prosecuting just the biggest sharers, but their efforts at throwing bogus files into the fray are certainly working. Or at least pissing me right off, which sounds like a victory for them.
Unread 1 Oct 2004, 17:53   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

I've been collecting warnings from my ISP for some time now. Also ones that involve stuff downloaded from BT. My ISP sends e-mails that you're sharing stuff on request of the big movie companies.... those say "that dude on IP xx.xx.xx.xx is sharing stuff, warn him!".
But I don't worry about. My shared data is quite minimal. I'm one of those bastards who download stuff and move it to another folder the moment it's downloaded.
They go after the big fish first anyway.
Unread 1 Oct 2004, 18:00   #5
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

You find the 24 port Netgear hub that the intarweb is plugged into and connect your PC directly to it, then keep going. When they send you a letter threatening to get you're ISP involved you reply with "ALL MY ISP ARE BELONG TO ME!"

Or similar.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2004, 18:37   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
(I thought Dante'd been caught out more than once on this one).
Yup.

But quite frankly if you're going to avoid sharing materials just because you're scared of a law suit then you deserve to die of AIDS you ****ing faggot **** wankstain piece of shit.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2004, 18:38   #7
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
But quite frankly if you're going to avoid sharing materials just because you're scared of a law suit then you deserve to die of AIDS you ****ing faggot **** wankstain piece of shit.
Calm down dear, it's just the internet.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2004, 18:45   #8
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Yup.

I never seem to download anything that RIAA or the MPAA would be arsed about any more, it's mostly TV shows that I've missed when they've been on Sky.
Unread 1 Oct 2004, 18:48   #9
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
So, short of every one of these major filesharing types being arrested, how exactly is this supposed to disuade your average users from downloading (note DOWNLOADING not SHARING) files, or using anonymous systems like BT?
I doubt this is actually their aim; go google for the multi-million dollar deals eventually made between Napster/RIAA and various American universities in a response to numerous college students being targetted by lawsuits. I'm not sure about what will happen in Britain, but I suspect they might try to get something similar done with the universities here. It's an excellent business strategy, in a machiavellian sort of way.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2004, 18:53   #10
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
I never seem to download anything that RIAA or the MPAA would be arsed about any more, it's mostly TV shows that I've missed when they've been on Sky.
They complained about me downloading Stargate SG1 though ... OK... so I downloaded 4 seasons à 8 DVD's, but hey!
Unread 1 Oct 2004, 19:00   #11
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
Calm down dear, it's just the internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
the internet is a serious business
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2004, 19:21   #12
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

True about the TV shows actually. I downloaded 24 series 2 because I didn't want to wait for it to be shown on the beeb here in the UK. I've since deleted it and bought the DVDs though (it's a good show, but it's not worth 12gb of my harddrive thank you).

Since I'm now out of harddrive space mainly due to the stupid sizes games are these days (lo doom 3) I generally have to delete any episode of a TV show I download as soon as I want to see the next one.
Unread 1 Oct 2004, 20:51   #13
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

[Canadaisgreat****youguys] They ruled sharing here was absolutely fine, so long as it was non profitable[/canadaisgreat****youguys]
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Oct 2004, 21:11   #14
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

i thought they'd ruled that sharing was fine, but that downloading was still illegal? i seem to remember libraries with photocopiers being mentioned

-mist