User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 14 Jun 2004, 10:52   #1
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Relatively simple networking question

there are now three computers in my house. The set up is as follows.

My brothers computer, downstairs, Pentium 2 gig Win XP. Connected to NTL cable modem for internet.

My computer, upstairs. Connected by network cable through the ceiling to my brother. Win XP. uses internet connection sharing.

Now, i have just fixed my ANCIENT pentium 2 400mhz Windows 98 computer for my dad. The only reason im standing for such shite, is because he only wants it generally for word processing, and a little bit of surfing on various news sites. It may, have an ancient network card in it (one of the ones that fits in those old huge slots), this card may or may not work, either way i have no problem spending a bit of cash replacing it if neccesary.

But how do i connect this up to the network? Some sort of Network hub? Where would i get one for cheapest?

PS : Im pre-empting anyone suggesting a Router. I have no problem with having to have my Brothers computer on practically 24/7 for anyone to be able to access the internet.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 10:53   #2
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Relatively simple networking question

why not get a router anyway, its still the best option if you are going to be spending a little bit of money anyway, and out router only cost £35 fs
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 10:55   #3
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of

The only logical solution to this question is to purchase a Router. Not buying one is just stupidity.

PS: There is a forum for this sort of thing I should point out.
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 10:56   #4
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

dude, im trying to connect a 7 year old computer that id be lucky to get £100 for to a network. The idea is i spend as little as possible, its a shiteheap.

Routers probably over kill, any way i can get a network hub though?

Or what about buying a second network card for my Brothers PC and cabling it to my Dads?

Edit : I know theres a forum for this, but its inactive, and slow, and the main posters are from here anyway.

Unread 14 Jun 2004, 11:06   #5
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of

A router is the best solution, but you I suppose you could get a switch and manually assign IP's to each computer. I recently got one from a computer fair, an 8-port one, for £18. It's plugged into my router.
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 11:13   #6
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

you don't have to manually assign just cos you have a switch.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 11:42   #7
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Assuming i have to buy a ****ing router (*%£**$), where, how much, what else do i need, is there any problems with me running 98.

Unread 14 Jun 2004, 12:05   #8
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

http://www.ebuyer.com , http://www.dabs.com etc will sell you a decent one, and they're pretty cheap.

Just the router and the cat5 cables should do it, everything else will come with the router.

Ensure you have the right type of router for your modem though (if it's USB or cable etc).

It should work on Windows 98 - all you should have to do is hook your dad's computer up to the router and then just alter his browser settings...
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 13:35   #9
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

our router has 98SE 200 pro and XP machines running through it with no problems
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 13:37   #10
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

I really dont want to buy a ****ing Router. I have no need for one and im not spending £30 "cheap" as you may think it.

Surely theres something simple, a Network T Junction - something to join three Cat 5 network cables. I dont care about one computer always having to be on for the others to access the internet.

Unread 14 Jun 2004, 13:44   #11
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

Nope, we did this 2 years ago when we went from 2 to 5 computers.. The only way to do it is to get a router. Trust me. Hubs will only connect your computers 2gether, not you internet.

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 14:22   #12
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Thick-ethernet + vampire-taps anyone?
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 14:40   #13
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdeathstar
Nope, we did this 2 years ago when we went from 2 to 5 computers.. The only way to do it is to get a router. Trust me. Hubs will only connect your computers 2gether, not you internet.
O rly?

So a hub won't carry DHCP requests? If the second PC can get on the network, it almost certainly follows that a thirs will, as long as the subnet they are all using is large enough.

Deffeh, you using private network addresses or DHCP assigned ones?

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 14:47   #14
Rumad
th0ng gimp

Rumad has a spectacular aura aboutRumad has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deffeh
I really dont want to buy a ****ing Router. I have no need for one and im not spending £30 "cheap" as you may think it.

Surely theres something simple, a Network T Junction - something to join three Cat 5 network cables. I dont care about one computer always having to be on for the others to access the internet.
A token ring?

Oh lordy lord!

I hubs are easy nough to come accross cheap. I think I have an old 10 mb hub and it cost me about a tenner around 4 years ago!

No second hand pc shops or computer fairs around by you?

Look arund and I am sure you will find something.
Former legion th0ng master
Proud to be Independent
Rumad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 14:57   #15
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
O rly?

So a hub won't carry DHCP requests? If the second PC can get on the network, it almost certainly follows that a thirs will, as long as the subnet they are all using is large enough.

Deffeh, you using private network addresses or DHCP assigned ones?
Honest to god i dont know. Its just a simple, home network. Cat5 wires, network cards, internet sharing etc. I havent customized any settings or anything

What if i bought a second network card for my brothers PC, and connected a second Cat 5 wire from it to my Dads network card?

Presumably My computer couldnt access my dads, but my dads would still get internet, no?

Unread 14 Jun 2004, 15:24   #16
roadrunner_0
cynic

its still a lot easier to get a router, for not much more money (and i presume that you arent paying as this is for your dads benefit) you will save yourself a lot of hassle

what have you got against routers anyway?
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 15:45   #17
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

A network cable would cost a fiver, this mysterious t junction thing presumably about the same. Thats £25 less than the "cheapest" router you suggested. I neither know what router to buy, how to work one, etc etc. Nor do i care about computers being able to access the internet independantly

Unread 14 Jun 2004, 15:56   #18
roadrunner_0
cynic

fair enough, but if you can route your comps through your bros, they you can setup a router
plus, as i said, i imagine that you wont be paying if its for your dads benefit...
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 16:30   #19
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If there are no additional settings to be made, it sounds like your network connection is similar to mine, so all you'll need is a switch, which'll be about £20 if that.

Just take the connection from the original PC, plug it into the switch, then run two CAT5's to your PC and your Dad's.

The main thing is that since you haven't had to 'do' anything, and know even less (lol), then this will be the simplest solution.

You don't need a router, If you needed a router you'd have needed it when you connected the second PC.

Unread 14 Jun 2004, 17:13   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdeathstar
My network, which has one pc with a PCI ADSL Modem as the only internet connection, would like to disagree with you.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 19:48   #21
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Relatively simple networking question

Buy another network card! Leave your brothers pc running (as "router", i.e. using internet connection sharing). Given the fact there is a free PCI slot to fit in the card, it should work. NICs are quite cheap (8 Euros in Germany ~ 5 quid?).
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 19:51   #22
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetLinus
Buy another network card! Leave your brothers pc running (as "router", i.e. using internet connection sharing). Given the fact there is a free PCI slot to fit in the card, it should work. NICs are quite cheap (8 Euros in Germany ~ 5 quid?).
So just buying a second network card for my brothers pc, and connecting that one up to my dads pc, should work for ICS?

Unread 14 Jun 2004, 19:51   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
So just buying a second network card for my brothers pc, and connecting that one up to my dads pc, should work for ICS?
Yeah, it should do (I did something similar at college)
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 19:53   #24
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Well, ****ing brilliant, thatll do me. I knew i didnt have to buy a shittin router

Unread 14 Jun 2004, 20:04   #25
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Unless money is a significant concern I'd have gone the router route (lol); you get a box with shiny lights on the front that flash and dance attractively.
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 20:11   #26
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

i have no money

Unread 14 Jun 2004, 20:15   #27
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Not even for flashy lights?
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 21:09   #28
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of

I haven't seen T-junctions in networks since the days of coax cabling on a 10base2 network. This would require coaxial cables (harder to find nowadays, and no, CAT5 won't do) and network cards with BNC connections (again, not easy to pickup reliably). About five years ago I thought it would be a good idea to save money on a switch by just getting a 10base2 network with T-junctions and running a long line of coax around the house. Four and a half years ago I realised how shit this idea was a shelled out £50 on a 100mbps switch and several lengths of CAT5. I still use it, and don't plan to change it in the forseeable future.
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 23:07   #29
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Relatively simple networking question

Yes, a computer with 2 network cards (well, 3 if you have to connect the modem as well) works as a router. Works nice with windows ICS. I tried.
I wasn't satisfied though, as the lag for StarCraft was too high AND I couldn't configure NAT and port forwarding like I wanted. Didn't find the right windows router software (and winroute was too complicated I believe).
Well, so I bought a router, which is nice.

BUT: For websurfing, mailing, ICQing and file sharing, ICS and the network-card-solution will be ok.

[edit: I don't understand why noone came up with this idea before I did]
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 23:14   #30
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Got that BartPE Linus, cheers for that.

While we're on the topic of networking - both myself and a friend across the road have networks within our houses. We want to link them via a wireless link. Now, in a software sense, it doesn't really matter if we're on the same network - we're happy to run all machines in one domain or keep them as seperate networks, but hardware wise what would I need? Would two WAP's act as an invisible cat5 cable or am I being too simple here?
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jun 2004, 23:14   #31
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Relatively simple networking question

Quote:
Well, ****ing brilliant, thatll do me. I knew i didnt have to buy a shittin router
When is this hate-filled libel against routers going to end?
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2004, 02:21   #32
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Just take the connection from the original PC, plug it into the switch, then run two CAT5's to your PC and yours
Unread 15 Jun 2004, 02:25   #33
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

I just assume Deffeh assumed my reply was unhelpful and ignored it, even though I was right all along.

Oh well, my reputation going ahead of me...

Unread 15 Jun 2004, 09:55   #34
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Quote:
I just assume Deffeh assumed my reply was unhelpful and ignored it, even though I was right all along.

Oh well, my reputation going ahead of me...
No, it was my first choice, till the simple "just buy another network card" idea. Thanks anyway