User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Closed Thread
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 14:51   #1
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
The games are EVIL. EVIL i tell you. EVIL!

This lawyer isnt a nutcase, honest :

Quote:
One man was killed and a woman was badly hurt when William Buckner, 16, and his step-brother Joshua, 14, decided to relieve their boredom by opening fire on traffic on Interstate 40 with a .22-calibre rifle.

Lawyer Jack Thompson has taken up the case and plans to sue the makers of Grand Theft Auto, saying they should bear some responsibility for the death of Aaron Hamel, a 45-year-old nurse and the injuries caused.

Mr Thompson said if manufacturers wanted to keep selling violent games to children, they should be prepared for the consequences he believes repeated playing can have on young and impressionable minds.
Quote:
Last month, a 14-year-old boy in southern Ohio stabbed his aunt to death, possibly while sleepwalking. Just hours earlier, he had been playing a game called Diablo. It is "hugely significant," Mr Thompson said.
Quote:
Mr Thompson said he will file his petition in Tennessee soon, and that he hopes to have a result by this time next year. He said he hoped that punitive damages "in eight figures" would be ordered.
'percentage of damages awarded' anyone ?

This guy is a crackpot.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3104892.stm

edit :
oh , and from his website, www.stopkill.com

[quote]
You may be a parent whose child is addicted to video games. You may know someone harmed by someone addicted to violent entertainment who copycatted that violence. The victim, whoever it is, needs help. Jack Thompson will assist in getting that help...

Presently there are two known victims in Ohio and Michigan beaten to death by video gamers obsessed with Grand Theft Auto. Other victims, tragically, are already out there or will be, not only of this sociopathic game but of other video games that serve as murder simulators.
[quote]

stop playing those MURDER SIMULATORS people!
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 14:56   #2
menth0l
dim like a fox

menth0l is on a distinguished road
Hay guys how come there is less violent crime in Finland even though we play more violent video games ?
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 14:57   #3
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I hear the Roman empire was created by these two blokes who had been playing Civilisation.

Edit: oh wait
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 15:00   #4
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
It's true you know, I spent all last night straffe-jumping around with a rocket launcher killing aliens and robots.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 15:06   #5
Monkehpimp
'Useless'

Monkehpimp is an unknown quantity at this point
I remember when I was an international super spy and I could take several bullets with no ill effects but 'loss of health'.
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 15:10   #6
Deathjam
Banned

Deathjam is an unknown quantity at this point
some1 should send that guy the quake in rl video
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 15:15   #7
Monkehpimp
'Useless'

Monkehpimp is an unknown quantity at this point
Remember how the collumbine (sp) shootings were all Marilyn Mansons fault? Remember how children everywhere are out of controll swearers cos of Eminem?

exactly.
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 15:26   #8
DaWoodster
Registered abUser

DaWoodster is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats just plain dumb.

When I was a kid I played Pacman all the time, it's not as if I run around eating pills to repetative electronic music now is it?

oh wait...
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 16:03   #9
KaosTrigX
Less than three

KaosTrigX will become famous soon enoughKaosTrigX will become famous soon enough
The kids in the shooting belong to the boss of a friend of mine.

I'm just another lonely broken hero......
Picking up the pieces of my mind.........

"I don't want to exist. I want to be the existence."
-Becky
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 16:29   #10
Vermillion
Historian

Vermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to all
Re: The games are EVIL. EVIL i tell you. EVIL!

Quote:
Originally posted by NEWSBOT3
One man was killed and a woman was badly hurt when William Buckner, 16, and his step-brother Joshua, 14, decided to relieve their boredom by opening fire on traffic on Interstate 40 with a .22-calibre rifle.
Of course.

After all, it is the fault of the video game producers for making a violent game that made little Billy want to be violent with a gun. It is the fault of the television producers and movie producers for making billy watch shows that make him want to be violent with a gun. It is the fault of music which sings about people being violent with a gun, which makes Billy want to go and be violent with a gun. Hell, its probably the fault of the highway service for making a highway there that billy could shoot at when he felt like being violent with a gun.

But of course, the one thing, of everything in the world it is NOT the fault of, and could never BE the fault of, and you are an idiot to THINK it might be the fault of, was the fact that 14-year old Billy had access to a rifle to play with when he was bored.

"Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judicati terram"
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 16:30   #11
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute
Notice how it's kids?

The GTA games have an 18 certificate so they're for adults, if you ask me, the lawyer should be suing the adults for buying the game for their stupid kids. clearly.
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 16:41   #12

guest is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by menth0l
Hay guys how come there is less violent crime in Finland even though we play more violent video games ?
Because it is not common practice for gun owners in Finland to leave .22 caliber rifles, and ammunition, in places where 14 year old children can easily get their hands on it?

This may in turn be related to the average intelligence of a European gun owner when compared with that of an American gun owner?
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 16:50   #13
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by guest
Because it is not common practice for gun owners in Finland to leave .22 caliber rifles, and ammunition, in places where 14 year old children can easily get their hands on it?

This may in turn be related to the average intelligence of a European gun owner when compared with that of an American gun owner?
DON'T USE THAT DIRTY WORD!!! "A-ME-RI-CAN"...
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 17:35   #14
cnaw
Ancient

cnaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: The games are EVIL. EVIL i tell you. EVIL!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vermillion
Of course.

After all, it is the fault of the video game producers for making a violent game that made little Billy want to be violent with a gun. It is the fault of the television producers and movie producers for making billy watch shows that make him want to be violent with a gun. It is the fault of music which sings about people being violent with a gun, which makes Billy want to go and be violent with a gun. Hell, its probably the fault of the highway service for making a highway there that billy could shoot at when he felt like being violent with a gun.

But of course, the one thing, of everything in the world it is NOT the fault of, and could never BE the fault of, and you are an idiot to THINK it might be the fault of, was the fact that 14-year old Billy had access to a rifle to play with when he was bored.
You forgot; the victims are also half responsible, because if they didn't go out driving, they never would of been shot.
Falling from grace, the human race
Religion can never unite us
Only a few will stay on the barricades"
-Masterplan
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 17:42   #15
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by KaneED
Notice how it's kids?

The GTA games have an 18 certificate so they're for adults, if you ask me, the lawyer should be suing the adults for buying the game for their stupid kids. clearly.
Exactly. Its the same old story tho. I think "Die Hard" znd other action films were seen as bad influence on kids when they were released on video.

Face it, if a kids that way inclined they are that way inclined. Whether or not a computergame inticed them to do it is neither here nor there, they will just blame it on something else when the kids decide to stick lit fireworks up a cats arse.
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 18:24   #16
menth0l
dim like a fox

menth0l is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by guest

Hah hah don't be silly. GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE, GAMES KILL PEOPLE!
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 18:36   #17
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
yeah!

the goddarn' constitution wasn't written saying you had a right to bear video games now, was it?!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 19:13   #18
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Re: The games are EVIL. EVIL i tell you. EVIL!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vermillion
Of course.

Here's a radical thought: instead of trying to figure out which inanimate object (tv, video game, gun, etc) is responsible for little Billy's actions, why don't we put the blame squarely where it belongs--on little Billy and his parents?

Like I said, it's a radical thought.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 19:17   #19
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Re: Re: The games are EVIL. EVIL i tell you. EVIL!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
Here's a radical thought: instead of trying to figure out which inanimate object (tv, video game, gun, etc) is responsible for little Billy's actions, why don't we put the blame squarely where it belongs--on little Billy and his parents?

Like I said, it's a radical thought.
because mr hotshot lawyer wont make any money from blaming the parents.
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 19:20   #20
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
The guy with a knife killed as many people as the guy with a gun. :-/
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 19:21   #21
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally posted by queball
The guy with a knife killed as many people as the guy with a gun. :-/
of course!

its the same in counterstrike!
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 19:26   #22
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Re: Re: Re: The games are EVIL. EVIL i tell you. EVIL!

Quote:
Originally posted by NEWSBOT3
because mr hotshot lawyer wont make any money from blaming the parents.
That's his problem.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 19:27   #23
Crackmonkey
monkey on crack

Crackmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
The blame is on the parents. They should have been paying attention to the fact that those kids were playing a game that nobody under the age of 18 is supposed to be able to purchase. On top of that, they had access to a gun that they obviously were not responsible enough to use on their own.

Of course, I played Mortal Kombat when I was around that age and I wasn't going around shooting at people. But on top of that, I never had unsupervised access to weapons with the exception of semi-sharp kitchen knives.

I don't think the kids were trying to kill anyone, they probably just thought it would be cool to go shoot at cars down by the highway. regardless of what game they were playing, they shouldn't have had the gun in the first place.
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 20:09   #24
I Am Sword
If Mods made Carlsberg..

I Am Sword is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Embroglio
It's true you know, I spent all last night straffe-jumping around with a rocket launcher killing aliens and robots.
I take it that was a game?
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 21:06   #25
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light
If a kid cant tell the difference between shooting people in a computer game and shooting people in real life....he needs some help.

And I agree with the others, the kid shouldnt have been able to get his hands on the damn gun anyway!
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 21:31   #26
Muslim
Banned

Muslim is an unknown quantity at this point
one word
catarsis

playing violent deadly games are great, specially for young children. It raises them to become conscious that guns can actually rip someones head open, and that such an unlucky individual will never come back to life again (except in MP games, maybe)

anyways

i always played the most violent games i could put my hands on from the age of 10 and doom, and i turned out just fine
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 21:33   #27
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
first person to point out that Muslim didn't turn out fine
Unread 16 Nov 2003, 05:36   #28
Morphose
Old Man

Morphose is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I played all kinds of violent games when I was a kid, heck, still do. You would think that with my brother and I, both playing violent games, access to all kinds of firearms and powertools, able to make a sword from scrap metal with a bandsaw and a grinder (which we did frequently) knowledgable about how to make EFFECTIVE bows and arrows (again, which we did frequently), would have turned out more violent actings than mock sword fights and the occasionally wounded Egret (that's a bird usually found on farms).

You know why it didn't, because we were scared shite-less of my mother (single-mom, which usually don't the kids with single parents go bad first?) who would at the drop of a hat and the first inkling that we did something bad give us a beating that made us re-think what we did.

I am American and I think that most lawyers should be taken out and beaten to death by the very same kids they claim are not at fault, or that their parents are not to blame. Hell, I love my freedoms and my rights, but it is just these @sshole lawyers, which strip my constitutional right to bear arms and my ability to go out into my farm with my little cousins and brother and chase each other around with a stick pretending to be swordsmen, away that just irritate me to no end.

Sorry, just happened across this post and found that I was infuriated at being reminded of the crap going on in this country where nobody wants to take responsibility of their actions or of their kids, and have form of family honor anymore. OK, I'm just 23 years old and still act like a kid when I want to have some fun, and some of you older guys/gals out there may think I am being young and typical for being this outspoken, but I was raised on the principles that you do not harm other people, you don't do something that could hurt or endanger your family, and you take responsibility for your actions. It just seems that is just very outdated and no longer present in this country.
Unread 16 Nov 2003, 06:26   #29
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I blame the parents

plus the kids are stupid for thinking that it isn't only a game anyway.

I say we gun them down with a BFG, failing which Scorpion's Toasty Fatality will have to suffice.
Unread 17 Nov 2003, 16:02   #30
Evil Skragg
And you expected Kittens?

Evil Skragg will become famous soon enoughEvil Skragg will become famous soon enough

Strange, I dont have hte urge to eat mushrooms, jump on turtles, whack barrels with a massive hammer and throw apes off construction sites....
Unread 17 Nov 2003, 16:24   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yes, yes, 'haha they suck'
Closed Thread