User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 8 Aug 2007, 08:56   #1
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Surfing teh interweb

It has recently occured to me that, even though I have a heavy usage of the internet and of search engines in my history, I am utterly useless at finding anything of value when I need it.

For example, there was a thread on here a while back about alternatives to prisons and I was gonig to make an aces post (with links and charts and all that CRAZY stuff) to show nod who's the daddy and well... I couldn't find anything of value. I knew it was out there and I found loads of stuff but nothing that actually had any relevance to what I wanted to speak about. I did a load of searches but could find very little.

Are there any 'unwritten' laws of the interweb of which I am not aware (or unable to find in a google?) which could improve my searching ability?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2007, 09:03   #2
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Surfing teh interweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Are there any 'unwritten' laws of the interweb of which I am not aware (or unable to find in a google?) which could improve my searching ability?
Well, not exactly something that would improve your searching skills, but investing your time to think up a one-liner or a witty reply will give you a greater chance of winning the internet than overwhelming your opponent with statistics and facts.
I suggest that next time you want to show Nod "who's the daddy" you call him gay or something like that.
Unread 8 Aug 2007, 13:51   #3
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

As an example, there was an article on the BBC website a week or so ago stating that more people are being evicted from their homes. I'm not sure it has any relevance to what I want it for, but I can't find it for the life of me. Anybody got it?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 8 Aug 2007, 16:06   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6929361.stm ?

(news google, search for "bbc repossessions")
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2007, 17:03   #5
All Systems Go

That's the one, thanks.
Unread 8 Aug 2007, 17:57   #6
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

So basically you're just shit at [strike]google[/strike] the internet?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by Mzyxptlk; 8 Aug 2007 at 18:18.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Aug 2007, 23:00   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I think in this case it's probably because ASG would have read that story and associated it mentally with evictions. But the story doesn't mention evictions at all (they're not the same thing per se) and thus wouldn't come up from searching for evictions. (Maybe, I've not checked)

I only found it quickly because I'm on a CLG mailing list and remembered seeing an email recently about repossession statistics. I assumed the story would have been essentially the same.

Most of the times I can't find something online it's down to a similar phenomenon. The mind is seems quite efficient at remembering the things it needs to - but this is usually achieved through a series of links. So if you misremember/misinterpret something on first read then you'll essentially misfile it. It's there, but linked to something else.

There's been times where I've been searching for ages for something - sure for example that I read some statistic about France. I'll try all the logical connotaitons, and then give up, defeated. Much later I'll happen upon the article and find the statistic was about Spain, but the author had a surname of 'Paris' or something stupid.

Obviously that's a retarded example (and an example of retardation) but you get the general drift. Search engines can't always make the leap from what we've typed in to what we really mean.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Aug 2007, 00:03   #8
TheShadowMan
Choice of Whacker sir?

TheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud ofTheShadowMan has much to be proud of

http://johnny.ihackstuff.com/ghdb.ph...summary&cat=18

shows how to use arguments in google search to get things. You can manipulate the arguments they use to run better defined searches for things

slightly unrelated but google has gone green....er black

http://www.blackle.com/
Unread 11 Aug 2007, 00:40   #9
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

the 'going black' thing will do nothing where the computer has an LCD screen, it will only have an effect on CRTs and - lets face it, within a couple of years there wont be (m)any of those left. Any existing ones will have failed and been replaced by now with an LCD
Unread 12 Aug 2007, 23:33   #10
Awake
Asleep.

Awake has a spectacular aura aboutAwake has a spectacular aura aboutAwake has a spectacular aura about

Blackle looks fairly cool though. We all know looks > functionality.

:P

Plastic Brilliance
Awake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Aug 2007, 14:06   #11
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
the 'going black' thing will do nothing where the computer has an LCD screen, it will only have an effect on CRTs and - lets face it, within a couple of years there wont be (m)any of those left. Any existing ones will have failed and been replaced by now with an LCD
Are you saying a multi-national corporation is using quasi-environmental practices as part of a marketing campaign?

Wonders will never cease.
Unread 13 Aug 2007, 15:52   #12
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

you of course comment in the full understanding that Blackle is in no way affiliated with Google.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Aug 2007, 16:33   #13
All Systems Go

Oh, of course.