User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 28 May 2007, 18:27   #1
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Nice Going Hugo

http://www.suntimes.com/news/world/4...ez27s1.article

Congratulations to President Hugo Chavez in his quest to purify the airwaves of Venezuela.

Taking the oldest television station in the country which just happened to be the last opposition television station in Venezuela was quite a coup.

Thank good for right thinking communist dictators who are willing to take the tough stance regarding such things as freedom of speech and freedom of thought.
Unread 28 May 2007, 20:58   #2
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Nice Going Hugo

The problem with this sort of thread is no-one really agrees with these specific actions anyways and it'll all end up being a competition to show which western government is worse than venezuela, presuming it becomes anything at all.

For my part I'm pretty sure this has been expected for quite a while now. And he didn't ban it, he took away its broadcasting license. I'm quite sure this has happened in other areas of the world before now for reasons other than "restricting freedom of speech" (although this obviously isn't chavez's actual reason, that's more "shut up capitalizts").
Unread 28 May 2007, 21:35   #3
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Im sorry dda, but if Mr Chavez was a true "communist dictator" of the old school, he wouldnt just have taken away it's chance to broadcast of public airwaves (the channel still sends on cable).

He would have shot them for it's part in the failed 2002 coup.
(Im expecting johnny to tell stories about how much better Uncle Josef would have handled it!!)
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 May 2007, 21:43   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
And he didn't ban it, he took away its broadcasting license.
Well, according to the article DDA has linked to he didn't even do that. He just didn't renew their licence, which presumably had expired. I don't know the specifics of Venezualan law on this matter, but when you're dealing with the airwaves as if they were public goods (as in most countries) then there will always be regulation / licencing of some form. How is fairest to distribute these licences is not immediately obvious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
Thank good for right thinking communist dictators who are willing to take the tough stance regarding such things as freedom of speech and freedom of thought.
Well, I don't have a national TV station which represents my political views even slightly, does that mean my freedom of thought is being suppressed?

Also, just to make sure JBG is correct ; one wonders what would happen to a TV station which was involved in a coup attempt against the US president? I think it's reasonable to imagine the possibility it's staff might be rotting in Guatanamo Bay, not allowed to broadcast for another five years.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2007, 04:16   #5
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

RCTV had its terrestrial broadcast license away and its equipment repossessed; however, it is still allowed to broadcast on cable or DTH if they purchase/repurchase the neccessary equipment. Televen, Venevision and Globovision are all major Venezuelan TV networks, privately-funded and to greater or lesser extents anti-Chavez, which have got on fine for some time. The difference is that while these stations presented an unbalanced view during the coup, they weren't actively promoting the overthrow of the government. If OsamaTV became the most watched terrestrial network in the United States of course the government would deal with it, probably a tad more violently than Chavez has (as Dante said).

But, you know, I'm obviously rushing to defend the indefensible because of my own bias and my own politics. Thats what all of us thrice-damned lefties do, after all.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2007, 04:19   #6
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Well, according to the article DDA has linked to he didn't even do that. He just didn't renew their licence, which presumably had expired. I don't know the specifics of Venezualan law on this matter, but when you're dealing with the airwaves as if they were public goods (as in most countries) then there will always be regulation / licencing of some form. How is fairest to distribute these licences is not immediately obvious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
RCTV also argues that the channel's license expires in 2022 rather than 2007. The government states that a 1987 decree during Jaime Lusinchi's presidential term, gave RCTV a 20-year license, while the network claims that the failure of the National Telecommunications Commission to issue an administrative authorization by June 12, 2002, automatically granted the channel a 20-year license renewal. The government rejected this interpretation, stating that the converting of licenses into administrative authorizations did not mean a license renewal, just a census of broadcasters.
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2007, 07:25   #7
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

I wonder if that commie will get shot soon.
Is it illegal to setup a site like.... www.gathermoneytopayahitmantowackcavez.com with donation options?

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2007, 11:55   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allfather
Is it illegal to setup a site like.... www.gathermoneytopayahitmantowackcavez.com with donation options?
I suspect that depends on the laws in your own country. Actively campaigning for someone's murder is probably illegal where you live, although I am not lawyer, etc.

Feel free to try though, you can show some solidarity with other whackjobs like Pat Robertson.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 May 2007, 11:57   #9
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Commies are not people, so i think im safe.
Was more worried about the .com domain.

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote