User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 20 Oct 2008, 01:55   #1
Thedoctor
Back Again

Thedoctor is on a distinguished road
Returning Veteran

Well, it's been a long time and lots changed.

a friend convinced me to have another throw of the dice, so here I am.

I started playing from Round 2 and stopped at round 10, so im guessing ive got a lot of catching up to do.

If anyone has any words of wisdom, please let me know.

Thanks Doc,

See ya out there!

R2 : Dont Remember
R3 : 46:7:9
R4 : 146:12:1
R5 : 8:19:2
R6 : 16:16:1
R7 : 5:23:1
R8 : Dont count, round was unfinished.
Thedoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2008, 02:53   #2
Bubert Samson
Come Closer, I Have Candy

Bubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the rough
Re: Returning Veteran

Welcome back

Well, the universe is a lot smaller than you were probably used to, other than that (And races, prelaunches, covert ops, population management, various scans, multiple ship targeting, etc) its still the same old game we have all lost sleep over.

[ROCK] || Conspiracy Theory || Ascendancy

Rounds Played: 3-9 16-19 23-33

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
- Edgar Allan Poe
Bubert Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2008, 15:30   #3
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

Find an alliance to start with.

with your experience i would recommend Conspiracy as they seem to be building up a new core now and for a returning player like yourself you need to belong somewhere and learn the game aswell as sticking around more then just this one round
visit #conspiracy on netgamers they are a very good and active alliance.

if they for some reason dont want you then try #newdawn or #vgn.
i dont know what their plans are so they might be full.

#ReSa and #audentes might also be interesting. 2 new alliances for this round.

if all my bullshit about playing active is not tempting for you try out #Rock instead. decent alliance which plays to have fun.¨

There are ofcourse many other alliances, but again i must mention that ur a returning player with experience so those i mentioned there are the ones you need to aim for.

To sum up:

#conspiracy
#newdawn
#vgn
#ReSa (new)
#audentes (new)
#Rock (Plays for fun but are the best alliance out of all the ones that play for fun)

These have either said they would fight in the top or are capable of getting a top rank simply because they own
then there is an alliance called Ascendancy but they dont recruit, neither do they have a public channel. SOMEONE MIGHT JUST READ THIS AND INVITE YOU THOUGH *KICKS RANDOM BUTT*

Last edited by HaNzI; 21 Oct 2008 at 21:05.
HaNzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2008, 15:32   #4
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

just incase...

irc.netgamers.org is the server
Unread 20 Oct 2008, 20:20   #5
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

i was reminded of Denial too. sure they are decent but they dont recruit anyone or anything.
Unread 20 Oct 2008, 20:31   #6
HeimdallR

HeimdallR will become famous soon enoughHeimdallR will become famous soon enough

well all depends on how active you will be,
if yur just looking to get schooled into pa again for a round i would suggest Hidden Agenda more then any of the alliances mentioned above.
still consider it as the top training alliance around.

If life hands you lemons, drink more tequila

After the game is over the king and the pawn end up in the same box

HA - asc -rdm-asc-VR- #ODDR - APP
Finally retired
HeimdallR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2008, 20:32   #7
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

a top training alliance is a top alliance taking an effort into building a strong core. which is CT.
Unread 20 Oct 2008, 20:34   #8
HeimdallR

HeimdallR will become famous soon enoughHeimdallR will become famous soon enough

are you getting a million € everytime you promote ct?

Finally retired
Unread 20 Oct 2008, 20:35   #9
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNzI View Post
To sum up:

#conspiracy
#newdawn
#vgn
#SeRa (new)
#audentes (new)
#Rock (Plays for fun but are the best alliance out of all the ones that play for fun)
/me hugs hanzi

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Oct 2008, 20:46   #10
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeimdallR View Post
are you getting a million € everytime you promote ct?
its my objective opinion, not my subjective. My subjective opinion is.
OMGWTF #ASS IS THE BEST EVER COME JOIN US!!

You said it urself tho, it all depends on how active you are. you can become a far better player after 1 round in CT then 1 round in HA. no offence but i think HA is more for those less experienced then The Doc here who has played quite a few years as oldschool
Unread 20 Oct 2008, 21:14   #11
HeimdallR

HA has enough experienced members to guide anyone

Finally retired
Unread 20 Oct 2008, 21:23   #12
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

Quote:
HA has enough experienced members to guide anyone
But you dont have the same goals, and way of playing like CT.
i would dare to say the best alliance to learn how to become a good player was in round 27 denial, then in round 28 it was Asc, and next round i think its CT.

the day HA plays to win and plays on the same level of activity as any of the alliances above then you can claim to be the best recruiting-alliance.
I do find it honourable to take in new players, but this is not a new player we talk about, and no matter how much time you invest in any player you recruit he will never experience the same level of activity like in any of the above alliances, and in my opinion you learn best with activity.
Unread 20 Oct 2008, 21:31   #13
HeimdallR

oldschool player is pretty much the same as new player in my eyes.

you have to relearn them pretty much everything.

Finally retired
Unread 20 Oct 2008, 21:36   #14
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

Quote:
oldschool player is pretty much the same as new player in my eyes.

you have to relearn them pretty much everything.
They know how its like being active, get up at night without prelaunch and invest time in the game. They also obviously enjoyed this game earlier since they return, and will not easily give up like a totally new player.
Unread 21 Oct 2008, 11:32   #15
Bubert Samson
Come Closer, I Have Candy

Bubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the roughBubert Samson is a jewel in the rough

When I came back to PA in round 16 after not playing since round 9, it was ten times easier for me to re-learn what had changed than how it would have been to me if I had never played the game before.
You still have the basic framework of PA that you know, and even though it has gone through all the changes it did, it is still the same game at its core.

[ROCK] || Conspiracy Theory || Ascendancy

Rounds Played: 3-9 16-19 23-33

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
- Edgar Allan Poe
Bubert Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2008, 12:19   #16
HellKicker
Fook Yu
Cell-Out Champion

HellKicker is a jewel in the roughHellKicker is a jewel in the roughHellKicker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubert Samson View Post
When I came back to PA in round 16 after not playing since round 9, it was ten times easier for me to re-learn what had changed than how it would have been to me if I had never played the game before.
You still have the basic framework of PA that you know, and even though it has gone through all the changes it did, it is still the same game at its core.
I must admit, i miss the sexy days of us being in Magma <3

PS. I agree, it was quite easy

Last edited by HellKicker; 21 Oct 2008 at 12:20. Reason: Something popped into my head :o
HellKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Oct 2008, 18:42   #17
Reese
If not never; then once.

Reese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud of

Quote:
#SeRa and #audentes might also be interesting. 2 new alliances for this round.
#ReSa
Unread 21 Oct 2008, 21:05   #18
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese View Post
#ReSa
my bad
i was in Seraphim round 9 or something so i guess thats where i mix them up
Unread 21 Oct 2008, 22:26   #19
Membrivio
Leader of the Membrivians
Curveball Champion, Sober Santa 2 Champion

Membrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
its my objective opinion, not my subjective. My subjective opinion is.
OMGWTF #ASS IS THE BEST EVER COME JOIN US!!
Opinions are by definition subjective

(Ow and I miss xVx as a good option in the not-hardcore-but-good-training-alliance)
R35/36: p3nguins
R37: Evolution
R48: ODDR
R49: CT
[KB] [Mercenaries] [p0ny]

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything. (J.W. Goethe)
Membrivio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Oct 2008, 16:45   #20
eltsin
zawze^asc

eltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really nice

+1 for met and hk. I came back in round 22 after having played r2-r6 - wasn't a problem at all relearning.
Unread 22 Oct 2008, 23:13   #21
voodoo
a pain

voodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond reputevoodoo has a reputation beyond repute

the nick sounds somewhat familiar.

nevertheless, welcome back!!
Unread 30 Oct 2008, 19:49   #22
Zeyi
Tides of Fire

Zeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really nice

As another returning player I disagree that we're equivalent to new players.

Certainly in my case, I played a couple of the speed games over the past month and maintained a top 10 rank until I got bored (Tick 3000 or so).

It's familiarized me with the game and now I'm ready to go on an alliance hunt. It's just whether anyone takes us oldies
Unread 31 Oct 2008, 09:05   #23
cha^
King of EMO

cha^ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeyi View Post
As another returning player I disagree that we're equivalent to new players.

Certainly in my case, I played a couple of the speed games over the past month and maintained a top 10 rank until I got bored (Tick 3000 or so).

It's familiarized me with the game and now I'm ready to go on an alliance hunt. It's just whether anyone takes us oldies
Speedgame t10 = Who has most time to spare

Also yes I agree on the xVx part, id lift xVx with Rock on the "non-hardcore-have-fun-alliances" Who still do a really decent job.
Unread 31 Oct 2008, 12:45   #24
Zeyi
Tides of Fire

Zeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really niceZeyi is just really nice

Speedgame t10 = Who has most time to spare

Like I said, it familiarizes you with the current game setup, and because it's a speedgame you have fast ticks allowing quicker development.

We're already used to the alliance scene so it doesn't matter speedgames require little ally work. It's all about relearning the game interface. The rest is already second nature, can't see how that isn't beneficial.

Although I agree speedgame top10 is about activity. Yet so is the real game, just speedgames you kind of go solo.
Unread 5 Nov 2008, 07:28   #25
LordNieminen
Finn.. who's drunk.

LordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of light

If you intend to play very actively, don't bother being too active or organising a lot of stuff like 3-4h's for your own defence/galaxys at mornings.. PA these days is just about being online to pick target/getting scans before landing.. otherwise ranks come by the fact can you avoid being waved/not loosing too many ships not by activity as rounds are way too short for it.
r9.5: Top60(small playerbase=easy)
Few won R's in PIA, r26 top15 First/Last Pax round.
[OLMIT] / [TreKronor]
10 lines max for signature I heard.. so
LordNieminen is offline   Reply With Quote