User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 15 Jun 2006, 18:01   #1
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
What is art?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...es/5081744.stm

Short version:
Sculptor submits his art to the Royal Academy but when he turns up, finds out that the sculpture hasn't been put on show. The plinth it was supposed to rest on instead was put up, and hailed as "beautiful" by a bunch of critics.
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 18:37   #2
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: What is art?

People who judge any of the arts are usually a rather dim crew, in my opinion. That a group of them would decide that the stand on which the sculpture was to sit was "art" is not much of a surprise really. I am only surprised that the walls aren't bare where paintings should be hung because the brush and roller strokes on the wall are equally beautiful.
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 20:22   #3
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I don't see how posting a summary with the link makes it any better than just posting a link.
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 20:23   #4
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
I don't see how posting a summary with the link makes it any better than just posting a link.
So people can decide whether it's worth clicking on to find out more, I suppose.

If I'd just posted the link you'd have complained, so I can't win.

Stop being so grumpy.
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 20:28   #5
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
So people can decide whether it's worth clicking on to find out more, I suppose.

Stop being so grumpy.
you can 'win' by not doing something we all accept as shit.

posting a thread which is just a link to a bbc story is not good.

Infact it is bad.

writing a four line summary does not make it any better.

Need I remind you that Texan was banned for it (though they at least were vaguely interesting articles) and that the word 'Kurashima' became synonymous with 'shit' because he did it all the time.

If you have something to say, then say it.

If you do not have anything to say, then don't say anything.

Acting as a messanger service for www.news.bbc.co.uk is not acceptable posting.
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 20:34   #6
Tomkat

Oh god **** OFF THESE BOARDS AND STOP MAKING THEM SO DEPRESSINGLY NEGATIVE YAHWE

seriously
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 20:36   #7
Yahwe
I am.

I don't make the rules.

Please grow up.

(PB is there if you feel the desire to post badly)
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 20:40   #8
Tomkat

Yahwe - please find me a "good" post by yourself that has been made in the last week.

As I'm struggling to find one.

In fact I struggle regularly to find posts that you make that the GD community would regard as "good". And I know I'm not alone in this.

So take a look at your own posting before criticising others.
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 20:41   #9
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
you can 'win' by not doing something we all accept as shit.
"We all" who? I'm certainly not one of them.
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 20:51   #10
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat

Stop being so grumpy.
Nah, Yahwe is right. I clicked on the thread expecting some kind of relatively interesting discussion, and instead I got a BBC link with 2 sentences of comment.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Jun 2006, 22:56   #11
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

If it's so bad, ignore it and let it die as it should have... bloody drama queens.

I enjoyed reading it, aswell as DDA's reply.
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 01:09   #12
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Curse you T&F you and the Jacksonpollock.org that you rode into town on. Everytime I click on that link at least a half hour of my life is forfiet.
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 01:20   #13
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm finding it difficult to draw anything but the most abstract of genitalia on that site.

But my it looks pretty.
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 06:20   #14
coffee-
Beoyotch

coffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nicecoffee- is just really nice

I enjoy reading threads like this, little tid bits of randomocity can be interesting.

Yes, randomocity is a word.
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 09:00   #15
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I clicked on the thread expecting some kind of relatively interesting discussion
And I expected to be beautiful. Life is full of disappointment.

To answer the original topic, clearly there's no satisfactory objective answer here so you might as well go with 'Art is whatever you want it to be'. However, as with other labels / categories, people only seem to care whether something is art because of some implied superior status to 'art' over other activities. "Are computer games art?" asks wanky publications like Edge - but who cares except for people who are desperate to elevate their tastes above that of the masses.

On the issue of links - I would say there is nothing wrong with posting a link with a summary (infinitely preferable to just posting a link of course) - if you are doing to commence a debate. The problem with Texan's links / articles was that he then didn't bother defending the articles, or involve himself in any future discussion. It becomes a form of flamebaiting (or even trolling) in this sense : post something controversial to get a reaction, don't defend it, let people work themselves up while you post another thread, etc, etc. If you read some of Nod's older threads (before he ascended to internet god hood you'll see a few threads which were just a link / excerpt - with a brief summary in the title). Obviously I am sure now he is beyond such evil.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 09:18   #16
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

haha silly Brits.

KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 11:05   #17
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I post links that I think are on-topic and would be interesting reading for people on here.
Of course Yahwe neg reps me for them but hey - I can take it, especially as I often get "thanks for the article" pos reps as well.
Sometimes there's not much more you can say other than "what do you think?"
I usually want someone with a better grasp of the subject (usually politics) to post an opposite viewpoint, or a critical analysis of the article.

And finally - GD IS HARDLY OVER-ACTIVE SO ANY NEW THREAD THAT ISN'T SHIT IS WELCOME.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 13:20   #18
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
And I expected to be beautiful. Life is full of disappointment.
You will always be beatiful in the eyes of your mother though.

So stop hanging out with degenerates that ruin your self-image with reality and start standing by her side, as real men do. Life's only disappointing if you choose to face it.
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 15:24   #19
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
And I expected to be beautiful. Life is full of disappointment..
walt disney told me that it is beauty on the inside that matters.

and yes that was me being hurtful because i am ugly inside.
Quote:
On the issue of links - I would say there is nothing wrong with posting a link with a summary (infinitely preferable to just posting a link of course) - if you are doing to commence a debate..
i do kind of wish he would have posted some type of opinion tho. i don't really see much debate here tho, i don't see anyone on this forum disagreeing with the following outline:
art is a 'good thing'
the head was a piece of art (mediocre, but better than i could do)
the plinth was not,
and the people that judged the plinth to be better should all be fired and beaten and have no taste (though it's possible they knew the plinth was just a support piece, and pulled all this just to troll for reactions)

which leaves the real room for debate in this thread being how one properly posts a link:
is a summary enough, or should an opinion be stated? or perhaps a complete thought?
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 16:08   #20
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolis
the plinth was not
I disagree. Art, beauty and whatever is in the eye of the beholder. Now, in order to think the plinth was art, you'd have to, in my very subjective opinion, be a bloody raving idiot (as DDA said).. but that doesn't make it *not art*.

Although, if the plinth fit into the general feeling of a room or something, I can understand them putting it there. Art is, after all, only valuable for the feelings it instills in the beholder.
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 16:13   #21
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
i don't see anyone on this forum disagreeing with the following outline:
art is a 'good thing'
the head was a piece of art (mediocre, but better than i could do)
the plinth was not,
I would dispute some of that, as I've said. I don't think it means very much at all.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 22:53   #22
dda
USS Oklahoma

Quote:
perhaps a complete thought?
I object to any requirement that posters be required to post a complete thought as that would too severly limit the number of posters.
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 23:06   #23
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Art makes you think. this is all it needs to be a piece of art. How or who formed it is irrellevant. A piece can be by a famous painter but not art, if it doesn't make YOU think!

Pieces that are technically brilliant but do not make you think are masterpieces in artistry. this is the process of painting pictures. this is not art. It is only art if it makes you think. Intent is irrelevant. If a thousand monkies typed Hamlet it would still be equally brilliant. If you sit down and work it out or improvise it is of no value. Accidently discovering a piece of art is just as valuable. Art is out there already, we just have the pirvilage of finding it all.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 02:17   #24
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
On the issue of links - I would say there is nothing wrong with posting a link with a summary (infinitely preferable to just posting a link of course) - if you are doing to commence a debate.
given that your if-proposition did not come to pass I thank you for your agreement.
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 04:00   #25
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

Argentinas second goal against Serbia and Montenegro today is what i would call art.

Not to picky about what i call art, but it has something that moves me. If it's something like Paris Hilton singing a song and making me feel ill and moves me towards the toilet, i still wouldn't call it art. It has to be something that's done well, no matter if it makes me happy, mad or sad.