User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 4 Nov 2004, 14:20   #1
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
IT question

wrong forum etc etc

the machine im on at the moment is a p4 2.8 with 512 RAM running XP pro sp1, the 20Gb HDD is only 5 Gb full

so can anyone come up with any reasons why the hell its so SLOW
and, more importantly, why, every so often, explorer crashes for no apparent reason, and does random popups for no apparent reason

i have scanned it with F secure (our virus thing) and lavasoft ad aware and they are both coming up clean, also had a look at the C drive and cant see any obvious dodgy programmes.

anyone any suggestions?
Unread 4 Nov 2004, 14:25   #2
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold
Re: IT question

take one hammer and....

nah, dont have a clue m8.... try running a scan for spyware

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2004, 14:28   #3
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

one hd = bad. one of mine crashed a while ago so i have only one left in this computer. everything takes longer to load etc.
but i have no idea about the crashes, maybe broken ram?
Unread 4 Nov 2004, 14:28   #4
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

look at taskmanager and see whats eating up resources...
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2004, 14:48   #5
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

tried that, it claims that its running **** all thats eating resources, thats why im so confused
Unread 4 Nov 2004, 15:05   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Run a different spyware scan, defrag your HDDs, run MSCONFIG and check what's starting on your machine everytime you boot, check device manager for dodgy drivers/entries, try removing random pieces of non-essential hardware, update your drivers for everything.

If that fails, reformat cleanly and reinstall. If it's still slow then it's almost certainly some form of hardware problem. You could try swapping the RAM with another machine if you've got that option available.

I had a similar problem recently, reformatted and it was all fine. Windows just gets clogged up with crap over time.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Nov 2004, 15:05   #7
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

possible the hd is on its way out, a 20gb is pretty old these days.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 4 Nov 2004, 15:31   #8
roadrunner_0
cynic

its a new HDD, dell optiplex system so it uses a laptop HDD, reason i havent defragged is cos its only 5 Gb full, and that is from a clean intall of everything we need to work on it, nothing has been installed since

and i cant do a reinstall cos its a work machine and it just irritates me that i am going to have to call our crap IT dept who are going to find nothing wrong with it and refuse to do a reinstall so im going to be stuck with this crap
Unread 4 Nov 2004, 21:21   #9
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Failing harddrive, incorrect northbridge drivers or bad RAM, incorrect southbridge drivers or failing HDD controller, inadequate cooling on the processor causing it to throttle back to protect itself, harddrive using the wrong UDMA mode or worse still stuck in PIO mode...

In other words, it could be a number of things. Find a system diagnostics tool and run it.

And use the correct forum, you FAG!
Unread 4 Nov 2004, 23:52   #10
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

hmm
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 5 Nov 2004, 00:22   #11
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future

Read the event log. Big red crosses in it are bad yo.
Unread 6 Nov 2004, 02:01   #12
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

I'd go with 1 of meglamaniac suggestions and check the ram.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 05:41   #13
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

This is probably a little late, but did you try to run Spy Bot or other anti-spyware programs expept Adaware. Not sure if that's the correct name of the spyware program, but i've heard that running Lavasofts Adaware might not always be enough to stop spyware.

Sometimes a firewall like ZoneAlarm might also help.

If your only problem is while using Internet Explorer while connected to the internet, then using another browser then IE might help . Mozilla Firefox and older versions of Mozilla are much better then IE against Popups.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 15:28   #14
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I would avoid anything other than Lavasofts Ad-Aware or Safer-Networkings Spybot - Search and Destroy programs. There are other genuine spyware programs out there but far too many of them are fake and just add to the problem.

Also, with both of these utilities absolutely make sure you are using the most up to date version of the software, and I don't just mean having the latest definition files. Lavasoft are discontinuing support for Ad-Aware v6, download Ad-Aware SE if you do not have it already, not only will it make sure you have up-to-date definition files but this version seems to do a more thourough job of killing the nasties. Same applies to Spybot, current at version 1.3 I think, they had a couple of flaky beta releases prior to this that were not detecting spyware properly so make sure you have the most up to date version.

Run both programs and restart your machine after to make sure nothing is still resident in memory.

Also check for flaky drivers, get the latest version for each device you have many have known stability issues. Nvidia drivers and some Wi-Fi card drivers are known to cause these problems.

Put your Windows XP CD in your machine or make sure the CAB files are available to that machine somewhere then type the following in the Start->Run box: sfc /scannow
This will check all the important system files that Windows requires for problems and if it finds any that do not match it will copy a fresh version over the top.

That should get you off to a good start hopefully.