User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 Jan 2004, 03:01   #1
Ultramar
:)

Ultramar has a spectacular aura aboutUltramar has a spectacular aura aboutUltramar has a spectacular aura about
Buy ships from other players?

After reading the black market idea the 1st thing that popped into my head was that maybe ppl could buy ships from their galm8s ingame.... Therefore it would be like going back to the War/Science days where ppl have some of each fleet! Obviously some sort of Profit / VAT system would need to be implemented, eg. All ships bought from another player cost 120%-150% of original resource value, like in a shop, prices are higher than cost, and then also the player receiving payment would also get less than that because he is 'Taxed' by the 'Galactic Government' or something!

Might be interesting, however it might destroy the need for a Steal Race ofc

Just trying to think of something which might liven the game up a bit, and i doubt this idea would actually work in practice, but it might give sum1 else a new idea too!
Ultramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2004, 03:03   #2
ronnie
Kralizec

ronnie will become famous soon enoughronnie will become famous soon enough
Re: Buy ships from other players?

where wud it stop.

problem wud be this cud go for roids, constructions etc.

<Killmark> you do know what race i am right?
<Ronnie> is 'gay boy' a race ?
<Killmark> ronnie
<Killmark> stfu
ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 19:33   #3
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

What if you could only buy ships from ziks(atleast ships stolen from other races), and maybe at 120% of the value, so the ziks could have a chance of making money on selling ships to galm8's in a desparate situation. Maybe other races would hate ziks for taking advantage of desperate galm8's, but the ziks probably wouldn't care aslong as they get some extra income

Then again it could probably make gals with lots of zik-planets a nightmare to attack, atleast if ziks could both sell and buy ships.

Personally i think it would be a bad idea to be able to buy ships from galm8's either if only ziks could sell or all races, cause then ppl could borrow resources from the galfund, buy alot of ships, and then sell the ships back again when they aren't needed anymore, pay back the resources used minus the resources that got taxed. So i think the Black Market would be a better idea.

Last edited by Pilatus; 26 Jan 2004 at 19:40.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Jan 2004, 20:06   #4
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

people are only going to buy ships if it's to their advantage to do so, which means they'll either:

produce faster
give access to other ships
produce cheaper

if they produce faster at no extra cost then it'll make defence much easier, in order to balance that defence would have to be harder to start with. overall, would this be a positive step?

if it gives access to different ships, it'd have to be at significant cost, otherwise playing zik would be pointless (assuming they steal things, which seems to have been the assumption for the rest of the thread). this would make it unattractive to players, as it would cost them score. overall, would this be used?

if it gives cheaper ships then people will always use it in order to get bigger planets. this would be hugely open to exploitation. overall, would this be a positive step?

-mist
the thoughts in this thread represent my own thoughts, and as such do not represent the thoughts of the pateam or the development of pa
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Feb 2004, 20:00   #5
Helix

Helix will become famous soon enoughHelix will become famous soon enough

This idea is very bad because there is a reason for the unique races. In the last round most races had one class of ships they could concentrate on. However no race was able to build a fleet with one class of ships that targetted all ships. This made defending succesfully a much more real possibility. However, the ability to purchase ships just gives a huge benefit to the larger planets (which I wouldn't mind being a large planet myself I would have loved to be able to buy a couple thousand broadswords off of a zik to complete my CR fleet)

The fact of the matter is that having one person being able to have one class that is relatively efficient against all classes of ships is a bad idea. (round 9.5 zik FI anyone?)
Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2004, 16:31   #6
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

I think this would be a great idea...

Make them from all races, not just zik, because even other races get rid of old inventory. for 75% but perhaps their stats are reduced a bit... and the ETA to get them to your planet is around 12 ticks.. so that you couldnt buy a whole lot to defend attackes because by the time you got them the attack would be over..

and you can only buy ships from people who have an higher score than you...

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Feb 2004, 20:22   #7
cbk100

cbk100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramar

Might be interesting, however it might destroy the need for a Steal Race ofc

Why pay for something you can steal? :-)

Zik steal race would be just as good as it has always been. A thing like the market you descripe will not change that.

cbk
cbk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Feb 2004, 21:16   #8
Killerbij
Roidhumper

Killerbij is an unknown quantity at this point

Buying ships from another race should be more expensive though. Something like 3 times more expensive and I think it could work without destroying the balance. This would force players to make some trade-offs instead of establishing elite fleet combos.
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 13:40   #9
Pilatus

If the price for buying ships from galm8's, then there would be no use in having the rule that resources from the galfund cannot be donated to galmembers over the gals planets avarage score. I don't think anyone would by ships for 3 times the price, except to help a galm8 to gain more score.

Maybe it could be interesting with a black market, where ziks could be able to sell ships, and other races could buy ships that belonged to their own race but atleast to be able to buy ships that they haven't finished the research for. Atleast that could add an advantage to one of the races.

I'm still against the possiblilty of being able to buy ships in the game, and i think it would be hard to set it up so that not only n00bs or ppl findind a vulnerability in it would use it.
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 17:41   #10
Killerbij
Roidhumper

Killerbij is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatus
If the price for buying ships from galm8's, then there would be no use in having the rule that resources from the galfund cannot be donated to galmembers over the gals planets avarage score. I don't think anyone would by ships for 3 times the price, except to help a galm8 to gain more score.

Maybe it could be interesting with a black market, where ziks could be able to sell ships, and other races could buy ships that belonged to their own race but atleast to be able to buy ships that they haven't finished the research for. Atleast that could add an advantage to one of the races.

I'm still against the possiblilty of being able to buy ships in the game, and i think it would be hard to set it up so that not only n00bs or ppl findind a vulnerability in it would use it.
I wanted to say that the 3 times was not for buying from galmates; instead it would be a fixed universal black market price. So you could buy 1 spider or +/- 3 interceptors if you were terran. (the spiders on the black market) That are the kind of tradeoffs you would need to make.
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 17:57   #11
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

if you want access to all the ships, why not just keep races are they are at the moment?

-mist
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 21:13   #12
Pilatus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbij
I wanted to say that the 3 times was not for buying from galmates; instead it would be a fixed universal black market price. So you could buy 1 spider or +/- 3 interceptors if you were terran. (the spiders on the black market) That are the kind of tradeoffs you would need to make.
Ok, think i got your point now. I think it could be interested if it were done right. Atleast i think it could be interesting early in the round when ppl have only unitscans, then you could fool someone to believe you were terran by buying some terrans ships, and use those ships in a wave to fool your opponent. Ofcause for that to be an option, i think there would have to be more score for killing ships and a little less for the ships.

By the with the black market should it also be able to sell ships, or only to buy them. Maybe a scrapyard where you could get some resources back from ships you regret buying, could be cool. Maybe with a 50-70% refund of what you wasted on'em. But if there should be something like a scapyard or a black market where you could sell ships, then i think it should be closed for selling ships the last month of the round. If not Lemming runs could be to difficult to defend against.