User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 17 Jan 2003, 23:20   #1
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Foo Fighters - One By One

I've had a careful look over the rules and although I'm not totally certain, I think that this is allowed.

-----

I own the latest Foo Fighthters album and an mp3 player; since it's a top quality album, I'd like to be able to transfer the tracks onto there. Under the laws of the British Government, this isn't illegal since you're allowed to make one copy for your personal use.

Unfortunatly, when I try to rip it with Audio Catalyst 2.0 (my usual ripping program) it crahes my computer after a few seconds of my cd drive making some really nasty sounds.

So - does anyone know how to get past this? I've tried Google and although I've found a couple of sites saying that they DID get past it, they didn't say how and e-mails asking how haven't received any reply.

If anyone could help me, I'd be very grateful.

Nonentity.
Unread 18 Jan 2003, 04:24   #2
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about
I don't think the mods would like it if we gave any help on this subject. After all we don't know if you own the cd or not. I think you should just keep searching in google, or if it dosen't help then just keep on playing the cd on your cd player.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2003, 11:26   #3
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
Read Useful Programs

there's a small discussion about a cd ripping program
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2003, 11:57   #4
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
This might be caused by a Corrupt Disk (as opposed to a Compact Disk), are you able to play the cd normally with the computer?
Unread 18 Jan 2003, 12:05   #5
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
NEWSFLASH: JOLT IN DMCA LAWSUIT SHOCKER!

Actually being serious for a moment, it just occirred to me that if it is a weird copy protection system and we point you in the direction of a tool to get round it then someone in th US reads this are Jolt left open to the DMCA? Recent lawsuits seem to indicate that anyone with American customers is potentially liable.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2003, 12:12   #6
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Gayle28uk
NEWSFLASH: JOLT IN DMCA LAWSUIT SHOCKER!
In further news, RIAA lawyers have started their siege of Jolt HQ. Within the timespan of one hour, legal forms surrounding the building have reached the second floor. Jolt Management is expected to issue their surrender soon, technicians are unsure of how much more the building can take.
Unread 18 Jan 2003, 12:13   #7
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
In further news, RIAA lawyers have started their siege of Jolt HQ. Within the timespan of one hour, legal forms surrounding the building have reached the second floor. Jolt Management is expected to issue their surrender soon, technicians are unsure of how much more the building can take.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 18 Jan 2003, 16:23   #8
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Yes I can talk about this as I assume you're telling the truth.

There are some copy protections that cause CD drives to fail and crash the system. Normally, these also prevent the disk from being played in a PC as well.
If you can play the disk, try another ripping program (Musicmatch, AltoMP3, even the Windows Media Player ripper if you must just to check).

I read somewhere (an issue of PCF I think) that several of the most popular copy protections rely on putting bad data right at the edge of the disc causing errors when it gets read. This shouldn't screw up normal CD players because that data is stored in a way outside of the audio CD standard so they don't look for it. PCs DO look for it though, as they have to support no end of disk types.
The funny thing is, the way to beat it is to draw a thin black line around the edge of the disk in permanent marker.

Unread 18 Jan 2003, 17:22   #9
Idi

Re: Foo Fighters - One By One

Quote:
Originally posted by Nonentity
I've had a careful look over the rules and although I'm not totally certain, I think that this is allowed.

-----

I own the latest Foo Fighthters album and an mp3 player; since it's a top quality album, I'd like to be able to transfer the tracks onto there. Under the laws of the British Government, this isn't illegal since you're allowed to make one copy for your personal use.

Unfortunatly, when I try to rip it with Audio Catalyst 2.0 (my usual ripping program) it crahes my computer after a few seconds of my cd drive making some really nasty sounds.

So - does anyone know how to get past this? I've tried Google and although I've found a couple of sites saying that they DID get past it, they didn't say how and e-mails asking how haven't received any reply.

If anyone could help me, I'd be very grateful.

Nonentity.
ok this is what you do, dont physically alter the cd copy it if you can then regardless, go back to the shop and demand a refund as it is not a compact disc! if they dont give you a refund you can join this big consortium of people (for free) who are all suing because they are buying these 'cds' that are being mislabled!
Unread 18 Jan 2003, 17:39   #10
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point
use EAC - Exact Audio Copyer.
It takes backup of your cd (which you've paid for and is fully yours ofc) + compresses the .avi files to .mp3 if you wish.
I have done it myself with that particular cd, allthough I'm using ogg vorbis.

This is completely legal.
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2003, 18:32   #11
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by mens
This is completely legal.
...in the UK. Detailing how to circumvent copy protection however makes you liable to prosecution under the DMCA in the US. As Jolt (and PA) both have US based users there's scope for prosecution as shown by the recent decision on whether the company responsible for Kazaa can be sued.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 18 Jan 2003, 18:48   #12
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Nobs to the DMCA and the RIAA. This is a forum hosted on UK servers.
If the RIAA want me in a US court for detailing how to play CDs while I'm in the UK using UK lines and routers and UK servers, then I want every US citizen who is under the UK legal driving age who drives on roads in the US in a UK court for driving without a valid licence.

Come and get me you stupid arrogant american bastards.

*ahem*
Unread 18 Jan 2003, 19:09   #13
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
Nobs to the DMCA and the RIAA.
I totally agree \o/

Unfortunately the US courts have decided that doing business with American citizens (in California at least) makes you liable to their laws. I'd love to see someone tell the where to get off though

[edit]Almost forgot the obligatory IANAL [/edit]
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 18 Jan 2003, 23:07   #14
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
Nobs to the DMCA and the RIAA. This is a forum hosted on UK servers.
If the RIAA want me in a US court for detailing how to play CDs while I'm in the UK using UK lines and routers and UK servers, then I want every US citizen who is under the UK legal driving age who drives on roads in the US in a UK court for driving without a valid licence.

Come and get me you stupid arrogant american bastards.

*ahem*
If someone invites you over to america for a job interview, dont go, its the feebs!

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2003, 00:37   #15
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I have EAC now but mens - how do you do it? I tried to copy the cd but there were regular errors where the song cut out for a tiny bit then continued.

PM me if it's easier
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 21:07   #16
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
If nothing else helps....

... Try an analog copy....

Just connect a CD-Player to your Soundcards INPUT! Then go to Start, Run, sndrec32.exe, and once you started playing the CD (and you can hear the sound coming out of your speakers), press record...
Then save the file as CD Quality Wave. Now you can convert them to an MP3 file using AudioCatalyst...

[You may need to check your systems sound settings for this to work, i.e. Input enabled. If you dont have Input, use Micro]

Oh, and SndRec32 might be a bad choice as for longer tracks it wants to store alle data into the RAM which CAN be too small... Maybe try programs like SoundForge or so.....
Unread 20 Jan 2003, 22:42   #17
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by BesigedB
When ripping cds to mp3 nothing comes close to exact audio copy (and someone even made a comprehensive tutorial as the beast is confusing to set up *first time*) - from then on in you hit 'mp3' and you are off
if that doesnt work you will have to go analog, or take a pen to the copy protection.