User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 11 Jan 2003, 01:26   #1
Mong
Forever Delayed

Mong is on a distinguished road
Win2K. Copying the entire C disk.

Hi all.

I got a new HD. I figure I'd simply prepare it (with Partition Magic) and then copy my existing one onto it.

However using Win2k, there's certain files that can't be accessed (runtime sharing violations). But if I boot using a bootdisk, it only likes a:\ and refuses to acknowledge the existence of any hard drives.

Ideas? I *really* can't be arsed reinstalling Win2K and all my software as I already did that a month ago!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

<vampy> plus i hate people ... i despise humanity as a whole

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Mong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 01:41   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Keep the old harddrive as primary master.
Install the new harddrive as primary slave.

Download and install Norton Ghost, and create the Ghost boot disk.
Boot off the disk and clone the primary master onto the primary slave - Ghost gives you the option to resize the partition if necessary and unlike partition magic this doesn't screw anything up.

Result - an exact copy of your old drive on the new one (possibly with a bit more space).

Unread 11 Jan 2003, 01:45   #3
Mong
Forever Delayed

Ta. But I'm giving the older (20gb) HD to my Dad to replace his ageing 4.3gb!

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

pablissimo "I'm still geting over the fact you just posted a pic of your own vomit"
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 01:51   #4
Mong
Forever Delayed

Norton Ghost is 40meg... I'm on dialup! Any smaller options?

M.

O2 Rip-off campaign

Unread 11 Jan 2003, 02:11   #5
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Er, once you've cloned the old drive onto the new one there is no reason for you to keep the old one - in fact the old one would have to be removed or reformatted anyway (you can't have 2 active partitions).

When the clone is complete, remove the old drive and connect the new one as primary master.

Afaik there is no tool other than Ghost which does the job Ghost does anywhere near as well or reliably. 40Mb on dialup is 2 hours, give or take - set it going and go to bed.

Unread 11 Jan 2003, 04:46   #6
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
Ive not tested this as a solution, but heres my idea.

Just boot into Win2k's recovery console (accessible from setup cd), it will ask for Administrator password etc etc.

Then just do (Assuming c->d): xcopy c:\ d:\ /s/e

I do have a sneaky suspicion however, that the SAM database would still be locked, and the copy may fail, no way to tell without trying. Im not even sure if the xcopy command will be allowed in the console either.

A quick not in case you do try, the standard machine policy is only to allow access to the system root and windows folder from the recovery console. This can be rectified by adjusting the local security setting on the machine (presuming there are no domain options overriding it) using the MMC Local Secuirity Snap in (Programs->Adminsitrative Tools->Local Security Settins). The setting is under, Security Settings->Local Policies->Security Options->Recover Console: Allow floppy copy and access to all drives and all folders.
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 14:16   #7
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
You will need an ntfs boot disk if you want it to recognise ntfs hard drives.

edit: That will mean that the SAM database etc *will* be unlocked as windows isnt running at all

Last edited by BesigedB; 11 Jan 2003 at 14:26.
BesigedB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 14:34   #8
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Just install win2k for a second time on another partition, then boot with the second 2k and copy the old.
If you manage to get an istallation going on the other partition you're set (as I don't know if it ALLOWS you to install it twice). Dual booting is taken care of by the installation...

Ofcourse you could try what RR said first.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 18:39   #9
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Raging.Retard
Ive not tested this as a solution, but heres my idea.

Just boot into Win2k's recovery console (accessible from setup cd), it will ask for Administrator password etc etc.

Then just do (Assuming c->d): xcopy c:\ d:\ /s/e

Most likely this wouldn't work at all. The recovery console is for recovery only. I think there's some security issues that only let you copy files to your system but not from the system.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 21:08   #10
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Pilatus
Most likely this wouldn't work at all. The recovery console is for recovery only. I think there's some security issues that only let you copy files to your system but not from the system.
Hence the big explanation at the end to allow global file access. Thanks for reading the whole post.
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 21:31   #11
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Still won't work.

a) xcopy is not available at the recovery console.
b) the recovery console IS windows, just without most of the services loaded (including the GUI). There are still services running, and they will have lockdowns on whatever files or folders they depend on.
c) the SAM database will be locked, along with other security related files
d) the copied drive would not be bootable as copy doesn't copy the MBR

I fail to see the problem with using Ghost (or equivilant if you can find it). So it takes 2 hours to download? You can do that while you're asleep, and last time I used it it took about an hour to clone a 40Gb drive onto a 60Gb one. After that was done all I had to do was remove the 40Gb drive and move the 60Gb one onto primary master and boot - that's it; no additional config or setup, and everything exactly how it was.
Compare that to reinstalling windows and every application, rebuilding all your settings and getting everything back how you like it. That's more like 12+ hours of work - 12 hours of sitting in front of the computer doing tedious tasks like rebooting after ever second install and not being able to leave it for 5 minutes without yet another dialog box popping up asking for CD 2 or something.

Which would you choose?
2 hours in bed + 1 hour watching TV while the drive gets cloned, or 12 hours soaking up the ions in front of the monitor?
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Unread 12 Jan 2003, 01:44   #12
Idi

just download norton ghost and bite the bullet with the modem.

itll do exactly what you want
other stuff doesnt
its easy to use

stop being a ****ing whiny mother ****er!

disdain++