User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Apr 2004, 21:45   #101
Karmulian
Get Stuffed

Karmulian is on a distinguished road
Re: Bot Plannets

Bot planets are something we are currently considering.. mist has been assigned to look into it.. so please continue to discuss
Karmulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2004, 21:53   #102
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future
Re: [DISCUSS]Bot Plannets

the biggest headache i can see with them is coding them in the first place and then balenceing them, but the idea itslef is interesting

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2004, 22:02   #103
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

There's no need to have bot planets. I don't want to play against bots I want to play the evil ... alliance.

Bots are a tool to get a steady flow of roids into the game. With more attracktive free planets you can do that as well. Or give every planet 1 free extra roid/10 ticks. Send over the easterbunny/santa claus each week.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2004, 22:07   #104
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalVirtus
the biggest headache i can see with them is coding them in the first place and then balenceing them, but the idea itslef is interesting
the biggest headache is making them learn from their mistakes :/ the second biggest is making sure they can function at a range of skill levels and still mimic humans adequatley

-mist
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2004, 22:55   #105
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

No to bot planets for now.

Feel free to experiment, and possibly run them in speedgames and for testing purposes. But please - there is not nearly enough time to draw them up, test them extensively and discover all the implications. By all means develop them, but do not work to get them ready for R11. A dramatic game change such as this can not be anything less than perfect and needs a lot of live action testing - more than a single beta period.
Unread 16 Apr 2004, 23:01   #106
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

wow, i thought PA team had disregard this...

Im not going to comment further really, accept to say that i, as a non-allied player of PA am for Bots. Read my posts above for further information :-). (tired, maybe later) I agree with leshy though, not for round 11 unless you've already been working them. They need to get a good solid testing in first :-).

Once you get bots, your only a hop-skitch away from being able to distribute PA off line as a demo, and increase your name recognition by giveing it to sites such as www.gamehippo.com, ect ect :-)

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2004, 23:51   #107
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
No to bot planets for now.

Feel free to experiment, and possibly run them in speedgames and for testing purposes. But please - there is not nearly enough time to draw them up, test them extensively and discover all the implications. By all means develop them, but do not work to get them ready for R11. A dramatic game change such as this can not be anything less than perfect and needs a lot of live action testing - more than a single beta period.
realistically, you may have a point. just from the initial scribblings i can see that bots are going to be hugely complicated - particularly as they have to be able to deal with all the game's admin options, not just what the players are seeing for the current game setup. also, obviously, they're going to need a lot of testing, and untill they're at least designed there's no way of knowing how fast they'll be able to tick - ie how fast they can even be tested...

however, i think bots are something that needs to be done. not sure about qdeathstar's idea of marketing a paol type game, as i think the bots will be self contained, rather than allying with humans - and being on your own against an alliance of bots wouldn't do you good :P upshot of that being that they need to be started, so a start is being made

-mist
mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Apr 2004, 23:59   #108
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

Yeah, mist, its not going to be anything special, but a way to get PA out to the masses again would be beneficial. That would be one way..

Unread 17 Apr 2004, 07:43   #109
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

There is an off line version of PA that uses automated planets bots. You always win that game, eventhough you have effectively no alliance, while the bots do. Unless you mimic being online 24/7, they will lose. For bots to work they will need to work effectively together in alliances/groups, and be able to attack like that as well. Which will be hard to code. Especially if you want to reward skilled playing. Because you'll have to add all the skill people build up in years into a bunch of bots.

BTW: If I get bashed by a bot I will quit.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2004, 11:59   #110
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

So you want bots to be skilled, but you don't want them to take down your planet.
Unread 17 Apr 2004, 12:47   #111
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

i'm sure they could be programmed to roid ratehr than purposefully kill - of course killing can;t allways be avoided

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Apr 2004, 22:34   #112
Isambard

Isambard is an unknown quantity at this point

I have often thought of Bot planets, and having them serve as a source of roids for lower ranked players.

PA is a viscious game, to grow you must take from others, normally those smaller than yourself. This filters down the food chain to the n00bs, he keep getting hit. But it is the n00bs we need to turn into regular players to keep the game alive.

My idea is that many smaller bot planets could exist. They dont even need to be run properly, each tick they could get free 1 random roid and a random ship for thier race (with FI coming more often than BS class).

These planets would be kept too small for most players to attack, but would supply roids to smaller players, give them good targets to attack and so on.
Isambard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Aug 2004, 04:48   #113
Paul_Atreides
YA HYA CHOUHADA!!!!!!!!!!

Paul_Atreides is an unknown quantity at this point

sience you are allk concerd about one person/group desining the bots, hold a contest 4 ppl who want to participate, have them desin it, then combine the desins, so it cant b 1 group/persondesining them, thn have the pa team check it, then do a beta, or I have a friend who is really good with this kind of thing, and he's never heard of the game, so if we can get some ppl like him to desine it, it cant b biest, they have nothing to gain, just give them a copy of the basic game to test it, then the PA team can do there own testin, and then if they approve, they can implamentent in the next roynd.

so what do u think

PS,
sorry for anney misspells, it is almost midnight, and i have 2 wear an eye pacth, don't ask.
Paul_Atreides is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2006, 22:34   #114
BlueDemon

BlueDemon is on a distinguished road

I know this is old news, but I'm cruisin the forums and need something to do anyways.
Seems to me that if your have those willing to pay for a bots account, maybe it's not a bad idea. set up a seperate game, not sure how difficult this would be, for bots only and enter at your own risk. As long as everybody that plays knows up front they more than likely are dealing with bots.........
Would mean an increase in funds for PA, just some thoughts, now you can bash me for commenting on an old thread
BlueDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 May 2006, 22:36   #115
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

I don't hope they get a huge bug or something so they all launch on one planet
Unread 13 May 2006, 03:07   #116
Robsch

Robsch is on a distinguished road

guess you have to change the user agreement then:
If PA-Crew uses bots then there is no point in disallowing bots to be used by other users - haha you fight bots for years now and suddenly you change your mind and see them as enrichment of the game? *lol*
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
Robsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2006, 04:25   #117
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDemon
I know this is old news, but I'm cruisin the forums and need something to do anyways.
Seems to me that if your have those willing to pay for a bots account, maybe it's not a bad idea. set up a seperate game, not sure how difficult this would be, for bots only and enter at your own risk. As long as everybody that plays knows up front they more than likely are dealing with bots.........
Would mean an increase in funds for PA, just some thoughts, now you can bash me for commenting on an old thread
its more then just old, its two years old
Unread 13 May 2006, 04:28   #118
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

The bot planets as I see them:
- Located in unexplored outer space, +2 eta to reach them
- Unknown race, but apparently not advanced enough to launch attacks with the usual ships. However as in Starship Troopers, they could launch asteroids (killing structures) only to planets that have stolen from them.
- They defend themselves with PDS
- On the galaxy screen they appear only with name and coords (need a scan to find the number of roids they have).
Unread 13 May 2006, 09:19   #119
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsch
guess you have to change the user agreement then:
If PA-Crew uses bots then there is no point in disallowing bots to be used by other users - haha you fight bots for years now and suddenly you change your mind and see them as enrichment of the game? *lol*
I don't see how that works.

Bots which control planets in order to enlarge the universe would be a very different aspect of the universe as opposed to players cheating in order to further their position.

Are you Killmark's brother? Sister? Or just his goldfish?
Unread 13 May 2006, 12:03   #120
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

I can actually see his point - imagine being roided by bots, or even worse, piggied. You'd be pretty p*ssed off if you stayed up to launch and defend yourself, and then a bot joins in and effectively steals your roids.

However, I do think that bot planets would be very nice, perhaps just as roid initiators and fleet builders perhaps. Let noobies get the roids from trial and error on bot fleets.

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jun 2006, 22:03   #121
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDemon

Not only is this two years old, but your missing the point of the post. The bot planets would be just like any other planet. 2 years ago there was hardly anyone playing. This would artificially increase the ammount of players, they wouldnt behave like slave planets, but instead just like any other planet...

Unread 3 Jun 2006, 22:12   #122
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

Don't like the idea of bot-planets myself. See the point in'em though, and would like bot-planets if it helped new planets with draining attacks away from them. If bot-planets would help against new planets getting targetting by everyone looking for easy roids, then i would say yes. If it could make it possible for top 100 planets or top 10 alliances to expoit bot planets for their victory, i would vote no against them.
Unread 4 Jun 2006, 09:18   #123
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future
Re: Bot Plannets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdeathstar
Being that we are facing dwindling numbers.. and bot planets have existed in the past.. .why not bring them back, although under new managment OFC..

As a way to make the game funner, both with more targets/attackers... why not add bot planets which attack/defend/build in our universe. As these are bot-planets, not real planets, they will have no fear of attacking bigger planets. Infact, the bigger you are, the more chance of getting attacked.

Additionaly there ticks could be 1/2 as much as normal planets..

This would add a challange to the game, as well as give the foundation for a playable-single-player demo that would spread the word. Instead of having to use Jolt's suver to give people a game, instead give them the demo they can play on there computer.

I really think this a good idea, although i does change what planetarion is (ofc) but, i mean, as PAteam has said.. a change is indeed needed

If its successfull enough, the demo, perhaps you may eventually be able to make it an addon to PA.. so people can play pa even when they are way from there internet connection..

THe biggest benifit would be that you would be able to submit it to places like fileplanet and gameshippo... ect

But the bots would be in game as well, to make the whole game more fun, and cut down on power blocking.. i think

I like this idea ^^

Ever been attacked by a p3nguin? You get left a bit black and white!

p3nguin Founder
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2006, 11:13   #124
robban1

robban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these partsrobban1 is infamous around these parts

isnt the whole idea of bots some kind of lifesupport for the game?

oh if you guys do bots do them stupid enough so they can mimic the stupidity of the ppl playing the game otherwhise there is a risk that [BOTS] might win
robban1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Jun 2006, 12:29   #125
Ramihyn
Emperor

Ramihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud ofRamihyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by robban1
isnt the whole idea of bots some kind of lifesupport for the game?

oh if you guys do bots do them stupid enough so they can mimic the stupidity of the ppl playing the game otherwhise there is a risk that [BOTS] might win
By now its completely impossible to make bots without having people yelling that they ruin the game and they said so in advance. Basically they should do contradicting things and on top of all - not affect the game

They should be a challenge to the top, but not really affect them. They should be cheap targets for low-score players, but they should never be abusable as "farms" or even seriously harm low-score players.

The burden on bots by now is higher than the burden on any player, its completely silly.
Ramihyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jun 2006, 09:15   #126
Lοki
God of Fire and Mischief

Lοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the rough

I wouldn't like the idea of bots in the game. If I attack I want some person out there to think "sheet, my roids are gone" or it's not fun anymore... it's the people that I play this game for, not the so wonderful game mechanics
Lοki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2006, 18:05   #127
mist
Jolt's best friend

the largest problem that faced bot planets when this thread was young seemed to be that noone could decide what they should really do.
Unread 9 Jun 2006, 18:18   #128
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
the largest problem that faced bot planets when this thread was young seemed to be that noone could decide what they should really do.
iirc you drew up a possible design for one, not sure if its still on the pateam forums but it would be a suggestion to dig the thread up if so as it was rather good.
Unread 9 Jun 2006, 21:14   #129
The_Tyrant
Giddy little...

The_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to allThe_Tyrant is a name known to all

was anything ever done? do we have skripts or whatever that run an account's to any level? I remember seeing something way back but it was pretty simple. How far did people get?

oh, and was the server load issue ever tested on a beta server or anything?
The_Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jun 2006, 22:42   #130
Phil^
Insomniac

the server load i dont think would be a problem unless they plan to have the bot script running at the same time as the ticker
it might be troublesome for speedgames, dependant on the number of bots ofc.
as far as im aware, one was never coded - but a design document was drawn up and discussed in pateam while i was there. Whats happened to it since I left pateam i have no idea.
Unread 16 Jun 2006, 21:05   #131
Veil05
NE

Veil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud ofVeil05 has much to be proud of

The problem i can see with this is that each bot would need to adopt its own tactic. If alliances can see a flaw in the way the bot planets play such as If u attack so many terrans with x amount of ships, the bots dont defend. people will abuse this system, just like every other system they abuse in this game that wont get them closed. however.. 50k extra planets would be sweet targets. lets hope its not a matrix-a-like movie, and they take over :O
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 11:45   #132
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Personally, i'd like to see a massive human v bot conflict for universal domination. It'd be like the Borg trying to take over - though humans would try and take potshots at other humans too, and the b0ts would smell fear and weakness and take advantage .

It could be made quite challenging; something different for PA anyway.

Regarding tactics, bottom-feeding Bots would only need to have standardised fleets that were scaleable. Eg, Terran Type 1 would have 30% of resources into Harpies, 20% Dreadnaughts, 10% Pegs, 10% Pho, 25% Behemoth and 5% Leviathian, whereas Terran Type 2 would have 10% of everything or whatever. Then, you could have a Terran Type 1 with 200 roids would have a fleet twice the size of a Terran Type 1 with 100 roids, however on a resource basis they would be of the same composition. Similarly for Terran Type 2's.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 13:53   #133
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

During MrBrick's temporary incumbency in the hot-seat the pair of us came up with something similar to that. It wasn't an alliance of bots per se, more like a single, distrubuted player. The bot network didn't just decide to randomly attack other players at all. The concept was that the whole universe would be classified by certain characteristics and then behaviours towards the classes of planets could be devised.

For instance, if multiple planets from a single alliance focussed their attacks on one or two bot planets, the network would become more hostile towards that alliance (exhibited in revenge attacks, or an increased propensity to defend more heavily when attacked by that alliance). So the more force an alliance put into attacking the bot network, the more force the bot network would respond with next time (like an escalation of hostilities). If a single planet attacked a bot planet then whilst the network may not respond immediately, it'd make a note of the source of the attack and perhaps retalliate later on in the round when it had the resources to do so, or when that planet had made enough of a nuisance of itself to overcome some internal threshold (for instance, if the planet's galaxy was generally attacking bot-planets then by becoming more hostile towards that galaxy, the bot network also becomes more hostile towards the planet from ages back)

Effectively they'd be like the borg in that scenario, they wouldn't actively do anything except built fleet until provoked. Could have been implemented either by having the bot network control proportions of races of planets equal to those prevalent in the universe at round-start, or by having a separate bot race that was tuned towards EMP and roid theft (for retalliation) rather than structure- and ship-destroying. It does allow for a huge humans-vs-bots conflict, but only should the human players decide to play the round that way.

Technologically whilst it would be a challenge to implement it's far from impossible, the underlying algorithms for creating this kind of simple target classification exist and are readily implementible. I'm however not sure that because it can be done, it should.
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2006, 15:25   #134
Thefoundation

Thefoundation is infamous around these partsThefoundation is infamous around these parts

or instead of wasting time and money into bot planets, just make PA free. ( = twice as many players)
Thefoundation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jun 2006, 04:23   #135
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
If a single planet attacked a bot planet then whilst the network may not respond immediately, it'd make a note of the source of the attack and perhaps retalliate later on in the round when it had the resources to do so, or when that planet had made enough of a nuisance of itself to overcome some internal threshold (for instance, if the planet's galaxy was generally attacking bot-planets then by becoming more hostile towards that galaxy, the bot network also becomes more hostile towards the planet from ages back).
That's an interesting approach, but if Bots exist in the PA universe in order to be the bottom tier of planets for new and inexperienced and inactive players to feed upon, then the planets who get hit the most by the bots are those least able to defend themselves. Yes, i know you said that there was a time factor involved, but a week for active players is a really long time, but if you are a casual weekend only player, then a week isnt very long before retaliation.

If its a whole human vs bot type war, then that situation would be excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefoundation
or instead of wasting time and money into bot planets, just make PA free. ( = twice as many players)
If that was a practical solution, it would have been implemented already. Clearly, PA will be P2P for the forseeable future, and even doubling the playerbase is still prolly insufficient.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote