User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Jun 2005, 01:23   #1
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
FreeBSD

Anyone used it? What's it like compared to Linux? Can you still play with the kernel? Do they have a high-res version of the console like you can get in Linux?

Cheers, Weeks.

p.s I'm using slackware, so i'm not afraid of the console etc.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jun 2005, 03:00   #2
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about
Re: FreeBSD

Tbh, i prefer Linux (atleast Slackware) instead of FreeBSD. Things aren't quite as easy in FreeBSD as in Linux, but you shouldn't have to much problems with the installation if you follow the instructions in the handbook. If you like messing around with Linux, i recommends you to atleast try out FreeBSD. Personally i prefer NetBSD over FreeBSD, but i recomend you to start with FreeBSD, since NetBSD is a lot harder to install.

You can still play with the kernel. It's a bit different ofcause. In FreeBSD you simply edit a text file. But don't let that scare you. It's easy if you use the instructions in the FreeBSD handbook, and the GENERIC kernel config file.

As for the console, i'm not sure but i think your able to get a high res of the console. You'll might have to compile a new kernel in order to do so.

Installing FreeBSD should probably be easier then installing Slackware. The most noticable difference is partitioning. You first have to create a slice(can be compared to an extended partiion), and then you create volumes on it. The default setup on volumes can make a problem for you if you have a small harddrive. On my last installation of FreeBSD, the /tmp were to small.

The FreeBSD handbook (It's a great handbook) can be downloaded at: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/do...ooks/handbook/
And if your looking for additional information, then take a look at www.bsdforums.org

If your thinking about trying it out, then you should. Who knows, you might even like it better then Slackware

Last edited by Pilatus; 17 Jun 2005 at 12:39.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2005, 15:23   #3
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Thanks a lot! I'm really liking Slackware now (after trying ubuntu, fedora, debian (kernel panic: couldn't install) and gentoo), but I'm definitely going to give it a try.

I want to see the difference between ah-hoc unix (linux) and a more organised verion (*BSD).

What's NetBSD like?
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jun 2005, 21:41   #4
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

I've just installed NetBSD again. The biggest problem with it., compared to FreeBSD is the installation. But since you prefer Slackware, you'll probably like NetBSD. FreeBSD is alot easier to use, but if you like to mess around with an os that NetBSD is probably your best choice.

Last edited by Pilatus; 20 Jun 2005 at 11:15.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote