User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 6 Nov 2004, 04:53   #1
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about
Love Routing Protocols?

Need a routintg handbook?

But the best is:
Routing TCP/IP Volume I (CCIE Professional Development)
by Jeff Doyle

Cisco IP Routing Handbook, by Paul Carnick and more is the next best book.

The best one you can get free is:
Cisco Routing Handbook and TCP/IP Tutorial and Technical Overview by IBM
And for those of you that wan't a free referance of TCP/IP i'd recomend you to dl the great IBM book: TCP/IP Tutorial and Technical Overview
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 04:56   #2
Pilatus

Re: Love Routing Protocols?

Ignore this please, or flame me. I were drunk, and didn't know what i were doing.
Unread 13 Nov 2004, 21:08   #3
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

Unread 14 Nov 2004, 03:39   #4
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Actually it was of genuine interest to me but you did not specify where to get these free resources.
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 06:06   #5
Pilatus

Sorry, but not all of'em are free but here's some:
IBM Redbooks TCP/IP Tutorial and Technical Overview is free to download and a great reference to tcp/ip:

You can read it online here: http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redb.../gg243376.html
or download the whole book as pdf here:
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/gg243376.pdf

Just got informed that some of the link is kinda illegual. sorry about that. However there's lot's of info to be found at www.cisco.com.

If any of you are lookign for interesting cisco books,then take a look at the interesting books at amazona.
Most of the interesting books are ccie book, cause you don't need a certification to get ccie, so there's usually a good intro on most of the books.

Routing TCP/IP Volume I (CCIE Professional Development)
by Jeff Doyle is one of the books that i'll recommend. And Todd Lammle's CCNA books are recommended.

Last edited by Pilatus; 4 Dec 2004 at 04:56.
Unread 28 Nov 2004, 06:23   #6
Pilatus

And if your interesting in playing around with ip routing but can't afford an expensive cisco router (like me), you can download some open source routing progams for Linux/BSD that uses mostly the same commands as Cisco routers, then you can try to download it from one of the following addresses:
http://www.quagga.net/
http://www.zebra.org

Quagga is a newer version of zebra, but i've had less problems with zebra so i'll recommend zebra first. The nice thing about zebra/quagga is that if you need help with routing then most of the help can be found at www.cisco.com. The biggest difference between zebra/quagga and cisco, is that on zebra/quagga you'll have to telnet at port 2601-2608 depending on the Routing protocol your using.

Commands to start it is:
zebra -d (-d to start it like a deamon. Then telnet localhost.2601)
ripd -d
opsfd -d
bgpd -d
isisd -d(not sure if this is the correct command, and isis aint' supported on all versions of zebra).
IGRP and EIGRP aint supported, because it's propiotary(probably not spelled right).
Even though most of the commands are the same, you'll have to use a diffenrent telnet port for connecting and configuring the different protocols. I can't remember all of the port numbers, but for zebra it 2601 (you can make static ip routes here to null0 interface incase you don't have enough interfaces on your linux box to play round with.)
rip is 2602
ospf is 2604

zebra and quagga uses the same commands, so it's only recommended to have one of those installed at the same time.

With 2 pc's running vmware and zebra on both of'em and on the virtual pc's, you'll able to test alot of configurations

slackware 8.1 works well with vmware 3.0 and zebra, aslong as you create some empty folders in the /etc/rc.d folder. Not sure what's they're called, but the configuration process of vmware will ask you for the location of those folders. vmware ain't free though, but you should be albe to get a free demo of it.

Last edited by Pilatus; 28 Nov 2004 at 06:50.
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 05:05   #7
Pilatus

Even though i had to edit parts of my earlier thread, i'll still recommend zebra/quagga for cheap routers. If perfomance and support is the issue, then buy Cisco equipments. If not, then go for the cheaperst equipment you can find( yoy'll still have to consider quality over quantity), but make sure you'll get some support. Might be worth the money, even though it's RedHat or Novell support (there's probably lot's of companies that have support for their os and network protocols.).

If your consider a linux/bsd distro for networking, then consider NetBSD before FreeBSD, cause NetBSD got great performance. Or OpenBSD because of it's great security.
Unread 4 Dec 2004, 11:21   #8
Cyp
∞+♪˛

Cyp is an unknown quantity at this point

Does this use a love routing protocol?

(perhaps not strictly work safe -queball)

Last edited by queball; 4 Dec 2004 at 18:15.
Cyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Dec 2004, 01:08   #9
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

www.freesco.org

'nuff said.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Dec 2004, 05:44   #10
Pilatus

Thanks. Some interesting links there.
Here's a one too, that some of you might find interesting
(If you haven't checked it out already, ofcause).

http://www.routergod.com/
Unread 25 Dec 2004, 08:43   #11
aceanil

Wink Re: Love Routing Protocols?

The best site for networking (routing/switching) books is www.net130.com where you can download a lot of books including Routing TCP/IP Vol 1 of Jeff also and other books

Anil.