User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 3 Jul 2004, 16:03   #1
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society
Question linux-trouble (once again)

ok, so in an attempt to be cool i installed debian (testing or sarge or whatever it is called).
thats one nice system, i especially like that whole apt-idea.
everything works fine except for one thing:
if i have an open internet-connection (using pppoe) my xserver wont work correctly. i can log in with gdm, but kde takes about ten minutes to start and gnome wont start at all. if i shut down the the ppp-connection both start within a few seconds.
looks like some network-problem but i have no idea what to do about it
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 00:59   #2
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about
Re: linux-trouble (once again)

Sounds abit like the problems that i got on either NetBSD or FreeBSD(not sure which), after changing the hostname (don't know why i did it).

This probably won't help, but maybe it could help to add the ip-addresss you get from your inet-connection to your hostname in /etc/hosts.

Atleast , after i had changed my hostname, i had to be real patience to wait for the xserver to start. That were before i changed my hostname back to the original again.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 10:13   #3
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

the problem is ive got an dynamic ip-adress so i would have to change it every time i reconnect.
you are probably right though:
for some strange reason i cant ping localhost or 127.0.0.1. i have no idea why. didnt change anything.
i tried knoppix (which is the same as debian) and with that all works fine, but unfortunatly it wont let me do a dist-upgrade.
Unread 8 Jul 2004, 17:17   #4
Sundipper
Hourly Fee : $450

Sundipper is an unknown quantity at this point

For pinging 127.0.0.1, try to install the loopback-adapter first -- simply add 127.0.0.1 as localhost in your HOSTS file ..

Last edited by Sundipper; 8 Jul 2004 at 17:56.
Sundipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Aug 2004, 17:29   #5
geordish

have you got the loopback device configured? in /etc/network/interfaces make sure you have:

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

this will mean you can ping 127.0.0.1, to be able to ping localhost, you need a line in /etc/hosts
Unread 23 Aug 2004, 11:31   #6
wu_trax

it was the loopback device. there was nothing at all in /etc/network/interfaces, but for some strange reason pppoe worked anyway, even without configured networkcards