User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 May 2004, 22:45   #1
KraKto$is8
Lurker

KraKto$is8 is infamous around these parts
Tiral-Boot Win95OSR2, WinXPPro, Mandrake 10

I plan to have a Win95OSR2, WinXPPro, and Mandrake 10 trial-boot system on my other computer. How would I go about this? I've never used Linux before, is Mandrake good to start with? I have a copy of it (which is why I was gonna use it), but I could try and get another distro if it's highly recommended.
I presume I would have to partition my HDD into different formats (FAT32, NTFS etc)?
Unread 11 May 2004, 23:59   #2
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Tiral-Boot Win95OSR2, WinXPPro, Mandrake 10

Mandrake is probably the easiest to install and configure.

OK. You will need a FAT32 partition, an NTFS partition and a unpartitioned bit on your hard drive although then you may have to dick about with extended partitions that can cause more grief than anything. A 2nd drive would be a better option for Mandrake.

I can't remember what order you need to install XP and Win98 but they need doing first. Agoogle search should help you. I think it's Win95 then XP although I could be wrong. Once they are all happy then you can install Mandrake.

When it's installed all the software you will get the option to setup the bootloader. It should detect windows 95 and XP and add them to it.

As I have never tried doing this I can't really give more specific advice only pointers but I will ask, why win 95 and not 98 ? 95 is getting 'a little old' nowadays. (At least it isnt ME !)

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2004, 21:35   #3
KraKto$is8
Lurker

KraKto$is8 is infamous around these parts

Thanks for the advice.
If I remember correctly, you do need to install the older (i.e. Win95 or 98) before XP if you want to dual-boot.

Part of me still thinks fondly of 95. It's more stable than 98, and doesn't need reinstalling every year (as 98 was so prone to clogging). It'll also run faster on my old comp, and it has a nice old-school feel to it. It also doesn't have IE built into it, and no "user-friendly" web-style single-click features. But my main reason is for my antiquated TV Card software, which is unstable on any OS other than 95.
Unread 15 May 2004, 14:40   #4
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

You probably should consider using fat32 for the xp installation aswell(atleast if it's Win95 OSR2 your using). It's ofcause less secure to use fat32, but atleast you would be able to access the xp partition from win95. Atleast installing xp on a fat32 partition should make your life a little bit easier.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote