User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 19 Mar 2004, 16:04   #1
MotoX
Stolen

MotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these parts
Private Gals S...... bad

Private Gals will benefit those who belongs to an Alliance and the rest will be beaten like flies and leave this game faster then a pay check!

Sure it’s nice and fun to play with your closest friends but it ruins the game in the sense of attracting more/new players

Again will the game decrease in players and again will the “core” yell about not enough players!?

Will you all please grow up and finally accept that not just a few can keep this game going…. We need more people to play and since Jolt not gone make any effort to attract more players we the “old” community needs to!

Alliances (major ones) are not taking in new inexperienced players but still plays in the same “arena” as the few newcomers who arrives each new round – and every time they go for the newb… roids etc = they leave !

Some alliances do take on new players and all the credit to them but the rest who doesn’t and only plays to attract “hardcore players” sucks out the nerve of the game – cos they can still win even with new players in their ranks……

God why do I still bother?
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 16:29   #2
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
Re: Private Gals S...... bad

The game is dying anyway.
The people in the bigger alliances are those more likely to keep playing (wanting to be part of the community rather than for whatever the game does)
The people in the bigger alliances prefer private gals, therefore it makes sense to keep those people happy.
It gets discussed every single round, and there arguments for both sides, but having had a couple of random rounds, it's probably time for another with private gals...
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 16:32   #3
MotoX
Stolen

MotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these partsMotoX is infamous around these parts

Well you might have given up on this game, I haven't....
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 16:42   #4
General1
Rah's def wh0re

General1 will become famous soon enoughGeneral1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoX
Well you might have given up on this game, I haven't....
Alongside with PA crew u are the onlye one............
Rd4 ---> 246 24 10 Silverwolf of Limburg [TFD] [Cell] [NFU]
Rd5 ---> 34 11 19 The great Returning of me [Cell] [NFU]
Rd6----> 6 25 10 Chappa'ai of NOX Homeland (Whitebull) [Silver BC]
Rd7----> 18 18 1 Klaj Demon of Gateway from Hell [RAH]
Rd8----> 36 5 6 1 More TIME of Free Traders Inc [RAH]
Rd9----> 16 2 10 Clan McIntosh of Stardust Guardian [RAH]
Rd9.5 ---> 15 9 9 Nightshade of Sherwood forest [RAH]
Rd10 ----> [RAH]
General1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 17:02   #5
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
The game is dying anyway.
The people in the bigger alliances are those more likely to keep playing (wanting to be part of the community rather than for whatever the game does)
The people in the bigger alliances prefer private gals, therefore it makes sense to keep those people happy.
It gets discussed every single round, and there arguments for both sides, but having had a couple of random rounds, it's probably time for another with private gals...
Once again I'll point out that keeping the big alliances happy is where alot of the problems started. You dont design a game with the view of keeping the a large group of your current players who are at one extrame of the playing scale happy. Doing so just sees you produce a game thats not fun to play for anyone else and in many cases can result in the game not being fun even for the people who the games been designed to please. The game should be designed to have as broad appeal as possible as the current player base will obviously always shrink no matter how good the game is (people will always get other commitments or get bored and leave) as you need people coming in to take over from those who quit. By focusing on the current playerbase so much and reacting to the "We will quit" threats when changes they dont like are announced the fate of the game pretty much got set in stone.

As for saying it was time to try private galaxies again imho it wasnt. It was time to try something differnt, in particular private packs (groups of 3 mixed with other groups of 3 to make galaxies of 15) which have the ability to force mixing, allowing you to play with friends, guarenting some activity in the galaxy, making it hard for any alliance to have majority control of a galaxy (getting 3 of your packs in the same galaxy would be quite a feat) , pretty much giving most of the good aspects of each system and solving some of the problems that each galaxy type has given in the past. But for some reason , no matter how many people say its a good idea the Creators/PATeam have refused to even consider the setup
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 17:09   #6
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Once again I'll point out that keeping the big alliances happy is where alot of the problems started. You dont design a game with the view of keeping the a large group of your current players who are at one extrame of the playing scale happy. Doing so just sees you produce a game thats not fun to play for anyone else and in many cases can result in the game not being fun even for the people who the games been designed to please. The game should be designed to have as broad appeal as possible as the current player base will obviously always shrink no matter how good the game is (people will always get other commitments or get bored and leave) as you need people coming in to take over from those who quit. By focusing on the current playerbase so much and reacting to the "We will quit" threats when changes they dont like are announced the fate of the game pretty much got set in stone.
I couldn't agree more, if this were a new game being talked about. But it's not. There's no way, without a massive (10k+) influx of players that the game can get better, and without it getting better, there will be hardly any new players. Perfect example of a viscious circle, with no realistic way out. Best that can be hoped for is to give as much fun, to as many people as possible while the game's still alive, imo of course
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 18:53   #7
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

did big alliances actually want private gals?

thats the question - i know of many alliances againt them

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 19:02   #8
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's amusing to see how people seem to think that random galaxies are actually still in any way helping integration into the game, and that alliance players in random galaxies actually work with the newbies in their galaxy.
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 20:55   #9
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

It doesnt have to be a new game, admittedly we are at a stage now where we are close to (if we havent crossed) the point of no return but it doesnt excuse the fact that things havent been done to try and turn things around and shouldnt mean the towel is thrown in and attempts to turn things around made.

Each round the games moved further and further towards the top end of the game either due to changes which made it easier for them or due to the alarming rate that the smaller players dissapeared. As a small player its hard to justify paying the money involved, even if it was just $1 you would have to really consider the payment because it comes across as a waste of money for a game where you have no fun because your constantly get bashed. Its the exodus of the small players which has caused PA's problems, the number of big players quitting the game is small in comparrision and many of those have quit as a consequence of the small players leaving. Now it was obvious as soon as r6 started that this was the problem and it should have been obvious to them that the key was to make the game fun once again for the small players but it continued to get more and more in the top players favour giving the small players nothing to play for as they just knew they would be bashed within a week. Changes should have been on going to keep the game more balanced for the smaller players from the off becuase if you can offer them some fun they will continue playing, you leave them to die and they wont be back. The lack of effort to redress the balance in the past has now left us in this situation where we now need drastic changes to get the game accessable for all once again but this doesnt mean its a lost cause, we may still have a chance for the game to turn around and every attempt to do so should be made for rnd 11(although the lack of attempt to rebalance the game in 10.5 is going to cause problems for rnd 11 because if we arent past the point of no return yet we very well could be by the end of this round). The small players need a place to thrieve and have fun if they are to stay and numbers of them to grow and i'm sure the big players would much perfer a game where they had to play well to win rather than have it handed to them on a plate (or perhaps i'm just strange in the fact that i perfer to lose having had a hard battle than to win without trying)
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 19 Mar 2004, 21:06   #10
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
It's amusing to see how people seem to think that random galaxies are actually still in any way helping integration into the game, and that alliance players in random galaxies actually work with the newbies in their galaxy.
As i've said before they arent ideal and have their flaws but some new and small players do end up in good galaxies where they can learn the ropes and have fun in which is more than you get in a private universe. And yes the big alliance players arent as helpful as they used to be BUT you still learn more from a good player who doesnt say anything than a lower quality but chatty and helpful player.

I will however once again state that my ideal situation isnt either of these, just when the option is one of these I perfer random all the time.

As for KalVirtus question thats kind of difficult to answer as some things ive seen alliances say simply dont seem to make sense. Some have come out and said they dont want private galaxies but at the same time their members all seem to be demanding their return. Now an alliance obviously want to keep their members and if private galaxies is the best way of doing that then you would think they would want this feature. Which begs the question how many of those who say they dont want private galaxies actually mean it and how many were trying to make themselves look better by seemingly showing an intrest in the games survival?
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 00:02   #11
Razorback
Eclipse High Command

Razorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura about

does it really matter how you mix the last 500-970 active players ?
damn im glad i didnt pay
-T&P slogan

Focht
T&P HC
Fury Exec
Eclipse CEO

Stan's muppet
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 00:48   #12
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Which begs the question how many of those who say they dont want private galaxies actually mean it and how many were trying to make themselves look better by seemingly showing an intrest in the games survival?
Probably a mix of private and random gals are the best. I think lettng the paid planets having the chance to choose a private gal is the best way to do it, like it were in r6 and r7. Not sure if i remember how it were correctly though.

Atleast when i started playing pa, it were only because my brother wanted me to start playing and he started a gal which i could join. After a while there were a shuffle, and ofcause we ended up in a bigger gal that still had mostly inactive members. However i'm pretty sure i wouldn't have started playing pa, if my brother couldn't tempt me with joining he's gal.

To start up as a n00b and joining a gal with experienced playiers, might not always be as tempting as joining a gal with someone you know and someone you know for sure might be able to help you in the game. And what's even the point in getting new players, if your not able to keep the old ones. As it seems to me, it's not actually the new players who's been most interesting in paying money to play this game. If this game can't attract new players and can't hold on to experienced players, then who's going to play this game. Bot planets?

I think pa players that feel like this is a game they can recommend to their friends is the most important players. And if that's not possible, i think it will be the end of this game.

Last edited by Pilatus; 20 Mar 2004 at 00:57.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 03:52   #13
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

Quote:
As for saying it was time to try private galaxies again imho it wasnt. It was time to try something differnt, in particular private packs (groups of 3 mixed with other groups of 3 to make galaxies of 15) which have the ability to force mixing, allowing you to play with friends, guarenting some activity in the galaxy, making it hard for any alliance to have majority control of a galaxy
Don't despair. At last look this IS coming in R11. Last incarantion of the plan was: 2 groups of 2 private paid players, plus 1 or 6 free random accounts to make galaxies of either 10 or 15.

Hacking in private gals for r10.5 is one thing. We are open to ideas and paying attention to the suggestions that have been cropping up for several rounds re: gal sizes, for r11.
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 04:05   #14
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

2*2=4
4+1=5 (good!)
4+6=10 (not so good)
or should it have been
4+11=(bad bad bad A2)
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 11:40   #15
wakey
Hamster

Yeah A2 care to clarify what you mean as it doesnt seem that clear?
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 11:42   #16
^MDK^MAN^
Registered kickass gamer

^MDK^MAN^ has a spectacular aura about^MDK^MAN^ has a spectacular aura about

What we need is a shuffle with the random gals, remove all between 0-9 roids to there own gals and everyone else above 10 roids to own gals.

Last edited by ^MDK^MAN^; 20 Mar 2004 at 12:24.
^MDK^MAN^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 12:43   #17
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Yeah A2 care to clarify what you mean as it doesnt seem that clear?
PA Team is planning to indeed go for a mix of random and private galaxies, they just can't properly count
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 13:03   #18
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of

erm - I had had a couple of drinks when I posted that :/

I meant 2 groups of 3, which means the maths work, actually, no it doesn't - I can't count

either: 2 groups of 3, and 4 randoms, or 3 groups of 3 and 1 random, or 3 groups of 3 and 6 randoms.
Exact makeup will be decided a bit closer to the time.
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 13:58   #19
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2
erm - I had had a couple of drinks when I posted that :/

I meant 2 groups of 3, which means the maths work, actually, no it doesn't - I can't count

either: 2 groups of 3, and 4 randoms, or 3 groups of 3 and 1 random, or 3 groups of 3 and 6 randoms.
Exact makeup will be decided a bit closer to the time.
I ahve to say none of those options atm strike me as ideal. The 3*3 + 6 one potentially has too many randoms. The problem that random and semi private galaxies of the past was the number of inactive randoms you could have and I think 6 is getting to a stage where the numbers are pretty critical.

I also have worries with the other two, 4 randoms in a galaxy of 10 is pretty high, 1 however is maybe a little low. I also think that groups of three (especially in the 2*3+4 one) are potentially too powerful. If the galaxies sized 10 I personally think pack size of two might be better suited, its maybe a ;little small but leaves for potentially a better mix in the galaxy and makes for a better power distribution. In this case 4 groups of 2 + 2 randoms would seem like a fairly good setup
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 14:19   #20
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoX
Private Gals will benefit those who belongs to an Alliance and the rest will be beaten like flies and leave this game faster then a pay check!

Alliances (major ones) are not taking in new inexperienced players but still plays in the same “arena” as the few newcomers who arrives each new round – and every time they go for the newb… roids etc = they leave !

Some alliances do take on new players and all the credit to them but the rest who doesn’t and only plays to attract “hardcore players” sucks out the nerve of the game – cos they can still win even with new players in their ranks……

God why do I still bother?
So your complaint is that they dont take on new players.

Then your complaint is that they do, and still win.

Make up your mind?
Unread 20 Mar 2004, 22:32   #21
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Does it matter if it's private or random gals when the game is dead anyways? I mean.. who tf buys 3 credits to use 1 each round from now on That's what we call optimistic
Unread 21 Mar 2004, 17:39   #22
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

I learned about a new way to put a product in the market last week. I heard it was often used in anime series spanning multiple years.
Usually during a product lifespan, you address the same sort of audience all the time over the years. When targetting the same adience all the time, you need to promote your product over and over again to the same sort of audience. Old people leave because they believe your product is not appropiate for them anymore. For example they feel they get too old for it (in case of an anime serie), or it becomes stale (in case of a game).
What you can also do with your product, is you make the product grow with the audience. With anime, they make the characters age throughout the seasons. So they launch the series when the characters are kids going to school, and make them age along with the audience up to their high-school or adult age.
The great advantage is that you only have to promote your product once to the target audience, and the audience will stay with you throughout the years because the product keeps appealing the audience. The product grows with it.

Now, I think, PA is trying to advance in the same way. They keep evolving their product, trying to appeal the same audience, which is in this case the big aliances. It's not a bad tactic really. As long as they keep making profits. But it makes the product less accessible to a new audience. It's like trying to make a 20 yr old watch the first episodes of sailor moon or something.
But, point is, PA's manner of trying to appeal the big alliance all the time, is in my eyes more of a tactic than a mistake. If they want to revert to the old system, they need 50k+ people to make it playable, which means it needs a huge marketting campaign, which will probably fail due to murderous competition.
So, PA is in cruise-mode. I keeps the audience it has because it can't attract any new and just evolves the game to keep attractive to the current players.

Well, anyway... I just wanted to say that... prolly completely off-topic, but I don't care. Note that all this might be complete bollocks, as I'm just a IT student and know shit all from economics.

Last edited by Structural Integrity; 21 Mar 2004 at 19:05.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2004, 18:57   #23
_o0o_
ostensibly Obscure oddity

_o0o_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
adultery age
I love it
_o0o_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Mar 2004, 20:28   #24
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

its the same for everyone. give it up

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote