User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 30 Jan 2004, 17:59   #1
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough
network gurus in here pls

set up ad-hoc mode works fine, able to see each other and i started a game of generals. Signal strength is very good with transfer rate of at least 600kb/sec

However, I can see and share my bro's resources in My Network Places.

But my bro can't see my comp in his My Network Places

Any guess why?

i've set everything up on each comp equally with regards to the wireless NIC installation.

Also note, with the cross-over cable network I could share resources with both comps.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 18:08   #2
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: network gurus in here pls

badly titled, read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html , you'll get better answers to your forum posts.

what os's are the machines running, xp firewall etc ?

file and print sharing is a bitch to get working on xp
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 18:13   #3
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future

xp firewall set up on your Wireless connection, blocking broadcast signals most likely.

Of course Im guessing you have XP but you could have Win2k.

There are also security measures that can be put in place on the card. However I havent as yet messed around with wireless enough to check these things out.
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 20:07   #4
Cynical Oracle
Poster Professionale

Cynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really nice

Don't need to be a guru to figure this one out. It's either a conflic with ip's or it's as CjC said, a few blocked ports from a firewall or such.

Try using static ip's, enter your router settings and configure no firwall, even tho you are inside the same firewall, the router addresses the packages so it may seem like you are on different sides of the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I wish we could trademark for a less shitty poster
hahahahahahaha, get it?
Cynical Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 20:51   #5
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Or, the computer-name hasn't propagated properly over the network yet. win2k and XP are known for being rather slow with showing up in the "show network computers" thingy of the explorer.
I know I usually can't find my classmates' comps in the "computers near me" thingy in the first few hours of a LAN (or even all day). I connect usng their IP-address or computer-name.

Try to connect to the other computer with the IP address.
start -> run:
\\MYCOMPUTER
(Yes, that's "backslash backslash MYCOMPUTER", not "slash slash MYCOMPUTER")
Where "MYCOMPUTER" is the IP-address or network-name of your computer.

(finding out your IP-address: command -> type: "ipconfig")
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 21:37   #6
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

WinXP, no firewalls at all.

no routers, assigned static IPs.

Games can be played.

and I somehow was able to reverse the situation. in the original post, Comp A could take files from Comp B, just now after fiddling and rebooting I was able to take files from Comp B using Comp A.
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 23:00   #7
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

so its a file and printer sharing problem.

can each computer see each other from a start-find-computer ?
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 23:06   #8
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Yep NB3, i checked windows update, and there was a network driver updated listed and I tried that, i think it might be working now ta,
Unread 30 Jan 2004, 23:23   #9
Cynical Oracle
Poster Professionale

Cynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really niceCynical Oracle is just really nice

Do you get a ping/traceroute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
I wish we could trademark for a less shitty poster
hahahahahahaha, get it?
Cynical Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Feb 2004, 09:34   #10
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical Oracle
Do you get a ping/traceroute?
I cant use ping or ipconfig with my WinXP for some reason, says its not a valid batch command or some crap. even though the correct executables are present in the system32 folder, I can't seem to use it with my bro's Winxp either.
Unread 3 Feb 2004, 16:05   #11
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point

uninstall all networking/file and printer sharing from the computer that you CANT copy from, and reinstall *. I had the same problem, XP Home machine wouldnt allow any connections to it to proceed past a plain "REJECT", and wouldnt announce itself to the workgroup, or register its NB name etc

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Feb 2004, 02:13   #12
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

Could seem like you don't have access to the ping command. Never gotten a problem with using ping on a ms machine though. I

Is there any chance your brother's been playing around with the permission on folders on the machine? I've usually had problems with file sharing on windows os, but i've never had problems with ping. Could seem like you don't have access to some of the files, if your getting that error.

Would have thought it were some problems with the wireless, if it weren't for the fact that you can't use ping. Atleast if you can't use ping at all.

But i guess the chance of your brother's been playing around with permissions on both of the machines, are slim. I think it's worth to check out though.

If games can be played, i would atleast think it got something to do with permissions. Have your tried starting a ftp-server or an irc-server on one of the machines? Sometimes i find the best way to share files with windows machines is by using an ftp-server, even though ms file-sharing is supposed to be the best way.
Unread 5 Feb 2004, 15:03   #13
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

dunno, i can't use any regular system32 program using the cmd window, e.g. ping and ipconfig.

I've worked out how to share files and play games with no problems now.