User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 9 Jan 2004, 20:27   #1
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about
the band to watch in 2004

these guys apparently

i see a recurring pattern with new rock bands over the past 5 years, they all seem to be described using the word "radiohead". I think it must be because they've been the best rock band over the past decade (obviously I mean the 1990s)

ANYWAY, i thought this band sounded good. They are also influenced by Queen, which nearly all rock bands are, so that MUSt make them good. I think I'm going to download some of their songs. what do you guys think about them?
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 20:30   #2
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: the band to watch in 2004

they can piss off, i will stick to what i know
*sticks his head in the sand*
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 20:38   #3
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

A bit radiohead-y but also a bit Coldplay-y imo, they sound ok tho, could do with livenin things up a bit!
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 20:52   #4
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Radiohead and coldplay.

Could it be anymore exciting?
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 20:54   #5
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

Everyone wants to be on a I found them first bandwagon so much these days that nothing is original or entertaining.

Globalisation and increased media communication is killing the creativity and the mystery about bands...

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 21:19   #6
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about

I'm usually the last person to find a band first, in fatc I am a bit slow. Until about two years ago all I listened to was Queen, in my geek days. Now I'm super cool of course becuase I listen to lots.

I agree with you a bit sunday, but I think music is getting better. I say better in a loose sense, becuase the mainstream is starting to shift from pop to rock, so we're seeing an emergence of good bands who are being noticed by record labels and picked up. A lot mroe of the bands we see at the moment are a bit more traditional "we started playting together in sixth form" kind of bands. I think it will get better aswell, as soon as hip hop DIES A PAINFUL DEATH.
Unread 9 Jan 2004, 21:34   #7
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Obligatory "Radiohead are the shittest band ever" post.

I don't like British music anyway so I won't be looking out for them.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 00:50   #8
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of

They aren't Franz Ferdinand, so they don't win.
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 01:02   #9
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

maroon 5?
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 01:06   #10
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

they look crap.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 02:27   #11
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
Radiohead and coldplay.

Could it be anymore exciting?
get out of my head duder
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 06:21   #12
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I like Radiohead, but they're a one-off. The last thing we need is every idiot copying their music.

I'd prefer either a unique band coming around (someone like Blur, who aren't necessarily a clone of any one particular band) or if we're all going to be derivative and shit then can't we just copy Nirvana / Green Day / etc?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 07:08   #13
Thorn
Icicle

Thorn is an unknown quantity at this point

Music is teh g4y
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 22:54   #14
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

Music today is the best ever. I pity the fools who had to listen to Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Who, Queen, Guns'n Roses, The Beatles, Eric Clapton, Simon and Garfunkel, Janis Joplin, Saxon, Nazareth and all the other crap.

Now were so lucky, that we can listen to Westlife, Brittney Spears, Rachel Stevens, Kelly Osbourne, TaTu, and not to mention that Victoria Beckham is doing a comeback. Music have never been better and more creative then now. If it weren't for bands like REM, Nightwish and Limp Bizkit i would say that music today is perfect.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2004, 23:15   #15
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath The Sorcerer
They aren't Franz Ferdinand, so they don't win.
(nor are they British Sea Power)
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 05:16   #16
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

There's more then one artist i like today. I like Rolling Stones and REM. I have to admit i like much of Loreena McKennit's music. And espially "The Mummer Dance", but i think if it were ca. 20 years ago, she would have been famous because of her music, and not like most ppl who gets famous because of their look.

Tbh, i think MTV, and music videos in general destroyed good music. Obviously they still make good music, i just thing we have to look harder to find it.

Or is it just me getting to old?
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2004, 05:57   #17
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Any "objective" statement about relative decline in music quality (e.g. "Music is getting worse") is generally dodgy. Obviously it's all subjective.

If it were possible to measure somehow the "greatness" of musical ouput, I'd say that the vast majority of music produced at all times as been utterly utterly wank. Usually though, we don't get to hear it (it get's filtered out by various processes). Now they seem to put it on TV as some sort of docu-comedy. I'm not sure what that's about.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote