User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 31 Dec 2002, 22:06   #1
Erkenbrand
Moody

Erkenbrand is an unknown quantity at this point
Useful Programs

Not strictly programming but heres probably the best place for it.
This is simply a thread for small programs you find useful.

SpaceMonger A visual represntation of your HD space. Useful for a quick overview.

Proxomitron The best web filter available.

TextPad As notepad is ****e

StrokeIt Pure leetness.

tclock Adds Date, day and seconds options to the tray.

ADD YOUR OWN FOLKS
Unread 1 Jan 2003, 20:46   #2
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Notepad > TextPad

I'll add an e-dictionary - purely because i can't spell well.
mbushell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jan 2003, 22:56   #3
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
putty
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2003, 22:02   #4
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about
Just installed TextPad on win98 and 2k. It's a nice editor to use, now that i'm trying to learn c++. It makes things alot easier then using the crappy notepad
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 01:30   #5
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
i like ximian evolution

its really handy to get my email

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 06:29   #6
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
Winamp is a must for music while coding.

Jester
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 11:59   #7
Pilatus

Quote:
Originally posted by Jester667
Winamp is a must for music while coding.

Jester
I prefer Sonique, but maybe that's why i'm still using the "C++ For Dummies" book

Anyway, i'm going to try out the latest Aphabuild of Sonique 2.0 now. If anyone is interested the url for the download is:
http://files.sonique.lycos.com/soniq...all_021219.exe
Unread 3 Jan 2003, 12:10   #8
Pilatus

And what a great start that were, the installer were corrupt

Well i'm trying to download it again, but i might have stick to using the old Sonique player. Or even worse, just install Winamp since i don't wanna download any more today on my crappy isdn-line.

Last edited by Pilatus; 3 Jan 2003 at 12:16.
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 21:32   #9
Caesar2
Commander

Caesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really niceCaesar2 is just really nice
statbar : usefull info at the top of your screen

You were just "bashed", live with it.
Caesar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 22:07   #10
Coffee
Ensign

Coffee is an unknown quantity at this point
fk textpad, Editplus is the best text editor! :o)
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 22:08   #11
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
As for CD burning, Nero and CloneCD.

Nero is the only program you'll ever need for creating your own discs as it supports just about any format and specification under the sun (including the various DVD formats now).

CloneCD gets the most reliable backups, in my experience.

Unread 8 Jan 2003, 22:09   #12
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
All for windows:

- Vim, text editor

- Winbar ( www.winbar.nl ), great for constant system information, a quick google search, and a plugin that retrieves new news from the tweakers.net website

- Winrar (download.com), a must for everyone!

- Sisoft Sandra, detailed system information

- SmartFTP, the best FTP client around

- MS Visual C++, an ABSOLUTE MUST for anyone writing win32 of MFC programs

- MS source safe 6.0.... got it this week and still have to figure a lot out, but it seems handy

- Daemon tools, your own virtual drive (asked for that here a while ago )

- Visual route, find the geographical location of an IP addy

- Pulse, to count the keys you've typed and send them to a server.... ho ho ho ( www.project-dolphin.net )

- MySQL front, visual way of managing you mySQL databases ( www.mysql.com )

- Animagic gif editor, shiet and unstable, but the only one I ever used (and it's simple as hell too)

- CDEX, MP3 ripper

Those are about all the special programs I can find this fast (apart from the obvious ones like MSN and firewalls)...
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 23:07   #13
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
When ripping cds to mp3 nothing comes close to exact audio copy (and someone even made a comprehensive tutorial as the beast is confusing to set up *first time*) - from then on in you hit 'mp3' and you are off
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 00:12   #14
Intervention
In fond memory of SB

Intervention is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity

- Pulse, to count the keys you've typed and send them to a server.... ho ho ho ( www.project-dolphin.net )

That looks ace.

My recommended programs would be:

Macromedia Dreamweaver MX - Nice prgramming (primarily web languages) editor.

Microsoft Visual Studio - Set of programming tools from the Windows daddies themselves

--------------
My Artwork
Intervention is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 01:22   #15
MT
/dev/zero
Retired Mod

MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by BesigedB
When ripping cds to mp3 nothing comes close to exact audio copy (and someone even made a comprehensive tutorial as the beast is confusing to set up *first time*) - from then on in you hit 'mp3' and you are off
It is _THE_ daddy. Nothing else even comes close.

Although I dont use it to encode, I generally rip to wav until my hd is full and then encode while I sleep. Thats just me tho :/

<idimmu> ok i was chained to a desk with this oriental dude
MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jan 2003, 01:25   #16
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
You can encode MP3s in your sleep?
What do you do during the day - improve relativity theory or something?

Unread 9 Jan 2003, 19:56   #17
Idi

GORECKI IS THE BEST MP3 PLAYER FOR CODING!

STAT!
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 15:11   #18
Papillon

Papillon is an unknown quantity at this point
Editplus the l33t3st text-editor
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 22:23   #19
CaShY

CaShY is an unknown quantity at this point
PHPCoder - Nice little php coding app
FlashFXP - A must have windows ftp program
BAdCopy Pro 3.60 - This is an amazing little tool for windows. Basically i had an assignment disk for college and it got a bit fooked in ma bag. So i looked for some data recovery software and i found this. This program recovered practically all the data were other data recovery programs had failed, about 20 others .
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 15:50   #20
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Idi
GORECKI IS THE BEST MP3 PLAYER FOR CODING!

STAT!
Port it to windows then bitch.

Jester
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 15:55   #21
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Jester667
Port it to windows then bitch.

Jester
seconded!
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 17:01   #22
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future
WMP > GORECKI > *

SMB
Unread 12 Jan 2003, 20:11   #23
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend
Star Downloader - is there a better download accelerator??? imho no

Madina
Unread 13 Jan 2003, 08:22   #24
Pilatus

Ethereal - Nice freeware network protocol analyzer.
ePSXe - The best playstation emulator, and it lets me play FF7 & FF9
Isobuster - Nice for making iso files
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 14:02   #25
Golin
Retard

Golin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Coffee
fk textpad, Editplus is the best text editor! )
i second that
Golin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 14:35   #26
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
Ultraedit is the only text editor worth using. (especially when editing *nix formatted text files in windows)
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 14:42   #27
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by Golin
i second that
A text editor that looked and worked like the MS Visual C++ editor, combined with the highlighting options of vim, and the overhead of notepad

>

Unread 16 Jan 2003, 14:45   #28
Kumnaa
Unreregistered User

Kumnaa is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
A text editor that looked and worked like the MS Visual C++ editor, combined with the highlighting options of vim, and the overhead of notepad

>

ULTRAEDIT
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 15:06   #29
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumnaa
ULTRAEDIT
If you're right, you'll get a cookie...
If not, I'm going to spank you...

Shall test it tonite if I'm back home and remember to download it.
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 19:16   #30
Petrucci

Quote:
Originally posted by inf
putty
*nod*
Unread 21 Jan 2003, 08:53   #31
Madina
TashTastic

Madina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriendMadina needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by inf
putty
tis 1337

also best ftp prog is bpftp
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 01:04   #32
Pilatus

I forgot to mention 2 of my favorite programs, which is Vmware and CloneCD.