User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 26 Dec 2002, 02:05   #1
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about
Work possibilitys

I'm starting thinking about next year at school, and since it's quite important what i choose next year i'd like to know what you ppl think might be important.

Next year i have a few choices to make:
One is continuing my eduacation as a system administratior, and that is a year of programming. To be honest i don't have to much experinence with programming, but i find it interesting and i don't have much problem studying at home, since i like to experiement things on my pc at home. Only problem doing this is that i probably have to take up a loan for 2 years, since i have to take 1 more year in Norway, and then probably take 1 year in Australia to get a Bachelor degree.

One other choice i can take is something i don't have a english word for, but it's about tracing hackers. But i find 2 problems doing this, and one of'em is that i probebly have to work for the cop. Since i have managed to stay clear of serious crimes, i don't think that will be much of a problem, but i don't think it's more difficult finding jobs with this education so i'd like to know if theres many jobs where this kind of education might be necesseray.

Another choice i can make is by taking the MCSE exams, but i think there's alot of ppl that already have thoose exams. I probably have to take 1 year if i take this choice, but since i'm not a big MS fan this won't be my choice #1. I could probably try to take CNE certifacation in Novell Netware, but even since Microsoft is the most used Networking Operating System in Norway, i think it's safer to choose learning about Microsoft's operating systems instead of Novell's operating system.

The last choice i can think about is taking a years course on cisco routers, and try to get as many exams there as possible. I don't think this would be a bad choice, but i would like to know what any of you who haved worked a bit think is the best choice.

So id like it if any of you have any ideas, since i'm not sure what to choice next year. I'd probably have to take up a loan, since next year i'll have used up the free exucation that i get paid for taking (I find it hard to explain this since i don't know any English words for takin advantage of the law, while getting an education while your doing it).

Atleast i wanna take more education after this year, cause i feel like i have to learn more to be able to get a good job. And i think having a good education might be necessary if i want to get a good job. Atleast here in Norway, It might be hard getting a job as a system administrator might be hard at the moment, so i think it's an important choice that i have to make.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 02:34   #2
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Work possibilitys

Quote:
Originally posted by Pilatus

One other choice i can take is something i don't have a english word for, but it's about tracing hackers.
Forensic analysis?
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2002, 16:06   #3
Slidey

Slidey is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Work possibilitys

Quote:
Originally posted by Pilatus
yadda yadda yadda...

One is continuing my eduacation as a system administratior, and that is a year of programming. To be honest i don't have to much experinence with programming, but i find it interesting and i don't have much problem studying at home, since i like to experiement things on my pc at home. Only problem doing this is that i probably have to take up a loan for 2 years, since i have to take 1 more year in Norway, and then probably take 1 year in Australia to get a Bachelor degree.

system administrating cna be both the most boring, tiresome career, and also the most fun.

Quote:

One other choice i can take is something i don't have a english word for, but it's about tracing hackers. But i find 2 problems doing this, and one of'em is that i probebly have to work for the cop. Since i have managed to stay clear of serious crimes, i don't think that will be much of a problem, but i don't think it's more difficult finding jobs with this education so i'd like to know if theres many jobs where this kind of education might be necesseray.

as quey said, forensic analysis, or intrusion detection, or just plain cop work can actually be really fun, and its pretty damn challenging.. The pay probably wont be the best though...

Quote:

Another choice i can make is by taking the MCSE exams, but i think there's alot of ppl that already have thoose exams. I probably have to take 1 year if i take this choice, but since i'm not a big MS fan this won't be my choice #1. I could probably try to take CNE certifacation in Novell Netware, but even since Microsoft is the most used Networking Operating System in Norway, i think it's safer to choose learning about Microsoft's operating systems instead of Novell's operating system.

dont bother with the novell crap, if you're gonna do it go for the ms stuff... should be lots of jobs too

Quote:

The last choice i can think about is taking a years course on cisco routers, and try to get as many exams there as possible. I don't think this would be a bad choice, but i would like to know what any of you who haved worked a bit think is the best choice.

the networking route is probably for me the most interesting... problem solving, system administration, security, chasing hackers etc etc. pays quite well too

Quote:

Atleast i wanna take more education after this year, cause i feel like i have to learn more to be able to get a good job. And i think having a good education might be necessary if i want to get a good job. Atleast here in Norway, It might be hard getting a job as a system administrator might be hard at the moment, so i think it's an important choice that i have to make.
good call, get more education and take a loan out if you have to

just my 2p..

Slidey

#impulsed - home of genius..?
Slidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 01:42   #4
sh@dow

sh@dow is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd think programming is a good route to take, and if you like that then why not? The biggest problem these days isnt education anyway, its experience (well for me). The cisco course I'm doing btw, its ok but probably not the best choice you'd have

- Q
sh@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2002, 17:37   #5
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for the help. I think i'll choose to take 1-2 more years with System Administration, even though forensic analysis seems a bit intersting too. Atleast with system administration i can take the last year in Australia, and that would probably be a nice experience, even though i would probably have to take up a bigger loan.

There's still a few more months before i have to make up my mind, so i'll probably check a little more about forensic analysis before i make up my mind.
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote