User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 Jan 2003, 11:07   #1
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
Multihunting in r9

With Zeus gone who will be the one who gets the job ?

hAl
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 11:13   #2
Galaxian

Galaxian is an unknown quantity at this point
Makes no difference. They'll catch a few high-profile multies, plus maybe a few multi-wanna-be's who are daft enough not to do it properly, but the vast and silent majority of multies will still go undetected as usual.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 11:15   #3
Glatze

Glatze is an unknown quantity at this point
Like if Zeus did it.
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 11:32   #4
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Prince?
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 12:07   #5
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by JC
Prince?
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 12:11   #6
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Glatze
Like if Zeus did it.
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 12:42   #7
Lord_Thunderball
Playing Speedrounds

Lord_Thunderball is on a distinguished road
Indeed, i can name to much people doing it. I won't say i'm the most decent boyz, but i will never make more then 1 account. Can't there be a multidetection team or something?

Btw SilverSmoke you are here to often lately, join IRC
Btw Glatze, where are you m8....
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 12:43   #8
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually I can testify to the fact that Zeus closed many multies in round 7.

/me waves at fang
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 12:44   #9
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
luckily (somehow) I am not able to get on IRC during work.
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 12:49   #10
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society
Zeus is being replaced by Prince, this means that all the responsibilities and jobs that Zeus had have now been passed onto Prince.
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 14:21   #11
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by ParraCida
Actually I can testify to the fact that Zeus closed many multies in round 7.

/me waves at fang
Those incident were accountsharing and most closed weren't even FAnG...
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 14:21   #12
Glatze

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord_Thunderball

Btw Glatze, where are you m8....
Behind my PC
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 16:20   #13
Lan

Lan is an unknown quantity at this point
great to not see that zeus is doing this job any more. i must really say he dident do a god job when it come to that.

gl prince
Lan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 17:25   #14
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold
Technology has the job, we are but mere peons
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 18:10   #15
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Bashar
Zeus is being replaced by Prince, this means that all the responsibilities and jobs that Zeus had have now been passed onto Prince.

You're kidding, right

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 18:40   #16
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Glatze
Behind my PC
Behind it?
Are you hiding?
Or just checking out the I/O ports and cables?
Dustbusting maybe?
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 18:51   #17
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Who the hell is Prince ? What's his background etc ?
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 18:54   #18
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
I remember him coming onboard during my modding days, but for what reason I don't recall...I think he had something to do with the portal or AH or somesuch...

How he qualifies to replace Zeus is beyond me, as I simply don't see it.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 21:16   #19
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

I believe Prince was in charge of--or working on--the manual at one point. I vaguely recall him asking me to review the manual once. His changes seemed to consist of giving the manual different "skins" depending on which race you were. I think my comment was something along the lines of, 'But... but... you haven't changed any of the content...'

I think he may also have been responsible for rendering the manual navigation unusable from any browser available under Mac OS, which turned out to be one of many final straws for me not to play R7 and to resign as moderator from the Strategy forum. I guess I owe him a small debt of gratitude for that, at least.

Clearly, he was due for a promotion.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 21:22   #20
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society
No Cochese, I am not kidding, Prince is Zeus' replacement, which I personally didn't find in the least bit surprising, though I am not going to state my views on the matter in public

Prince was in charge of the manual for a few rounds, as far as other responsibilities go, I am not sure what else he did, I think he did have another job at one point, but I can't remember what it was off the top of my head.

Oh, and I don't think qualifications had anything to do with his appointment. I think it was down to other things - such as "dedication, commitment and loyalty". I don't think there can be any doubt that he is loyal.
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 21:29   #21
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
Oh, and I don't think qualifications had anything to do with his appointment. I think it was down to other things - such as "dedication, commitment and loyalty". I don't think there can be any doubt that he is loyal.
loyalties aside, not a lot of people have heard of him. From what I read here, most don't even like Prince.
Why has he been made the community manager?
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 21:36   #22
Bashar
Idle Git

I suspect most people do know who he is, but just haven't realised - I think for a while he asked the questions at creators hour for example. The creators know him, and they are the ones who give the jobs, so I would assume that there is a reason for it.

As for how much he is liked, I cannot really gauge that myself, so I wouldn't like to say he should/shouldn't be community manager on that alone.

The fact though is he is, and so I would assume he is going to do his best to improve the community, and get it larger and a little more friendly.
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 21:42   #23
Cochese
Retired

I have no doubt about his loyalites, but it's his competance and capabilities in community-related affairs that worries me.

There are, undoubtedly, far more qualified candidates.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 21:55   #24
Bashar
Idle Git

I wouldn't know if he CAN do the job as I haven't seen him try yet. To be perfectly honest, I have no idea what he is capable of, s I will have to wait and see :-)
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 22:00   #25
Ðiscorporation

Quote:
I wouldn't know if he CAN do the job as I haven't seen him try yet. To be perfectly honest, I have no idea what he is capable of, s I will have to wait and see :-)
At least Zeus was 'talkative' during the long waits..
Unread 23 Jan 2003, 22:01   #26
Cochese
Retired

The idea should be to replace Zeus with someone MORE competant, not someone LESS competant.

Utterly useless since r3

Last edited by Cochese; 23 Jan 2003 at 22:42.
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 02:09   #27
logamus

Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese
The idea should be to replace Zeus with someone MORE competant, not someone LESS competant.

and who would that be exactly...you?
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 02:30   #28
Cochese
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by logamus
and who would that be exactly...you?
Am I the only person around here more competant than Zeus?

Hardly.

I don't care who they replace Prince with, so long as it's someone with an honest passion to help the game/community...not someone in it for the status and/or power.

Everything I've heard so far points in that direction, which is not good.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 03:01   #29
aza1

aza1 is an unknown quantity at this point
i always thought Zues was rather competent. (multi-hunting etc aside)
aza1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 03:14   #30
logamus

Quote:
Originally posted by Synthetic_Sid
Just guessing btw

No first-hand experience

liar
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 04:23   #31
RooKie
Boy without a toy

RooKie is an unknown quantity at this point
About multihunting, Spinner was to my knowledge the one who handled most of those, apsecially the deleting top planets.

If its true that Prince has been hired as Community Director (actually OreoŽs old job), then I am really disapointed both in how they handled it and the person they chose.

WC 2 Winners "TiG's Terrific Tribe" 3:21

Quicknet Webdesign & Neteffects Søkemotoroptimalisering
RooKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 07:41   #32
Glatze

Quote:
Originally posted by mens
Behind it?
Are you hiding?
Or just checking out the I/O ports and cables?
Dustbusting maybe?
'Denglish'
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 14:17   #33
Teh_Necro
Daddy.

Teh_Necro has a little shameless behaviour in the past
How about offering some encouragement? Or does this not happen nemore?

Winge, Winge and more Wingeing.

Guys come on, im sure we all have our doubts but we really shouldn't start complaining untill prince has had atleat a few weeks of showing us what he has too offer.

-Necro
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 14:44   #34
Bashar
Idle Git

Quote:
Originally posted by RooKie
About multihunting, Spinner was to my knowledge the one who handled most of those, apsecially the deleting top planets.

If its true that Prince has been hired as Community Director (actually OreoŽs old job), then I am really disapointed both in how they handled it and the person they chose.
Actually - Zeus did the multi-hunting, not Spinner, and Zeus was the community director, not Oreo. Oreo's job was support.

Prince is actually replacing Oreo too, he is responsible for not only Zeus' job, but for dealing with the p2p side of things, and the general game support.
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 15:51   #35
davidb
[Iron-Pirates & Babes]

davidb is an unknown quantity at this point
Never judge a book by its cover ?

i remember prince from Round6 and he seemed a nice chap,
i think the only way to find out if he is good or not is to give him a chance and not start jumping on his back fs.
if he is no good then im sure he would be replaced but i think he desevers a chance dont you ?
davidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 17:06   #36
Heartshunter
Little Miss Sarcastic

Heartshunter is an unknown quantity at this point
It has always amazed me how he got into the position where he is now.

I know Prince from the MI times, where he later was a jr HC and got booted by us cause of his powermongish behaviour and inactivity. He 'impressed' me back then by the 'contacts' he had, guess that never changed.
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 17:48   #37
Cochese
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Heartshunter
It has always amazed me how he got into the position where he is now.

I know Prince from the MI times, where he later was a jr HC and got booted by us cause of his powermongish behaviour and inactivity. He 'impressed' me back then by the 'contacts' he had, guess that never changed.

Case and point.

This is why I'm against Prince...he isn't in it for the right reasons, but rather, his ability to kiss ass and idle on irc.

Do a search on the forums and see how many posts he's made.

Not many for a 'Community Director'.

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 17:58   #38
RooKie
Boy without a toy

Quote:
Actually - Zeus did the multi-hunting, not Spinner, and Zeus was the community director, not Oreo. Oreo's job was support.

Prince is actually replacing Oreo too, he is responsible for not only Zeus' job, but for dealing with the p2p side of things, and the general game support.
I know zeus had it after, but it was Oreos old job if his position is Community Director.

Spinner did multihunting, I was many times in his office when he did it. And he was responsible for closing top planets, atleast thats what Christian and Espen told me.

Unread 24 Jan 2003, 18:08   #39
Dr_Zaius

Dr_Zaius has a spectacular aura aboutDr_Zaius has a spectacular aura about
Lightbulb Multi Hunters :)

Maybe the PA team should elect some people who just want to help out to hunt the multies for them? Just a suggestion but a few trusted volunteers wouldn't be a waste of time in fighting the problem!

Dr_Zaius - Planetarion Support Team Member
Dr_Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 18:24   #40
RooKie
Boy without a toy

Re: Multi Hunters :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr_Zaius
Maybe the PA team should elect some people who just want to help out to hunt the multies for them? Just a suggestion but a few trusted volunteers wouldn't be a waste of time in fighting the problem!
previously only creators have been allowed as the tool they use is easy to abouse...

/me inserts 3000 roids \o/

Unread 24 Jan 2003, 18:45   #41
Dreadnought!

HI
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 18:55   #42
Bashar
Idle Git

Re: Multi Hunters :)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr_Zaius
From what I have seen of PA team this is a rather bad idea

For a start, as soon as something like that was introdued, all the usual power/status mad people would start scrambling to get whatever scraps of power/status they could out of it.

That is the whole problem with PA team. Too many people there for entirely the wrong reasons, and I personally would not want such people doing the multi-hunting.
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 22:53   #43
Howling

Howling is an unknown quantity at this point
Lets give him a go b4 we bag him eh.

We can hang him later.

Good luck prince: D
Howling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 22:57   #44
Teh_Necro
Daddy.

Teh_Necro has a little shameless behaviour in the past
One thing that does worry me.

A) Why was the community not informed of the replacement via an announcement and

B) Why didn't the community given the oppotunity to at least put forward names for a community director, their designed to work with us as well as the creators, surley it makes sense that we have a say?

-Necro
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 23:08   #45
Bashar
Idle Git

Quote:
Originally posted by Teh_Necro
One thing that does worry me.

A) Why was the community not informed of the replacement via an announcement and

B) Why didn't the community given the oppotunity to at least put forward names for a community director, their designed to work with us as well as the creators, surley it makes sense that we have a say?

-Necro
on part a, I don't know the answer, I was told by Zeus that Prince was replacing him, and I do think that an announcement should have been made.

on b though, this is not a practical idea. Bearing in mind that it is a case of that person being employed, I find it a little difficult to believe that it is reasonable to expect this. I can't think of any other company that selects its employees by asking its customers. It is the employers choice, and so it should be, the employer pays a person to do a job for them, so the decision is purely theirs, as they select a person suitable to do the job they want doing. Although the community would probably have appreciated being asked "this is who we have in mind, do you have any serious objections?".
Unread 24 Jan 2003, 23:19   #46
Scaggydo
Necro's Minion

Scaggydo is an unknown quantity at this point
indeed, we are talking about appointing someone into an actual Job with a wage, boss and responsibility. we are not talking about the community voting who should idle in #planetarion and do CH once a week..

would be lunacy if we had actually voted for a paid position in a company with other things on its mind that "is Prince a popular choice with the community"

besides, we would of taken the piss and nominated tits like Idimmu or Teh_Necro.

heh.

ex-NFU, ex-Silver HC
R1-nfi, R2-C4, R3-12:8:4, R4-140:15:1, R5-29:12:17, R6-27:13:2, R7-RL, R8-RL, R9-36:5:1, R9.5-Asleep
Scaggydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Jan 2003, 03:13   #47
A2
#planetarion

A2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud ofA2 has much to be proud of
Point 'a' - the "where did Prince spring from?" part:
When he was made a creator, if you paid any attention to the CH logs for the first couple of weeks you'd have learnt what the creators were each responsible for.
Spinner, Fudge & Kloopy - coding
Zeus - community
Prince - a kind of "mini-Zeus"
When Zeus left it was only natural for the next person down the community side of the chain to take charge, and all the other creators would be busy with coding stuff to take the role on full-time.

on Point 'b':
Don't forget that this is a paid position, and as such it's not something that should be up for the vote. The creators at the time clearly made a decision that they felt was justified in appointing Prince to that position. You would not expect your most companies to vote on everyone who was appointed as a manager. It simply isn't practical.
Don't destroy him before he's had a chance to prove himself, but at the same time don't go soft on Prince or any of the other creators simply because they're new.
Unread 25 Jan 2003, 03:17   #48
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, let's be completely honest for a moment people. Who the **** was surprised that they put some incompetent bastard in charge of a field that has never been properly arbitrated?

Anyone? Anyone?

Jester
Unread 25 Jan 2003, 03:19   #49
Cochese
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by A2
Don't forget that this is a paid position, and as such it's not something that should be up for the vote. The creators at the time clearly made a decision that they felt was justified in appointing Prince to that position. You would not expect your most companies to vote on everyone who was appointed as a manager. It simply isn't practical.

Therein lies the concern.

From everything I've heard so far, no one has any faith in Prince, nor do they believe he is in any way the "right" person for the job.

I wouldn't be so staunchly opposed to him unless there was a genuine reason, believe me.

You don't see me hassling Kloopy, do you?

Utterly useless since r3
Unread 25 Jan 2003, 05:32   #50
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese
Therein lies the concern.

From everything I've heard so far, no one has any faith in Prince, nor do they believe he is in any way the "right" person for the job.

I wouldn't be so staunchly opposed to him unless there was a genuine reason, believe me.

You don't see me hassling Kloopy, do you?
Let me get this straight?

Prince is an Employee of the company and was appointed on the basis of his experience, his referances and no doubt his abiltiy.

Yet on the basis of the odd interaction on an IRC network, and some comments on an internet forum, you feel able to pass better judgement on him than his employers?

Perhaps you would be happy for your employer (or future employer) to base your suitability for a position on the inflated opinion of someone who has never met you, interviewed you or even had a valid conversation with?

Nice going Cochese
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote