User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 Jan 2003, 11:19   #1
Guran
Puppet Master

Guran will become famous soon enoughGuran will become famous soon enough
Question Blocks?

People talk about blocks all the time, no matter if it's 2 or 20 alliances who are allied. What is the definition for a block in your opinion and do people missuse the word? and powerblock?

It feels like block is a bad word in here. Is it?
Guran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 11:27   #2
-=Zyth=-
Paranoid Android

-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about
Re: Blocks?

Quote:
Originally posted by Guran
People talk about blocks all the time, no matter if it's 2 or 20 alliances who are allied. What is the definition for a block in your opinion and do people missuse the word? and powerblock?

It feels like block is a bad word in here. Is it?
For this coming round, I would say a block could be definded as any group of alliances who control about 30-40% of the universe.

[SiN]
Safety in Numbers

NEVER AGAIN! Retired
-=Zyth=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 11:30   #3
Sirad
Have D|ck Done Travell

Sirad is an unknown quantity at this point
theres been a lot better discussions with arguemnts on various sides debateing this issue if you think your treading new water your in the same fish pond. and as the stocks getting lower with the more attractive fishermen out there it wont really matter if the trout band withthe salmon and the bass band with the pirch because very soon that pond is going to be fished out.

figure it out
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 11:35   #4
RooKie
Boy without a toy

RooKie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Blocks?

Quote:
Originally posted by -=Zyth=-
For this coming round, I would say a block could be definded as any group of alliances who control about 30-40% of the universe.
Controls 1/3 of universe? Are u insane? Who would want to play then?

WC 2 Winners "TiG's Terrific Tribe" 3:21

Quicknet Webdesign & Neteffects Søkemotoroptimalisering
RooKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 11:37   #5
-=Zyth=-
Paranoid Android

-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about-=Zyth=- has a spectacular aura about
Re: Re: Re: Blocks?

Quote:
Originally posted by RooKie
Controls 1/3 of universe? Are u insane? Who would want to play then?
I make that about 600 players or 60 galaxies, Im not talking members here. Just what they control.

[SiN]
Safety in Numbers

NEVER AGAIN! Retired
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 11:38   #6
Anakin
Stealth & Shadows

Anakin is on a distinguished road
IMHO > Blocks

The word is been killed by misuse, its that simple ... every pre-round we have a huge state of panic in which certain people (no names needed) run around telling the world every little whisper they hear on netgamers, ultimately leading to rumours of power-blocks left right and centre.

I don’t need to remind anyone that the mass majority of these people do not have the slightest clue about the current state of planetarion politics, let alone the definition of a power-block.

Their was an excellent thread regarding blocks last round, i believe it was Rumad's , i maybe wrong, depicting exactly what a block was, in my eyes its a grouping of 'superior' numbers and quality with the intent of using that force against a weaker enemy, example.

Alliance 1 : 70 members.
Alliance 2 : 120 members.

Alliance 1 and 2 allied for R9, in my opinion at this stage their doing nothing wrong, but on the other side of the wall alliance A and B allied (see bellow).

Alliance A : 100 members.
Alliance B : 120 members.

This leads Alliance 1 to add Alliance 3 to their side (perhaps a long-time enemy of alliance A), they also start mass-recruiting to their JR wings, were now left with this.

Alliance 1 : 100 members.
Alliance 2 : 140 members.
Alliance 3 : 90 members.

I have chosen to make alliance 3 small, as this is usually the case, and indeed justification for the block ...

<Fang/Adelante Executive> "ToT are only 'small' so this isn’t a powerblock ... honest."

Perhaps not a great example, but i figured id put the joke on myself so not to offend anyone.

Powerblocking is a result of fear of losing, greed and the willingness to stab allies in the back once your done with them. Arrogance, and i don’t need to remind anyone, theirs no shortage of that in alliance command's.

If you don’t agree with the above, please feel free to comment .
Anakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 11:40   #7
Guran
Puppet Master

So sorry, I haven't payd much attention to AD the passed 6 months. Why I brought up this issue was because people argue about blocks on daily basis and I thought it would be good to clearify what is the definition for a block for new players aswell as the old vets cause clearly there are so many different opinions about this. Is there no definit definition for a block or is it totally opinion based? Anyone have a historical aspect of blocks outside PA context?

Quote:
Originally posted by sirad
theres been a lot better discussions with arguemnts on various sides debateing this issue if you think your treading new water your in the same fish pond. and as the stocks getting lower with the more attractive fishermen out there it wont really matter if the trout band withthe salmon and the bass band with the pirch because very soon that pond is going to be fished out.

figure it out
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 11:46   #8
-=Zyth=-
Paranoid Android

Quote:
Originally posted by Guran
So sorry, I haven't payd much attention to AD the passed 6 months. Why I brought up this issue was because people argue about blocks on daily basis and I thought it would be good to clearify what is the definition for a block for new players aswell as the old vets cause clearly there are so many different opinions about this. Is there no definit definition for a block or is it totally opinion based? Anyone have a historical aspect of blocks outside PA context?
WWII had The Allies, The Axis and the Russians, in the beginning the axis teamed up the Russians and created the first block, the axis, thinking they were winning turned on the Russians. The Russians then teamed up with the allies and kicked the bum of the Axis. After the war the Russians swallowed up half of Europe and created the Soviet Block. The allies Created the Nato Block to oppose it.

[SiN]
Safety in Numbers

NEVER AGAIN! Retired
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 11:48   #9
wubanger
what do you care...

wubanger is an unknown quantity at this point
I may be being controversial here, but the most accurate crude definition that comes to my mind as of late is : A group of alliances opposing yours which actually sound so formidable on paper you sh|t your pants posting on AD about them before signups even happen, hoping to have ppl chicken out of forming it. Happened the last few rounds including this round like clockwork. As a sidenote, it may also be used as a counter to one's own not quite public agenda of 'blocking' in the same manner, but since this 'block' was not announced first on AD it's not seen as evul but necessary . Then we have the ' My alliance didn't make the final cut so let me expose them' angle, and so the list goes on and on...

[/edit] as for 'appropiate' numbers for allied alliances we'd have to wait for signups for that, and then it's already too late as plans should be well in sorted by then [/edit]

There has only really been 1 authentic Powerblock seen in PA imho and it was a damn good one, so good ppl still scream bloody murder at anything remotely resembling it in relative power now. That's a totally different discussion altogether tho :/

Former Member
Ministry(HC), Xanadu(WingHC) and 1up (peon)

Last edited by wubanger; 10 Jan 2003 at 11:58.
wubanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 11:49   #10
RooKie
Boy without a toy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Blocks?

Quote:
I make that about 600 players or 60 galaxies, Im not talking members here. Just what they control.
Well my alliance goes by strict policy to NOT mix with unalligned ppl...

Last edited by RooKie; 10 Jan 2003 at 11:57.
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 11:52   #11
-=Zyth=-
Paranoid Android

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Blocks?

Quote:
Originally posted by RooKie
Well my alliance goes by strict policy to NOT mix...
So its all Madcows? or...

[SiN]
Safety in Numbers

NEVER AGAIN! Retired
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 12:00   #12
RooKie
Boy without a toy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Blocks?

Quote:
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showth...hreadid=156308

Unread 10 Jan 2003, 13:49   #13
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
A 'block', in my opinion, is a group of alliances that would wipe the floor with every other alliance in the game if they were the only allied group.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 14:03   #14
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
heh

The word 'powerblock' is in my opinion a group of alliances that together have a good chance of winning the round...

A block tho, is an alliance between 3 or more alliances working together(2 if they are really big) for common goals...not necessarily to win, but maybe to have better protection vs a powerblock

2 alliances together is a cooperation, or sumthing like that, as it aint really a block...

-Jonas

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 14:08   #15
Aneu
H O N O U R

Aneu is an unknown quantity at this point
This argument is totaly wrong. People will believe what they want, so what is the point in having it?

Im my eyes a block is based on the amount of members, but due to alliances not actually giving their numbers (truthfully) out, then its impossible to really determine who is a block and who isnt.

So the only plausible way is on the amount of alliances that are allies... 3+ alliances i concider a block. Not specificly a powerblock but still a block.

Aneu

'True Power Is A State Of Mind'

Quote:
[22:27] ([ViruS]Aaranaf) your not Aneu
Aneu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 15:48   #16
Guran
Puppet Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Aneu
This argument is totaly wrong. People will believe what they want, so what is the point in having it?
To get a picture of what people think?
I suppose you are used to discuss 'easy' subject's alone, without different opinions. :sarcasm:
Unread 10 Jan 2003, 16:31   #17
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse
A 'block', in my opinion, is a group of alliances that would wipe the floor with every other alliance in the game if they were the only allied group.
This is probably the best practical definition of a block. There are other definitions, but this one really describes the kind of 'block' that most people are concerned with.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 05:04   #18
RooKie
Boy without a toy

Quote:
Originally posted by Aneu

Im my eyes a block is based on the amount of members, but due to alliances not actually giving their numbers (truthfully) out, then its impossible to really determine who is a block and who isnt.

So the only plausible way is on the amount of alliances that are allies... 3+ alliances i concider a block. Not specificly a powerblock but still a block.

Aneu
how many players can we have then?

Unread 11 Jan 2003, 05:36   #19
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Blocks?

Quote:

You could at least try to be a bit more tactful in your selective quoting.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2003, 06:19   #20
WildCardz
Next Round

WildCardz is infamous around these parts
My opinion, nothing more

In Mathematics, two points make up a line...
Three points make up a plane.

Keeping that in mind, anytime we have two alliances teaming up, it is actually called an "alliance". PA just gets really confusing because we call groups or clans "alliances" to begin with.
In other games when two clans/squads/teams work together - it is called an alliance.

When three or more "alliances" work together, it is then considered a block. HOWEVER, the three alliances must be directly aligned with one another and not remotely.

For example, alliance A must be aligned with both B and C.
B must be aligned with both A and C and C must be aligned with both A and B. This is when you can rightfully call it a "block", just like a "plane" in mathetmatics.

If alliance C is alligned with A, who is separately aligned to B, but C has no relation with B... it is still not a block because C could still possibly be hostile towards B.

That is my opinion about blocks after 6 years of online gaming with almost a dozen different "communities". I realize i'm probably not going to change anyone's opinion about "what a block is"... but like I really care.

- WildCardz
WildCardz is offline   Reply With Quote