User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 30 Apr 2009, 13:18   #1
Veridic

Veridic is an unknown quantity at this point
My encounter with PA

So, I played round 2-4 of PA way back when... I loved it, and I missed it. So one day I was bored and decided to look and see if it was still around. I was pleased to see that it was- and to my surprise this round was about to start... so I registered, did some catching up and started off.

I was happy to see some of the changes, and was enjoying playing the game... then I started to see the rickroll of 90 man alliances....

Wtf... seriously? I mean don't get me wrong I'm all about team play but when my entire galaxy has incomings from 8 different people totaling 120k+ ships a piece... it gets kinda dumb... especially when it's obvious a good amount of people have no clue how to play this game in my galaxy.

I went from rank 82 with no bonus used to like 650...

Now I knew I wasn't going to win or anything when I signed up... but I'm pretty sure PA would have a much larger player base and be more enjoyable for the avg person without 90 man power alliances having the ability to easily coordinate steam roll attacks over 10 ticks on avg.

Now that my whining is done... How the hell do the rest of you deal with this? How do I continue on knowing that my galaxy is now easy pickings...
Veridic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2009, 13:36   #2
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: My encounter with PA

Hello Veridic, welcome back to Planetarion. You might want to take a look at the Planetarion Suggestions forum. There is an interesting debate about alliance size going on right away.
Unread 30 Apr 2009, 13:39   #3
Eternity
DarK_AnGeL^

Eternity is an unknown quantity at this point

Its a good question.

Most people tend to join an alliance so that they can defence when they get hit.

or

They form a buddy pack made up of 5 different alliances therefore making themselves off limits to galaxy raids from those alliances. Then they only have to worry about being attacked by everyone else.

Everybody else gets bashed. With the old rounds it wouldn't matter so much to you that an 800 member alliance could have destroyed you in a single night because they wouldn't be interested in you. You'd either be too small or not noticed in a universe of 100,000 + planets. You could grow to a point where you'd be on people's radar.

With 1500 planets everyone is a target, and weak gals are picked off night after night until they aren't worth attacking. Sadly thats just the way it goes.
VtS, CpV, RAH, ND, Jenova, xVx, Ascendancy, Rainbows, Kittenz, Faceless, Ironborn and RED.

Played in rounds :
20, 22, 23, 24, 27, 30, 31
71 - 85.
Eternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2009, 13:45   #4
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veridic View Post
I went from rank 82 with no bonus used to like 650...
Ranks fluctuate a lot at this stage because everyone's score is very close. With a couple of good attacks you can be in the t100 again pretty soon. The current #1 player jumped 1000 ranks or so yesterday when he got that rank (needless to say he won't keep it because he's a godawful player) so don't base anything on current ranks.

What you can do about being attacked is organise good defence, the best way to do this is organise your galaxy properly and join an alliance.
Unread 30 Apr 2009, 13:55   #5
Veridic

Veridic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys, and thanks for all the replies. It seems like my only options at this point would be to join a giant alliance or exile (sp)?

I am in a galaxy with my cousin and like 2 other solid players... the rest of the people don't respond to mails... people won't sign up so I can register an IRC channel... and no one wants to do any minister positions aside from 1.

I really hate games where I either join a blob or perish... I don't like either how so many people have just accepted it as how things are... Same problem in Eve, same problem in DF...

My zerg is bigger than your zerg... politics politics... zerg zerg

*sigh* I will start looking for an alliance though... because I really do like this game... just some of its facets are displeasing to me at this point.

Thanks again for the replies.
Veridic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2009, 13:59   #6
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

Welcome back to pa , I'm suprised noone has suggested to you that you exile out of that gal ,also try and join an alliance see the recruitment forums for a list of currently recruiting allys they may not be able to defend all your inc but they will help with def and offer attacks every night
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2009, 14:06   #7
[DW]Entropy
Ent|lunch

[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold[DW]Entropy is a splendid one to behold

keep your roids topped up to 300 so your always making res and can keep a decent fleet growing to attack with, though like everyone mentioned you'll need an alliance to attack with if you're flying solo.

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results."

"Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile"
[DW]Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2009, 14:11   #8
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veridic View Post
Hey guys, and thanks for all the replies. It seems like my only options at this point would be to join a giant alliance or exile (sp)?

I am in a galaxy with my cousin and like 2 other solid players... the rest of the people don't respond to mails... people won't sign up so I can register an IRC channel... and no one wants to do any minister positions aside from 1.

I really hate games where I either join a blob or perish... I don't like either how so many people have just accepted it as how things are... Same problem in Eve, same problem in DF...

My zerg is bigger than your zerg... politics politics... zerg zerg

*sigh* I will start looking for an alliance though... because I really do like this game... just some of its facets are displeasing to me at this point.

Thanks again for the replies.
Hi mate,

fantastic to get feedback from a real veteran that has come back to the game. I am sure that with your posts here everyone would love to have a player like you in their alliance. There is a fair few lower ranked alliances that are helpful and is a great community. You need to get onto IRC and talk to a few of them.

The alliance that I would recommend you is Howling Rain. Now I am not a member of said alliance, but this alliance has all the qualities you are looking for. Look them up in the recruitment part of this forum and good luck and welcome back to Planetarion!
Unread 30 Apr 2009, 16:00   #9
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

New players arnt allowed to have fun in Planetarion. This will never change, as the PA Team no longer has the ability to make huge chances to the game. So now the playerbase slowly diminishes and they wonder why.

In short, there is nothing you can do..
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2009, 16:05   #10
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
New players arnt allowed to have fun in Planetarion. This will never change, as the PA Team no longer has the ability to make huge chances to the game. So now the playerbase slowly diminishes and they wonder why.

In short, there is nothing you can do..
I don't know if you've noticed, but the numbers of players have actually increased allbeit just slightly this round.
Unread 30 Apr 2009, 16:22   #11
Light
You've Seen The Light
Speed Cards Champion

Light has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond reputeLight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool View Post
I don't know if you've noticed, but the numbers of players have actually increased allbeit just slightly this round.
But you couldnt explain why and the numbers are certainly going to decrease after this 'farm round'.

Anyway, after at least 2 rounds now? where ive seen the PA Team saying they need to attract new players and wondering how.. Lets see what changes they made this round for the new player:
1. - inactive planets are now exiled more quickly
The new player gets booted out of his galaxy more quickly.

2. - galaxy disband has been removed
What this is really saying, is this round the PA Team have implemented "Farm Galaxy", the ideal place to solo.. As they are full of inactives and noobies. Any new signup from tick 100+ is highly likely to land into one of these farm galaxys. This coupled with the fact that inactives get moved into c200 quickly, means that you're alot more likely to end up in a farm galaxy.
I thought this was the reason BP's even existed, so stop this crap? Then you said even if the BP exiles out.. the randoms should be forced to stay?
This is a prime example of the PA Team not thinking, im one of these people who's been hitting these farm galaxys and on my JGP i see that on each planet theres 15+ people also attacking the planet.

3. - Salvage changed to 15% for attackers and 20% for defenders (from 30/40 respectively)
Lower salvage for the new players who is highly likely to get bashed? yay what a smart idea. I dont think i need to explain this.

Now? unless ive missed something, where the hell are the new changes FOR the new player/inexperience player? I dont see one thought about them.
First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Apr 2009, 16:22   #12
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool View Post
True as this is, Im fairly certain its within the normal fluctuations in round size, even if not it can hardly be used to say there isnt a problem with the way the game plays for less 1337 ppl without the time to be active or for the new sign ups.
Unread 30 Apr 2009, 16:26   #13
[B5]Londo
Paso Leaute

[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of[B5]Londo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Now? unless ive missed something, where the hell are the new changes FOR the new player/inexperience player? I dont see one thought about them.
there is actually; the improved history pages allow ppl to keep track of the littler sort of achievements better than before; this is encouraging imo.
Unread 30 Apr 2009, 16:32   #14
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:
But you couldnt explain why and the numbers are certainly going to decrease after this 'farm round'.

Anyway, after at least 2 rounds now? where ive seen the PA Team saying they need to attract new players and wondering how.. Lets see what changes they made this round for the new player:
1. - inactive planets are now exiled more quickly
The new player gets booted out of his galaxy more quickly.

2. - galaxy disband has been removed

3. - Salvage changed to 15% for attackers and 20% for defenders (from 30/40 respectively)
Lower salvage for the new players who is highly likely to get bashed? yay what a smart idea. I dont think i need to explain this.

1. Inactive players is a problem, and here I actually agree with you, In my opinion we should not have the option of exiling players or self exiling at all.

2. Since I remember PA before the automatic galaxy disband, you can still get a galaxy disband, you just have to contact the PA team either via ingame mail or via irc, and they will do an assessment.

3. I do see the issue with salvage, and I belive it should have been reduced less significant than this round. However, I think this will go both ways, everyone will lose some ships from defending, and maybe this is a step in the PA team wanting to do a more attack oriented game.

However this was a post about something completely different, and this new(returning player) had other issues that he disliked, so please stay on subject. What you are doing is sending the thread off topic.