User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 20 Dec 2005, 20:38   #1
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Democracy In Russia...

By the end of the year I need to write a 5000 word essay on democracy in Russia.

Now, I would like some assistance from the good people of GD. Out of 19 awful, awful questions I have managed to pick out 4 which I shall now present to you.

1) to what extent are the failings of Russia's recent quest for democracy attributable to the stunted development of (a) a Russian 'bourgeoisie' (as distinct from an 'intelligentsia') and (b) a Russian 'civil society'? And vo what extent are a well-developed 'bourgeoisie' and a well-developed 'civil society' prerequisites for democracy?

2) Did the Yeltsin regime do more to impede than to promote the establishment of liberal democracy in post-Soviet Russia? And were there politically viable alternatives to the Yeltsin regime between 1992 and 1996?

3) to what extent is the Putin regime doing more to hinder than to promote liberal democracy in Russia?

4) Why has the majority of Russia's population been plunged into poverty since end of the Soviet regime, what (if anything) can be done to allieviate this poverty in the near future, and how has such widespread impoverishment affected the process of democratisation?

I would like your opinions on the questions, and any links to articles that are of relevence would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 21:23   #2
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Jennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet society
Re: Democracy In Russia...

So you want us to do your work for you?

Are you going to pay us?
“In spite of the roaring of the young lions at the Union, and the screaming of the rabbits in the home of the vivisect, in spite of Keble College, and the tramways, and the sporting prints, Oxford still remains the most beautiful thing in England, and nowhere else are life and art so exquisitely blended, so perfectly made one.”
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 21:24   #3
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Jennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet societyJennifer is a pillar of this Internet society

P.S. I hope you're in high school, the artists where I study write at least one 3000 word essay every week.
“In spite of the roaring of the young lions at the Union, and the screaming of the rabbits in the home of the vivisect, in spite of Keble College, and the tramways, and the sporting prints, Oxford still remains the most beautiful thing in England, and nowhere else are life and art so exquisitely blended, so perfectly made one.”
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 21:25   #4
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Or do you mean you have to write 5000 words for each of the questions by the end of the calendar year?
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 21:26   #5
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer
So you want us to do your work for you?
Kind of...

Quote:
Are you going to pay us?
I wasn't planning on it.

I was pretty much just looking for a bit of guidance asI would like a very good mark for this.

For the record, I'm Welsh and go to Swansea Uni so I've never been to 'high school'.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 21:27   #6
All Systems Go

One essay. 5000 words. Choice of 19 shitty questions.

Last edited by All Systems Go; 20 Dec 2005 at 21:43.
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 21:35   #7
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

5000 or 500?
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 21:44   #8
All Systems Go

Unread 20 Dec 2005, 21:44   #9
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

As I have said previously, at every stage of my education the word count has got less. In my post-graduate courses I have done, the word count has been about 1500-2000 words.

Anyhow, at a glance I'd imagine there's probably quite a lot of resources around for question (3) since there's a whole bunch of people who hate Putin. Hell, even Gary Kasparov has got in on the act.

You could easily do a lefty rant for (4). The dismantling of the old Soviet regime (in terms of the economic system) was probably the major economic crime of the late twentieth century. I seem to remember even the Financial Times referring to the sale of the state Gas companies as the steal of the century (or something like that). And then there was other small matters like the alleged theft of billions of dollars worth of Russian gold reserves (which I've not seen covered in any mainstream western source) and stuff like that. The whole thing was an utter shambles at best and blatant looting at worst.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 21:54   #10
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

obviously 5000 words. It's not possible to write something meaningful about these four questions with 500 words.

First of all I would like to state that these questions are aweful. Seems that they are avoiding the fact that there is a correlation between economics and democracy.

1) The oligarks took over the russian state and plundered it. They controlled the media and the president, and were de facto rulers of Russia during Jeltsin. Since they plundered the state, they brought poverty and dispair to the ordinary people. Had they been allowed to continue, the russian state might have collapsed or spiraled downwords towards a third world state. b) Russia has no tradition for having a civil society, nor democracy like we know it. Also when people are poor, they are more conserned about getting food on the table NOW, then making organisations for tomorrow.

2) What-if scenarios are shit. Yeltsin & the so called "familiy" destroyed russia, plundered state assets, exploited all the natural resources, bankcrupted the state and got it in massive debt. Also look at the death-rates, you will see them climb enourmously. And from 1990 to 2000 there has just "disapeared" alot of people..

3) I think its a irrelevent question. Sadly.

4) It's called capitalism baby. It happened in all the former COMECON countries.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 21:56   #11
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
P.S. I hope you're in high school, the artists where I study write at least one 3000 word essay every week.
When you were writing this post, what went through your head? More to the point, what was the true meaning?

Were you thinking: "This is useful information that will further this thread"? No, you were not.

"He might actually be in high school, I am interested in the answer" Nope

"I'm trolling, I hope this will turn into another thread where I can go on about Oxford" Possibly

"I want to mention that I am at Oxbridge once again, it validates me and makes me feel superior" I think this was a part of it

"I want to make the OP feel small/a failure" Almost certainly

gogogadget bracketing.
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 21:59   #12
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
2) What-if scenarios are shit. Yeltsin & the so called "familiy" destroyed russia, plundered state assets, exploited all the natural resources, bankcrupted the state and got it in massive debt. Also look at the death-rates, you will see them climb enourmously. And from 1990 to 2000 there has just "disapeared" alot of people..
At least Chelsea Football Club are doing well.
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 22:09   #13
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
When you were writing this post, what went through your head? More to the point, what was the true meaning?

Were you thinking: "This is useful information that will further this thread"? No, you were not.

"He might actually be in high school, I am interested in the answer" Nope

"I'm trolling, I hope this will turn into another thread where I can go on about Oxford" Possibly

"I want to mention that I am at Oxbridge once again, it validates me and makes me feel superior" I think this was a part of it

"I want to make the OP feel small/a failure" Almost certainly

gogogadget bracketing.
I wanted to make the OP realise that perhaps it might be worth attempting to do his/her own work, rather than sponging off GD posters. The thread is nothing more than 'here's my assignment, please give me all the references or even better tell me about it so I don't have to be bothered doing the reading'. It's clear from the way the OP writes that he/she is perfectly aware that between you all, you'd easily write in excess of 5000 words and is intending to just have you do the work instead. The shameless laziness of it ASTOUNDS me. So yes, the poster should feel small about it. It's disgraceful.
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 22:16   #14
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

He wasn't criticising your first post. He criticised the second one. The first post was cool. The second one was arrogant drivel.
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 22:16   #15
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Also look at the death-rates, you will see them climb enourmously. And from 1990 to 2000 there has just "disapeared" alot of people..
The rapid shift in demographics for the fUSSR to the present is unbelievably scary and deserves it's own study. I believe that as well death rates accelerating (as you say) birth rates dropped too. Combined with migration from East to West (to an extent worsened by a drop in the standard of living) the 1990's represented an utter collapse for the people's of those lands.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 22:18   #16
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

obligtory "in democratic russia, people overthrow you" joke
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 22:27   #17
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
I wanted to make the OP realise that perhaps it might be worth attempting to do his/her own work, rather than sponging off GD posters. The thread is nothing more than 'here's my assignment, please give me all the references or even better tell me about it so I don't have to be bothered doing the reading'. It's clear from the way the OP writes that he/she is perfectly aware that between you all, you'd easily write in excess of 5000 words and is intending to just have you do the work instead. The shameless laziness of it ASTOUNDS me. So yes, the poster should feel small about it. It's disgraceful.
what Jonny said.
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 22:28   #18
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I took Modern Russian History at the university. It was an eye opening class. It began with Peter the Great father (the first Romanov?) up until modern times but most of the class was basically Romanov policies and scandals. The Russian peoples were under a brutal serfdom-ship that lasted well beyond the emancipation's of the western Europe. In most European countries serfdom ended in the 1600's, in Russia it was abolished (in name only) in 1861. Freedom didn't follow, and many of you already know what happened after the Russian revolution.

The Russian peoples don't have a history nor a culture of freedom, instead they have the opposite. Russia, from what I read in the media, seems to be moving away from freedom. According to the December issue of Atlantic Monthly, Putin is expected to change the constitution to enable him to run for an unprecedented 3rd term in 2008. Garry Kasparov, the world chess champion, according to the same source, is going to run against him from a minority party. The only other party that gets any votes is the communist party, but during the last presidential election only gained 18% of the vote - Putin got most of the rest.

Anyhow, I recommend reading up on Russia's very long struggle with serfdom. They wrote a lot about it in the 1800's. War & Peace deals with it extensively.
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 22:34   #19
All Systems Go

Quote:
Firt of all, what is 'OP'?

Secondly, I am male.

thirdly, I am well aware of the capabilities of this forum, if I thought I would recieve crap adivce then I wouldn't have bothered. Also, knowing the range of websites people frequent here I thought they would have some handy sites which could be of assistance.

these were the best 4 questions out of the 19 that I could narrow it down to. So I turned here for assistance in making my final decision.

I was not asking for someone to do my work for me. I was merely asking for an opinion on the questions before I made my final decision.

As for lazy, I have spent the past 4 days reading one of the most boring books in the history of the world on this topic whislt bein ill and sleep-deprived.

I feel neither shame or small for asking for assistance where I knew it would be plentiful. Quite frankly, you need to get off your high horse because all you have done for the past few days is get all self-reightous and bitch about other people and it's getting a little dull.
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 22:36   #20
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

OP = original poster/original post.
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 22:37   #21
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
The thread is nothing more than 'here's my assignment, please give me all the references or even better tell me about it so I don't have to be bothered doing the reading'.
i'm not sure how this is particualrly different from wacking the title in to one of the many literature survey tools that're about. i'm not sure how reading and evaluating the stuff that people post on GD is much different to reading and evaluating 'the reading' - if anything i'd have said it was harder.

are you saying that you've never asked anyone for guidance over material for your work?

and for something completely different, it must be damned hard to come up with 3000 origonal words a week after a few years - artist(?!?) or not, you'd think people would run out.
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 22:45   #22
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
what Jonny said.
If the OP were in highschool, 5000 words is quite a lot (plus it's a lot more obvious to teachers if the child hasn't written it him/herself). If it's a huge assignment, asking friends for some pointers to give you a clue where to start isn't really that bad, and probably won't make much of a dent in what, to a child, is quite a lot of work. The child will still do the majority of it him/herself.

But if you're at uni, for pity's sake, 5000 is NOT a lot of work. If the OP had said 'hey I've done a load of work on this, and this is what I've found, does anyone know of anything that would give me another angle?' then I'd prolly have gone off googling it myself.

It was just my way of saying 'You blatantly haven't even tried, it's not an impossible task, and yet you want us to do it for you. Just get on with it.'
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 23:11   #23
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

I find it very hard to believe that the literal meaning of your words is what you meant. Stick by that if it makes you feel better though, we all know the truth

edit: that was the whole point of my post, if you didnt get it

fakedit2: actually, i suppose you didnt, since your first reply was only slightly more bizarre than your most recent one. Ho hum.
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 23:21   #24
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Firt of all, what is 'OP'?

Secondly, I am male.

thirdly, I am well aware of the capabilities of this forum, if I thought I would recieve crap adivce then I wouldn't have bothered. Also, knowing the range of websites people frequent here I thought they would have some handy sites which could be of assistance.

these were the best 4 questions out of the 19 that I could narrow it down to. So I turned here for assistance in making my final decision.

I was not asking for someone to do my work for me. I was merely asking for an opinion on the questions before I made my final decision.

As for lazy, I have spent the past 4 days reading one of the most boring books in the history of the world on this topic whislt bein ill and sleep-deprived.

I feel neither shame or small for asking for assistance where I knew it would be plentiful. Quite frankly, you need to get off your high horse because all you have done for the past few days is get all self-reightous and bitch about other people and it's getting a little dull.
Woah, steady on. OK, you were asking for opinions on which questions to answer. To me, an opinion on a question like an essay title is your opinion on what the question is asking about, rather than something like 'I think this is a hard question'. If you re-read your original post bearing mind that 'opinions on the questions' may be read as 'opinions on what the questions above are asking about' you'll probably appreciate why I thought you were out of line! (I still think it's still a little cheeky to ask people to give you the references tho, because finding the references is often the hardest part!)

mist, it's not too bad if the questions are quite creative, and sufficiently entertaining. A friend of mine (she does theology) was set in her start-of-term exam the following:

"For as we all know, God made man in his own image. It'd be a sad lookout for Christians throughout the globe if God looked anything like you, Baldrick."
-Lord E. Blackadder

Discuss.

Last edited by Jennifer; 20 Dec 2005 at 23:29.
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 23:29   #25
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

and here's you arguing against the waste of education funding...

when you said they wrote 3000 words a week i assumed you meant that they had some academic substance. i'd imagine some people manage that on these forums...
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 23:31   #26
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

What?
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 23:32   #27
mist
Jolt's best friend

i was implying that setting exams on baldrick's uglyness is a greater waste of funding than sending students out on the piss. at least the drunk ones have an excuse.
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 23:33   #28
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
that's nowt
when i were a lad we had to get up in mornin, do two 3 hour exams before breakfast, get sent down pit, study a random 2000 page text book written in ancient egyptian whilst workin a 14 hour shift and then submit a 50,000 word essay before we went to bed every day of t week.
And if we failed, we was shot. if we were lucky
kids these days don't know they're born...
aye.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 23:37   #29
All Systems Go

Quote:
(I still think it's still a little cheeky to ask people to give you the references tho, because finding the references is often the hardest part!)
I don't want references as most on-line resources are not good options for quoting.

Seeing as these are modern-day questions, recent articles on current events would be useful as a bit of background etc...
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 23:45   #30
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
i was implying that setting exams on baldrick's uglyness is a greater waste of funding than sending students out on the piss. at least the drunk ones have an excuse.
They do actually have to write stuff that is theologically sound. I think the reason for it is that in the vacation work they were set, they were told to read from a selection of books, and it was fairly non-specific. If you gave questions that weren't open to interpretation (e.g. 'Discuss the blah blah of the Pharisees in Mark chapter x verses y-z and relate it to role of the christian church in relation to blah blah in some random period in history') someone's bound to go 'shit, I studied John this vac'. People may well have ended up having read a load of stuff and out of the questions on the paper, what they knew wasn't relevant to any of them. In actual schools exams, they are a lot more specific, because what you have to read about is much more specific.

Last edited by Jennifer; 20 Dec 2005 at 23:56.
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 23:51   #31
mist
Jolt's best friend

Quote:
They do actuualy have to write stuff that is theologically sound.
this made me smile, so thanks for that.
i don't really want to hijack this thread any further tho. who knows, if it gets going i might learn something \o/
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 23:52   #32
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
that's nowt
when i were a lad we had to get up in mornin, do two 3 hour exams before breakfast, get sent down pit, study a random 2000 page text book written in ancient egyptian whilst workin a 14 hour shift and then submit a 50,000 word essay before we went to bed every day of t week.
And if we failed, we was shot. if we were lucky
kids these days don't know they're born...
aye.
I can tell you're lying. Because they don't make papyrus for textbooks, so the 2000 page book would have to be carved into stone. That would be way too heavy cos I know you're a weedy little bastard. So you must be lying.
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 23:53   #33
mist
Jolt's best friend

Quote:
I can tell you're lying. Because they don't make papyrus for textbooks, so the 2000 page book would have to be carved into stone. That would be way too heavy cos I know you're a weedy little bastard. So you must be lying.
obligatory BBC link

our national institutions seem to support his story. ish.
Unread 20 Dec 2005, 23:59   #34
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

spent most of night before copyin carvin's onto paper...
don't tell me bout 'eavy, carryin 5 tonne of coal out pit every day.
had 7 kids to look after an all, not countin the ones i ad with me first wife, that were before the great plague of 74 of course.

EDIT I'm gonna stop there. I have a feeling Jennifer is going to try and drag this out until it's no longer funny any more

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2005, 00:13   #35
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Oh, yeah, milk it baby!

Milk it for all it's worth!
Unread 21 Dec 2005, 00:34   #36
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

A Freudian slip?
Unread 21 Dec 2005, 00:43   #37
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
and here's you arguing against the waste of education funding...
Judge the worth of any money spent on education on the answers, not the questions.

Discuss.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2005, 01:18   #38
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
It seems like a fair question to me, although its phrased in a playful manner. It has obvious connections with (eg) the problem of evil, and the tendancy for Western religions to create gods that are esentially idealised projections of certain human characteristics (as compared to the impersonal 'mystical forces' you get in Eastern spiritualism for instance). You could write a good essay on Nietzsche in answer to that question, especially since it has an aesthetic dimension

Although yeah, if we're going to start labelling degrees as being worthless, theology will be one of the first.

Last edited by Nodrog; 21 Dec 2005 at 01:25.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2005, 01:31   #39
Jennifer
Destroyer of Worlds

Not if you want to 'reason with' and therefore control the masses. There are still a lot of Christians on this planet.
Unread 21 Dec 2005, 02:03   #40
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Well, I doubt that most 'Christians' know enough about the Bible or Christianity to engage in (or listen to) a serious debate on the subject. Look at the Da Vinci Code hysteria as an example of how clueless the average person is about the history of their religion. With the exception of a few hard-core types, I suspect that the only real exposure most 'Sunday believers' have had to the Bible is a few barely remembered highschool religion classes, along with several scattered passages from the New Testement which get read out during Mass.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2005, 02:07   #41
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Question 3 looks like the intelligent choice.
Unread 21 Dec 2005, 02:49   #42
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

1) to what extent are the failings of Russia's recent quest for democracy attributable to the stunted development of (a) a Russian 'bourgeoisie' (as distinct from an 'intelligentsia') and (b) a Russian 'civil society'? And vo what extent are a well-developed 'bourgeoisie' and a well-developed 'civil society' prerequisites for democracy?

although its a simple question as it sets out the structure etc easily for you, its bloody boring and I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole.

2) Did the Yeltsin regime do more to impede than to promote the establishment of liberal democracy in post-Soviet Russia? And were there politically viable alternatives to the Yeltsin regime between 1992 and 1996?

I did something like this in an essay but it was more looking at Putin and Yeltsin. Its a good question because for the first part you can definatly write about both sides, because on the one hand he did promote the establishment of democracy (setting up Russia, non USSR, communism gone, yada yada yada) however on the other hand he didnt exactly help it (Kasbhulatov (my proffessor is his biographer, and was there at the time) Russian Parliament, Constitution, elections etc)

Once again the second part of the question you can argue yes or no but argue more for no, lack or real opposition as well some of it was locked up. Dodgy deals behind closed doors, loads of parties, tons and tons just not big paties ie alternatives. But you can pick your way through that.

3) to what extent is the Putin regime doing more to hinder than to promote liberal democracy in Russia?

You could write a bloody dissertation on this.

4) Why has the majority of Russia's population been plunged into poverty since end of the Soviet regime, what (if anything) can be done to allieviate this poverty in the near future, and how has such widespread impoverishment affected the process of democratisation?

boring.

I would do question 2 or 3, there is absolutely tons of literature on both Yeltsin and Putin and its fairly interesting stuff.
Unread 21 Dec 2005, 02:53   #43
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
I would do question 3. There was certain developments recently in terms of Putin closing down the Russian media.

The way to get to 5000 words though and to get a good mark is to turn the question on its head and look at how Putin has improved democracy in Russia.
very much so, in the essay i wrote on Putin he has done some argubably democratic reforms, like the courts etc and other things. I will try and fish out a few of my essays by friday and send them too you, thats if I can find my laptop ;/

On the note of writers and references, search for Richard Sakwa, hes written a fair few books on Putin as I said earlier hes my prof (he is one of the few academics who meets him every year or so along with a select few in western media.
Unread 21 Dec 2005, 10:51   #44
mist
Jolt's best friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Judge the worth of any money spent on education on the answers, not the questions.

Discuss.
it would seem that the question to some extent predicates the answer, and therefore if you're judging by the answer you are, by neccessity, judging by the question.

as an example, take a-levels. last i heard universities were complaining that the distinction between A grade students wasn't enough, as the exams didn't test 'well' enough. surely this is an example of the question(s) making it difficult to judge the education?

that asside, would we have heard of einstein if his question in life had been about what colour trousers were best?
Unread 21 Dec 2005, 14:12   #45
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
it would seem that the question to some extent predicates the answer, and therefore if you're judging by the answer you are, by neccessity, judging by the question.

as an example, take a-levels. last i heard universities were complaining that the distinction between A grade students wasn't enough, as the exams didn't test 'well' enough. surely this is an example of the question(s) making it difficult to judge the education?

that asside, would we have heard of einstein if his question in life had been about what colour trousers were best?
With the paragraphs in order:

1. That becomes less and less true with less and less specific questions, and even then, especially when dealing with a less problem-solving based subject like philosophy or theology, it's quite possible to do something utterly unexpected that transcends the question, whilst still having it as its heart.

2. It's say quite the opposite. The more specific and transparent the question, the easier it is to answer. With something like the above question, it's horrifically easy to tell apart the intelligent students who know their subject and the ones that either aren't intelligent or don't.

3. That's problem solving, not demonstrating aptitude for an arts subject. "What's 1+1 equal to, in the base 10 counting system?" has but one answer. "With regards to intertextuality, examine A Tale of Two Cities." has many, in essence the variety limited only by the candidates' aptitudes for the course.

In conclusion: I think that having a very narrow view of that question demonstrates more about you than it does about the question. Nod has given an example of how you could answer it, you have appeared to have just noticed that it's a Blackadder quote and assumed its worthless because of it.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Dec 2005, 14:18   #46
mist
Jolt's best friend

i've always found broad questions easier than specific ones
Unread 21 Dec 2005, 17:33   #47
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
By the end of the year I need to write a 5000 word essay on democracy in Russia.

Now, I would like some assistance from the good people of GD. Out of 19 awful, awful questions I have managed to pick out 4 which I shall now present to you.
The other anwsers in this thread looked good and were from people who have read more than me about it. I am just chipping in with my personal experiences from living there. sorry it's a bit rushed.
Quote:
I'd rather attribute it to the fact that russians are dishonest thieves bereft of any morals whatsoever.
Quote:
2) Did the Yeltsin regime do more to impede than to promote the establishment of liberal democracy in post-Soviet Russia?
Yes.
Quote:
And were there politically viable alternatives to the Yeltsin regime between 1992 and 1996?
No.

Quote:
The russians are clamouring for a strong leader, so they're getting what they're asking for.
Quote:
1. Well, the alcohol prohibition of Gorbatchov made sure the mafia(I use this word in the widest sense possible) grew strong. When the all-governing state was dismantled so ridicously fast, they were the only powerstructure ready to take over.

2. Things will not change. Every single educated russian I spoke too had no long term hope.

3. On the bright side, people are actually campaigning though. I witnessed the Moscow elections when I was there, and there were commercials and stuff everywhere. Nobody seemed to give a flying **** though.
Unread 21 Dec 2005, 18:22   #48
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

I would like your opinions on the questions, and any links to articles that are of relevence would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.
I like 3) and 4) although they might not be the easiest questions for you to do. 3 enables you to take a really interesting look at the inner workings of putin's regime. A large amount of literature has been written on this topic and I'd definitely read some more alternative viewpoints on the recent changes in the russian state and both international opinion's and other nation-states' reaction to these changes.

4 means you can look at communism, the fall of communism in the USSR, the problems of converting to a capitalist economy from a communist one, possible solutions to these ones and the effect of economics on politics. I think I'd genuinely enjoy writing this essay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyfe
I'd rather attribute it to the fact that russians are dishonest thieves bereft of any morals whatsoever.