User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 11 Jan 2006, 03:53   #1
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

eJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to behold
I was wondering what you pro-abortionists thought of this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4592890.stm

You probably all heard about this, though im suprised there wasnt a thread on it.

(To clarify my position, i believe abortion should only be allowed if the mothers life is at risk, if the mother was raped, and perhaps in cases of incest. Im not religious at all.)

So it seems theres going to be a massive gender imbalance in India, much like the problem in China.

The questions ask themselves, but im going to get slaughtered on wording as ever by the pedants. Dont question the questions, please just state how you interpret them, or state what you think the real questions and answers are.

Is it still a womens choice if its purely for reasons of sex? Even though this will create an unbalanced soceity?

Are there solid links between this gender imbalance and the rise of sexually motivated assaults?
[16:09] <eJohn> im still standing
eJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 03:58   #2
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: I was wondering what you pro-abortionists thought of this

Thinking it's the women who choose away the girls is rather shallow. I would assume, that in a society like India where the husband is the dominating person in the relalationship, it is he who takes the choice.
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 04:01   #3
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

eJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to behold

Then take the question as "the parents choice", but the debate is always known as "the womens choice". Could you possibly stop being a fag for one minute and read the initial post? Cause thatd be just ****ing wonderful
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 04:03   #4
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

I hadn't actually seen that before but the claim that this might have been going on for 20 years seems a bit far fetched to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJohn
Is it still a womens choice if its purely for reasons of sex?
Yes, it doesn't really bother me why parents want an abortion, they should be free to do so if they wish.

Quote:
Even though this will create an unbalanced soceity?
The article stated that there are generally more women born than men so you could consider society to already be unbalanced. I'm not really sure why this matters though, other than me having more competition for women.
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 04:04   #5
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

India and China need a lack of woman.
I don't think it really is a bad thing what's happening over their.

And even if it was; it still wouldn't be up to us to decide if they need to keep an unwanted child.
They are the once that have to raise it. Not you.

Last edited by Alessio; 11 Jan 2006 at 04:24.
Alessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 06:57   #6
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: I was wondering what you pro-abortionists thought of this

Quote:
Is it still a womens choice if its purely for reasons of sex? Even though this will create an unbalanced soceity?
Yes. A society with such a strong preference for one sex over the other is arguably already unbalanced. Without the abortion option it just manifests itself in other ways (children of the unwanted sex are killed, abused, sold into various forms of bondage, etc).
Quote:
Are there solid links between this gender imbalance and the rise of sexually motivated assaults?
Sexual assault is usually about power, control and violence--not sex per se.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 09:25   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
You have to ask why "balance" is good, or what "balance" even means. This words is important because balance sounds like a good thing, it implies something works. Well why would a society of equal men and women work better then one without?
Just butting in here to point out that the only relevent evolutionary reason for the 1:1 sex ratio is the selfish gene. When there are more powerful factors at work, you can get "unbalanced" sex ratios that are perfectly stable.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 09:43   #8
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Most of the points I wanted to raise have already been done so. But...

1. Is there a rise in sexually motivated assaults? In which societies, and can you supply a source for this? Rape is a notoriously difficult crime to get accurate statistics for. Conversely, populations with majority female populations (i.e. most of the world, including South Africa) do not exactly seem to be rape-free so I doubt there's a significant link.

2. Have you not considered that if these women were not having abortions they might carry out infanticide, or at the very least abandoment.

Quote:
It's always a woman choice, the motivation is frankly irrelevent. If she wants to get pregnant for fun and then have an abortion because she enjoys the sensation then she should be free too (obviously we may wish to make her pay in such circumstances, but whatever). Embryos and early-stage fetuses do not have "subrights" or something like that

Your story is the usual misunderstanding of elementary freedoms. It's like people saying "Should people have freedom of speech, even when they're going to say something really horrible or racist?". Well, yes they should. The freedom is not at fault, it is the society (as T&F has said) which has spawned such a viewpoint, which has made such behaviour rational or at least understandable.

Oh and finally, T&F has made this point but I am not pro-abortion. I do not want people to have abortions per se. I want people to have the choice. The only people I have met who were "pro-abortion" have been fundamentalist environmentalists who desire to reduce the human population as much as possible so the chimps can take over or some shit.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 11:01   #9
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

that article doesn't give the figures for male child abortion, and therefore you cannot really make an informed judgement. Also, looking at the figures it does give, i really wouldnt call that too unbalanced to be fair, it is certainly balanced enough to sustain a viable population
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 11:08   #10
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
that article doesn't give the figures for male child abortion, and therefore you cannot really make an informed judgement. Also, looking at the figures it does give, i really wouldnt call that too unbalanced to be fair, it is certainly balanced enough to sustain a viable population
30% deviation from 1:1 is quite a significant deviation, it just doesn't matter that much.
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 12:40   #11
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
could you maybe say something a bit more on that ?
or maybe link to an article (genuine interest)
Let us assume that a female can choose the sex of her child (this works without this concept as well, without any change at all, it's just quicker to explain).
Let us also assume that the female wants to pass on her own genes (this is also fairly trivial. Genes that act to pass themselves on better are more likely to be passed on, and so dominate).

If there are more males than females, then there is competition between the males to pass on their genes. So, to make it more likely that the mother's genes will be passed on to a subsequent generation, the mother chooses a female, but chooses a male when there's more females than males.

Therefore there's this negative feedback system, where the more the system deviates from the 1:1, the more beneficial it is for the individuals to restore the system to 1:1.

Clearly, there are quite a few things that can cause deviation from this, but that's the basic concept, and introduces the concept of negative feedback which is extremely useful when looking at things from an evolutionary standpoint.
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 15:09   #12
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
Are you saying the mother's body "choses" to do this (epigenetics ?) when it registers the sex ratio is out of wack (a deviant from 1:1)
Or that the mother will make a subconscious decision to look after a particular sex more so than the other one ?
I could imagine them maybe feeding one more, and generally "loving" one more.
No, you've mistunderstood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Let us assume that a female can choose the sex of her child (this works without this concept as well, without any change at all, it's just quicker to explain).
Let's look in more detail, then. Lets assume that there are genes which are more likely to produce a girl, and there are genes which are more likely to produce a boy. It's fairly obvious that there will be a higher concentration of "Boy" genes in boys than in girls, and a higher concentration of "Girl" genes in boys (notice: it's relative concentration, not absolute amounts).

Lets assume that there exists, in a generation, more of the "Boy" genes. This means that in the next generation there will be more boys than girls. However, this means that girls are more likely to pass on their genetic information. As seen above, girls are more likely to carry the "Girl" genes, so the "Girl" genes will be more likely to be expressed in the next generation - so the number of girls will increase.

There are three possible situations in the next generation.

1. There are still more boys than girls, in which case the same happens as above.
2. There are now more girls than boys, in which case the "Boy" gene is selected for using the above mechanism, swapping the words "boy" and "girl".
3. There are the same number of boys and girls, which means that the boy/girl genes are "Selectively Neutral" - they cause neither advantage nor disadvantage.

(3) is rather implausable, and is not a stable situation in any event. But the actions of (1) and (2) are to tend the sex ratio to 1:1, because when it deviates in either direction the tendency is to return towards it.
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 15:19   #13
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Lets assume that there are genes which are more likely to produce a girl, and there are genes which are more likely to produce a boy.
I understand the rest of the argument, but is there evidence for this?

(I appreciate you never said there was, and this is not intended to be a loaded or hostile question)
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 15:24   #14
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Maybe this is nature's way of rectifying the overpopulation of eastern and southern asia? Didn't think about that one did you huh?
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 15:28   #15
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I understand the rest of the argument, but is there evidence for this?
I can't link to any sources, but it's mentioned in my notes.

Another question is: why would you think that they wouldn't differ?
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 15:36   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Another question is: why would you think that they wouldn't differ?
Perhaps I am considering the question backwards, but I don't presume there is a genetic casue for something unless there appears to be a good reason to. Of course you hear of families where they've had a preponderence of sons for the last x generations* but I'd assumed that this sort of thing can often be put down to probability given the amount of people being born in general (sort of like 36 Red coming up 5 times in a row or 3 people in a family sharing a birth date or whatnot).

* = You know what I mean, clearly the mother's "line" has to be considered.
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 15:45   #17
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

according to this site the birth ratio is 1.05:1 male to female, which differs from what that article claims, also, if you look on the BBC news site there is another article today casting doubt on the conclusions raised in the first article. Basically i think that the article is quite disingenuous and should be taken with a pinch of salt
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 15:52   #18
Dante Hicks
Clerk

I thought the general pattern was more males were born but more females survived (which is usually why populations become imbalanced as you go up the age pyramid) - or something like that. Possibly the other way round, with another switch happening in later life.

Either way, if you can't get a date it's probably not going to be because of demographic issues but because you're shit.
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 15:53   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Perhaps I am considering the question backwards, but I don't presume there is a genetic casue for something unless there appears to be a good reason to.
Something like the way the sperm swims, or how it survives, or the like, is genetic. I don't know offhand what the mechanism of sperm production is (as you can imagine, googling for this is troublesome, and the notes and books I have don't cover human physiology in any detail, let alone the amount required) but given the tendency of meiosis to fail to reproduce correctly, and the fact that male and female sperm are based on different bits of the genetic code, it's not implausable to consider that they would not have identical attributes.
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 16:06   #20
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
[...]Lets assume that there exists, in a generation, more of the "Boy" genes.[...]
Sorry, I'm having trouble.

Are you claiming gender-ratio affects future gender-ratio?

Since a child (made the tradional way atleast) has one mother and one father gender-ratio can not affect anything at all genetically. I mean, the relative amounts of the genes for each seperate gender are usable variables, however using a single variable for total concentration when the selection-process is biased (through demanding one male and one female) is a fallacy.
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 16:15   #21
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyfe
Sorry, I'm having trouble.

Are you claiming gender-ratio affects future gender-ratio?

Since a child (made the tradional way atleast) has one mother and one father gender-ratio can not affect anything at all genetically. I mean, the relative amounts of the genes for each seperate gender are usable variables, however using a single variable for total concentration when the selection-process is biased (through demanding one male and one female) is a fallacy.
I had distinct trouble working out what you were trying to argue until I realised you had completely misunderstood my post. "Boy" genes and "Girl" genes (capitalised and in inverted commas) are, I would think, fairly obviously distinct from the X and Y chromosomes. Did the fact that what (that both genes were present in both sexes) not give you a clue that this was the case?
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 17:07   #22
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

Quote:
The questions ask themselves, but im going to get slaughtered on wording as ever by the pedants. Dont question the questions, please just state how you interpret them, or state what you think the real questions and answers are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Hi, yeah erm **** you dude.

This is a public forum and peoepl can answer how they bloody well like. First of all you put an obvious troll in your title by using the phrase pro-abortion when obviously its pro-choice, as you well know. Where you trying to funny? Its sad if you were because that distinction is key to this debate.

Secondly you have a question which is full of assumptions and then say don't question the question. Well any idiot knows that in questions of this nature the FIRST thing you do is question the question.

Thirdly the distinction in power between men and women is obviously at the heart of debate as demonstarted by everyone above. Cleary women should have control over their own bodies. Your placing of your choice theft views is at least full disclosure that you have failed ot think aboutthis issue to any extent.

You have to ask why "balance" is good, or what "balance" even means. This words is important because balance sounds like a good thing, it implies something works. Well why would a society of equal men and women work better then one without?

Also it is clear when decirbing a social trend that although we talk of choice and all these families choosing male babies, what is actualyl occuring is an economic trend, so the best question is to to ask what the economic background to the situation is, why aren't women economically more independent in India?

So your questions show a complete lack of appreciation for the situation and thus should clearly be questions.

Your last question is mildly interesting but I assume its implying that there are lots of frustrated blokes out there unable to find a girl and so they are committing sexual assault. I have doubts about this.

I think in this issue we need not look much further than the gigantic social inequality in India for all sorts of disturbing effects.

You may claim that you anticpated this reply, but you were being shit so you can expect to get called on that.

I enjoy how you go on to talk about me trolling apparently but fail to actually read what i wrote. I was saying "if you dont think the questions im asking are relevant then fine, answer what questions you do think are relevant" which would have singlehandedly stopped one line "its a womens choice" or "its pro choice not pro abortion you fag" replies. Congratulations, you singlehandedly deliberately misinterpreted my post and set the thread back.

Going back to the "is abortion right" argument isnt going to help anyone (which is why i stated my view and left it at that). But if you're going to try and enforce your _personal_ view of liberty and human freedoms, mine is that a women's choice / parents choice is before you put your ****ing cock in someone. Everyone has a choice, its just your point of view tends to ignore that blindingly obvious fact.

May i just say as well that although i dont respect your point of view (pro-choice for whatever reason imaginable disgusts me), i do acknowledge that it is a widespread point of view. But whats the point? You're never going to convince me i'm irrational and im never going to convince you your point of view is pretty revolting. So why bring the whole argument back up again?

Pro-choice, pro-abortion. I dont care. You've gone ballistic over a choice of words, which i wont apologise for. Its nitpicking, and im not trying to hide my bias.

Again, im asking questions, not stating facts. Interpret them and answer them or state what you think is relevant all you want, im not claiming to have all the answers. Youd love it if i was though.

As to the sexually motivated assaults, the reason i phrased that as a question is because im pretty confident i read something about that in china & hong kong somewhere, but as of yet, i havent looked up a source. I wondered if anyone else had any info.
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 17:11   #23
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

On a side note, despite my disclaimers, guess what happened! the bias of a thread starter was attacked rather than the actual issue. The thread did evolve into something interesting with the discussion about balance, but again, most of you would rather throw your toys out of the pram and attack the poster and the post rather than the issue. I'll gladly take neg reps all day for that sort of internet faggotry
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 17:38   #24
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Pro-choice, pro-abortion. I dont care. You've gone ballistic over a choice of words, which i wont apologise for. Its nitpicking, and im not trying to hide my bias.
Words have meanings. If someone says "strong government" instead of "fascist government" they are making a choice (conscious or not) which has very strong implications to their point. As I say, I am not "pro-abortion". I don't really want abortions to take place, in the active sense. So pro-abortion is misleading in the extreme. It's not nitpicking when there are entirely different connotations to terms used (or meanings in this case).

Anyway, your only real question is pretty easy to answer, and has been done by at least two people quite clearly. A woman is free to dispose of a bunch of cells in her body however she pleases. The end, gg, wp, new map plz.
Quote:
As to the sexually motivated assaults, the reason i phrased that as a question is because im pretty confident i read something about that in china & hong kong somewhere, but as of yet, i havent looked up a source. I wondered if anyone else had any info.
I'd really need to see the source before commenting further. China has been undergoing massive changes in the last twenty years, so it'd be pretty hasty to blame a (hypothetical) rise in rapes on one factor (gender imbalance). There may be research which implies this, but it could be the product of overly-simplistic "economist" style thinking.

Anyway, I'd still wager that China probably has a lower "rape" rate than South Aftrica, Brazil or even the United States anyway. If only because domestic rapes probably still aren't categorised effectively as rape (again, no evidence for this) and it's probably still more of a male-dominated society (although I suspect China is better off than many of her neighbours in this regard).

Finally, I'm not sure why Hong Kong would be lumped in with China in an analysis since they've had radically different socio-economic systems until quite recently.
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 17:38   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I enjoy how you go on to talk about me trolling apparently but fail to actually read what i wrote. I was saying "if you dont think the questions im asking are relevant then fine, answer what questions you do think are relevant" which would have singlehandedly stopped one line "its a womens choice" or "its pro choice not pro abortion you fag" replies. Congratulations, you singlehandedly deliberately misinterpreted my post and set the thread back.
Oh please, when one of the major arguments used by the "anti-abortionists", especially in the states, is the strawman of "Pro-abortion" instead of "Pro-choice", is it any wonder that this is commented upon?

[edit]

To answer your questions, "Yes", "What?", "No" respectively.
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 17:38   #26
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

when a thread is terribly constructed there isnt much point in actually discussing the questions that it tries to raise, as they will be hugely flawed. Do you not understand that or do you not agree with that assessment of the OP?
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 19:19   #27
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

Would you have preferred i posted a link, and left no comment? I typed out some questions that i felt were relevant and invited people to discuss questions they thought were relevant.
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 19:28   #28
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If you could just answer me that would be swell.
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 19:32   #29
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

assessment of the OP?

Im not sure i understand.
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 19:42   #30
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
If you could just answer me that would be swell.
(ejohn was the OP)

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 19:42   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Would you have preferred i posted a link, and left no comment? I typed out some questions that i felt were relevant and invited people to discuss questions they thought were relevant.
I'm sure putting more thought into some areas would have rendered the original post superior to its current state.
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 19:44   #32
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

I've lost count of how many times ive said this now. Im not a troll, and i dont have all the answers. I was asking some questions, and asking other people to state what questions they thought were relevant and debate them. Funnily enough i was looking for some interesting discussion, and its nothing short of incredible that despite trying to leave everything open ended, we've been bogged down in semantics and tribalism anyway.

Edit : The sheer arrogance of presuming my entire basis for my thread is wrong based on some peoples _opinion_ on abortion/pro-choice is pretty dumbfounding, and i'm certainly not the bad guy here.
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 19:47   #33
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
I've lost count of how many times ive said this now. Im not a troll, and i dont have all the answers. I was asking some questions, and asking other people to state what questions they thought were relevant and debate them. Funnily enough i was looking for some interesting discussion, and its nothing short of incredible that despite trying to leave everything open ended, we've been bogged down in semantics and tribalism anyway.

Edit : The sheer arrogance of presuming my entire basis for my thread is wrong based on some peoples _opinion_ on abortion/pro-choice is pretty dumbfounding, and i'm certainly not the bad guy here.
"Putting more thought in" would, to my mind, include not using loaded phrases that are used by flawed and irritating arguments against abortion.

In summation, you agree with me.
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 19:54   #34
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

As per usual, you're nitpicking. I'm not suprised but you're not going anywhere. You're still trying to say i loaded the questions deliberately, when its pretty plain to see i already expected complaints about wording, and explained briefly my position so people could factor it in when making up their own opinions.
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 19:56   #35
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
...You're still trying to say i loaded the questions deliberately...
No I'm not, your english comprehension is piss-poor.

Furthermore, your "explanation of position" just confirmed that you were in the expected demographic that would make such a claim.
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 20:19   #36
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
(ejohn was the OP)
(I meant my question)
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 20:25   #37
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
(I meant my question)
(I thought you were asking his opinion about what the OP said when in fact he was the OP, never mind <3)

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 20:31   #38
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

(When i said OP i meant original post rather than original poster)
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 22:08   #39
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
What do you mean the real questions?

Quote:
Is it still a womens choice if its purely for reasons of sex?
What? It's still a woman's choice if she makes it for any reason. Do you mean should it still be here choice?

Quote:
Even though this will create an unbalanced soceity?
What's a balanced society?

Quote:
Not that I'm aware of, have you read differently? Considering other social changes in those areas in recent history I'd be very hesitant before saying that it's leading to a rise in sexually motivated assaults even if there was one. As a mild aside I was under the impression that this was a fairly recent affair, no more than thirty years old. Surely the resultant demographic differences would still be fairly miniscule as regards the majority of the sexually active population?

Of course most of this has been said already and this thread has become your rant against people who prefer using the correct words instead of just using whichever ones seem to aid your point most.
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 22:35   #40
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

As I understand it, the pregnancy ratio, when untampered with is 100 female to 106 male pregnancy. This has to do, they believe, with the difference between the size and strength of the male as opposed to the female loaded sperm. Lighter and faster due to less genetic material to carry. However, in as much as
ph-balance in the mother at the time of conception is a major factor and the shell of the ova can also influence it, it is hard to tell exactly what causes it, it just is.

I have been aware of this trend in Indian society for a number of years as I read one about fertility doctors in Canada who specialize in Indian families who aren't trying to be more fertile but who are trying to have male children and not female children. I read an article on this over ten years ago, I am sure.

I do not feel myself in a position to pass judgement on others for wanting their families to be of a certain composition. The methods they choose however is a different quesstion. Abortion of a fetus within the first tri-mester is okay by me. Infanticide is not okay with me. Partial birth abortion for not medical emergency is not okay with me. Second tri-mester for cosmetic purposes, I am ambivilent about. Seems like a bad idea. However, who am I to say?

Rape? Not a likely response to any perceived imbalance. Why not ask if homsexuality would be a likely result of too many men to women?
Unread 11 Jan 2006, 22:43   #41
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

A balanced society has equal numbers of black people and white people, so forced abortions aimed at reducing the birthrate of a certain race (coupled with denying abortions to people of the other race) is justified in order to restore equilibrium.

edit: I class myself as pro-abortion

Last edited by Nodrog; 11 Jan 2006 at 22:52.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2006, 01:44   #42
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Of course most of this has been said already and this thread has become your rant against people who prefer using the correct words instead of just using whichever ones seem to aid your point most.
if they had "used the correct words" and in anyway contributed to the thread or discussion then i wouldnt mind. People trying to score points as the established users on the grounds of pedantry and their own personal assumptions and opinions isnt really defendable im afraid. Im not sure why people seem to think im "unwilling to discuss the issue" when all i wanted was to facilitate discussion. A true shame thats something certain users are incapable of
Unread 12 Jan 2006, 01:54   #43
JonnyBGood
Banned

T&F's post did discuss your questions as well as criticise your phrasing though. Aside from that most people responded to the questions and the thread evolved into a bit of a lesson concerning genetics and then you made some insane comment about most people attacking your bias which was just not true and then mark made a connected point concerning this issue and then I posted. Oh and I had a delightful little troll which got ignored about 20 posts in
Unread 12 Jan 2006, 02:22   #44
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Maybe this is nature's way of rectifying the overpopulation of eastern and southern asia? Didn't think about that one did you huh?
For those that missed it. It was a post which made me smile, but I must spread more reputation around before I give it to you again. Shame really.