User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 28 Nov 2007, 00:12   #1
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society
Galaxies and new players.

Please bear with me on this suggestion, as its not any kind of finished idea. I am just putting the idea there and want to know who YOU as a HC, alliance member or GC would abuse it.

I signed up a planet this round. A free planet. I deliberetly did not interact with the gals to see the kind of reception I get. Its been shocking. To give you some kind of idea, here is two mails I got from one gal (co-ords edited). There was no other contact and I was exiled.

Galaxy 2- x:x
Message sent from x:x:x
do u wanna self exile?

x:x:x
------------------------------------
can u self exile plz.

============================

This happened as a matter of fact. Once you get past the spam on overview of free planet limits, and the spam from MOTD, you get a mail asking you to leave? How is that even close to helping the game keep players? No wonder its dying.

Anyway, onto the idea itself. Other than hc's trying to get members into helping there noob gals, and bringing back quests (which I think there is a lot to be said for that), maybe something needs to be coded in.

I am thinking of having a two tier gal system.

In tier one you ahve the normal players. If you join an alliance in the top 15, or hit over a certain score (say 300k) or over a certain value etc, you automatically get put into tier one.
Then, at tick 200 tier 2 opens for all the smaller planets. A planet in tier two stays in the galaxy for a longer time, say 250 ticks. Planets in tier 2 do not count in the galaxy score at all. However, a planet can be upgraded within the 250 ticks by the GC into tier one.
When a planet is upgraded into tier one its score stats being counted towards the galaxy.
Each planet that is upgraded (and kept for a certain length of time) could provide some kind of bonus to the galaxy.
New planets and exiled planets (tier 2) rejoining the universe could then join galaxies on a strict 1:2, 1:3, 1:4 etc etc basis, rather than joining smaller galaxies first. Tier 1 gals join the universe as they do now.
Exiles would cost a lot more to make it worthwhile keeping planets.

Would this encourage GC's to keep planets longer?
Could a bonus be worth it to the gals to help out the new players?

Please take this idea apart with constructive critisism and tell me why it wont work and how you would/could abuse it, so I can refine the idea.
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2007, 00:23   #2
XillveR
X markes the spot

XillveR is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Galaxies and new players.

well I think ppl are checking the game out, and if they dont get it they just leave it. so i can understand that you gonna get exiled if you dont even react a little bit.

the rest of the idea dunno..
R24 Orbit ToF HC
R25 Orbit member
R26-28 ToF HC
R29 Vengance member
R30-31 break
R32 Tides Of Vengance member
R33 ROCK member

XillveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2007, 01:26   #3
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest
I deliberetly did not interact with the gals to see the kind of reception I get.
No surprise you got exiled then. You deliberately sign up for a planet and idle in galaxies just to see what sort of a response you get. It's hardly a surprise you get exiled when that valuable place in the galaxy could be filled up by someone active.

What's to stop galaxies exiling these tier 2 players to get tier 1 players joining through exiles?

Nobody has looked at the game from a new players perspective for a long time and it shows very badly. I'd say looking at all the problems new players face would be more valuable instead of figuring out more weird and crazy ideas to force new players on galaxies.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2007, 02:51   #4
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'd cov op and hide my res in my prod queue. And not fail to bring it out at round end.

Alternatively, just become homgfat and count on gal/ally defence to keep me alive while doing the prod hiding.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Nov 2007, 16:46   #5
Forest

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper

Nobody has looked at the game from a new players perspective for a long time and it shows very badly. I'd say looking at all the problems new players face would be more valuable instead of figuring out more weird and crazy ideas to force new players on galaxies.
Thats EXACTLY what I have done, and this thread is a direct result of that.

I did't interact to see if I would get any support or anything. I got none. Infact, as soon as people saw my planet I was being threatened or asked to exile. Not one glaxy gave me any kind of support at all.

This isnt an idea to FORCE new players on galaxies, more an idea to make it more worthwhile for GC's to keep new players. At the moment it is a good thing for a glaxy to exile new players, and it shouldnt be.
Unread 28 Nov 2007, 23:11   #6
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Most galaxies expect you to join IRC, which I'm assuming you didn't bother with?

As for looking from a new players perspective I meant quite a wide range of other things. The game doesn't give you any sort of tutorial or guide mode to get you started. The lack of a quick messaging system for the galaxy (a wall instead of a full forum). No easy way to get scans until you figure out how to ask the right person in IRC. I could go on and list problems, but someone responsible for the game should be looking at this on a regular basis.

There is no point forcing new players onto galaxies unless the game itself is improved.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2007, 15:47   #7
Delver
Ensign

Delver has a spectacular aura aboutDelver has a spectacular aura about

I had totally forgotten about quests!
That was great stuff for teaching new players the game.

I cannot comment on the other ideas, as i frankly didn't get it. What i could say, is that my galaxy has watched new planets which haven't been upgraded closely. Those who tries to interact (not only irc, mail or forums is ok as well), we have tried to push into alliances suited for new players. We have also upgraded a couple of players with spare credits.

The majority, however, has not made contact, and i don't feel bad for performing more than 20 exiles so far.
Unread 29 Nov 2007, 16:57   #8
Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delver

The majority, however, has not made contact, and i don't feel bad for performing more than 20 exiles so far.
Indeed. Most of the pa universe doesn't feel bad.

Its the whole 'kets just get rid of planets instead of trying to get them involved' attitude that is driving players away and ensuring pa gets closer to dying every single round.

Spinner would probably be ashamed of the attitudes seen today.
Unread 29 Nov 2007, 17:30   #9
Bbud2
Banned

Bbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really nice

kinda anoying if you run a galaxie average to have to spend your own ressource in paying inactive so you can send them away . maybe some option would be better since allaince and exiling can slow you down alot .

would agree whit galaxie theyr.

whit a nice allaince it dowsent matter .
But if you wish to achieve something, it get anoying delver
ike watching bwolf on 19 inch screen , not acl

if you attack and defend them only those hat scramble for specific player will.
on base that you send each fleet away twice a day
Bbud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2007, 19:31   #10
Membrivio
Leader of the Membrivians
Curveball Champion, Sober Santa 2 Champion

Membrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to behold

Forest, he also said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delver
I Those who tries to interact (not only irc, mail or forums is ok as well), we have tried to push into alliances suited for new players. We have also upgraded a couple of players with spare credits.
I did the same sort of thing last round when I was GC (not the upgrading part as I am a poor bugger lol). I also exiled people that did not communicate in any form although I requested them by ingame mails several times to do so.

So, what you read and react to is very selective. If people are asked to join IRC or to communicate via any other form and they donot respond at all I think you have decent reason to exile them. If you cannot talk to them, you cannot help them. Would you not agree?
R35/36: p3nguins
R37: Evolution
R48: ODDR
R49: CT
[KB] [Mercenaries] [p0ny]

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything. (J.W. Goethe)
Membrivio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2007, 19:53   #11
Forest

Yes.

But what you failed to read is that I am getting mails asking me to exile and some threatening me, with no other communication at all.

I have had 10 exiles. Only ONE, thats ONE gave any kind of advice or suggestions at all.

That equates to 90% of the universe acting in a way that is derogatory to the game, and the complete oppasite to how people on these forums claim to act.
Unread 29 Nov 2007, 20:12   #12
Membrivio
Leader of the Membrivians
Curveball Champion, Sober Santa 2 Champion

Membrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to beholdMembrivio is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I have had 10 exiles. Only ONE, thats ONE gave any kind of advice or suggestions at all.
That equates to 90% of the universe acting in a way that is derogatory to the game, and the complete oppasite to how people on these forums claim to act.
I agree that is really poor

I think that if something has to change (if I look at your example of 90% not being helpful), it should be the attitude of players. Maybe such a system as you have proposed may help, but it should be implemented to see whether it works. I like the general idea, and I am curious whether PA Team would take the step to implement it to see whether behaviour can be changed by such a system.
R35/36: p3nguins
R37: Evolution
R48: ODDR
R49: CT
[KB] [Mercenaries] [p0ny]

The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything. (J.W. Goethe)
Membrivio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Nov 2007, 20:20   #13
Forest

I think people need to take the idea and rip it apart so it can be put back together in a way that benefits pa and isnt abused before it can even be considered.
Unread 30 Nov 2007, 20:42   #14
booji
a bucket

booji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to beholdbooji is a splendid one to behold

hmm U presumably have not landed in my galaxy.

Although we dont give advice right off the bat we do send everyone no matter their size or whether they are in protection or not a message welcoming them to our galaxy and urging them to be active, preferably on IRC but if they dont wish too we at least ask them to post on the forums to give introductions etc. If they need advice they can ask anyone on the forums/reply to our messages.

we then wait at least 2 days for a reply, if not we warn them they will be exiled if we get no activity, followed a few days later by exiling.

We have managed to get two new players active on IRC which seems some sort of achievement.

However I cant see how you can expect a galaxy to keep someone in if then never reply at all or post on the forum.
surely it is interaction that is the core of the game, obviously this is a two way street, older more experienced players need to be patient and be free with advice. It is in both sides interest to get new players into the game and on IRC.

I cant really comment on Forest's suggestions but I will admit that I was somewhat lost returning to the game after four years, it would be helpful if there was some kind of tutorial. perhaps there could be a tutorial equivilent of the speedgame that takes you through the decisions U will have to make in the first 100 ticks or so. This would mean that the new player would know what he is doing as soon as he starts and can concentrate on meeting and getting to know his new galaxy mates... and working out IRC!
booji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2007, 00:22   #15
zebra
h3ll's angels

zebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to behold

Why would I want to 'play' with someone who doesn't show up on IRC? My automessage is "join #galchan or get exiled and die! if youre a noob and need help getting on irc mail me back (x.y.z)" As long as they try I don't mind teaching them how to play PA, but beyond that I cba. All round I've gotten one mail reply -- if they don't care why should I? Nobody will stay in this game for more than a round without IRC, it's just boring otherwise. Everyone in my galaxy is under my bashlimit for score and value except 3 buddypack members, and I'm in the bottom of the top100.
[18:04] * h3ll has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2007, 15:30   #16
Bbud2
Banned

Bbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really niceBbud2 is just really nice

you will probly delete this treard again , and take 10 round to get the portal working(as a first)

irc blow since most ppl idle , if you pay pa seriously you have a perfect round than ount miss judgment and than the pp grouping on you .

second , whit many player that got a group , they can whine to some hc and than group over smaller player instead of making what right and retaling on a attack on some of the leader.

so playing big arm here wont work since , you cannot(tough really hard ) wack ppl for being stupid .

rare are the active player tha dont join irc , since its a way to lose time , but thn again if he join irc he will eventualy sell you out , unless you ally im .

galaxy is under my bashlimit , time to exile , bp need get a good player , havent seen many around , usualy i score higher than hc until they trick me and sell oput my rank .

rule made to be broken ....... have fun enjoy , fair play will be nice , but that aint for yet . shouldnt take cathar low value fleet (for a perfect game) peacefull ppl should have theyr faster eta . round 21 whit a bs anti fi(kill)
best cathar i seen so far .
Unread 1 Dec 2007, 18:39   #17
Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra
Why would I want to 'play' with someone who doesn't show up on IRC? My automessage is "join #galchan or get exiled and die! if youre a noob and need help getting on irc mail me back (x.y.z)" As long as they try I don't mind teaching them how to play PA, but beyond that I cba. All round I've gotten one mail reply -- if they don't care why should I? Nobody will stay in this game for more than a round without IRC, it's just boring otherwise. Everyone in my galaxy is under my bashlimit for score and value except 3 buddypack members, and I'm in the bottom of the top100.
What a brilliant message. Imagine you are a new player in the game. You log on for the first time and get a message saying 'join galchan or get exiled and die' what part of that do you actually see as good? Thats awful. Its hostile and would certainly do nothing to convince a new player to stay.

Why should you care? Maybe you shouldn't, but as pa is losing players fast and needs to keep new players to survive, without caring you are doing your part to condemn pa to history.

There does come a point when the players have to stop blaming jolt, pateam, the stats etc etc and actually realise they need to take some personal responsibility in order to survive.
Unread 1 Dec 2007, 19:46   #18
Bbud2
Banned

There does come a point when the players have to stop blaming jolt, pateam, the stats etc etc and actually realise they need to take some personal responsibility in order to survive.

had to come from , but still that big crap , since if your galaxie arent able to defend you and are a average player you wont achieve a top 100 account ,
you can fid the reason why it so by reading other post i put on .

from being a old top 100 player(asn t finish a round since round 2-3 wich used to learn , and 4 that i joined half way. bring life bak to pa and player that will care to go on irc , will be if they come on channel and offer fleet they should find a given suitable target. defence and retal . or be able to have defence ship against a small retal or atack , to save you from pulling from a attack.
Unread 1 Dec 2007, 21:44   #19
Coltaine
7th Malazan Army

Coltaine has a spectacular aura aboutColtaine has a spectacular aura aboutColtaine has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbud2
had to come from , but still that big crap , since if your galaxie arent able to defend you and are a average player you wont achieve a top 100 account ,
you can fid the reason why it so by reading other post i put on .
I second that.
Coltaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2007, 22:10   #20
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Thats EXACTLY what I have done, and this thread is a direct result of that.

I did't interact to see if I would get any support or anything. I got none. Infact, as soon as people saw my planet I was being threatened or asked to exile. Not one glaxy gave me any kind of support at all.

This isnt an idea to FORCE new players on galaxies, more an idea to make it more worthwhile for GC's to keep new players. At the moment it is a good thing for a glaxy to exile new players, and it shouldnt be.
I'm not sure you were doing so tbh. From what I can gather from your post you were playing not so much in a new player way but the 'waste of time' way. No matter how much time you take to try and help some people you wont help them and its something can quickly put you off helping as you waste so much time on them. Players need to show some willingness otherwise its understandable that they are somewhat short shifted.

If however you did show some willingness to get involved then yes thats wrong, everyone started as a clueless newbie and we all received some help to learn the ropes and everyone should remember that and try and give as much help as we can to those who want it
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Dec 2007, 22:58   #21
Forest

Just to clarify for Wakey, I didnt make INITIAL contact. Once contact had been made by the gal (other than the spam you get automatically when you join the gal, what a rubbish idea that turned into) I did talk to them and explain what I was doing etc.

Hope that clears that up.
Unread 2 Dec 2007, 03:42   #22
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

So basically you "waited" for the automated mail?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 2 Dec 2007, 03:44   #23
Bbud2
Banned

auto mail come before you load the url

no wonder you can t understand , the meaning and the grammar of my language . '
Unread 2 Dec 2007, 09:53   #24
Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
So basically you "waited" for the automated mail?

No, I dont see who you got that idea from my post. I waited for some communication OTHER than the automated mail (which should be removed for next round anyway).
Unread 2 Dec 2007, 10:11   #25
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

The automated mail was meant to ensure that galaxies could easily contact new players even if, for example, ministers weren't around when the planet joined. Things like "introduce yourself on the forums" and "join the IRC channel" (which, having a quick look through the messages, most people have done) can be added here. Players are far more likely to check their mail (because of the fact it's red / highlighted) than click randomly on the forums and read through all the threads trying to find one for advice.

Also, there ARE still basic guides / terminology links in the signup mail.
Unread 2 Dec 2007, 10:40   #26
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

If a galaxy had a nice, simple, automated mail I don;t see what the issue is. If I got that mail a) I might not realsie it is automated and b) if it said to look at the forums or whatever I probabaly would.

That said, its still a but depressing that if people have ignored this the next message they get is "self exile plz"

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2007, 14:37   #27
Bbud2
Banned

sorry fo being direct , but as pa team guy

a) unles you rally cant understand english , it say automated message.
b) if your actually playing you might not read tutarial or manul more tha ship list but you should try evry link
c) after snding a mail to 10 new ppl in gal , you will be happy to have the automated msg , instead of making a post in overview like before....
Unread 2 Dec 2007, 15:30   #28
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Get Firefox
Install English

[16:10:34] <[lfc]stif|afk> "dont be the worst in your alliance, join CT. We have Arfy!"
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2007, 16:23   #29
Bbud2
Banned

that some nasty st , did the fire fox , i got problem whit the dicitonary , and ended up in some nasty uni blue.Fire fox is still a nice explorer , bu i doubt we will get along whit the dictionary .would lose half my reply

thanks

P.S. you kno if i register mirc32 if it take out all the coruption he put , vista canot fight , and he burned most my local_machine . aint got no window cd to repair it
Unread 2 Dec 2007, 17:18   #30
Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
The automated mail was meant to ensure that galaxies could easily contact new players even if, for example, ministers weren't around when the planet joined. Things like "introduce yourself on the forums" and "join the IRC channel" (which, having a quick look through the messages, most people have done) can be added here. Players are far more likely to check their mail (because of the fact it's red / highlighted) than click randomly on the forums and read through all the threads trying to find one for advice.

Also, there ARE still basic guides / terminology links in the signup mail.
I understand the reason for it, and to be quite honest I thought it was a brilliant idea.
However, seeing how it is used for myself, I now feel the opposite.

When people joined a galaxy, normally one of the ministers would drop them a mail, asking stuff such as where they are from, alliance, activity etc etc.

All that happens now is people set it to send an auto-message and it appears they feel they dont need to do anymore. Its lost any kind of personal touch and we all know how important that is to the game.

As for the links on the forum etc, for a free planet its unplayable. You have to go first through a long list of all the things a free planet cant do. Then you get a long MOTD concerning all sorts of crap. And when you finally get past that, you then get the message from the commander. How is a new player supposed to wade through that without losing interest?
Unread 3 Dec 2007, 01:31   #31
puss
ASS HC

puss is a jewel in the roughpuss is a jewel in the roughpuss is a jewel in the roughpuss is a jewel in the rough

Firstly,
"As for the links on the forum etc, for a free planet its unplayable. You have to go first through a long list of all the things a free planet cant do. Then you get a long MOTD concerning all sorts of crap. And when you finally get past that, you then get the message from the commander. How is a new player supposed to wade through that without losing interest?"

surely this is the overview you are tlking about, not the forums?

It's nice to see that people are thinking of noobs to pa and how we (the gamers) as a unit, or the pa team, can help them stay. However surely the main problem you saw was that some galaxies are quick to judge new free players and exile them.

At the end of the day if a noob lands in a galaxy that doesnt have the patience to help noobs i'd personally think it would be better for the exile process to be as fast as possible as with each new exile the new player has another chance to land in a galaxy containing players that can help.

Unfortunately i cannot see how any bonus system could be set up for galaxies accepting new players that couldnt be abused so i feel that the only way we can help noobs stay is to encourage players, thru our alliances and bgs to embrace new peeps to the game and have patience with them.
Unread 3 Dec 2007, 10:05   #32
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

I say remove exiles all together

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2007, 10:11   #33
Karo
~Evil Goddess Universe~

Karo is on a distinguished road

having not been playing this game along time ( a year next week)
I know what it is like to be threatened if I did not upgrade my account, or did not join irc or I would get kicked because I am a scanner.

no this game on most parts is NOT nice to the newb player nore is it nice to the scanners:P we get crapped on and told we are not needed, but yet when a scan is needed those same peeps who told you scanners are worthless are the ones who scream most for the scans..

now.. in my experience in the year I have been playing this game.

I do alot of gal hopping cause well I muss up my bp sign ups hehehehe wups! sorry for being absentminded hehe.
and in alot of those gals I have witnessed alot of unfairness,
" get upgraded or be exiled' is the most common message I see in overviews in any galaxy.
the other one is
'get on irc or get exiled'
now I happen to know that alot of peeps cant use irc.. I have always made it work out on msn or yahoo or ingame messaging.. I use to run alliances in other games and the populace is always adement on using irc.. but I managed to run a #3 alliance in one game with 3 of my best bcs running breaks and attacks on ingame pm or on msn .. and we did very well! chromatic dragon in one of my games was one of theee best break commanders I had ever had the oppertunity to have in an alliance...

communications with your galaxy goes both ways. you either help out the new member or at least try to, before you make a judgement on them, if they prove to NOT be a good benifit for the gal then by all means exile them! BUT at least make the effort!

if you really want to make something work and make a member feel welcome. then you will do it..

I have got into many fights with gcs over how they treat unupgraded peeps. I am some one who does not like to see unfairness.

NOW on the good side of the coin... I have also seen good communications in a galaxy. in one or two occations, I even had the MoD offer to help me out, till they found I am low on purpose heheh cause well I am a scanner.. my present gal they have the upgrade request but it is NOT followed by the or else threat.. they have a thread in the forums for the new player to try to help them out, they even try to communicate with the players who are new to the gal to try to make them welcome.. it is rare that we see this. but it is there there are accually galaxies that will go out of their way to help out the new player....

now.. most lf the gals I have hopped through did not have any help threads in the forums.. to me a help thread to a newb makes a hole lot of diference!

the structured thingy forest is talking about, is an interesting idea. BUT I have talked to the bosses about other ideas too on the exile speal.. in one game I am play.. you cant exile without just cause or your planet( empire) gets locked for a day, second offence 3 days 3rd effence your deleted.
a valid exile is inactivity, security risk( proven) to your galaxy
not valid exiles is scanners,newbs who are not upgraded or irc inactivity ( as again there are more then irc to communicat with)

the tiered method.. forest should elaberate a wee bit more on that one. as I am a bit confused on that as well as some one was in earlier post.

ok I am thinks I am done ofr now? it is waaay past my bedtime..

*beats up appcccomaster*:P who asked you to speak slave!?. *ducks tossed objects* hehehe

~Karo~

I am the most eveilest of goddesses!:P beware my wrath!
mowahahahahahahaa!!!!

did you believe me?
Karo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Dec 2007, 15:15   #34
Bbud2
Banned

i remember when my galaxies started defending my target , actually remember punch screen ,
runned a galaxies whit under 800 rank player .
exile could be done manually , or send ppl in galaxies according whit theyr score .

would agree whit father

caro you spied on me , to get a place whit some player .

. I am some one who does not like to see unfairness.
Poked your yeys out yet? :P

locking time and stuff.well theyr like 20 peeps in pa crew ,
you will exile if you trashed the galaxies , and cannot get defense. cant get defense because they aren't ally.
inactive wich should be dealed other way .
aint jolt saying a nice playing time or something like this .

help tread in old time we took by the hand and went near attacking whit them, now more and more old player come , make the game at 20(150 whit other game)box a years , 20 box for irc , 1.5k for the connection , 500 for a notebook to be able to play game on the more powerfull pc.

so when you come like that am like gzzzz , she been on the moon for the past time .( how you did , was nice wasnt it )

To have a nice round , you need prepare , many ppl those (not old one) so getting a inactive or above rank 300 . Can make you get a hitch
Unread 3 Dec 2007, 18:19   #35
Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by puss
Firstly,
"As for the links on the forum etc, for a free planet its unplayable. You have to go first through a long list of all the things a free planet cant do. Then you get a long MOTD concerning all sorts of crap. And when you finally get past that, you then get the message from the commander. How is a new player supposed to wade through that without losing interest?"

surely this is the overview you are tlking about, not the forums?.
Yup well spotted

Quote:
It's nice to see that people are thinking of noobs to pa and how we (the gamers) as a unit, or the pa team, can help them stay. However surely the main problem you saw was that some galaxies are quick to judge new free players and exile them.

At the end of the day if a noob lands in a galaxy that doesnt have the patience to help noobs i'd personally think it would be better for the exile process to be as fast as possible as with each new exile the new player has another chance to land in a galaxy containing players that can help..
If they get exiled quicker they do have a chnace of finding someone to help them. It could also get them demoralised even quicker by being kicked out repeatedly,

Quote:
Unfortunately i cannot see how any bonus system could be set up for galaxies accepting new players that couldnt be abused so i feel that the only way we can help noobs stay is to encourage players, thru our alliances and bgs to embrace new peeps to the game and have patience with them.
Unfortunetly its unlikely that alliances will do so :/
Which seems strange as the better galaxies are usually the ones who can use the exiles to the best ability.
Unread 3 Dec 2007, 21:13   #36
Karo
~Evil Goddess Universe~

bbud2 ; say what? what you mean by spied to get with a player? *is confused*

mowahahahahahahaa!!!!

did you believe me?
Unread 3 Dec 2007, 21:21   #37
Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karo
bbud2 ; say what? what you mean by spied to get with a player? *is confused*
the best thing to do is ignore his posts.
Unread 3 Dec 2007, 21:34   #38
Karo
~Evil Goddess Universe~

lol he seems ok he is not the i am in compatition with for taking over the universe mowahahahhaa! it is furball!

er wups? did I just reveal my eveil plot?:O

mowahahahahahahaa!!!!

did you believe me?
Unread 3 Dec 2007, 22:36   #39
Delver
Ensign

Delver has a spectacular aura aboutDelver has a spectacular aura about

This thread has developed in a strange way, considering as I stand out as one of the bad guys who do agressive exiling and Karo impersonates the victims of exiles, considering that sh got exile into our galaxy around tick 300 last round and stayed with us till the end.

I guess most of those still playing the game share the same goals, and the differences here are not large. Personally, I think that improving guidance through manual, quests and similar should have first priority.

You can lead people by the hand hrough the key parts of the manual, but not all. Further on, you cannot possibly teach people the key principles of the stats and the targetting through in-game mail. They have to have some interest and put in some effort themselves.

The number one mistake which is made by new planets signing up these days, is not to research HCT. Initiating roids is s easy, and tehy don't notice that they don't get income from them. I have had to adress this issue to several freebies in our gal. And take look at cluster 200, and you'll see my point. Even such basic thins are actually hard to pick up from the manual.

Regarding automated message, our galaxy has just skipped it this round. We message the newcomers in-game (in a friendly way), and take it from there. After all they canot be exiled out until 48 hours/end of protection, so there's plenty of time to prove yourself.
Unread 3 Dec 2007, 22:54   #40
Remy
Ex-Head Multihunter

Remy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud ofRemy has much to be proud of

Exile-system = bad by default.

No more words needed
R7-9: Had an account, but didnt play seriously
R09.5: []LCH[] Officer
R10.0: []LCH[] HC (Rank #9, #1 Gal)
R10.5-R18.0: []LCH[] HC Scanner!
R18.0-R33 : Multihunter, Head MH
R34-.. : [CT] HC
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Dec 2007, 14:17   #41
Bbud2
Banned

yea i am not in competion . because .......

dont see how caro against exile , since no player can achieve ( as easily) greatness , unless he can bring wind strong enough to take down a wall .

(seen ya spied in old old old time karo(gay spying no hard feeling
)(forest get something usefull to do other than roting ppl mind around you g)
Unread 4 Dec 2007, 14:32   #42
Karo
~Evil Goddess Universe~

bbud2 dahlang, what old old time? as I mentioned earlier. I have only been playing this game for a year so there is no old old time.lol I am still a green horn. and why spy? you dont gain anything. I am a scanner if that is what you mean.. and sorrrrry for being a scanner and trying to make sure my alliance/galaxy gets defence.. if your one of the ones who dont believe in scanners.. then all scanners should NOT do scans for you when you ask for them see how long you last trying to figure out what you got incoming on you

mowahahahahahahaa!!!!

did you believe me?
Unread 5 Dec 2007, 04:53   #43
Bbud2
Banned

they dont do it , i tryed be a scanner wasnt good , got nearly 1k roid after the first week , aint getting that many friend anymore.

still , been taugh to flee and save the ship when you unsure .

were you not you the scanner of 5th element ,when i went into vacation last summer?
zZzzzZZ

i guess theyr a few time that exile is not for inactive . but nice to have it as a option
i think its nice

nice trick to get more pplz , try to show the start of next round .
played ****** and tribal war seriously so far becaus ei put my hand on round begining( didnt last on abderus )
Unread 5 Dec 2007, 09:53   #44
Karo
~Evil Goddess Universe~

*points to her siggie* what does it say? I have always been with vgn cept for that week with prehistoric monkeys ( they disbanned*cries* ) and then that 3 days with ascendancy and did not like the insults and the meanness of them so left. then bugged cr0 for a week to take me into vgn cause a few peeps who was in my gal was vgn and 2 friends who was my co commanders to an alliance I ran in another game was also vgn so they also conned me to check out vgn I got into vgn and :/ my first 2 weeks was in hospital.lol how to make an impression on your alliance? beat( not really ) up the bosses, fight with 2 of the main bosses and then end up in hopsital for 2 week! YAY!.lol so my PA career at start was NOT a very solid one.

guess you can say:P being exiled was already starting to pizz me off at the start cause it is not my fault I had a hot water ( 600 pounds worth) fall on me and bursted some insides of me. but what can I say! if I had not of given my word to vgn I would of left pa before I had the chance to meet decent peeps in pa. because I was constantly exiled, no one took the effort to find out why I was not doing this or that or so on. hospital comps only allow you 15 mins at a time and..... there is no irc on them my first year in pa period was in and out of clinics so far*knocks on wood* I have not gone off island on another lame medical trip since may! so the start of this round I did not miss the first week.. YAY!.
but I still got booted from my first gal after shuffle because I was a scanner. nice to see that gal is no longer a good strong gal never pizz of the karo! she gets back at you! I may of been with the game a short time but I do have connections in strange places :evil:

ok I am rambling again. sorry past my bedtime again.lol

but no bbud2 only been playing this game since december of last year and 98% of that was with vgn.

mowahahahahahahaa!!!!

did you believe me?
Unread 5 Dec 2007, 14:50   #45
Bbud2
Banned

chronox said same thing . but then again i guess karo is a common name.

i attacked and roided lokken galaxie once .

you can call me Bud if you wish , forgoted pw (some peeps had gotten my mail and changed my pw , awfull lost all nick)
Unread 5 Dec 2007, 16:29   #46
Karo
~Evil Goddess Universe~

*shrugs* on the net it is pretty popular
chrono does not only well ok when he was running PM he was playing a couple other games.. he and BlackWidow are the ones who conned me into playing PA. BlackWidow and I go back long time in SF.

and it is not the first time I was mistaken for someone else so no worries.

mowahahahahahahaa!!!!

did you believe me?
Unread 7 Dec 2007, 00:48   #47
Bbud2
Banned

hmm blackwidow , would be a name that am ot really familar .
ya better not be ree or splarg
Unread 7 Dec 2007, 01:37   #48
Bbud2
Banned

they aint even awnsering in channel , and they asked ppl to join , and no1 is only at 5 am fffsss , so much for irc activity
Unread 10 Dec 2007, 22:34   #49
DarkHeart

DarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really nice

Forests round, the truth the whole truth, and nothing but the truth

disclaimer: quotes rearranged at editorial discretion to make more sense

Quote:
I did't interact to see if I would get any support or anything. I got none.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
If however you did show some willingness to get involved then yes thats wrong
Quote:
Just to clarify for Wakey, I didnt make INITIAL contact.
Quote:
I waited for some communication OTHER than the automated mail (which should be removed for next round anyway).
Quote:
Infact, as soon as people saw my planet I was being threatened or asked to exile. Not one glaxy gave me any kind of support at all.
Quote:
Once contact had been made by the gal (other than the spam you get automatically when you join the gal, what a rubbish idea that turned into) I did talk to them and explain what I was doing etc.
Quote:

ahhhhh thats better, the full story and not half truths (see bold above) and extrapolations
<3 forest you usually make half decent posts, but just wanted to see the full story in what you did this round so i could understand better.

kk ignoring Forests little white lies and dramatized recreations of actual events couple of things id like to add

1) Once you have explained what you were doing...which according to your story you did in every single galaxy, right after the message every single galaxy sent to you telling you to self exile...according to your story....then why should the galaxy offer you any support or assistance once they know what you were up to? It's clear your not some nub needing guidance from your explanation you gave every single galaxy...

or are we still missing another part of your story that you would like to clarify?

2) You weren't on IRC so you do not know what has been discussed. 90% of the universe is not toobing noobs. The majority of ministers are making decisions that are best for their galaxies (this does not equate to 90% fo the universe..e.ven if you go so far as to say 90% of ministers then you are still probably wrong...see the following words). As they should do. Personally the gal im in has pretty much been a 3/1 or 2/2 split on toobing noobs....though the arguement has always been on when that noob shows no intention of playing for the good of the gal. But said noob wouldnt know of these discussions since said noob didnt bother his ass to get onto irc, trying to play the game properly, or bother himself with helping the gal.

Now now flaming over! they were ickle flames, not meant with any harm or foul play! (plz be gentle with me!)

Your idea is fairly decent in it's logic, but it is really complicating matters. That said, it won't be or shouldn't be the noobs running gals, so it should be able to work. I just don't see what is wrong with the current exile system. Sure it encourages gals to get rid of weaker players (we personally exiled a lot of nubs who didnt communicate, had a ridiculous amount of asteroids, ornewer guys who had made it to irc and been with us a while, but who consistently crashed fleet). But the exile system is not the root of this problem! the leaderboard system is the root of this problem. We all want to do well, so why should any of us carry a burden that refuses to improve themselves.

sum1 said communication is a two way thing, not only that but help is a two way thing. U have to be willing to receive help, or all the goddamned help in the world wont make a difference. And im sorry but that crap about losing interest in the manual....the free player limitations....the message from commander.......only clarifies the point to me that some ppl just don't want to be helped!

the one thing that bugs me is that this is a multi lingual world yet a single language game. I might mail sum nub in my gal and get no response so I see to it that he gets exiled, yet unbeknownst to me this guy is chinese who aint got a clue what any of the words i've used in my post mean!. I'd like to see some niftly little

***>>>>>read below for suggestion if ur flicking through this long ass post<<<<<***

flag feature, showing a planets nationality on the galaxy screen, right by his ruler name. Each flag ofc should only be viewable by the gal mates of the planet so this guy dont get bashed whilst hes sleeping

***>>>>>end of suggestion keep on scrolling if you have the attention span of an ADD sufferer and dont read long posts<<<<<***

so yah, a fairly decent idea forest, but I feel (and its just personal opinion so dont get ya knickers in a twist) that whilst you are bringing up valid points about the community etc, you chose a very bad way to prove that point, and the idea as whole that you have put forth is too radical a change. Lets remember as much as this game wants to bring in and retain new players, it would like old faces to return to!
DarkHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 2007, 23:06   #50
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Why would my nationality concern anyone? Are you racist?