User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 20 Sep 2007, 12:02   #1
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future
Alternative CAPTCHA

I'm absolutely fed up of being asked to solve maths problems to login to a game. I can understand that there is a need to stop bots but it really does get tedious.

A fairly new CAPTCHA system called reCAPTCHA has been made available. It's a 3rd party system which allows you to protect your site with a CAPTCHA, but without having to host the thing yourself. It requires a certain amount of code to support the authorisation, but it's probably fairly easy.

Any chance of supporting something slightly easier like this? I'd much rather type two words instead of having to solve yet another 78+59 question. You could keep the existing CAPTCHA system inplace as an alternative incase this one goes down temporarily.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2007, 18:24   #2
Gary
xVx Peon

Gary is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Alternative CAPTCHA

Start -> All programs -> Accessories -> Calculator

But yes, the questions can be annoying first thing in the morning when I haven't really woken up yet
Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2007, 10:41   #3
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The original point of the PA CAPTCHA was that even if the it could be read via OCR it couldnt be answered by a bot as the questions required a certain level of logic to be answered.

Somehow though we have ended up moving away from that to using sums, something which if it is OCR'd can easierly be solved by a bot while being failry annoying for real people.

I would much rather go back to the logic questions that couldnt be answered by a bot without the bot writer knowing all the questions and answers and having them their for the bot to call on but if we are going to stay with these none logic questions then we may as well move to a copy this word/ sequence of letters method than the annoying maths ones
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Oct 2009, 16:35   #4
Lοki
God of Fire and Mischief

Lοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the rough

I figured there were enough topics about the captcha so I'll bump an old one instead of making a new thread.

Any captcha can be cracked - be it through OCR or a big database. One could neglect the lines, do segmentation, recognize the words/numbers and solve the question. The harder the captcha is, the harder it is to write a bot that solves it. 'Hard' does not mean hard for a human, but hard for a computer. Math is hard for humans - or at least a hassle. Yet nothing is easier for a bot than to solve a math question.

What is hard for a computer is turning the picture into text. The part us humans are pretty good at. The way the current pa images are distorted will stop most average bots but a determined coder could definately break it. Recaptcha is a lot harder simply because the distortion is heavier and randomized.

My message - the current captcha is not very secure yet very annoying for the users. Recaptcha is safer, easier for humans to solve and it takes very little time to implement.
Lοki is offline   Reply With Quote