User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 9 May 2008, 16:18   #1
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future
Lame/dead DNS

Any chance of fixing this instead of having a broken configuration by an admin who obviously doesn't have a clue about DNS?

195.149.21.29 - Works, but went down
195.149.21.26 - Is dead
195.149.21.23 - Is lame

So when the only working server died the entire DNS for planetarion.com was rendered useless, even though the game server which is also supposed to host DNS was up for the entire duration.

Please get this fixed instead of ignoring it until the same thing happens again in the future.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2008, 18:01   #2
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Lame/dead DNS

What is "lame" in this context?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2008, 18:20   #3
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
What is "lame" in this context?
When a nameserver is listed as having authoritative data but instead it's acting as a cache server.

So 195.149.21.23 keeps asking 195.149.21.29 for DNS data and then passes it onto clients, instead of 195.149.21.23 being configured as a slave. Anything more than 10 minutes of downtime for 195.149.21.29 will cause the entire thing to fail when it should never happen.
Unread 9 May 2008, 20:19   #4
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about

Lol. Sounds like they have missed the whole point why there has to be a secondary dns server
Unread 13 May 2008, 22:55   #5
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

I'm gonna guess someone doesn't know how the 129 server is configured for DNS or something (iirc, thats the machine I set up when i was last around) so have had to resort to hacking to get it working

But yes, your right, its not hard to configure correctly.

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 May 2008, 23:29   #6
GReaper
The BOFH

Looks like some stuff has been changed around, but it's still broken.
Unread 23 May 2008, 01:44   #7
GReaper
The BOFH

Any plans on fixing this? I think the NetGamers ****up shows what happens if you don't sort things like this out.