User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 16 Jan 2008, 07:56   #1
KalEl

KalEl is on a distinguished road
PA spinoff for Facebook?

Seems like an untapped user base seen as a simple tick based game like triumph has nearly 40k users. Discuss.
KalEl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2008, 10:50   #2
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute
Re: PA spinoff for Facebook?

I've been tempted to try and port my PA spin off to PA for a while, but I think theres a couple already on there (I think WarBook is one).
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2008, 12:03   #3
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Hasn't this been discussed before?
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2008, 14:03   #4
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

no it hasn't

this idea is for having PA actually being played FROM facebook, where as the old idea was PA stats in facebook
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2008, 14:21   #5
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Sorry, should be this thread, the original poster didn't include "Facebook" in the title. It has been discussed before!

Whilst I agree that there is plenty of huge potential for Facebook games, I don't think Planetarion is quite right for it. The game needs to be addictive enough to keep people coming back, at times Planetarion can be quite slow and all the action is at the wrong time - would Facebook users tolerate having to wake up at night to play such a game? Planetarion is usually very boring during the day as everyone attacks at night.

If you think that you've got a great idea for a game or if you can adapt an existing game of yours to be friendly enough to Facebook users then go for it.
Unread 16 Jan 2008, 16:07   #6
Tesla
Custom User Title

Tesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper
Sorry, should be this thread, the original poster didn't include "Facebook" in the title. It has been discussed before!

Whilst I agree that there is plenty of huge potential for Facebook games, I don't think Planetarion is quite right for it. The game needs to be addictive enough to keep people coming back, at times Planetarion can be quite slow and all the action is at the wrong time - would Facebook users tolerate having to wake up at night to play such a game? Planetarion is usually very boring during the day as everyone attacks at night.

If you think that you've got a great idea for a game or if you can adapt an existing game of yours to be friendly enough to Facebook users then go for it.
Not to say that ur wrong in assuming that pa has no future in facebook; but to use "attacking at night" as an argument is quite wrong.
Prelaunch anyone? ...
Unread 16 Jan 2008, 16:33   #7
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

he means that all the action occurs at night and not at 6pm when most people are on facebook.
Unread 16 Jan 2008, 17:07   #8
Tesla
Custom User Title

Tesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to allTesla is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kila_
he means that all the action occurs at night and not at 6pm when most people are on facebook.
Also not a valid argument. Lets say that 40k facebook ppl that are online at 6pm starts playing pa (far fetched I know), then the action will be at 6pm when THEY are online and not at night. Why? that leaves only the 1500 current odd on at nighttime (+ some of the new ones will naturally adapt to the situation).. Whose to say that pa cant be a daygame? Dont forget that alot of ppl (most?) during the early years only played pa at daytime..
Unread 16 Jan 2008, 19:10   #9
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Going on responses from people here who use facebook I doubt it would be successful.

Its apparently cool to signup to facebook no matter how lame social networks and even more cool to parade the fact around but advertising the fact you have signed upto an online game is apparently sad and certainly not something people want to advertise
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2008, 19:29   #10
GReaper
The BOFH

You give them the option to prelaunch and look what happens, the action is when the majority of them are logged out and asleep!

Do you seriously consider the complexity of the game to be suitable for Facebook? Getting started with the right research, constructions, building a fleet, getting scans to pick a target, attacking your target, more scans, use a battle calculator. The learning curve is far too high for a Facebook application with mostly casual users.

Online games can be cool though, but I don't think Planetarion would be described as one.
Unread 16 Jan 2008, 19:53   #11
Tesla
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper
You give them the option to prelaunch and look what happens, the action is when the majority of them are logged out and asleep!

Do you seriously consider the complexity of the game to be suitable for Facebook? Getting started with the right research, constructions, building a fleet, getting scans to pick a target, attacking your target, more scans, use a battle calculator. The learning curve is far too high for a Facebook application with mostly casual users.

Online games can be cool though, but I don't think Planetarion would be described as one.
As I said: If the majority of the players was facebook ppl that played pa daytime then the action would be at..:shock horror:..DAYTIME.. dude its not rocket science.
And excuse me.. Complexity?! Last round when I was about to win (until I went idle and got owned by HA (haha).. I still ended top 30 or someshit tho) I played the game without using bcalc, without staying up at night (I only prelaunched), without scanning targs (I guesstimated ppls fleet and attacked by their race)..
All in all my prelaunch sequence took a whopping 2 minutes TOTAL daily, aka something "Joe Bloggs" could easily do. As for the learning curve a good public start up plan/manual or quests could easily solve that problem. Yes chances are the playerbase would become more "unleet", but id rather play a game with 40k players that are semiactive than 1,5k that are uberactive.

Wakey MIGHT have a good point though, chances are alot people wouldnt like to advertise the fact that they play "geeky onlinegames" to their friends and chicks at their school and what not. Then again people might not care, its hard to tell for sure..
Unread 16 Jan 2008, 20:31   #12
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla
As I said: If the majority of the players was facebook ppl that played pa daytime then the action would be at..:shock horror:..DAYTIME.. dude its not rocket science.
And excuse me.. Complexity?! Last round when I was about to win (until I went idle and got owned by HA (haha).. I still ended top 30 or someshit tho) I played the game without using bcalc, without staying up at night (I only prelaunched), without scanning targs (I guesstimated ppls fleet and attacked by their race)..
All in all my prelaunch sequence took a whopping 2 minutes TOTAL daily, aka something "Joe Bloggs" could easily do. As for the learning curve a good public start up plan/manual or quests could easily solve that problem. Yes chances are the playerbase would become more "unleet", but id rather play a game with 40k players that are semiactive than 1,5k that are uberactive.

Wakey MIGHT have a good point though, chances are alot people wouldnt like to advertise the fact that they play "geeky onlinegames" to their friends and chicks at their school and what not. Then again people might not care, its hard to tell for sure..
The difference is u have played the game before, it would be new for them facebook users. So learning the game and waiting thrue every slow step, wont happen without some community preasure and entertaiment in between the ticks. So they would soon adapt our ways of gaming, expesially if our methods are more efective or simply quit playing before they even get started. The game doesnt look that interesting by the first look of it. Also u didnt prolly achieve your rank playing solo, so there were some "leet" people covering your night times and such Alltho ranks can be achieved here by solo play also, just be friends with your gal.

But more publicity is good choise so worth a shot.
Unread 16 Jan 2008, 20:36   #13
Tesla
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave
The difference is u have played the game before, it would be new for them facebook users.
Remember we were once new-beginners ourselves. Something made us stick around, and I dont see why its not possible that something will make them stick around too.
As we speak s tarsphere (I guess the word is still banned) is being ported to facebook. SS is not an easier game than pa..
And as u say; its worth a shot.

ps. I dont even play pa anymore, I just think this sounds like a good idea.
Unread 16 Jan 2008, 21:01   #14
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

s tarsphere is a dead game tho, so it wasnt saved by the facebook atleast. Unless there is another game called SS. I sitkced here cause someone had patience to guide me thrue and take me to their cover. The game looked simply booring by the first looks tho. Anyway you have a point there.
Unread 16 Jan 2008, 21:10   #15
Tesla
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ave
s tarsphere is a dead game tho, so it wasnt saved by the facebook atleast.
Its in the process of being ported, not actually ported yet... so it remains to be seen
Unread 16 Jan 2008, 22:08   #16
Ave

well there is no one to finish it, or actually get a game up, so I wouldnt count on it that much. Besides SS was ruined by a group of PA players, community wise. It never were a good game really, way too slow.
Unread 22 Jan 2008, 12:04   #17
GReaper
The BOFH

Anyway, regardless of how bad I think it is... I'd guess it's fairly viable to do.

A Facebook application can be as simple as a big fat IFRAME inside Facebook. You'd have to code some support for Facebook logins, redesign the UI to accommodate the smaller pages, and possibly a few other things.

However it would still need marketing and plenty of effort to get people to use it. Just because it's a Facebook app doesn't make it an instant success.
Unread 25 Jan 2008, 17:24   #18
Machado
Seraphim

Machado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the rough

If anything it would in any case increase the name familiarity and the recognition of the game, which could lead to new users. I don't expect maybe to actually play the game seriously, their gal will just get bashed bigtime by an ally and they will quit, but some might make it through.

If you get 100 new solid players then its already a success, if you ask me.
Machado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Apr 2008, 16:33   #19
Duncan
saint-ciboire de tabarnac

Duncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud ofDuncan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla
let's see, you had access to a list of hidden agenda targets and used them as easy roids for a large portion of your round. as a xan there was a option for you to blindly attack certain races w/o even scanning them that round. not only this, you were in the #1 gal which dominated r24. your experience is the polar opposite of some random new person with your knowledge, community connections and being in such a galaxy.
Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Apr 2008, 18:26   #20
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I think this idea is worth a shot.

Shorten protection, add more quests and restructure the scan techtree as already discussed. Even a hundred new active players would be worth it IMO. Make it an application as a game, rather than an externalised feature and the 'cool' issue isn't quite as large. See WarBook usercount.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2008, 03:46   #21
LordNieminen
Finn.. who's drunk.

LordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of lightLordNieminen is a glorious beacon of light

Facebook is addictive if u try to handle it actively.. takes 2-3h's a day.. anyways facebook is evil... There's my drunken commands..going to go and sober up now.. and hoping that I wake up when my att's land.
r9.5: Top60(small playerbase=easy)
Few won R's in PIA, r26 top15 First/Last Pax round.
[OLMIT] / [TreKronor]
10 lines max for signature I heard.. so
LordNieminen is offline   Reply With Quote