User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 10 Nov 2007, 13:04   #1
Pilatus

Pilatus has a spectacular aura aboutPilatus has a spectacular aura about
More info on pa is down message

Could we get more info on the message we get when pa is down. Today some ppl lost their ships, cause they didn't know what were happening.

Could we get like info atleast about what happens to fleets when we try to login? Also a counter about how long till pa is up wouldn't hurt, if it's possible
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 13:55   #2
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: More info on pa is down message

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatus
Could we get more info on the message we get when pa is down. Today some ppl lost their ships, cause they didn't know what were happening.

Could we get like info atleast about what happens to fleets when we try to login? Also a counter about how long till pa is up wouldn't hurt, if it's possible
How did anyone lose ships due to the down message. It did after all contain all the information that was needed. It stated that the issues happened at 7am and the game was rolled back to the 6:30am backup with the game being accessible again at 6am. If people lost ships then frankly it was their own fault not the messages fault.
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 14:23   #3
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

Not necessarily.

People may have launched attacks knowing that they could get online on Friday to recall if necessary. Some of these may not have been able to get online on Saturday.

Equally, some people may have recalled just before the rollback to avoid massive defence and not been able to log in since. I suspect they wouldn't be too happy either.

Any closure of the game without a total fleet recall is potentially damaging for some players - and even a total fleet recall could fail to cover all eventualities (such as people having just gone into vacation mode).
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 14:24   #4
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Those people could have mailed Appoco and ask him to recall one or more of their fleets.

You might want to try actually reading announcements (both ingame and on the forums) before whining.

On a sidenote, if all fleets are recalled, undefended eta4 fleets will not get the roids they would in other cases. So you're wrong.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 14:35   #5
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

I'm sorry - I just re-read my post and I can't see where I suggested that players wouldn't also suffer from a rollback. Still, your conclusion that I'm wrong is clearly justified - thanks for that.

Neither is any part of my post "whining". This is a word which I see bandied about on these forums far too often - usually without justification.

Finally, *very* few players would actually consider mailing Appoco about anything - let alone just to "whine" about the results of a rollback. That's what the forums are for.

Now, if you'd like to take your own advice about actually reading posts, you'll see that I wasn't criticising the rollback or the messages about it - I was simply disputing Wakey's statement that any resulting losses must be the "fault" of the players.
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 15:09   #6
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk
Those people could have mailed Appoco and ask him to recall one or more of their fleets.

You might want to try actually reading announcements (both ingame and on the forums) before whining.
I'd like to ask you where you got the information that people could mail Appoco to get their lost ships back. And I'd also like to know how the statement on the forums and ingame could have helped for players that got an early jpscan to see that they were through on friday morning, before leaving for the weekend etc could have been informed that there would be a full recall etc.

There is no excuse for not following the downtime procedure the way I see it.
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 15:25   #7
eksero
What-A-Shot Champion

eksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud ofeksero has much to be proud of

He said they could have mailed him asking to recall their fleets, not get their lost ships back.
eksero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 15:28   #8
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksero
He said they could have mailed him asking to recall their fleets, not get their lost ships back.
And again, where did he say this, such a statement needs to reach everyone, just not a single few in an irc channel
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 16:15   #9
Ceadrath

Ceadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to allCeadrath is a name known to all

it was on the login redirect page, and anyone who 'leaves for the weekend' runs the risk of their ships dieing when their away anyway.

-Cead
Ceadrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 16:24   #10
Cincinnatus
PA Team

Cincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud ofCincinnatus has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
And again, where did he say this, such a statement needs to reach everyone, just not a single few in an irc channel
it was in the closed message, the message anyone would get when trying to log in:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closed Message
The game will be closed from 7:00 GMT Friday until 6:00 GMT Saturday. with ticks starting at 7:00 GMT. A roll back to tick 155 @ 6.30 GMT has occured. No fleets have been recalled. This is because of an error with the ticker at 7:00 GMT. Sorry for all problems caused.
Note: if you will not be around and wish to have your fleet recalled, please contact Appocomaster via IRC, forum PM or [email protected].

PA Team
MultiHunter Team -#multihunters
Cincinnatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 16:36   #11
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
And I'd also like to know how the statement on the forums and ingame could have helped for players that got an early jpscan to see that they were through on friday morning, before leaving for the weekend etc could have been informed that there would be a full recall etc.
I assume that by "through", you mean "undefended and eta4 or less". Then there would be no problem, because nothing changed. They'd still be eta4 or less, and still be undefended, regardless of how long the game would be on hold.

Quote:
There is no excuse for not following the downtime procedure the way I see it.
Agreed.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 16:42   #12
zebra
h3ll's angels

zebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to beholdzebra is a splendid one to behold

I was thinking last night also that the java clock or a countdown timer would be useful on the 'PA is down right now' page.
[18:04] * h3ll has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 22:26   #13
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnatus
it was in the closed message, the message anyone would get when trying to log in:
It was not till later that piece got added, then already several people had gone offline. The initial offline message just said that it was gonna be down.

Do you expect everyone to hit the refresh button to see if there has been changes in an announcement when they know it will be down till the next day?

The possibility also exists, through the availability of a voluntary recall. I.E My fleet is six ticks from home, I have eta 3 incoming, I can get my fleet recalled, and def it, which the attacker may not be aware of.

Recall MUST be an all or nothing situation.
Unread 10 Nov 2007, 23:19   #14
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Considering the amount of times Planetarion goes down for various reasons, I'd say the addition of a limited game mode needs to be added.

Something where you can login to recall fleets. No new defence or attacking fleets allowed. No viewing of the galaxy defence page, and possibly no viewing incoming fleets for your own planet if you really want to be strict about it. Just something to stop your attacks in the event that you won't be able to check on your fleets once the game restarts.

The fact is the game is highly likely to go down at least once during a round and people are getting fed up regarding what to expect. If you offer players limited control to recall their fleets they've got the opportunity to sit back and relax when the game restarts and try again another day.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Nov 2007, 15:49   #15
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
The possibility also exists, through the availability of a voluntary recall. I.E My fleet is six ticks from home, I have eta 3 incoming, I can get my fleet recalled, and def it, which the attacker may not be aware of.
Would your fleet not still be 6 ticks from home?