User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 15 May 2007, 11:23   #1
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Keep the Aspidistra Flying

Last night (after being inspired by George Orwell) I decided to send some of my writings off to some literary magazines. I was feeling really optimistic and my creative juices were flowing.

this morning I had recieved an e-mail saying they would like to use my work on-line (which wasn't going to be published in the magazine, but it's a start) and I was rather happy. I also sceptical. It said that it would take upto six weeks.

I was aware that if they took six weeks to reply then they wouldn't want to use it, but one day seemed a bit sudden. But hey, maybe I'm that good.

I had to go to the job centre so I delayed sending an e-mail to make sure they were serious. After (another) disasterous experiance there I returned home to compose said e-mail. I had new mail.

It was entitled 'mistake.' this did not seem to me to be a positive step forward. I was bracing myself but all morning I was unable to see this as anything other than some kind of step forward so I was not fully prepared for the contents of this so-called 'mistake'.

Basically, it said

Sorry Graig*, I sent you an acceptance mail, but I have looked at your work carefully and find it does not fit what I have in mind for PNG. In the main I like what your write, please keep in touch.

Best,
Pasquale

Needless to say what was keeping my day from turning into an absolute myriad** of dispair was instantly wiped from beneath my feet and the literary feeling I had on the bus home has come crashing to the ground and my 5-a-day plan for writing seems to have come to an abrupt halt before it even began.

So what's your most recent disappointment?

*yes, the bastards couldn't even spell my name correctly
** sup horn
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2007, 12:05   #2
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Keep the Aspidistra Flying

My friend told me I should write a couple more short stories and neaten up the ones I have written so he could send them off to a publisher contact he knew on my behalf.

I was like "yeah maybe".

So at least you tried and aren't a lazy little sod like me.

One rejection doesn't mean you've failed. It just means you've got more obstacles than you'd expected. Cue "nothing in life is easy" quotes.
Unread 15 May 2007, 12:27   #3
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Ask them why you were rejected and tell them to be brutally honest.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2007, 12:55   #4
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Jesus, these creative types are rather unorganised aren't they?

Quote:
Once again, sorry. The message below is the message that should have been sent the first time. I'm working on the next issue and confused another "Craig" with you. In any case...

...I have your submission, and a response is in the works. If you
haven't received an answer within four weeks, feel free to mail
with a nudge.

Thanks and best,
Pasquale Capocasa
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 15 May 2007, 15:10   #5
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

He's quite clearly doped up on amphetamines. There really is no other explanation. Either that or he's a blinking idiot.
Unread 15 May 2007, 15:26   #6
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i would go with the blithering idiot judgement.

how big is this magazine? is it a one man job thats getting too big for one man to run, or is he just not very organised at all?
Unread 15 May 2007, 15:28   #7
All Systems Go

I've no idea. It was one of the first ones I found. I've no idea what I'm doing really. It is all rather random.

It could easily go either way I suppose, those I'm not really the person to ask.
Unread 15 May 2007, 20:26   #8
You Are Gay

You Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
So what's your most recent disappointment?
The standard of english in your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Needless to say what was keeping my day from turning into an absolute myriad** of dispair was instantly wiped from beneath my feet and the literary feeling I had on the bus home has come crashing to the ground and my 5-a-day plan for writing seems to have come to an abrupt halt before it even began.
(1.) Myriad is used wrongly.
(2.) A 57 odd word sentence with no commas.
(3.) Your dispair was wiped from beneath your feet
(4.) Your feeling came crashing to the ground
(5.) Your plan came to a halt before it even began.
(6.) 3 - 5 would be bad enough if they were all included in one story but the fact that they're IN THE SAME SENTENCE just compounds their shitness.

I'm writing this because editors wont take the time to bother to tell you why you're a bad writer (why should they bother?).

To get better at writing i would suggest writing more. Also try being original.

Thank you and goodbye.
You Are Gay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2007, 20:30   #9
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Are Gay
(1.) Myriad is used wrongly.
irony rocks
Unread 15 May 2007, 20:41   #10
You Are Gay

You Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet societyYou Are Gay is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
irony rocks

Do feel free to explain.
Unread 15 May 2007, 22:38   #11
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
He's quite clearly doped up on amphetamines.
Speaking in defence of junkies everywhere, I don't think we can assume this.

Anyway, I would imagine most people who write for a hobby have been told at one point or another that they should try to get something published. I sometimes get it from fat girls in nightclubs if (inexplicably) they've read my journal. One assumes they are being kind.

If I was going to start now I'd assume a rejection rate of 99.99% - that being made up 80% no response, 19% rejection and 1% abuse/death threads. Hoping for anything better is inviting disappointment.

In my case though it's irrelevant because while I might have thick enough skin, I lack the discipline (talent is clearly not a factor given the output of most media). It'll wait to my prison diaries I suppose.

If you want encouragement though - there's some shitty (probably untrue) anecdote that the creator of KFC's "secret recipe" went to over two thousand restaurants before one agreed to licence his creation (i.e. sharing the proceeds of every sale). And now that particular product is a global success even listing Nodrog as a former employee. Who else can say that?

So I guess the message is - never give up hope - you could one day employee an internet legend.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 May 2007, 22:50   #12
Tomkat

On a side note, if you've written stuff then why haven't you ever posted any of it here
Unread 15 May 2007, 22:54   #13
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
On a side note, if you've written stuff then why haven't you ever posted any of it here
Presumably ASG wants his test audience to be people collectively less harsh than us.

Also, he might care about our opinion of him. If I wrote a screenplay I'd want some shit people's opinion first before I exposed it to people I had a modicum of respect for.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 May 2007, 04:51   #14
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Do feel free to explain.
Perhaps "Myriad is used incorrectly" would be preferable.
Unread 16 May 2007, 17:41   #15
You Are Gay

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
Perhaps "Myriad is used incorrectly" would be preferable.
Perhaps you* and Yahwe could **** off!

*see 4 and substitue "hold a golf club" for "use a word"
Unread 17 May 2007, 07:39   #16
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Perhaps you* and Yahwe could **** off!

*see 4 and substitue "hold a golf club" for "use a word"
heh.

you're funny
Unread 19 May 2007, 23:00   #17
dda-II

dda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud ofdda-II has much to be proud of

Quote:
Perhaps you and Yahwe could **** off!
Must suck to be you.

Also, I think you mispelled ****.
dda-II is offline   Reply With Quote