User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Administration > Planetarion Help Desk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 15 Sep 2003, 17:34   #1
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
Time for Research...

Fr-research is 48 ticks.
As Xan, i need to add 10%, which is 53 (rounding up all the way through...)
I have Res set to Eng-#1, so take 15%, which is 46.
I have 7 constructions, 2 of which are res-labs, so take another 20%, giving 37.
I just started the res this tick, and its taking 38 ticks.
If anyone suggests rounding i will shoot them, as doing it as one calculation gives 35.9.
Doing it (with rounding at each step) in different ways, gives various other numbers, all lower than 38.

Another thought i had was that the %ages are done as one, so 100+10-20-15=75%, which gives 36.

Is there something i'm missing?
Unread 15 Sep 2003, 19:29   #2
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
The only way I can get 38 is by dividing by (1 - 10%) instead of multiplying by (1 + 10%)
Code:
48 / (1 - 10%) round up to 54
54 * (1 - 20%) round up to 44
44 * (1 - 15%) round up to 38
Odd way to do it though.

Last edited by zenopus; 16 Sep 2003 at 00:45.
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2003, 09:34   #3
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
With no reply from "staff", are we supposed to assume Zenopus' reasoning is correct? (which is indeed, a very odd way to do it!)
Unread 17 Sep 2003, 10:58   #4
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
not idea tbh :\
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 17 Sep 2003, 11:47   #5
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
As I said before: the manual says 10%. That's wrong. It's approx. 1/6th extra research time for xan. They changed it and did not say that. You should have checked before the first tick as at that point you could still change race. :P
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2003, 12:55   #6
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbie
As I said before: the manual says 10%. That's wrong. It's approx. 1/6th extra research time for xan. They changed it and did not say that. You should have checked before the first tick as at that point you could still change race. :P
hmm, i shall verify this with spinner as this was not known to me :\
Unread 17 Sep 2003, 13:37   #7
zenopus
Xenoc

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbie
... the manual says 10%. That's wrong. They changed it and did not say that. You should have checked before the first tick ...
Checked where?
Unread 17 Sep 2003, 20:02   #8
Spinner
Founder of Planetarion

Spinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant futureSpinner has a brilliant future
I am afraid the manual is to blame here, very unfortunate.

The Races have the following research time modifications:
Terran : Normal
Cathaar : 20 % faster
Xandathrii: 20 % slower
Zikonian: Normal

For your specific example:

48 * 120 / 100 = 57,6 = 57 as it is forced to an Integer.
57 * 85 / 100 = 48,45 = 48 ^^^
48 * 80 / 100 = 38,4 = 38 ^^^^

So 38 it is.
Unread 18 Sep 2003, 00:04   #9
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
:duh:
Unread 18 Sep 2003, 03:56   #10
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Spinner
For your specific example:

48 * 120 / 100 = 57,6 = 57 as it is forced to an Integer.
57 * 85 / 100 = 48,45 = 48 ^^^
48 * 80 / 100 = 38,4 = 38 ^^^^

So 38 it is.
:duh:

/me suggests Spinner use a proper rounding function

Doing 3 truncations can yield a worse-case error up to 3 ticks from the correct answer (as defined by the formula in the manual).

Also, you can combine the terms and do a single division, which will reduce the error regardless of whether you use a round-to-nearest or a straight truncation. In this case:

(48 * 120 * 85 * 80) / (100 * 100 *100) = 39.16 => round/truncation => 39
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Sep 2003, 08:01   #11
zenopus
Xenoc

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
Also, you can combine the terms and do a single division, which will reduce the error regardless of whether you use a round-to-nearest or a straight truncation. In this case:

(48 * 120 * 85 * 80) / (100 * 100 *100) = 39.16 => round/truncation => 39
Or he could just add up the percentages
Code:
48 * (100 - -20 - 15 - 20) / 100 = 40.8 truncate to 40
Unread 18 Sep 2003, 14:46   #12
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by zenopus
Or he could just add up the percentages
Code:
48 * (100 - -20 - 15 - 20) / 100 = 40.8 truncate to 40
Yes; depending on how you define the formula.

The current algorithm applies the varioius research bonuses and penalties sequentially (ala compound interest), which should yield a result of 39.168--which gives 39 ticks. You could define them as all being applied concurrently (ala simple interest), in which case the result should be 40.8--which gives 40 ticks if you truncate or 41 ticks if you round-to-nearest.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Unread 18 Sep 2003, 14:58   #13
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

I think we'll stick with 39....its long enough
Unread 18 Sep 2003, 15:19   #14
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by SYMM
I think we'll stick with 39....its long enough
You mean 38?

I don't care what it is, personally, as I'm not playing. But I think it would be nice if one could figure it out from the manual.
Unread 18 Sep 2003, 21:51   #15
zenopus
Xenoc

This brings on another question.

For research variations are applied (and the intermediate result truncated) in this order
  • racial bonus
  • engineering priority bonus
  • research lab bonus
However, for production, looking at Zik with production as 1st eng.pri. it must be applied in this order
  • racial bonus
Code:
 4 = 12 * 50% - 2
because the other way around would give 5 ticks
  • racial bonus
Code:
 5 = (12 - 2) * 50%
Or am I missing something?
Unread 18 Sep 2003, 23:30   #16
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactitus
You mean 38?

I don't care what it is, personally, as I'm not playing. But I think it would be nice if one could figure it out from the manual.
will try and update manual before i leave tomorrow.
Unread 19 Sep 2003, 08:11   #17
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by zenopus
This brings on another question.

For research variations are applied (and the intermediate result truncated) in this order
  • racial bonus
  • research lab bonus
However, for production, looking at Zik with production as 1st eng.pri. it must be applied in this order
  • racial bonus
Code:
 4 = 12 * 50% - 2
because the other way around would give 5 ticks
  • racial bonus
Code:
 5 = (12 - 2) * 50%
Or am I missing something?
Nope, you calc the engineering bonus first, then apply percentages. It used to be like that with research too, when the racial bonusses there were still ticks instead of percentages.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote