User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 19 Feb 2006, 11:30   #1
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
The Night Sky

The heat has been intolerable this evening and I cannot sleep - as it was much cooler outside I decided to go sit out on the deck and look at the stars. It is the perfect night for this, the sky is clear and there are literally thousands of them. It is very pretty.

I miss this sight very much when I am in the city. For the moment I am living in a quaint country town called Cambridge. The sky is so perfectly clear because there is very little light pollution, especially in the southern hemisphere - I can even make out the very faint cloud of the Milky Way.

I guess many of you have lived in large cities for most of your lives. You are used to seeing only a few stars in the night sky every now and then. I have never been able to get used to this... it seems a terrible shame to have so many blotted out.

I suspect as the cities expand and the light levels increase this will become more and more common. Perhaps one day I will have to buy a telescope.

Do you notice it? I suppose when there are fewer stars the notion of the night sky loses it's romance.
Cooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2006, 11:45   #2
Chunderbunny

Chunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Night Sky

My nans Portuguese and has a house in the middlie of nowhere in Portugal, the night skys there used to be absolutely awesome. Her village has a population of about 50, then theres a village a couple of kilometres away with a population of a couple of hundred. Nearest town is 17km away with only a population of a few k...

I used to love going and lying on a lilo at night in one of the village swimming pools for the exact same reason.... Spectacular night sky
Chunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Feb 2006, 18:28   #3
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

I have a telescope at home, unfortunatly it is pretty much unusable due to the light polution, even in the tiny village where i live
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2006, 06:07   #4
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I love the night sky. I'm living in the desert at the moment, and because they have observatories out here the city uses low lighting and you can see a beautiful night sky. When I lived on the Big Island in Hawai'i I used to volunteer at the Mauna Kea Observatory, now there you can see a night sky, although at that altitude you freeze your ass off.
Unread 20 Feb 2006, 08:28   #5
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I live in a fairly small town, and we don't got much pollution at all here. I can see the night sky very clearly, but I must admit that I don't appreciate often enough. When it's gone though, I do miss it. I notice that it's gone when I'm out of town, and I miss it during the summer. Have any of you seen the Northern light? Coupled with a clear starry sky, that is a spectacular view, I guarantee you. I found that alone to be worth the trip to Tromsø. I can't see it where I live, unfortunately.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2006, 10:04   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The night sky can be impressive, but I don't think I'd trade well-lit city streets for a better view. Of course, there's probably a way of cutting light pollution by 90% without reducing light coverage by using different lighting techniques, but meh.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Feb 2006, 22:00   #7
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: The Night Sky

I grew up outside a small town with a breathtaking view of the night sky. Unfortunately it was in Minnesota so much of the time it was either too cold to loiter outside or else warm enough such that the mosquitoes would eat you alive. :/

Still, there were a few weeks in the spring and fall when my telescope and I would spend many hours wandering the heavens.

Happy times.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote