User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 27 Apr 2005, 17:30   #1
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
[Firefly] Serenity Trailer

The trailer for the upcoming movie Serenity is now available.

Those who have seen the Joss Whedon series Firefly already know that this is going to be one kickass movie, the rest of you should watch this trailer and go visit the movie regardless!
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 18:09   #2
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: [Firefly] Serenity Trailer

Firefly > *

If it wasnt for StarWars, Serenity would have been out next month. :(
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 20:34   #3
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I cant wait, made me go and start watching the episodes of firefly again for about the 20th time.

As for its realese date, I doubt it ever really had a chance of its originally stated date. The lack of stars were always going to see universal movie it if they had a big star movie to reschedual (in this case the Nicole Kidman movie) and as soon as the inevitable happened it was never going to get a summer release due to all the other Sci Fi movies in the weeks and months after which it was never going to be released against.

Its probally a good thing, it should do better numbers outside of Star Wars, War of the worlds and Hitchikers guide to the galaxies shadows which should hopefully see it fo enough to do the 2nd and 3rd movies that they are all signed up to do
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Apr 2005, 22:48   #4
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I love the series and am really looking forward to the movie, but that trailer didn't fill me with confidence. It looked too "Matrix-esque" in parts. I just hope some of the "elegant roughness" (as it were) of the series isn't lost in transition to the big screen.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 00:28   #5
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

What is this 'Firefly' series? I'm intruiged, and Google is too much hard work. Besides, using Google doesn't make this thread more interesting does it?

Last edited by Boogster; 28 Apr 2005 at 00:42.
Boogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 00:54   #6
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Its a class sci-fi space-western (sounds odd but it works) set onboard Serenity (a transport ship), 400 years in the future. Mostly well written, often funny, and the characters are first class.

FOX are retards and screwed up the scheduling and ran the pilot last (ffs) and eventually cancelled it, so only 13 episodes were made - but Joss Whedon and co. managed to bag a film deal for a possible trilogy. \o/

The series is well worth watching if you can - sci-fi run the entire series every so often, but i guess you can download it some place, or if you're lucky you can maybe get the box-set (which is worth it for some of the commentaries and the extras).
Unread 28 Apr 2005, 00:58   #7
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

http://www.tvtome.com/Firefly/

Alot of people read the words Scifi Western and are put off but its one of the best peices of Sci-fi out there. Has everything a good peice of sci-fi (or any drama) should have but Fox shafted it with poor scheduling and the showing of the episodes out of order
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 18:09   #8
wakey
Hamster

Thought I would bump this rather than create a whole new thread.

Anyway the movie is awsome and I certainly think the way that they have been able to introduce new people to the universe without boring the fans who already know the info having already watched Firefly is better done than any TV spin off I can think of. It really assumes no prior knowledge but doesnt spend half teh movie going over the story already told. Theres really very little I can think is wrong with the movie and I really hope that we will see the further two movies get made.

And if you dont like Sci-fi dont let it put you off, its a movie which is just as much about the interaction and relationships between the crew as it is about the Sci-fi element and if you like good drama your like it even if your not normally a Sci-fi fan.

Oh and I notice they have released the first 9 mins for you to stream to give you a taster. Check it out at
http://video.vividas.com/CDN1/3929_S...web/index.html
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 18:56   #9
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

I am really looking forward to seeing the movie now, only started watching the tv series yesterday though so just need to watch the last couple of episodes first. Don't know why it took my so long as I have had it on my pc for months and it was only due to the movie that I finally bothered watching them. So much time wasted One of the best shows I have seen in ages.
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 19:50   #10
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: [Firefly] Serenity Trailer

I saw Serenity on Monday night and I thought it was excellent. The movie was pretty faithful to Firefly without (apparently) being confusing for those who missed the TV series. An ongoing TV series, when done right, is so much better at character development but a movie is better when you really want to move the plot. Suffice to say they resolved some--though not all--of the plot elements from the TV series. More please.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 20:14   #11
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The Americans , for the most part , absoloutely hated it.

So it must be REALLY good.

In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Oct 2005, 20:48   #12
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
The Americans , for the most part , absoloutely hated it.

So it must be REALLY good.

Not totally true, been getting rave reviews from the majority of critics and exit polls showed something like 80% saying Very Good or Excellent.

Its relativly poor box office return is imho down to 3 things

1) The premise (both of the series and movie) simply doesnt strike you as 'great'. People see it and label it another poor Scifi movie and dont even give it a chance which if they did they would find it was a smart, funny and entertaining show/movie. Its the same problem thats effecting my current Fav TV show Veronica Mars, people read the premise of a "Teenage girl working as a PI" instantly puts you off (it certainly did me, i didnt watch it until after the series had ended and thats only as i ran out of anything to watch so thought id watch the pilot then got hooked) but it probally beats the likes of Lost, House and Desprete housewives to the bets new show last year
2) The fact it was a TV show, people hear this and arnt going to watch it
3) Lack of stars. Flightplan did 15mill in its second week to beat Serienity to #1 despite poor reviews on the back of Jodie Foster whos still a major draw. Alan Tudyk is about the biggest name due to playing Sonny in I,Robot but seeing as he was CGI thats not a great draw or maybe Gina Torres for the fact shes married to Laurence Fishburne
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 8 Oct 2005, 00:05   #13
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Am I the only one who dislikes the movie?
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2005, 01:54   #14
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoderm
Am I the only one who dislikes the movie?
What didnt you like about it?
And had you seen/liked the series?
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 8 Oct 2005, 10:43   #15
Intruder
Jolt took my jap girl :(

Intruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant futureIntruder has a brilliant future

Hmm nice, i watched the trailer without know it was the screen version of Firefly. I never watched Firefly but idd was told that was kickass series

|| Absolute || eXilition || FAnG || Insomnia || Seraphim || Silver || Vengeance ||

Channels:

#brasil #Counter-Strike #ChillSpot #cro #dawnofthedead #dragonslair #elurstaheht #Exilition #fang #fnp #g33k #HoneyBunny #insomnia #kon #Mirage #nebula #OuZo #planetarion #pta #rpg #Silver #the_witches #vgn

Intruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2005, 23:44   #16
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
What didnt you like about it?
And had you seen/liked the series?
OK I have a quick English lesson to the idiot who negrepped me for that post. In the English language we have these things called QUESTION MARKS which you put at an end of sentence where you’re asking for the person to DISCUSS something. A Question mark is not a statement that the persons view is wrong and your is right its simply a statement that your asking a question so as to better understand something. Now seeing as this is a DISCUSSION FORUM you should see alot of these so you may want to stop wasting your time on the net and go and take some English lessons and come back when you have a basic understanding of sentence structure as it might stop you coming across as a twat who can only flame others.

I fully understand movie taste's are differnt from person to person and if they dont like something I do then fine, this doesnt mean I cant enquire as to why or what background knowledge and pre conceptions they went into the cinema with so as to get a better understanding of why they thought that. After all thats the reason we frequent a discussion board isnt it
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 8 Oct 2005, 23:47   #17
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
OK I have a quick English lesson to the idiot who negrepped me for that post. In the English language we have these things called QUESTION MARKS which you put at an end of sentence where you’re asking for the person to DISCUSS something. A Question mark is not a statement that the persons view is wrong and your is right its simply a statement that your asking a question so as to better understand something. Now seeing as this is a DISCUSSION FORUM you should see alot of these so you may want to stop wasting your time on the net and go and take some English lessons and come back when you have a basic understanding of sentence structure as it might stop you coming across as a twat who can only flame others.

I fully understand movie taste's are differnt from person to person and if they dont like something I do then fine, this doesnt mean I cant enquire as to why or what background knowledge and pre conceptions they went into the cinema with so as to get a better understanding of why they thought that. After all thats the reason we frequent a discussion board isnt it
Before you jump to any conclusions, I didn't do it.

I'd sign my reps anyway.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Oct 2005, 23:53   #18
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoderm
Before you jump to any conclusions, I didn't do it.

I'd sign my reps anyway.
I know who did it, mod status makes it impossible not to and I was going to reply to it in PM but I get moaned at for abusing my mod status when I do that.

Anyway it also served the duel purpsode of making it clear to you and anyone else reading this that I wasnt saying I think your wrong for not liking it, just that I'm curious as to what made you not enjoy it
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 9 Oct 2005, 00:08   #19
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

saw it today.
it was pretty good.
Some bits that made me jump, some bits that made me laugh, some bits that made me think "cool", some bits that made me think "heh, that was quite clever".
So yeh, not too bad.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 2005, 00:16   #20
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Just didn't hang together enough in such a short space of time for me. Most likely something to do with the fact it's a tv series and such.

I liked the reavers though
Unread 9 Oct 2005, 18:02   #21
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I enjoyed it. There were a few dubious moments, but it was good on the whole. I can't say much more without posting spoilers.

However I will say that I liked the general anti-authority message of the series, and I was pleased this was carried forward into the movie.

Overall though it would have probably been better as a TV series. But nevermind that, Mr Whedon get's an enormous amount of love from me.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2005, 20:19   #22
Vermillion
Historian

Vermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to all

Very impressive movie, original concept and strong writing. They had a lot of characters but managed to make them all plausible and none of them steriotypes. One of the better movies I have seen recently, I would strongly recommend it.

"Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judicati terram"
Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2005, 22:11   #23
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Why the shit isn't it coming out over here until November 17th
Unread 10 Oct 2005, 22:23   #24
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
Why the shit isn't it coming out over here until November 17th
November 17th!!!!!

I thought it was out in mainland Europe this week so god knows why you dutchies have to wait over a month. The Region 1 DVD will almost be out before you get to see it

Well worth the wait though, has all the qualities that made the show great (although doesnt get to explore the charachters quite as much) but with a bigger budget, more action and some fairly big shocks for fans
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 10 Oct 2005, 22:32   #25
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
I thought it was out in mainland Europe this week
Nope, we don't get it until November 17th. Which is why I was highly surprised when I found out the UK did get it October 7th, the original release date before it got shoved back.

And sad
Unread 10 Oct 2005, 22:48   #26
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Oct 19: France: 9 days
Oct 21: Spain: 11 days
Oct 28: Italy: 18 days
Nov 02: Belgium: 23 days
Nov 04: Sweden: 25 days
Nov 10: New Zealand: 31 days
Nov 11: Brazil: 32 days
Nov 11: Poland: 32 days
Nov 17: Netherlands: 38 days
Nov 17: Argentina: 38 days
Nov 17: Israel: 38 days
Nov 18: Denmark: 39 days
Nov 18: South Africa: 39 days
Nov 24: Germany: 45 days
Nov 24: Switzerland: 45 days
Nov 24: Czech Republic: 45 days
Nov 24: Hungary: 45 days
Nov 25: Austria: 46 days
Dec 29: Malaysia: 80 days
Jan 12: Singapore: 94 days
Fairly strange release schedual it seems to me, admittedly I dont normally pay much attention to releases outside of US and UK but thatcant be normal can it. Released in one country a week during october just doesnt seem like its normal
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 11 Oct 2005, 00:59   #27
dda
USS Oklahoma

dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.dda has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I am glad that Wakey bumped this thread. I knew nothing about the movie or the tv series but was attracted by what I saw in this tread. I took my wife to see it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was just silly enough to be enjoyable. It was just violent enough to be entertaining. The actors and actresses were nice enough looking so that was pleasant enough too.

Hope they do make the other parts of the trilogy.
Unread 11 Oct 2005, 11:27   #28
wakey
Hamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dda
I am glad that Wakey bumped this thread. I knew nothing about the movie or the tv series but was attracted by what I saw in this tread. I took my wife to see it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was just silly enough to be enjoyable. It was just violent enough to be entertaining. The actors and actresses were nice enough looking so that was pleasant enough too.

Hope they do make the other parts of the trilogy.
Universal have apparently stated that it needs a World box office take of around $60million for the sequels to be greenlit. Upto sunday (thats 10 days since release) it has taken 18million in the US which isnt exactly great but it seems the problem is getting people into the cinema to see it, the majority of people who do end up going seem to love it and that seems to be indicated in this weekends figures which exceeded the predications (did 47% less business in its second weekend which may sound alot but most films drop 50% and Sci-fi films usually drop 60% in their second week, in fact its apparently the smallest drop for a sci-fi film since Star Wars: Attack of the clones). It is heading for atm a $30million take at the box office leaving another $30million needed from abroad. However if good word of mouth continues hopefully this can edge up a bit more as more and more none Firefy fans are persuaded to go and see it

In the UK it did $1.6million in its first 3 days (which is pretty impressive, yay us ) and its done the same amount so far in Australia over 10 days. Throw in portugals 76k and thats $3.3million from 3 countries so it might just scrape past the bar. They key is probally going to be how it does in Japan and if it gets passed the Chinese censors as these markets could make or break the international box office figures

What is needed though is for word of mouth to continue, alot of people either dont know about the movie or dismiss it as another "dumb sci-fi" movie when I'm sure your agree its far from being a standard dumb sci-fi movie. It has levels that appeal to even none sci-fi fans and as you said in your post has just enough of everything to entertain almost anyone. So spread the word, let your friends/family/work collegue know they should go and see serenity no matter what their movie tastes are, maybe go see it again and take some people along with you.

Oh and lastly seeing as you enjoyed it pick up the Series on DVD. You will love them and if you shop around they can be picked up pretty cheaply
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 11 Oct 2005, 15:14   #29
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: [Firefly] Serenity Trailer

Quote:
Universal have apparently stated that it needs a World box office take of around $60million for the sequels to be greenlit.
I'd take that with a very large grain of salt simply because so much of the revenue from movies now comes from sources other than the box office. The original Firefly didn't do that well on TV (for reasons which don't need to be rehashed) but did very well on DVD. Serenity could follow the same pattern.

I'm sure a good box office would ensure a sequel, but I don't think the lack of one will necessarily kill it.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2005, 00:09   #30
wakey
Hamster

Leshy if the following info is correct (http://whedonesque.com/comments/8490) then you mighthve real trouble seeing it as it says that its only showing on 12 screens nationwide. Ofc I cant actually read the source for this as I cant read dutch so it may be wrong but that really does seem pretty poor especially when as the post on whedonesque states firefly got one of the better treatments by TV over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
I'd take that with a very large grain of salt simply because so much of the revenue from movies now comes from sources other than the box office. The original Firefly didn't do that well on TV (for reasons which don't need to be rehashed) but did very well on DVD. Serenity could follow the same pattern.

I'm sure a good box office would ensure a sequel, but I don't think the lack of one will necessarily kill it.
Yeah DVD will no doubt play a part as they are playing a bigger and bigger part in movies profits now BUT at the same time the BO is still the place that makes the most money in a shortish window. DVD's are still somewhat of a slow burn way to profit and even before the DVD release its going to have had to have made a good amount for the sequel to still be in contention so it still need s agood push by people to get as many people as possible into the film and then get these people to get as many people as they can into it ect ect, especially if info such as the dutch release info ends up repeating itself in too many places
The Farnborough Crew
Unread 14 Oct 2005, 00:25   #31
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Leshy if the following info is correct (http://whedonesque.com/comments/8490) then you mighthve real trouble seeing it as it says that its only showing on 12 screens nationwide.
That is so extremely poor I have no words for it. The information does seem to be correct.

I personally will have no trouble seeing it though, as I've already seen the trailer in the cinema I usually go to, and their website already lists it as being expected November 17th. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Pathé theaters are actually the 12 cinemas that will be showing the movie.