User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 8 Jun 2006, 23:22   #1
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
'Gotcha'?

Seems Mr Zarqawi has finally been found, and there was much rejoicing, but will it make the slightest bit of difference?
From my limited understanding of such matters, I can see that getting rid of such an 'idol' could go some way to moving the focus of the insurgency away from religion, and more towards nationalism- something that's presumably easier to negotiate with.

A BBC article on the subject suggest that it might ease the tensions between the sunnis and shias, but there must surely be plenty more people ready to step into his role.

When I heard this on the news, I thought that it could provoke some dscussion, but having thought about it a bit more, I really don't think there is much to say....

The news story:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/5059494.stm
and 'analysis':
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/5058598.stm