User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 20 Jan 2010, 17:46   #1
BigGayAl

BigGayAl is an unknown quantity at this point
IRC client

Been thinking, wouldn't it be good for new players (as well as old ones) if PA had its own irc client, aimed specifically at PA. Would be more attractive for newcomers than downloading mirc surely?

My ideas on this:

Upon installing 'PAirc', the install screens are all pa related - eg, enter your coords, galchan, the rest of that - then it connects.

As for the interface, it should be somewhat similar to mirc - but for example, I think it'd be cool to build certain "munin-like tools" into the client. So, people can store intel in it, which would then (optionally) appear in the nicklist. There would be some kind of easy way to share intel with other irc users if wanted. Be good if pa had some kind of "public intel" to get them started and interested tbh. Every tick the client would download the bot dumps, so typing '/lookup', '/lookup 1 2 3', '/lookup apprime' would print the info to your screen, maybe adding '--public' to the end for it to spam to the active channel/pm.

Many of the more complicated 'general-irc' options in mirc would be stripped out - eg multiple servers (though that'll prolly get put in at some point). It'll generally be much simpler to use, with there being relatively few options to set. Toolbar buttons to join #support for example, some way to register a pnick without going to the site would be good too.

Be simple to add a simple attackbot into the client as well...

You know, just a hell of a lot of stuff like that, which would surely bring together the fact that pa is all about IRC. And make it much more attractive for new comers.

Obviously I don't expect PA team to waste time on a project like this, would be more the community. I myself am going to learn wxpython (wxwidgets for python) and play around with it, do people think something like this would be a good idea? Does anyone fancy joining - or maybe just doing it all yourself cos you're a much better programmer
BigGayAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2010, 17:53   #2
eltsin
zawze^asc

eltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really niceeltsin is just really nice
Re: IRC client

http://game.planetarion.com/chat.pl
Unread 20 Jan 2010, 17:55   #3
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

/thread
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2010, 17:59   #4
BigGayAl

Are you serious?

Com unit
Unread 20 Jan 2010, 21:59   #5
Stoom
Bragpack™

Stoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond reputeStoom has a reputation beyond repute

you should put as much time in your study as you do in these (extremely great) ideas!
Stoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2010, 23:36   #6
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

We already have all those things, just not connected. The com-unit is only a boring irc-client so it could be boosted up with a good "PA-theme"

The next step would be to have a planetarion bot in every galchannel and alliancechannel that is connected to either galstatus or defpage ingame. This bot could then be used to either control defpage for alliance ingame, or galstatus ingame.

example of commands on com-unit in alliance channel would then be:
-showincs hanzi
-set hanzi eta5/6/7/8 cov/uncov/closed

It would then list the current ETAs i have incs and you can set my calls to the wanted status. A defpage have a tendancy to be a little messy and irc-control would make it a bit easier i think. But this is not a huge change as the defpage ingame is alright as it is now.

But imagine this in a galchannel, and suddenly it would be a lot easier to have control of all the incs ingal. I personally have used own bots to keep track of incs when DCing ingal, what i then have done is to mark what waves are covered and also added a battlecalc.

This idea should not be that hard to implement and could be a good start to help new players into the game. Basically all they have to do is click the com-unit to join galchan and #support for help. The problem is to keep them interested, and this is where a good looking PA-theme on the comunit and a friendly manual comes into play.
HaNzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2010, 23:40   #7
Heartless
CRASHING BEATS 'N FANTASY

Heartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHeartless is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Or one could just do this the proper way:

- Tell players that IRC is not a requirement but rather one of many different tools to improve communication and thus get more of the game experience
- Provide something like a friend-list within the game, in an easily visible place
Unread 21 Jan 2010, 01:31   #8
BigGayAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoom View Post
you should put as much time in your study as you do in these (extremely great) ideas!
nah

I personally think no one would seriously consider using a web based irc to play pa properly. I use it a lot at the moment cos I'm only joining one channel, and even then I'm forever accidentally changing webpage. Not having logs sucks at times.

I also miss having access to various !lookup commands and such provide quite some ""pa fun"", and it sucks that I need to find an alliance bot somewhere to use them.

I also think pa having its own irc client would appeal more to new users than mIRC.

PA is all about IRC, but yet there's nothing unifying the two really (don't seriously suggest com unit again ) when its fairly easy to make something pretty cool.
Unread 21 Jan 2010, 01:46   #9
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You should give the com unit a chance. It's much better than it used to be, especially now that you can tell it which channels to join by default. All it needs now is authentication with P.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 21 Jan 2010, 02:21   #10
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

thats the only reason i'm not using the current comunit, having to manually type in all the commands to get invited to all my channels and login to P.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2010, 04:22   #11
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

the fact you have to use a capital P for [email protected] is disgusting!
Unread 21 Jan 2010, 08:40   #12
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
thats the only reason i'm not using the current comunit, having to manually type in all the commands to get invited to all my channels and login to P.
/msg p set #channel autoinvite on

makes it so whenever you authenticate, it spams your status window with invites!

(assuming you didn't know this already, ofc)
Unread 21 Jan 2010, 10:26   #13
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaejii View Post
/msg p set #channel autoinvite on

makes it so whenever you authenticate, it spams your status window with invites!

(assuming you didn't know this already, ofc)
I still have to join each channel manually, because (i think) comunit doesnt auto join the channel.

In mirc I only have to hit a single command script to login and join all the channels.

The current comunit is by far the best yet, add in some sort of very minor scipting (auto login to P and auto join channels) and I would use it.

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 21 Jan 2010, 14:03   #14
BigGayAl

Quote:
Originally Posted by alki
the fact you have to use a capital P for [email protected] is disgusting!
I never use a capital P

Has anyone here actually used comunit for a length of time? I solely used it from when it first came out in its revamped state, through to the start of this round.

Its quite good, but so many drawbacks that would stop any kind of potential player using it infavour of something else.

Off the top of my head:
  • it is web based, easy to accidentally change page -> irc dies
  • can't paste several lines to a channel, all gets condensed into 1
  • once in a while, it'll stop scrolling properly in channels and simply reconnecting didn't seem to solve it.
  • looks cheap & shit
  • lacks any kind of inbuilt pa tools
  • logs
  • it needs all quakenet stuff removing from it.............
  • multiple nick highlighting? sounds on notices? the ability to join more than one server with it?

And many more I can't think of. Comunit is ace for what it is: a mirc replacement if you can't use mirc for some reason.
Unread 24 Jan 2010, 03:11   #15
OlaTa
Friends and Foes

OlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to beholdOlaTa is a splendid one to behold

Concidering that planetarion related channels are on netgamers network ....
http://www.netgamers.org/module.php?...iewcat&catid=1

Quote:
Linkname: Pirc for NetGamers.Org v3.1
Description: Pirc for the NetGamers.Org Network
By Kheldar
Filesize: 2.37 MB
Downloaded: 6563 times
There ya go. i've been using that one for years now (think since 2002 or so). It has built in p commands. All you have to do, is write " /mode +x $me " in perform and configure the script in "my console" (f4).
Unread 24 Jan 2010, 14:44   #16
BigGayAl

pirc the same as the one one we used to use?

It was quite fun, but ultimately its still jsut mirc with tiny pa-orientation!

Back to the pa chat website. This morning I'm using it.

1. Window is permanently scrolling upwards as soon as anything is said in-chan.
2. I'm not sure how, but when I come pack to my pc and the monitor kicks out of sleep mode, I maximise the irc chat, scroll downwards with my mouse, and somehow, its pasted my last-used password into the active channel \o/ done that twice. The password isnt in my clipboard or owt, nor had I typed it on irc previously (so rules out the mouse scrolling upwards and flukily selecting it).

Crazy.

[13:36] <ala> <password>
[13:37] <@Pommeh> ?
[13:37] <iDLEKiD> again?
[13:37] <ala> lol?
[13:37] <@Pommeh> wtf are you doing man
[13:37] <iDLEKiD> :/
[13:37] <ala> i didnt ****ing do anything
[13:37] <@Pommeh> got to love your retarded coding
[13:37] <ala> mine?
[13:37] <@Pommeh> next you'll be pasting your visa details
[13:37] <ala> its pa chat
[13:37] <@Pommeh> years ago i would of logged in
[13:38] <@Pommeh> but now days logging into him is such a downgrade

pachat for the lose
Unread 24 Jan 2010, 16:19   #17
Mzyxptlk
mz.

User error.
Unread 24 Jan 2010, 16:54   #18
BigGayAl

Nope. Impossible for it to be a user error.... could be a firefox+pachat combined error though!
Unread 2 Feb 2010, 15:36   #19
Dworschi
MööööH r0x0r0r

Dworschi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I still have to join each channel manually, because (i think) comunit doesnt auto join the channel.

In mirc I only have to hit a single command script to login and join all the channels.

The current comunit is by far the best yet, add in some sort of very minor scipting (auto login to P and auto join channels) and I would use it.
irc.txt

copy/paste to cgi irc client ?
Unread 2 Feb 2010, 16:14   #20
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dworschi View Post
irc.txt

copy/paste to cgi irc client ?
One line at a time i guess?

<Ave> both has bad gfx
Unread 2 Feb 2010, 16:34   #21
Dworschi
MööööH r0x0r0r

Dworschi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
One line at a time i guess?
hm i use IE8 with basic settings for cgi irc
coz there you can paste everything at once
i dunno why it doesnt work with FF or something similar

so i do login to p with 1 c/p
and join all the channels i get autoinvited to or wanna join
with the 2nd c/p

and i paste like 10 lines at once there ...

if you find out how to use this in FF pls tell me ... i'm not really a fan of IE
but in this case it works better
Unread 16 Apr 2010, 13:41   #22
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

I really like the com unit now, works perfect at work

alot better than the old versions

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Apr 2010, 18:10   #23
HellKicker
Fook Yu
Cell-Out Champion

HellKicker is a jewel in the roughHellKicker is a jewel in the roughHellKicker is a jewel in the rough

Shouldn't really be that much work to add two extra fields for registered nick and password and have the irc client autoperform this at connect. The nick and password could probably be stored under preferences or something.
Unread 19 Apr 2010, 09:50   #24
Ave

Ave is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of lightAve is a glorious beacon of light

I like the new comunit aswell for work purpouse, only thing that annoys me is the pasting of 1 line only...

how ever the original idea sounds very good, perhaps its easier to remain comunit as it is tho and make the user tools to another page linked under pa. more like wiki style user posted information, columns, etc...
Unread 19 Apr 2010, 13:15   #25
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellKicker View Post
Shouldn't really be that much work to add two extra fields for registered nick and password and have the irc client autoperform this at connect. The nick and password could probably be stored under preferences or something.
I 100% agree with this idea. Then Com unit would be perfect.