User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 15 Feb 2005, 12:43   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Unhappy Suits

I'm sitting here at work, in a suit, waiting to go to a customer in a minute. Some insurance dude.
I'm feeling quite uncomfortable with this whole finery... no... not uncomfortable... I'm feeling rightout silly. Especially the whole tie thing. A big cloth thingy hanging from my neck serving no purpose at all except for being an annoyance when eating soup.
I'm not used to this at all this being the second time in a suit and all.
The pants are comfortable, though a tad cold. I think it'd be quite good with a red AC/DC shirt in the summer. The jacket finishing it off.
Do you lot wear suits on a regular basis? Is it something you can get used to or is it something that when you hate it the first time you'll hate it always?
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 12:44   #2
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Suits

I wore a suit once.

I've never worn for work. I wear a black t-shirt (usually band orientated) or plain black jumper with black jeans and black boots. I rarely deviate from this.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 12:48   #3
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

In my case suits have only ever been worn for

1) Job interviews
2) First Holy Communion
3) Funerals

With number two I was 7 years old so the other two are where I've worn em most.

Clearly there's something to be said for suits that can be worn at both the death of someone and when trying to get a job. There's a wry comment about life in there somewhere I think...just can't be arsed to extract it.
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 12:48   #4
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

in before yahwe
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 12:52   #5
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

I always wear suits
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 12:53   #6
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I wear suits most of the time.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 12:57   #7
hook
I'm who you want me to be

hook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of light

I wear suits every day other than in the weekend (normally). I quite got used to wearing used, and I actually find them quite comfortable ( I had no uncomfortable feelings wearing suits the first time either I might add though).

You'll get used to it if you wear them enough, I guess.
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 13:00   #8
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

Eeehm something for you to think about: Chicks REALLY, REALLY dig men in suits.

The goodlooking ones anyway.
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 13:01   #9
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrasyn

The goodlooking ones anyway.
So I'm double ****ed.
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 13:01   #10
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

They do? Nobody notified me of this :(

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 13:05   #11
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarina_Joy
They do? Nobody notified me of this
There´s this huge open maw of a goal but I´m not gonna put the ball in it this time.
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 13:07   #12
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtrasyn
None of the good looking women I know dig men in suits.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 13:08   #13
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

I appear to have assumed you meant the good looking men, because women tend not to 'dig' ugly men regardless of what they are wearing. :p

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 13:09   #14
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Hey, now I'm wearing a suit, aren't I supposed to pretend I'm better than anyone else?
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 13:15   #15
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarina_Joy
I appear to have assumed you meant the good looking men, because women tend not to 'dig' ugly men regardless of what they are wearing.
Yes, in this you are clearly right, sorry!
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 13:15   #16
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
Hey, now I'm wearing a suit, aren't I supposed to pretend I'm better than anyone else?
It either signifies that you are

1) more important than other people dressed in regular clothes
2) a sales rep
3) on bail and about to face a judge
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 13:29   #17
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

XeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to behold

I actually don't have much problems with suits. I hate the dressing shoes tho.

I am known for wearing boots with suits. Not that cowboy boots, I mean Army Boots

Knocking on your door for leftovers starting on Dec 21st
XeeThot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 13:29   #18
hook

hook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of lighthook is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
No need to pretend, currently you ARE better than anyone else...
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 13:37   #19
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I can´t blame my suit for me getting better service in places when I´m wearing it. I can only blame the person that has to think eclectic/different upon seeing me in my suit.
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 13:52   #20
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Instead of conforming to the outdated business beliefs about wearing suits in order to appear professional and as an act of 'making an effort', next time, just wear a pair of tatty jeans and a bermuda shirt and see how long your meeting lasts.

Have fun in your career!

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 13:55   #21
CrazySpoon
Pimpin Spoon

CrazySpoon is on a distinguished road

Nothing wrong with suits. Females intend to like you more when you wear one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desse
<Desse> go away
<Desse> you are retired
CrazySpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 13:55   #22
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

I've only had to wear a suit once for a job interview a few weeks ago. I actually found it really comfortable though and would have no problems if I had to wear it more often.
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 13:56   #23
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

On a side note, in 1999 we ordered a heavyweight programmer/analist from IBM UK to have a look at our stuff.
The guy entered in a bermuda, sandals, an hawaii shirt, a necklace so fat and ugly that it hurt, and a bald shaved scalp.

Us suities were all like in awe, as in, ´whoa this dude must be the best ever if he gets away with this´.

So if you are highly skilled it should not matter.
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 14:01   #24
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

That's one thing that I'll note when I'm being interviewed and shown round prospective schools. Some are quite fussy about teacher's dress code (at one school when I was just OBSERVING I was asked to wear a tie, when I took it off as I was hot).

I'd rather be at a school like the one I'm working in at the moment (to get my qualification) where I'm allowed to pretty much wear what I want, as long as it isn't jeans or trainers.
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 14:02   #25
CrazySpoon
Pimpin Spoon

Oh, but its mainly the tie that skcuS ssA. The pants are confy.

Quote:
<Desse> go away
<Desse> you are retired
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 14:06   #26
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySpoon
Nothing wrong with suits. Females intend to like you more when you wear one
Females also dig guys that don't have long-ass signatures telling people they can't make their mind up about playing an on-line game.

'Dawg'

Change the sig or I'll change your 50 Cent -The Game quote to Dollar - Shooting Star

Unread 15 Feb 2005, 14:07   #27
CrazySpoon
Pimpin Spoon

Lollies I will play m8. But your going off-topic

Quote:
<Desse> go away
<Desse> you are retired
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 14:07   #28
hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
Change the sig or I'll change your 50 Cent -The Game quote to Dollar - Shooting Star
That wouldn't be too bad to be honest.
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 14:10   #29
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

Change it to some lyrics by Bowie and everyone's a winner.
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 14:10   #30
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySpoon
Lollies I will play m8. But your going off-topic
You clearly haven't spent enough time here if you think this has gone off-topic.

The new sig is better, but would be more 'bling-bling' with ten lines.

Ta

Unread 15 Feb 2005, 14:13   #31
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
My girlfriedn says that I'm not bad looking in my suit but then she would say that. I'm contemplating getting a hat.
If I worked in a job where I needed to wear a suit, I'd probably go with a hat. Anything to make me stand out a little bit from every other suit-wearing office worker.

Invest in a trilby. I love mine ;D
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 15:16   #32
Tomkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantoz
I'm dying to know what an analist does. And perhaps just as much why you would want to hire him....
Because picking up on spelling errors/typos will get you far in life.
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 15:16   #33
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantoz
I'm dying to know what an analist does. And perhaps just as much why you would want to hire him....
OH MY GOD!!!

THAT´S JUST SO FUNNY HA HA HA!!!!

I ALMOST WET MYSELF NO REALLY
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 15:36   #34
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Back from the customer...
The guy one the other end of the table didn't have a tie...
Nor a jacket...
He had the top button of his shirt loose...
I felt like a dork.
Programmers/System analysts are SUPPOSED to walk around in bermudas, hawaii shirts and sandals.
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 15:38   #35
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

And you did not feel the need to get up and ask for someone more responsible or a manager?

[/joke]
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 15:38   #36
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Would you have felt better being under-dressed (if he had been wearing a suit) than being there slightly over-dressed?

Considering he's the customer and all...?

Unread 15 Feb 2005, 15:56   #37
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

the only time i've ever worn a suit is to my Prom, and then that was a DJ. I have to admit, i looked studly in it . and it was pretty comfortable
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 15:59   #38
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Would you have felt better being under-dressed (if he had been wearing a suit) than being there slightly over-dressed?

Considering he's the customer and all...?
Personally, yes, I'd probably have felt better in my ordinary clothing.
I know that someone in a representative function is supposed to be dressed properly. I realise very well that in such a situation you're the billboard of the company. And I have no problems dressing up if I were a sales person. But I'm a programmer, a computer nerd, and computer nerds are supposed to run around shabby clothes.
But actually, I think I'd feel more comfortable in my every day clothes than in a suit.
I'm one of those people who believe that it's more important to be competent in your job, rather than be competent in knotting a tie. I always look very sceptical at people wearing a suit because I often have the idea that they are all suit and no competence.
I also believe that people who refuse to speak to people without a suit are arrogant and I do not really like arrogant people.
But that latter might be a remainder of my teenage years ("rage agains the machine" and all).
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 15:59   #39
slick
Last Of The Soul Reaver

slick is on a distinguished road

i belive suits are the proverbial hanging rope of the business world, i hate them with a passion. true you look good, but i dnt think you should have to wear one. ppl should like you for who you are.

You're just jealous coz the voices are talking to me!

Rimmer: Step Up To Red Alet!
Kryten: Are You Sure Sir, It Does Mean Changing The Bulb!

Death to the deamoness Allegra Gellar!
slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 16:01   #40
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick
i belive suits are the proverbial hanging rope of the business world, i hate them with a passion. true you look good, but i dnt think you should have to wear one. ppl should like you for who you are.
Yes and all prosperity should be devided evenly as well.

The plebs these days... Still the same, but bigger numbers.
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 16:21   #41
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i feel more comfortable in a suit than i do casual clothes. you know where you are with suits. Plus women like them.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 16:22   #42
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Quote:
Personally, yes, I'd probably have felt better in my ordinary clothing.
I know that someone in a representative function is supposed to be dressed properly. I realise very well that in such a situation you're the billboard of the company. And I have no problems dressing up if I were a sales person. But I'm a programmer, a computer nerd, and computer nerds are supposed to run around shabby clothes.
But actually, I think I'd feel more comfortable in my every day clothes than in a suit.
I'm one of those people who believe that it's more important to be competent in your job, rather than be competent in knotting a tie. I always look very sceptical at people wearing a suit because I often have the idea that they are all suit and no competence.
I also believe that people who refuse to speak to people without a suit are arrogant and I do not really like arrogant people.
But that latter might be a remainder of my teenage years ("rage agains the machine" and all).
I've worn suits, shorts, shirts and ties, jeans, tee-shirts, polo shirts, trousers with pockets, chinos, etc etc when I've visited customers.
\In most cases, I've had an idea of what to expect, but if I don't then it's shirt and tie and see what happens. I wore a suit to a place once and everyone else was in jeans. We all laughed, I took my tie off and we got on with some work.

What it all means is that you can make all the assumptions you like and be 'comfortable' with what you like wearing, but if you're there to work, you should be dressed accordingly. If you know they'll all be wearing shorts and t-shirts, you should still be a 'bit' more conservative.
I know if people came our labs wearing whatever the fk they felt like, even if I was wearing shorts, I'd still expect them to be wearing something half-decent.

Unread 15 Feb 2005, 17:29   #43
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
in before yahwe
as i sit here in my three piece with braces killing my back and shoes destroying my feet, as my double cuff gets a blacker and blacker rim from the london smog and the stones in my cufflinks are chipped, as my collar stud catches against my adam's apple i can honestly say that i have no idea what you mean.
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 17:31   #44
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

I agree with the half-decent part. You can't show up in your swimming shorts as many people would consider it indecent behaviour.
But what I don't understand is what the hell is wrong with jeans and a plain sweater. Or bermudas, a hawaii shirt and sandals in a hot climate. In such a case you're dressed "normally", like everyone else would, nothing offensive, not overdone. There is no practical or social use for dressing any other way. I can do my job just as well when I'm in jeans as when I'm in a suit (perhaps even better). I can tell the customer my stuff just as well, and I doubt the customers hearing is affected by how I'm dressed.
I see little other use for a suit in my profession (programmer/system analyst), or even the industry as a whole, than a "look at us, we've got it made" statement. But that could be just me missing the bigger picture. I thought we had outgrown the midieval classing system or whatever it's called.

Perhaps I'm just not used to all this because in the Netherlands you see very few suits on the streets. When I go out shopping everyone is in jeans/sweaters. Most of the shop staff is, with a few exceptions that I can think of the Expert electronics shop and Maxwell electronics shop.
Unread 15 Feb 2005, 17:43   #45
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: Suits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
I'm contemplating getting a hat.
Gentleman anarchist? Well I never.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 00:35   #46
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future

Personally I like wearing suits. I don't normally need to wear one and it makes a nice change. I enjoy going for a night out in one too, I feel far more comfortable going to a trendy bar in a suit than dressed in a generic smart-casual way.
Unread 16 Feb 2005, 00:41   #47
ben

ben has a spectacular aura aboutben has a spectacular aura about

I like wearing a suit and wear one every working day. Makes me feel important as I look down on the Mcdonalds employee serving me my food.

Last edited by ben; 16 Feb 2005 at 23:08.
ben is offline   Reply With Quote