User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 24 Nov 2004, 13:56   #1
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Mobile phone tariff question (rids!)

I lost my mobile last week and want to get a new one. I dont have 80 pound to spend on a pay-as-you-go thing, so I think I'm going to get a contract phone so that I can spread the cost out over the course of a year.The main factor for me is price. As it stands, I am poor and already have a large amount of expenditure every month, with precisely £0 regular income supporting it. Any significant increase in my outgoings would probably necessitate getting a job, which is currently out of the question. As a result of this, I don't want to pay over £20 a month for a tariff. £15 would be even better. I don't really use my phone that much, so not having that many 'minutes' wouldnt be a problem. Anyway, here are some questions:

1) I generally intend to my phone during peak hours, and to other mobiles. Therefore, a tariff which gives a large number of free offpeak minutes isn't really ideal. Now, a lot of tariffs say they have 50 free 'anytime' minutes. If I were make a 50 minute offpeak call on the 1st of the month does this mean those minutes are used up immediately, or can you plan it so that you only use the free minutes when making peak rate calls (ie I could get the first 50 peak minutes free, and pay the normal rate for all my offpeak calls)? I will probably sometimes make long offpeak calls, and it seems a bit of a waste to have the free minutes wasted on them when they are so cheap anyway.

2) What phone should I get? (free ones only)

3) BT mobile does some 100 minute+ thing where the first 6 months are £10 and the rest (I assume 6 more months) are £25. This works out as £17.50 per month for the length of the contract. This seems pretty ideal; is there a catch?

4) Assuming that BT thing is broken, what would be the best tariff for me? I was looking at Orange's Anytime 50 and that seems quite nifty.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 14:31   #2
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Mobile phone tariff question (rids!)

update: I'm looking at the nokia 6260, does that suck? (or is anything better?)

edit: or possibly the sony ericsson K700 or the samsung e800...

Last edited by Nodrog; 24 Nov 2004 at 15:01.
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 16:33   #3
nick
modest sagacity

nick has a spectacular aura aboutnick has a spectacular aura aboutnick has a spectacular aura about

the catch for BT Mobile, is that you need a BT landline I think.
nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 16:53   #4
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember when people didn't have mobile phones and yet went out, it was called being ****ing responsible and punctual.

DON'T HELP HIM!

On another note, I hear two cups and some string works great.
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 16:55   #5
deerbarn
Anal Crumb

deerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to behold

by bt mobile you mean o2?
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 17:03   #6
Nodrog

I've actually decided that getting a non-smartphone is pointless, and since I cant afford the 7610 and the 6600 is apparently shit, I'm probably going to just buy some shitty 20 pound 2nd hand pay as you go thing from ebay and then maybe get a smartphone next year when they've come down in price.

OH WELL
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 17:10   #7
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

my smartphone was free on contract (orange, everyday 50)
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 17:14   #8
Nodrog

What one was it?
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 17:26   #9
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

motorola mpx200, though they do other ones i believe.

the carphonewarehouse website used to be good for looking at phones and contracts, dunno if it still is.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 18:15   #10
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

you want to have a word with zeus, i think he can help you out if you want an O2 tariff
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 18:27   #11
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Tesco do some decent PAYG deals at the moment i think.
A mate of mine is on it and is happy enough.

BTW deerbarn - BT have started doing their own mobiles again, so it's not o2.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 19:14   #12
deerbarn
Anal Crumb

deerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to behold

Oh righty, handt heard about that.

And zeus is with NTL now isnt he.
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 19:54   #13
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

dunno, not spoken to him about his job for a long long long time
last i knew he was with o2 tho. still if hes with ntl im sure he still knows a few people to put you in touch with
Unread 24 Nov 2004, 19:57   #14
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard he is working at Halliburton now.
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 02:30   #15
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

As I work for Vodafone, its generally quite difficult for me to give you an idea of what the competition is doing, and where to find the best deal. Its probably not with us though. I can normally 'work my magic' to some extent but on low end tarriffs like you are looking at, I doubt theres really anything I can do.

1) The normal way in which free minutes work is simple, if you have 200 minutes anytime/anynetwork. Your first 200 minutes of calls, to landline, mobile, evening, day, whatever, are your free minutes. Thats how they work things. Its not in the companys interest to let you use those minutes only on expensive calls. I believe Orange might do something which offers x minutes daytime and x minutes evening but I'm not 100% on that, I'd suggest checking it out.

Most places have great deals for the first 6 months, but dont jump straight on them. Find out when you can migrate your tarriff (normally its 6 months, but Orange have changed theirs to a year recently) - the last thing you want to do is sign up for a deal thats great for 6 months, and then spend the last 6 months being ****ed in the ass.

2) Phonewise... a phone is a phone is a phone. I've had the touchscreen ones, I've had ones with 1 megapixel cameras, it really is all bollocks. Nokia 6260 has software problems from what I've heard, I know we'll not be ranging it at all. Sony Ericsson is a nice phone, but again the software can be a bit glitchy. I love the E800, if I was getting one now that would be what I went for.

3) Seems like an ok deal, remember you are going to get screwed on the free minutes thing. Look into hidden costs, do they automatically charge for itemised billing? Do you have to take insurance? Are there any hidden extra's that they're going to sneak on to get their commission up?

4) Shop around. Orange generally are the cheapest network. 02 are the texting network, free texts here there and everywhere. T-Mobile are the network you find most of the students on, they're quite cheap but I've had bad experiences with them. Vodafone, well, not the cheapest, more aimed at higher end / business users. 3.. the new guys, shit service, shit phones, but christ they're cheap.

Hope it helps.
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 11:28   #16
Mek
InSomniac

Mek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to beholdMek is a splendid one to behold

iam an orange customer and on the orange everyday 200 thingy (200 anytime minutes a month and 500 text messages a month) and thats £30. Orange also charge VAT and they do a charge of £3 if you dont pay by direct debit (i prefer to pay online when i want to as money doesnt stay in my bamk account very long and i hate having money in there i hav to keep there n not touch....drives me mad lol) all this comes to a grand total of about £41 (after VAT and direct debit charge thing)

always read the terms and conditions, i didnt, learn from my mistakes

Runner up in the InSomnia 'Drunkest HC' competition - Currently on the wagon

Elysium | HR | eXilition | OuZo | ND | InSomnia | DLR

db battlegroup founder and spiritual leader

Sexytime HC of Belgians (#s3xytime)

Not so retired anymore....
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 14:15   #17
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
1) I generally intend to my phone during peak hours, and to other mobiles. Therefore, a tariff which gives a large number of free offpeak minutes isn't really ideal. Now, a lot of tariffs say they have 50 free 'anytime' minutes. If I were make a 50 minute offpeak call on the 1st of the month does this mean those minutes are used up immediately, or can you plan it so that you only use the free minutes when making peak rate calls (ie I could get the first 50 peak minutes free, and pay the normal rate for all my offpeak calls)? I will probably sometimes make long offpeak calls, and it seems a bit of a waste to have the free minutes wasted on them when they are so cheap anyway.

2) What phone should I get? (free ones only)

3) BT mobile does some 100 minute+ thing where the first 6 months are £10 and the rest (I assume 6 more months) are £25. This works out as £17.50 per month for the length of the contract. This seems pretty ideal; is there a catch?

4) Assuming that BT thing is broken, what would be the best tariff for me? I was looking at Orange's Anytime 50 and that seems quite nifty.
There is a deal that Orange are doing at the moment where you get 100 inclusive mins per month Anytime Anynetwok for £22 per month. For the first 3 months, that's reduced to £11p/m. With that tarrif, you can get the lovely Samsung E800 free. I also think you can get double minutes and texts with it for 3 months.

There is a T-Mobile deal for 12 month contract where you get 100 mins, Anytime Anynetwork, for £21p/m. First 6 months, it's reduced by 50% and you get 100 free texts for 6 months (not every month for 6 months).
Another one from T-Mobile is an 18 month contract where you 200 mins, Anytime Anynetwork, for £29p/m. First 6 months, it's down to £9.99p/m and I think you get 200 free texts for 6 months(again the same as above) and, I think but don't take my word for it, £50 cash back so it works out roughly £20p/m.
With any of these tarrifs, you can get a SonyEricson T630 or Motorola E550 or E398 or Nokia 3220 or 6600 or Samsung X600 or E700 free.
But frankly, T-Mobile are a bit shit. Customer Services are ****ing excellent but their network coverage has gone downhill since T-Mobile took over One2One.

As for Vodafone, look up to Rids. He knows more.

Alternatively, look at the networks' website. Online offers tend to be better than High Street offers. I'm looking to get a SonyEricsson k700i free from O2 and they're offering 100 mins, Anytime Anynetwork plus 25 free texts/mms all for £19 p/m. I have a choice between the k700i or the Nokia 6230 (and the latter is also free).
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 14:29   #18
Nodrog

Thanks for the advice.

I have another question though, to do with an idea I came up with last night. There seems to be some flaw to it, but I'm not entirely sure where.

Is it possible for me to go get the most expensive/new phone that I possibly can for free on a contract thing, keep the sim card (I assume the contract/free minutes etc are linked to the sim card, not the phone), sell the phone on ebay, and then use the money to order the handset I want sim-free from America? The phone I want seems to be selling in the US for roughly the same price that 'free contract' phones are going for on ebay, so it wouldnt cost anything extra. Is there any reason why I cant do this? Would the US phone work in Britain? Would the 'contract sim card' and minutes I'm paying for work in the new phone?

I know almost nothing about mobiles so I'm unsure.
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 15:11   #19
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Thanks for the advice.

I have another question though, to do with an idea I came up with last night. There seems to be some flaw to it, but I'm not entirely sure where.

Is it possible for me to go get the most expensive/new phone that I possibly can for free on a contract thing, keep the sim card (I assume the contract/free minutes etc are linked to the sim card, not the phone), sell the phone on ebay, and then use the money to order the handset I want sim-free from America? The phone I want seems to be selling in the US for roughly the same price that 'free contract' phones are going for on ebay, so it wouldnt cost anything extra. Is there any reason why I cant do this? Would the US phone work in Britain? Would the 'contract sim card' and minutes I'm paying for work in the new phone?

I know almost nothing about mobiles so I'm unsure.
Assuming the mobile phone from America is Triband/Quadband (works in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America), unlocked to all sims and GSM enabled then you can get that phone to work in the UK.

About this idea of yours, the most expensive/new phone would be free if you choose a tarrif that's like £50+ per month. Of course you can keep the sim card as the contract is linked to the sim and not the phone.

It's an idea used many times before but you have to pay your monthly line rental of £50+ since it's a contract. Careful how long it is though because some contracts last 18 months.
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 15:23   #20
slick
Last Of The Soul Reaver

slick is on a distinguished road

i dont kno much about the different networks, but the best one to go for is O2, they may be a little pants in the mins department, but hey, they're good.....

i have a three phone, free, i get 750 mins free a month.
but you can get a 15 pound contract which i think you get 300 mins.....

You're just jealous coz the voices are talking to me!

Rimmer: Step Up To Red Alet!
Kryten: Are You Sure Sir, It Does Mean Changing The Bulb!

Death to the deamoness Allegra Gellar!
slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 15:26   #21
slick
Last Of The Soul Reaver

and btw, american phones all have to be triband, which is obvious, considering the have a company called triband! duh

Unread 25 Nov 2004, 15:26   #22
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick
i dont kno much about the different networks, but the best one to go for is O2, they may be a little pants in the mins department, but hey, they're good.....

i have a three phone, free, i get 750 mins free a month.
but you can get a 15 pound contract which i think you get 300 mins.....
I hope you know what you're talking about as I've never seen a contract that's £15p/m and you get 300 mins. Either this is off-peak only or some dirty, hidden tarrif no one knows about.
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 15:41   #23
slick
Last Of The Soul Reaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoderm
I hope you know what you're talking about as I've never seen a contract that's £15p/m and you get 300 mins. Either this is off-peak only or some dirty, hidden tarrif no one knows about.
it's three.... go figure

Unread 25 Nov 2004, 15:48   #24
Blastoderm
________

But 3 are shit. Why would Nod wants to go on a shit network and get a shit phone on top of it?
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 15:49   #25
slick
Last Of The Soul Reaver

Quote:
But 3 are shit. Why would Nod wants to go on a shit network and get a shit phone on top of it?

three are not shit, its just young, and the phones are ok, just a lil bulky....

1 good reason, CHEAP!!!!!

Unread 25 Nov 2004, 15:57   #26
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick
three are not shit, its just young, and the phones are ok, just a lil bulky....

1 good reason, CHEAP!!!!!
But shit outweighs cheap. Big time.

You want to contact customer services, you get transferred to India.

If you live anywhere outside of London, not just Greater London, expect calls that doesn't connect straight away, cuts off randomly and occasionally, and can't get the full potential of video calling.

Plus the phone doesn't last even more than a day. If you charged it on, hypothetically, thursday night, use it during friday, go out clubbing on friday night and right there when you want to make a very late phone call after getting out of the club it's dead.

I'm sorry but my current phones which aren't on 3G lasts more than 2 days in terms of battery life.
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 15:59   #27
slick
Last Of The Soul Reaver

o well, what u gonna do, lol

Unread 25 Nov 2004, 16:02   #28
Blastoderm
________

Either I get my mum on you (scary)

or

I get Marilyn Manson all the way from up north and shag you up the arse. (scarier)
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 16:11   #29
slick
Last Of The Soul Reaver

argh!!!!!!!!!!!!! *runs off screaming*

Unread 25 Nov 2004, 16:52   #30
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Alternatively, look at the networks' website. Online offers tend to be better than High Street offers. I'm looking to get a SonyEricsson k700i free from O2 and they're offering 100 mins, Anytime Anynetwork plus 25 free texts/mms all for £19 p/m. I have a choice between the k700i or the Nokia 6230 (and the latter is also free).
Don't underestimate how shit O2-onlines customer service is.

Oh and nod - there is no reason why you can't do that.
If you go with O2 then it's unlocked to any network already so it's more attractive to a potential buyer.
Just check what kinda prices you can sell/buy the respective phones for initially.
If you really don't care about what phone you get it's a great idea.
America are a year or so behind us in terms of phone technology so it might not be worth buying a phone from them.
Make sure the phone you buy is unlocked - but you can buy a pretty old second hand one for about £20 from newspapers and the like. You could sell a brand new top-of-the-range one for £200-£250.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 17:00   #31
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Don't underestimate how shit O2-onlines customer service is.
Do you speak from experience? I haven't tried online contracts.
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 17:45   #32
Ste
Bored

Yes - i'm with them now.
Admittedly they've been a bit better recently but generally they don't answer emails and their phone line is 50p a minute.
The website isn't the easiest to navigate to find out what you want to know and they keep messing up random charges.
Saying that, I signed a new contract with them over the summer because 200 mins anytime any network and 500 texts is ideal for my usage.

Other people on this forum have had much much worse experiences with them.

Unread 25 Nov 2004, 17:49   #33
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
Admittedly they've been a bit better recently but generally they don't answer emails and their phone line is 50p a minute.
I think it's the same with PAYG O2. They charge 50p per minute. I don't see an issue with that.
Quote:
The website isn't the easiest to navigate to find out what you want to know and they keep messing up random charges.
I'm used to the website since the day Genie changed to O2.
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 19:10   #34
Nodrog

Quote:
Assuming the mobile phone from America is Triband/Quadband (works in Europe, Asia, Africa and South America), unlocked to all sims and GSM enabled then you can get that phone to work in the UK.

About this idea of yours, the most expensive/new phone would be free if you choose a tarrif that's like £50+ per month. Of course you can keep the sim card as the contract is linked to the sim and not the phone.

It's an idea used many times before but you have to pay your monthly line rental of £50+ since it's a contract. Careful how long it is though because some contracts last 18 months.
Nah, you can get fairly expensive-ish (£200-£250) phones free on a 20 pound a month contract, which is what I was going to get. The Nokia 7610 which I want seems to be going on ebay.com for $450, which is about £250. So I'd probably be looking at £20 or so for the phone as well as the £20 a month contract, which is pretty ideal (the 7610 is free on a £50/month contract here, but costs about £200 on a £20/month one).

Only problem is that I've never sold anything on ebay before, and I'm not sure if anyone will buy from me when I have no positive feedback...

Last edited by Nodrog; 25 Nov 2004 at 19:15.
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 21:17   #35
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Only problem is that I've never sold anything on ebay before, and I'm not sure if anyone will buy from me when I have no positive feedback...
I can sell it for you.

I deal in phones on ebay often and have 30+ feedback
Unread 25 Nov 2004, 21:18   #36
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids
I can sell it for you.

I steal phones from work and sell em on ebay often and have 30+ feedback
fixed for truth
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 01:40   #37
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
Nah, you can get fairly expensive-ish (£200-£250) phones free on a 20 pound a month contract, which is what I was going to get. The Nokia 7610 which I want seems to be going on ebay.com for $450, which is about £250. So I'd probably be looking at £20 or so for the phone as well as the £20 a month contract, which is pretty ideal (the 7610 is free on a £50/month contract here, but costs about £200 on a £20/month one).
Details please as I know Vodafone (don't have a go at me Rids) don't do Nokia 7610 for free on any tarrif. Not sure about the other networks.
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 15:05   #38
Nodrog

Quote:
Details please as I know Vodafone (don't have a go at me Rids) don't do Nokia 7610 for free on any tarrif. Not sure about the other networks.
http://www.thelink.com:80/martprd/st...criterion=7610

If search has expired, go to www.thelink.com and search for 7610. Vodafone do it for free on the £75 a month tariff (lol) and Orange have it free for £50 a month. T-Mobile do it free for £30 a month but thats an 18 month contract.

Rids - that would be cool, would you do that?
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 16:14   #39
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

EasyJet/car/net whatever might be releasing a phone service soon. might not be any good to you though, as I suspect it will be pay as you go. might be worth looking at, though you might find your calls arrive half an hour late and the sandwiches are terrible.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 18:22   #40
Blastoderm
________

Quote:
http://www.thelink.com:80/martprd/st...criterion=7610

If search has expired, go to www.thelink.com and search for 7610. Vodafone do it for free on the £75 a month tariff (lol) and Orange have it free for £50 a month. T-Mobile do it free for £30 a month but thats an 18 month contract.

Rids - that would be cool, would you do that?
Ok you've just taught me something new there . But make sure they also do the same thing in the store. Sometimes, online offers tend to be different from high street offers.

But I don't think it will hurt to get the contract online. A girl-friend of mine did. No problems for her.
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 18:33   #41
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

3 mobile are pissing me off.
However, i'm paying 15 pounds a month for the first three months. Then I'll be paying 30 pounds a month.
But after 6 months phones4u (or whoever i went with) are giving me 100 pounds cash back.

So all in all it's not bad.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 18:53   #42
Blastoderm
________

Weeks, if you signed up to the very same contract with 3 right now instead of whenever you signed up, *you'd be paying £4.99p/m for 6 months and we'd give you £100 cash back as well*.

*Well I would.... in my store anyway.
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 18:55   #43
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

When the bloody hell did 3 start doing that?
My contracts only a month and a bit old.
Bastards.
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 19:01   #44
Blastoderm
________

It started last weekend..... apparently.
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 19:02   #45
Weeks
Banned

Maybe this is why thier networks been up paddle shit without a creek resently then.
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 19:04   #46
Nodrog

Is 3 really as bad as everyone says?
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 19:07   #47
Blastoderm
________

Since I work in a mobile phone shop, YES.
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 19:10   #48
Weeks
Banned

I've not been getting a great deal of reception of late.
Their 'my account' feature tells me i've got my free minutes or texts. Lies.
I dare not ring customer support as i'm not ready to see the depth of their incompetence yet.

In about 6 months they may have got their act together.

But they're cheap so **** it.
Unread 26 Nov 2004, 19:16   #49
Blastoderm
________

Honestly though, I think 3 will get their act together properly in terms of reception, video calling coverage, size of phones and long-lasting batteries in the beginning of 2006. They're predicting by summer of 2005, they should have 99% network coverage in the UK.... just like the rest of the other networks.... except T-Mobile(lol).