User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 Dec 2003, 19:01   #1
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
"It wasnt me , it was those damned Canadians"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3351547.stm

One word

BOLLOCKS

Take some ****ing responsibility, put some decent procedures into place to deal with the problem, and stop trying to blame it on your neighbours because your procedures were shit in the first place.
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 19:07   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: "It wasnt me , it was those damned Canadians"

It's just the same as the french. Deny they had a problem, not put any preventative measures in place until WHAM.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 19:09   #3
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

You should get DavinBrahm back here to fight this political debate off.

P.S. I'm totally in agreement with you Kura. I'm sick of tired of the American government making excuses for their actions. Why can't they just admit they have a problem with every problem they are faced with - sigh
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 19:21   #4
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Damn those Americans for blaming others! They should be like everyone else and take the blame!
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 19:29   #5
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend

Obviously it came from somewhere
Probably Canada
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 19:30   #6
evil one
banana

evil one is an unknown quantity at this point

Well this is certainly unexpected

That reminds me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil one
[sarcasm]
Canada is probably to blame for this
[/sarcasm]
hehe

Last edited by evil one; 27 Dec 2003 at 19:36.
evil one is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 19:54   #7
Nicole

Nicole is just really niceNicole is just really niceNicole is just really niceNicole is just really nice

It's true, we have a horrible history when it comes to our meat. I don't know why I continue to eat it. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole country dropped dead in ten years from tainted Big Mac.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 20:27   #8
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

what a nice story. the US are so lucky that we had a case in alberta last year. that specific cow most likely didn't come from alberta.. but it's a pretty good cover up.

i agree with kura. the fact that they had to fly the tests to the uk because they didn't have good enough tests must have been a blow to the ego :\
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 20:32   #9
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Blame Canada, it's not a proper country anyway
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 20:35   #10
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: "It wasnt me , it was those damned Canadians"

I must have missed the part where someone was blamed.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 20:40   #11
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
I must have missed the part where someone was blamed.
You mean the part where a spokesman for the US Agriculture department says "This meat probably came from a herd being reared in Alberta , Canada"?

Arsene Wenger syndrome has overcome you. Quick , get this man an Optician!
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 20:56   #12
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
You mean the part where a spokesman for the US Agriculture department says "This meat probably came from a herd being reared in Alberta , Canada"?
That's an assertion and, since BSE is not known to be native to the United States, it seems reasonable that the animal, or the food that infected it, came from outside the country. I still don't see anyone being blamed however.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:00   #13
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
That's an assertion and, since BSE is not known to be native to the United States, it seems reasonable that the animal, or the food that infected it, came from outside the country. I still don't see anyone being blamed however.
Your definition of 'blame' must not include 'being the cause of'. Damn those different dictionaries.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:00   #14
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
BSE isnt 'native' to anywhere, other than planet earth.
its not like we grow diseases in europe and ship them over to you occasionally you know..
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:02   #15
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
its not like we grow diseases in europe and ship them over to you occasionally you know..
Although that would be an excellent business model. Most chemicals companies have been doing it for years to the Middle East.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:03   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
The first sentence is correct, the 2nd less so.

Everything must start somewhere, and where the cause is something more based in random chance than the disease jumping species due to contamination of food, it's entirely correct to suggest that a disease has an origin.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:05   #17
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
Your definition of 'blame' must not include 'being the cause of'. Damn those different dictionaries.
So if I write a story saying SARS originated in China then that means I'm blaming the Chinese for SARS?
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:08   #18
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
So if I write a story saying SARS originated in China then that means I'm blaming the Chinese for SARS?
By some definition of the word, yes.

However, also bear in mind that livestock control is much more precise than that of the health of humans. You can't force people to have their health tested against their will, but that is what happens with animals.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:13   #19
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't know you could induce Mad Cow into a Cow by being the US. In here I thought it was a diease. Silly me.

Clearly, Blame Canada comes to mind.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:16   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
I didn't know you could induce Mad Cow into a Cow by being the US. In here I thought it was a diease. Silly me.

Clearly, Blame Canada comes to mind.
What craziness do you speak? HAVE YOU GOT BRAIN WORMS?
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:17   #21
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

The reasons behind this seem pretty simple.
  • America has a Compensation Culture. If youre proved to have done something wrong, you lose a lot of money
  • If the US Agriculture department is shown to have been negligent in allowing infected cattle into the country, it will be sued.
  • If the US Agricultural department is sued by every cattle baron in the US , its looking at costs running into Billions.
  • If they blame the Canucks and say they smuggled it in or falsified documents (Hey folks , guess what their next press release will say) then the cattle barons get to try and sue a foreign power. Nil Point for guessing where that will get them
  • If they actually have proper procedures for dealing with a disease that everyone else has been dealing with for years, id be mighty surprised. I note the articles so far seem to indicate they didnt quarantine anything until the lab results came back. Thats give then disease time to spread further into the food chain and around the country.
  • The US Beef market is worth $450 billion a year. If i didnt want to lose all that business, id make up blatant lies about someone else being to blame. Who CARES if their markets suffer from it.

Here Endeth the Lesson
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:18   #22
Intrepid00

m00000000000000000000000000000000001111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111

PS CAn I have a side of Foot and Mouth

PSS Its amazingh how everyone overacts to one damn cow.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:20   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
m00000000000000000000000000000000001111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111

PS CAn I have a side of Foot and Mouth

Yeah it's stupid of people to assume that a disease that has a long incubation period without producing symptoms which has highly suspected links to a fatal disease in humans being revealed in an animal means that there may be more animals with the disease! Silly people!
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:22   #24
Intrepid00

Tell me, how many people have died in total?

I mean worldwide, cause I know your going to have a hard time finding a few in NA.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:24   #25
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:

I mean worldwide, cause I know your going to have a hard time finding a few in NA.
Lets ignore something because we don't know how dangerous it is!

(143 in Britain)
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:24   #26
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
I believe theres a report now claiming this was one cow in a batch of 74 , the remaining 73 of which they cant find as theyve been sold onto various other farms or slaughtered.

Fun Fun Fun Fun Fun
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:27   #27
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
The reasons behind this seem pretty simple.
  • America has a Compensation Culture. If youre proved to have done something wrong, you lose a lot of money
  • If the US Agriculture department is shown to have been negligent in allowing infected cattle into the country, it will be sued.
  • If the US Agricultural department is sued by every cattle baron in the US , its looking at costs running into Billions.
  • If they blame the Canucks and say they smuggled it in or falsified documents (Hey folks , guess what their next press release will say) then the cattle barons get to try and sue a foreign power. Nil Point for guessing where that will get them
  • If they actually have proper procedures for dealing with a disease that everyone else has been dealing with for years, id be mighty surprised. I note the articles so far seem to indicate they didnt quarantine anything until the lab results came back. Thats give then disease time to spread further into the food chain and around the country.
  • The US Beef market is worth $450 billion a year. If i didnt want to lose all that business, id make up blatant lies about someone else being to blame. Who CARES if their markets suffer from it.

Here Endeth the Lesson
ITP, kura proves his point
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:30   #28
Intrepid00

Quote:
ITP, kura proves his point
Kura forgets one thing, you can't sue the Federal Goverment according to the Constition.

Kura's point is flawed.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:31   #29
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

I read the figure 160 deaths inthe uk somewhere.

But seriously, this disease is so easy to prevent. It's not like it's a living microorganism that will spread or evolve/mutate. You basically have to feed a cow meat from another sick cow for it to get it.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:33   #30
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Kura forgets one thing, you can't sue the Federal Goverment according to the Constition.

Kura's point is flawed.
You cannot sue the federal government DIRECTLY. I sincerely doubt the US doesnt have a few lawyers currently preparing themselves to sue more local enforcement agencies and companies.

The individual whos farm this was found on , hell , hes going out of business. His ass will be sued all over the shop.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:33   #31
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:

Kura's point is flawed.
I would see the point a little differently from Kura.

The issue here isn't money, it's public image.

If they can blame the illegal practices of Canadian exporters, the blame can't fall on the republican government.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:34   #32
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by W
Official figures said 143, up until 2002 (confirmed vCJD)
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:36   #33
Intrepid00

Quote:
Originally Posted by W

But seriously, this disease is so easy to prevent. It's not like it's a living microorganism that will spread or evolve/mutate. You basically have to feed a cow meat from another sick cow for it to get it.
Which was banned, in fact if I reacall the first thing they banned was UK feed cause they put cow in it.

As for the 160 deaths, I am more worried about the Flu that kills well into the thousands every year.

BTW, I just ate some steak.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:38   #34
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Which was banned, in fact if I reacall the first thing they banned was UK feed cause they put cow in it.

As for the 160 deaths, I am more worried about the Flu that kills well into the thousands every year.
I think we shouldn't fight cancer because malaria kills more.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:39   #35
Intrepid00

Your figures are exterated.

Quote:
(As of May 2003, there have been a total of approximately 139 cases of vCJD worldwide.)
Ohhhh, what a scary diease.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:42   #36
Intrepid00

Quote:
When and how did BSE in cattle occur?
BSE has been of great concern since 1986, when it was first reported among cattle in the United Kingdom. At its peak, in January 1993, almost 1,000 new cases per week were identified. The outbreak in the United Kingdom may have started from the feeding of scrapie-contaminated sheep meat-and-bone meal to cattle. Scrapie is a disease of sheep that is related to BSE in cattle. There is strong evidence that the outbreak in cattle was amplified in the United Kingdom by feeding rendered bovine meat-and-bone meal to young calves. The nature of the transmissible agent in BSE is not known. Currently, the most accepted theory is that the agent is a modified form of a normal cell surface component known as a prion protein. Why or how this substance changes to become disease-producing is still unknown. Prions are resistant to common treatments, such as heat, to reduce or eliminate its infectivity or presence.

Milk and milk products from cows are not believed to pose any risk for transmitting the BSE agent because experiments have shown that milk from BSE-infected cows has not caused BSE in cows or other test animals.
Hurry for the UK supurb system. Damn, how did that scare happen back in late 90s if you knew about it since 1986.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:44   #37
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:

I got my figures from the british government site (here), and considering that's only DEATHS, and I saw a BMJ article talking about 'many' cases in France (having been 3 in 2000), I suspect you're the one with inaccurate figures.

In addition, ANY disease that kills people would be classed as a scary disease by yours truly, especially one as unpredictable as vCJD.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:44   #38
W
Gubbish

Quote:

Hey I agree with you on plague hoaxes (how many do you know that has died of SARS?), but that doesn't mean that this isn't an issue because "just" 100 people have died of it. If you sell cookies where every 200'th cookie contains arsenic, you don't really have a defence "but only two people was ever poisoned!" when they arrest you.

Stop feeding cows untested cow/sheep/goat meat, problem solved in the long run. What makes BSE so scary is that a cow might have it and never show any symptoms, and even a human can carry it for ages before suddenly getting ill. Any numbers of _current_ dead doesn't do the disease justice.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:45   #39
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Hurry for the UK supurb system. Damn, how did that scare happen back in late 90s if you knew about it since 1986.
The government thought it could contain it.

The rogue prions thought different.

ps.

As to the laws on the matter, there are European laws on standards of livestock feed. It didn't stop french farmers giving their cattle effluent to consume.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:45   #40
Intrepid00

Quote:
Deaths from probable vCJD (without neuropathological confirmation): 34
Deaths from probable vCJD (neuropathological confirmation pending):
My numbers are confirmed.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:47   #41
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Quote:
By some definition of the word, yes.
Not mine. I'd have to see evidence of some negligence before I started throwing blame around.
Quote:
However, also bear in mind that livestock control is much more precise than that of the health of humans. You can't force people to have their health tested against their will, but that is what happens with animals.
Actually, people can be tested and quarantined against their will--if the situation warrants it.

BSE has an incubation period that averages 3-5 years and there are, to my knowledge, no tests that are effective in detecting the earliest stages of the infection. That's why a number of countries are now banning all beef and cows from the US--there's simply no way to test it (and by the same token, livestock from the US obtained years ago could have been infected--there's no way to know).
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:51   #42
W
Gubbish

Quote:
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~comm/bsefaq.html
Is BSE Affecting Cattle in the United States?

Active surveillance for BSE in the highest risk cattle in the United States has failed to identify any cases of BSE in the United States. * Federal and state agencies have taken a series of actions to prevent the introduction of BSE into the US food supply.

For example, to prevent BSE from entering the United States, firm restrictions were placed on the importation of live ruminants and ruminant products including meat, meat-and-bone meal, offals, and glands from countries where BSE was known to exist. These restrictions were later extended to include importation of ruminants and certain ruminant products not only from BSE-positive countries, but also countries thought to be at high risk for BSE, even if the disease hadn't been identified in those countries.

In addition, FDA prohibits the use of most mammalian protein in the manufacture of animal feeds given to ruminants because this kind of feeding practice is believed to have initiated and amplified the outbreak of BSE in the United Kingdom.
<nelson>HA HA</nelson>
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:51   #43
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
My numbers are confirmed.
The only places I can find the numbers you quoted are the US government sites. The UK sites that I've seen (New Scientist and the governmental site quoted earlier) would incline me to believe that the US are incorrect.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:51   #44
Intrepid00

Quote:
Originally Posted by W
Hey I agree with you on plague hoaxes (how many do you know that has died of SARS?), but that doesn't mean that this isn't an issue because "just" 100 people have died of it. If you sell cookies where every 200'th cookie contains arsenic, you don't really have a defence "but only two people was ever poisoned!" when they arrest you.

Stop feeding cows untested cow/sheep/goat meat, problem solved in the long run. What makes BSE so scary is that a cow might have it and never show any symptoms, and even a human can carry it for ages before suddenly getting ill. Any numbers of _current_ dead doesn't do the disease justice.
Try more like 130 out of 6 billion cookies.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:52   #45
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Try more like 1 in 10 billion cookies. My point still stands.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:52   #46
Intrepid00

Quote:
Originally Posted by W
<nelson>HA HA</nelson>
Its '*' and if you go to the bottom it gives info on the recent infection at the bottom.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:53   #47
Intrepid00

Quote:
The only places I can find the numbers you quoted are the US government sites. The UK sites that I've seen (New Scientist and the governmental site quoted earlier) would incline me to believe that the US are incorrect.
No, confirmed cases. Not we think he died from this, but we didn't check.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:53   #48
W
Gubbish

Quote:
Its '*' and if you go to the bottom it gives info on the recent infection at the bottom.
I was not laughing at an old page not being updated you fool.
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:54   #49
Intrepid00

Quote:
Originally Posted by W
Try more like 1 in 10 billion cookies. My point still stands.
I have a better chance of winning the powerball jackpot.

Quote:
1:120,526,770
Unread 27 Dec 2003, 21:55   #50
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
What you're effectively saying is that the time saved by not implementing protective measures is worth more than well over a hundred lives, mostly from people aged 20-35.

If it was just one life, or even if it was zero and only suspected, I'd advocate getting the measures in place.