User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 Sep 2003, 01:30   #1
Silver
Chief of PAs Private I

Silver is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Scoretampering? norty norty :(

what happend with the scores?
everyones scores changed the same tick
gerbie lost 20 k score
most got 5 - 8 k score for unknown reason including me
abosultely everyone went up or down 5000 score or around that..

tick 229

shouldnt we be informed if something changes?

Silver

[edit: to me it looks like scoreformula changed where ships give more score then it used to and bravery such as defending is not as worthy anymore] ?

Quote:
Originally posted by HobbieRogue4
You're both tits. Shorten those signatures.
<Stats> i love you Silver :} *hugs*
* Stats purrs
* Stats strokes Silver with a cucumber

Last edited by Silver; 23 Sep 2003 at 01:36.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 01:40   #2
Twist
A Pro without Mercy

Twist is an unknown quantity at this point
typical spinner.....
R7: 27:15:10 Jack Cartright of The Chantry Rank 95
R8: 31:10:2 TheRealDuke of The Bladerunner Rank 186
R9: 43:10:5 Galliard of Glasswalker Rank 556 at the time I did still care
R9.5 28:4:2 Ahroun of Get of Fenris Rank 67
Delenda est PAX !
Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 01:43   #3
Razorback
Eclipse High Command

Razorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura about
what do you exspect for 15 euros ?

Another nail in the coffin and im sure somewhere is another customer who just decided to quit.
Way to go pa

P.S. the title should not be genesis but deadbirth.
-T&P slogan

Focht
T&P HC
Fury Exec
Eclipse CEO

Stan's muppet
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 01:54   #4
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
Aight, so they changed it hastily.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 01:56   #5
Alastor

Alastor is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
A bug (a missing limitation actually) was found in the score system, which had led to the preious #1 player being in a somewhat unrealistic position. This has been fixed and the score formula has been adjusted.
Alastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 02:01   #6
Silver
Chief of PAs Private I

Silver is an unknown quantity at this point
bug my ass :P

if spinenr forgets to pay the bill and pa goes down
it will be adressed as a bug
or techincal difficulty

They use the word bug so that sodders like us wont think about it

Didnt they like beta test it for 6 weeks?

Quote:
Originally posted by HobbieRogue4
You're both tits. Shorten those signatures.
<Stats> i love you Silver :} *hugs*
* Stats purrs
* Stats strokes Silver with a cucumber
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 02:11   #7
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
A bug (a missing limitation actually) was found in the score system, which had led to the preious #1 player being in a somewhat unrealistic position. This has been fixed and the score formula has been adjusted.
Quote:
Originally posted by Spinner
It is a good way to earn a good score early on, but as far as I can tell, there is little chance you will be able to keep up, having sacrificed a lot of value. It is intentional that you can play this game in more than 1 way, and your original tactic surely paid off, hard to argue with that.
But we will wait and see what happens before we make any descisions here, I think time will make sure you end up a bit lower with every passing week.
So much for waiting and seeing.

How long before the next score tweak?
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 05:50   #8
masochist

masochist is an unknown quantity at this point
my score didnt change.
i got no ships.
i got construction only.
i scan only and since scans (and activity) give nothing, i stay small.
so where is the problem??? ;(
0 pods; I never attack.
masochist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 06:46   #9
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
It's all very simple.

If there is a bug, oversight or what in the score system, leading to an abusable situation, then it needs fixing. Regardless of where the round is. If it hadn't been fixed, then all the same people would have been complaining about how PaX sucks because you can abuse the score system to win easily.

Do you people always complain when a game company releases a patch to fix issues as well?
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 07:08   #10
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
As I said in some earlier thread it is to expected this round we will get some bugfixes and updgrades of features. That is only natural. I just hoped they would announce them ahead of doing them and not at the same time or after.

I see nothing wrong with the fix allthough I find it too bad for Gerbie he lost his points in it.

hAl
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 07:15   #11
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little
you are all ****ing retarded
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 07:36   #12
Kåre Willoch

Kåre Willoch is an unknown quantity at this point
We were told before the round that fighting a lot would give you score that mattered, it wouldn't just be about getting the most roids. Then somebody does too well at the system, and Spinner decides that this isn't planetarion, and randomly changes the score-effects of combat. A friend is quitting over this after dropping over 1000 places in the ranks in one night with no action.

It's kind of insane that you get a 100xbonus for fighting somebody a 100 times bigger than you. It could be set at maximum 5xbonus or something. But no, seems like spinner just went and removed the bonus for fighting somebody bigger than yourself, completely. Really nice way to reward those who try to play a game after the given rules.
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 07:57   #13
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Kåre Willoch
We were told before the round that fighting a lot would give you score that mattered, it wouldn't just be about getting the most roids. Then somebody does too well at the system, and Spinner decides that this isn't planetarion, and randomly changes the score-effects of combat. A friend is quitting over this after dropping over 1000 places in the ranks in one night with no action.

It's kind of insane that you get a 100xbonus for fighting somebody a 100 times bigger than you. It could be set at maximum 5xbonus or something. But no, seems like spinner just went and removed the bonus for fighting somebody bigger than yourself, completely. Really nice way to reward those who try to play a game after the given rules.
I don't know what he did, but I still have 35 k more score than 2 days ago. I'm curious what he did and will try to find out... by attacking people bigger than me.

I expected the game to get tweaked. And the sooner the better, so we'll have time to adapt.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 08:18   #14
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbie
I don't know what he did, but I still have 35 k more score than 2 days ago. I'm curious what he did and will try to find out... by attacking people bigger than me.
Are there still people smaller in value than you then?

BTW i have lost no score, I even got 5k more than I had when I went to bed yesterday Might be ship-production too though, and resources....
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 € | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 08:55   #15
Kåre Willoch

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbie

I expected the game to get tweaked. And the sooner the better, so we'll have time to adapt.
You won the round, as it's PaX v2.0 already. If he has just tweaked the formula, giving half as much bonus, you'll still manage to win v2.0 I think. The players who try to attack somebody twice their size will be utterly f00ked though. The risk won't match the gain scorewise.

It's back to old pa, where the profitable thing is to hit planets 1/3 your size, in **** gals with no def. And sit tight and grow after initiating all your roids, will be better than playing this as a wargame. Well played spinner. Also well played for not letting us in on the formulas, so nobody can tell you what's wrong...
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 09:31   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Does this friend realise that score in this early stage of the round doesn't really matter? In one of the betas, I was way down for the first bit, but still managed to get more score than the #2 galaxy.

In addition, you do get a LOT of score by capping roids, but this is balanced to some degree by making it much harder.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 10:00   #17
evil one
banana

evil one is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I think if your performance makes the creators change the game you kinda have the right to call yourself the winner . He beat the game
evil one is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 10:02   #18
Kåre Willoch

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Does this friend realise that score in this early stage of the round doesn't really matter? In one of the betas, I was way down for the first bit, but still managed to get more score than the #2 galaxy.

In addition, you do get a LOT of score by capping roids, but this is balanced to some degree by making it much harder.

If score in the early stages really doesn't matter, why the scorechange ? I do think it matters though, as that was the whole point of the new scoringsystem (supposedly) that you could do well without having the highest value at the end of the round. Also, don't underestimate people's need for those 5 minutes of fame, even if it's just in an online universe that is getting smaller and smaller..

I haven't played the beta, and don't like to be misinformed about the game by it's creators. Personally I just dropped a couple of hundred spots, and wasn't doing too well anyway. But for others who've tried to play different from what they usually do, these changes are just stupid. It's like, "oh no the usual big guys aren't winning yet, lets change the scoresystem"....
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 10:04   #19
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
If score in the early stages really doesn't matter, why the scorechange ? I do think it matters though, as that was the whole point of the new scoringsystem (supposedly) that you could do well without having the highest value at the end of the round.
Because it WOULD matter at the end of the round.

ps.

You still don't.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 18:45   #20
Gerbie
pe0n

I'm currently suiciding a few ships on a big player. Just to see what will happen. How he (Spinner) tweaked the scoregains there. I just hope my target doesn't run as he's only 100x my size.
I prefer testing def, but that's harder unless you spot someone in time attacking your gal.
I killed 2 fighters (no losses) defending this morning, only got me 1k score (well, still not bad for killing 2 fighters ofc).
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 19:52   #21
General Martok
used to register

General Martok has a spectacular aura aboutGeneral Martok has a spectacular aura about
Rank #24 now, nice limit Spinner
R1: ??:?? | R2: 51:6 | R3: 37:12 | R4: 186:13 | R5: 13:17 | R6: 1:25
R7: 15:14 | R8: 34:4 / 52:10 € | R9: 16:2 | R9.5: 34:6 / 41:6
R10: 2:2 | R10.5: 15:4 | R11: 28:8 | R12: 22:9

Damn, outdated and too lazy to edit, retired now
-----
Started playing again Still too lazy to update though
General Martok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 20:05   #22
Gerbie
pe0n

Ehm after writing that I got bored and decided to donate the galfund resouces to myself to see what that would do (no need to co-op me it's all back again). 6mln resources=20k score.

I haven't landed that suicide attack yet, but don't expect me to be #1 with this. Getting 10k score or so would be nice though. That would put me near the top100 without the fund resources. But I'll probably just lose 30 fighters and gain nothing. Tbh I hope I do, coz otherwise we'll see a lot of suicides.
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 20:17   #23
General1
Rah's def wh0re

General1 will become famous soon enoughGeneral1 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by masochist
my score didnt change.
i got no ships.
i got construction only.
i scan only and since scans (and activity) give nothing, i stay small.
so where is the problem??? ;(
Yeah you are in my gal, NOW GROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rd4 ---> 246 24 10 Silverwolf of Limburg [TFD] [Cell] [NFU]
Rd5 ---> 34 11 19 The great Returning of me [Cell] [NFU]
Rd6----> 6 25 10 Chappa'ai of NOX Homeland (Whitebull) [Silver BC]
Rd7----> 18 18 1 Klaj Demon of Gateway from Hell [RAH]
Rd8----> 36 5 6 1 More TIME of Free Traders Inc [RAH]
Rd9----> 16 2 10 Clan McIntosh of Stardust Guardian [RAH]
Rd9.5 ---> 15 9 9 Nightshade of Sherwood forest [RAH]
Rd10 ----> [RAH]
General1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 22:54   #24
Ado

Ado is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
It's all very simple.

If there is a bug, oversight or what in the score system, leading to an abusable situation, then it needs fixing. Regardless of where the round is. If it hadn't been fixed, then all the same people would have been complaining about how PaX sucks because you can abuse the score system to win easily.

Do you people always complain when a game company releases a patch to fix issues as well?
In this instance Leshy the term your looking for is a "nerf" something thats implemened to re-balance the game at the EXPENSE of the players. In all games I know of its a hated thing one which devs REALLY shouldnt do. This wasnt a exploit it was someone taking advantage of the available system.

Spinner should look into fixing the bug rather than nerf, one this that does make me wonder is why everyones score was instantly recalced, I hope spinner doesnt calc the score based on table values * formula, no mid round adjustments possible without effecting what people have done to date.... very shoddy programming and very limited.
Ado is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 23:08   #25
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ado
In this instance Leshy the term your looking for is a "nerf" something thats implemened to re-balance the game at the EXPENSE of the players.
Not really. It would be a 'nerf' if Spinner changed the score gain for something or the worth of things in order to balance things out.

Not having a cap on the combat score multiplier counts as a bug/oversight.
Unread 23 Sep 2003, 23:13   #26
Razorback
Eclipse High Command

Razorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura aboutRazorback has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Not really. It would be a 'nerf' if Spinner changed the score gain for something or the worth of things in order to balance things out.

If it was just balancing out a limitation, why did everyones score change drastically ? i mean losing up to 10% of your value or gaining up to 10% by doing nothing seems such a change. Which would more mean he "nerfed" something instead of adding a limitation. This easily is reflected that score gained in the past was affected. If he would have just changed the formula the current db dumb would have been unaffected and the current values would have stayed (i personally dont believe spinner looked through the whole db and changed all 2k planets manually thats a fairytale leshy and you know it).

P.S. I will throw in a "i told you so" now since this whole mess comes from the fact spinner was so eager to keep all formulas secret even in beta. Thats why noone mentioned it and noone apart from a few found the loophole. Maybe the idea of the beta should have been more to fix the bugs and to look for loopholes rather than to warmup the playerbase for r10 and fix the major mistakes.
-T&P slogan

Focht
T&P HC
Fury Exec
Eclipse CEO

Stan's muppet
Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Sep 2003, 03:00   #27
furssie
Spastic Drivel!

furssie can only hope to improve
Quote:

Leshy. It's a 'nerf'. The effect of the implemented patch isn't instantaneous, which drastically changed the rankings.