User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 20 Sep 2006, 01:44   #1
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Chinese Translation required...

Around five years ago, I went on the first of many customer site visits to various far-flung places in the world.

This first one was to the city of Qingdao in North East China.

I always try and grab a souvenir when I go somewhere a bit different;

Mate gourds from Argentina and Uruguay
Ulu knife from Alaska
Tequila from Mexico
etc.

In Qingdao's case, I got a typical tourist trinket of a some rice-type paper with ribbons and, most importantly, some writing on it.

Five years later, I've finally decided to ask the great minds of GD to tell me what the **** it means.

My personal opinion is it states "Ancient Chinese Proverb says: Yankee go home!", but if anyone knows someone that can translate it, it'd be bingedy bingedy bong. If not, make up some shit that'll at least be amusing.

Cheers!

The Ancient Chinese Scroll!

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2006, 02:21   #2
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of
Re: Chinese Translation required...

4th line down .. last symbol is something to do with luck - the only one i recognise
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2006, 02:37   #3
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Well, the character that looks a bit like a lowercase h at Line 3, Position 5 (from the left, which is actually the wrong way to read chinese but anyway), i believe means 'Person'.

This is going to take a while
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2006, 11:35   #4
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

If each of those symbols represent a word (and not a letter), as I think they do, it's got to be a bit longer than your suggestion. I don't recognize any of them though

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2006, 13:41   #5
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I counted 42 symbols.

Maybe it's actually;

"Ancient Chinese Proverb says: If the monkey is in the tree, could it also be said that a tree is not a tree without a monkey, and that the monkey is unable to be a monkey unless it is in the tree?

Unread 20 Sep 2006, 14:36   #6
Furious
SpamBot

Furious will become famous soon enoughFurious will become famous soon enough

thats deep maaaaan

<TomKat> my signature is the greatest on the entire internet
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2006, 15:58   #7
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by qebab
If each of those symbols represent a word (and not a letter), as I think they do, it's got to be a bit longer than your suggestion. I don't recognize any of them though
Actually I think they each represent an idea, and not words as such
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Sep 2006, 15:59   #8
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

If I see any more pedantry in this thread, I'll ban the ****ing lot of you.

Unread 20 Sep 2006, 18:46   #9
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oh hey is this chinesetranslations.planetarion.com oh no its pirate.planetarion.com my mistake well while i'm here can anyone translate this pirate treasure map for me seeing as that's obviously where this kind of thing takes places k thx
Unread 20 Sep 2006, 18:52   #10
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
Oh hey is this chinesetranslations.planetarion.com oh no its pirate.planetarion.com my mistake well while i'm here can anyone translate this pirate treasure map for me seeing as that's obviously where this kind of thing takes places k thx
speak ye of deblooms or gems?
Unread 20 Sep 2006, 19:06   #11
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Quote:
Listen baldy* if I knew any Chinese people, I'd ask them, but since most of GD are always saying how bloody cosmopolitan they are, I thought that maybe one just one person might know someone who knew someone whose mother's aunt's grandmother's cat's brother's had been eaten by a Chinese-man at some poitn and might know a bit of Chinese and translate it for me in the HELPFUL WAY PEOPLE DO THINGS FOR OTHERS FROM TIME TO TIME.

You selfish bastard.

* lol irony lol

Unread 20 Sep 2006, 20:07   #12
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Man, I just discovered searching for chinese characters is harder than it sounds lol.. I got as far as finding the first two characters (reading right to left).

"When month.."

so it probably is some proverb or saying, but I work with a chinese guy so I'll see if i can get him to translate it tommorow.
Unread 20 Sep 2006, 23:18   #13
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
Man, I just discovered searching for chinese characters is harder than it sounds lol.. I got as far as finding the first two characters (reading right to left).

"When month.."

so it probably is some proverb or saying, but I work with a chinese guy so I'll see if i can get him to translate it tommorow.
You read Chinese and Japanese top to bottom from right to left
We shall remember them.
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 04:45   #14
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
You read Chinese and Japanese top to bottom from right to left
duh that's what I just said..

anyway, I had my friend read it for me, I wont type the direct translation as it's too long.

Basically he said that it is a man's love poem to his wife, starting bit says somthing like 'silver moon, white rocks' etc etc. Aka nothing fancy just some soppy love poem lol.
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 07:54   #15
laputa
Xanadu

laputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to behold

Sometimes it pays off that my office is next to a Sino European Business School.

It's a woman writing to her boyfriend, she is asking him why he is so far away and not at her side. She is watching the birds that are always sticking together, she is watching beautiful flowers and can't stop thinking about him. Especially during the night. But he is so far away she can't reach him. And maybe he is not even thinking about her, what a shame!

[23:33] <@Divine> hmm I think I may have a new GF aswell
[23:33] <@Divine> but dunno yet if I want a new GF so early in the round
laputa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 15:04   #16
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

That's pretty bloody apt, considering I was there for two months while my wife sat in the UK.

Good work fella, ta very much.

Unread 21 Sep 2006, 15:27   #17
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
Good work fella, ta very much.

So you're satisfied with one person saying "it's a letter from a man to his wife and it talks about rocks and the moon" and another person saying "it's a letter from a woman to her boyfriend lamenting the fact that he is so far away and how all aspects of nature remind her of him"?

You're satisfied with that, two rather different interpretations?

Ohhhhhh Richard :(
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 15:35   #18
laputa
Xanadu

laputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to beholdlaputa is a splendid one to behold

I can get another Chinese to cross check if wanted. They kinda come in groups here.

[23:33] <@Divine> hmm I think I may have a new GF aswell
[23:33] <@Divine> but dunno yet if I want a new GF so early in the round
laputa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 15:37   #19
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

They're not dissimilar. it's some lovey thing. I'm sure there's differences in opinion over the translation.

More to the point, why are people speaking like pirates 2 days after international speak like a pirate day? It's a bit late, even if there's buried treasure
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 15:49   #20
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
So you're satisfied with one person saying "it's a letter from a man to his wife and it talks about rocks and the moon" and another person saying "it's a letter from a woman to her boyfriend lamenting the fact that he is so far away and how all aspects of nature remind her of him"?

You're satisfied with that, two rather different interpretations?

Ohhhhhh Richard
I have found an independent source here in FL that will verify the correct version. Apparently it is written in an ancient Chinese script, but that it is a poem of sorts.

Tbh, I didn't see that djbass had actually found a translation, which is why I was so quick off the mark to accept what I was given.

I shall strike down with great vengeance and furious anger on anyone I find who has tried to pass me off with a bad translation.

BE WARNED.

Unread 21 Sep 2006, 22:28   #21
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
I have found an independent source here in FL that will verify the correct version. Apparently it is written in an ancient Chinese script, but that it is a poem of sorts.

Tbh, I didn't see that djbass had actually found a translation, which is why I was so quick off the mark to accept what I was given.

I shall strike down with great vengeance and furious anger on anyone I find who has tried to pass me off with a bad translation.

BE WARNED.
No I had gotten a translation from a genuine chinese person lol. I will admit that there is a chance I may have confused some details because after all I am only relaying another persons translation, but what laputa said seems very close to what my friend said since he also mentioned details about the person dreaming etc. Unfortunately while his chinese is great he speaks terrible engrish so I expect some details may be slightly off and laputa's is the correct version.
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 22:30   #22
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
No I had gotten a translation from a genuine chinese person lol.
Did he have "Made in China (TM)" stamped on his ass?

That'd be a pretty cool way of marking nationality. Brand everyone who wants to go abroad.
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 23:16   #23
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Quote:
duh that's what I just said..

anyway, I had my friend read it for me, I wont type the direct translation as it's too long.
I meant you start at the right most column, read down to the bottom, and then go back to the top of the cloumn to the left of the previous one. Is that what you also meant?
We shall remember them.
Unread 21 Sep 2006, 23:18   #24
djbass
mmm.. pills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Dave
I meant you start at the right most column, read down to the bottom, and then go back to the top of the cloumn to the left of the previous one. Is that what you also meant?
indeed
Unread 22 Sep 2006, 00:19   #25
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
Did he have "Made in China (TM)" stamped on his ass?

That'd be a pretty cool way of marking nationality. Brand everyone who wants to go abroad.
If you have David and Victoria Beckham as your parents you can go one better and have it as your name!
Unread 22 Sep 2006, 00:20   #26
Tomkat

Demon Dave is doing a lot of "im rite ur rong lol ur thick" posts lately isn't he?

Just an observation!
Unread 22 Sep 2006, 00:25   #27
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Quote:
Demon Dave is doing a lot of "im rite ur rong lol ur thick" posts lately isn't he?

Just an observation!
no he isnt ur rong lol ur thick

Unread 22 Sep 2006, 00:31   #28
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Quote:

Just an observation!
Don't make me get my red pen!
We shall remember them.
Unread 22 Sep 2006, 00:43   #29
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

Just an observation!
an observation?

what are you? richard and judy?

get your posts back on track boy.
Unread 22 Sep 2006, 02:07   #30
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

question: do the different dialects have different alphabets/symbols?
Unread 22 Sep 2006, 09:11   #31
Appocomaster
PA Team

I'd assume so. I have no idea if it actually does, but since when did that stop a GD poster?

Even French, German and English (which have the same sort of roots, ish) have changed a bit. China's a pretty big place, and they have loads of symbols, so I assume that in some places they have a few different words.

Also, someone ^^ mentioned Ancient Chinese, and usually that means (as well as being lots older) that it's more formal // sometimes less developed.
If that counts as a dialect...