User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 18 Nov 2005, 23:38   #1
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Passwords, how do you manage?

You know if someone ever manages to figure mine out, I'd be screwed, because I use it almost everywhere or derivatives there of.

I do have a set of passwords that has remained unchanged for the last 3 years. My oldest password is from the 90's.
Unread 18 Nov 2005, 23:44   #2
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Passwords, how do you manage?

i use 3, always have

except my btopenworld account and i cant remember the password to that :/
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Nov 2005, 23:45   #3
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

same here
but i tend to change them once in a while. for a while my password was 'guess' for everything.. and then it was 'pepsicola' and now it's... well nevermind.
i've started to add in random numbers. though with my crap memory it screws me up and i forget it if i haven't used it in a while
Unread 18 Nov 2005, 23:57   #4
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i have three (well, 4, but one of them is the word 'password' for things i dont care about other people having access to) paswords, two of them are only used on a single website (including, perhaps surprisingly, pirate.planetarion.com which has its own seperate distinct password ever since some **** hacked me a couple fo years ago and sent some 'hilarious pm's from my account') but i am generally of the opinion that i have nothing worth stealing.

however, if i started doing a lot of online commerce i would be more secure about my passwords.
Unread 18 Nov 2005, 23:59   #5
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have 2.

One for stuff I don't care about.
One for stuff I do care about.

Even if both these passwords got hacked then I still probably wouldn't be in a bad situation (unless they posted on here in my name!)
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 00:04   #6
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner_0
surprisingly, pirate.planetarion.com which has its own seperate distinct password ever since some **** hacked me a couple fo years ago and sent some 'hilarious pm's from my account')
I just tried 'password'
Quote:
but i am generally of the opinion that i have nothing worth stealing.
You do have something worth stealing: responsibility (I.E. responsibility to pay back debt accumulated in your name).
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 00:06   #7
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

if you can get any money out of any website i am a member of by posting in my name i will be very very impressed
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 00:08   #8
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
if you can get any money out of any website i am a member of by posting in my name i will be very very impressed
I use my bank's site and my credit card's site, my university' site (want to change my class schedule?) etc. If any deviant person figures out my password, they could ruin my life.
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 00:10   #9
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 10-15 different.

Its a big hard to remember them all, but it usually goes.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 00:12   #10
roadrunner_0
cynic

oh shit yeah i use my bank site as well, but as i didnt set eitehr of the passwords involvd and they ar both random sets of figures that i have to input part of each to log on,i think its failry safe
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 00:29   #11
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have the same one for everything, except for this site because this account is so old and it still has the password I was using for everything back then.

Oh, and the one for my bank is different, but then it has to be
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 00:34   #12
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

i use 5 different ones which i remember, one is 6 chars, one is 8 chars, the rest are 9, 10 and 20 chars long respectively. All are alphanumeric, and where supported, case sensitive.
for things like pa i use the auto-generated password instead of one of my own ones - and let the browser on the laptop remember it. for my own passwords, the laptop doesnt remember them
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 00:35   #13
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

LoveAryn is one of phils passwords.
Really.
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 00:36   #14
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

nope, it isnt no numbers in it.
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 00:45   #15
no∙
Honesty Above All

no∙ is infamous around these partsno∙ is infamous around these partsno∙ is infamous around these partsno∙ is infamous around these partsno∙ is infamous around these parts

I use consecutive combinations of the letters 'n' and 'o'
no∙ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 00:48   #16
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I use variations on one theme now. I used to just use variations on one string of characters. I imagine if someone figured out one password they could work out the rest but you'd need to be insane to put that much effort in considering the potential reward.
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 00:49   #17
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
I use variations on one theme now. I used to just use variations on one string of characters. I imagine if someone figured out one password they could work out the rest but you'd need to be insane to put that much effort in for what the potential reward.
ooh good idea

EDIT: also, software can do all that effort with ease. It's not insane at all.
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 00:54   #18
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
ooh good idea

EDIT: also, software can do all that effort with ease. It's not insane at all.
How exactly can "software" do that with ease?
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 01:01   #19
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute

I started off with 1 for everything
That got a bit dangerous, so I had a set of 3 for a couple of years are so
That's now gone up to a set of about 6, with a few individual ones for security (my IRC passwords are all separate from any other passwords I use, for example)
My forums password, however, has never changed and is the oldest password I have that I still use.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 01:17   #20
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
How exactly can "software" do that with ease?
With password libraries, complex algorithm's, etc:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ssword+cracker
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 01:28   #21
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
With password libraries, complex algorithm's, etc:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ssword+cracker
I lost the will to live while reading the summary of the first link. I think that conclusively proves my point.
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 01:37   #22
Richpur
Just call me sir.

Richpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of lightRichpur is a glorious beacon of light

More than one of my passwords was set by letting a guinea pig at the keyboard. That way it's not my job to remember the password, just which pet chose it.
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 01:43   #23
QazokRouge5
Back from timeout.

QazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the roughQazokRouge5 is a jewel in the rough

I only use 3 too... and they're ridiculously simple.
Quote:
Originally posted by Yahwe
Gay ducks only do it because it impresses their peers.
QazokRouge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 02:55   #24
Superpig #1
^ ^ Clearly Stolen ^ ^

Superpig #1 is infamous around these parts

Ive just recently changed all my passwords so 90% of them are the same now. And if anyone worked it out, it could ruin my life aswell.

My password used to be "iamcool", man i was so sad......
This is a man in a wheelchair - &

and that was my sig.
Superpig #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 02:59   #25
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpig #1
My password used to be "iamcool", man i was so sad......
Any use of that 'word' is immediately ironic.
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 03:03   #26
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

the password is use the most is the one i needed for the TFD website, back in 1999. :|
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 03:29   #27
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit the same as G.K. I have lots of passwords, none of them written anywhere and none of them with obvious links to anything.

some are at various levels of security from commonly used to completely unique.

strangeley the one I use for these forums is unique and not used anywhere else
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 03:37   #28
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

i have lots of passwords that i can never remember. rather i remember them all i just don't know which onces for which things so it ends up being a guessing game :/
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 09:01   #29
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

All my passwords were randomly generated.
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 09:12   #30
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

I have a lot of different passwords, and rarely use the same one.

I did at one time write them all down, but now I use the 'cant remember your password' button an awful lot.
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 12:52   #31
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

i've got 5 or 6 and with some variations about 40 different passes.

Sometimes when you forget and there is a maximum 3 trial attempts per hour it gets annoying.
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 13:59   #32
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I have one main password which I used for a few things.

I have a secondary password for sites where it doesn't really matter that much but I have changed them from the original since I didn't want any one access them.

Bank stuff, etc is all a bit different since there is generally at least 2 numbers which you have to do enter before you can login. And besides, I can't get any money out of my bank, I'd be surprised if anyone else could.

At work it's a bit of a nightmare since we have 10+ seperate passwords (an NT login, an Invoice system, a CRM system, an asset management system, a housing management system, 2-3 seperate databases, 3 seperate contractors systems...). After a security audit some of our passwords now have to fit complexity requirements (have to have a number and a capital letter, changes every month, can't use any variation of the last 16 passwords, etc). Which is fine, but now people just write their passwords down and put them on a post-it note on the monitor...
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 16:00   #33
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
can't use any variation of the last 16 passwords, etc).
When I still had a job, we had similiar security, except it was that you couldn't use any of the last 5 passwords. I circumvented it however, by changing the password 5 times. So I always used the same password for everything at work. :/
Unread 19 Nov 2005, 17:49   #34
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place

when i was a young internetgoer (maybe 10-12 years ago?) i used 'ih8me', which was a pretty solid alphanumeric. but i was naive*, and fell for one of those pathetic "Due to security issues we will need you to IM us your password" or whatever IMs. I immediately realized what I did though, and changed my password to a more complicated derivative thereof (uh8me). And I still use that new version for almost everything. If for whatever reason I get told I need to put in a new password, I'll put that one in backwards and continue.

However, passwords that lead to my money (paypal, my bank, etc) I use a separate one. But I turn that one backwards at request too.

I probably have ~50-100 passworded accounts around. The idea that I would keep them all on different (unrelated) passwords and change them all on a regular basis is ridiculous. And making people change their passwords on a regular basis is pretty counterproductive too. That just means they have to write them down somewhere, which in turn allows other people a chance to find them out.

*incredibly stupid
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 17:00   #35
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroom
My forums password, however, has never changed and is the oldest password I have that I still use.
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 17:21   #36
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I have one main password which I used for a few things.

I have a secondary password for sites where it doesn't really matter that much but I have changed them from the original since I didn't want any one access them.

Bank stuff, etc is all a bit different since there is generally at least 2 numbers which you have to do enter before you can login. And besides, I can't get any money out of my bank, I'd be surprised if anyone else could.

At work it's a bit of a nightmare since we have 10+ seperate passwords (an NT login, an Invoice system, a CRM system, an asset management system, a housing management system, 2-3 seperate databases, 3 seperate contractors systems...). After a security audit some of our passwords now have to fit complexity requirements (have to have a number and a capital letter, changes every month, can't use any variation of the last 16 passwords, etc). Which is fine, but now people just write their passwords down and put them on a post-it note on the monitor...
we have that problem. I was told off for leaving one of the group machines logged on, with the argument "if you do that, anyone can just use it" but then I pointed out that the password was stuck to the monitor, so they retracted that one.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 19:41   #37
Snurx
Dirte

Snurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldSnurx spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I have a bunch of words and numbers that I use for "security" things, like my email and PGP. They got no connection (if you dont know me and my whole life), and are pretty . I change it every so often, always keeping one word or so and moving on. It makes it really easy to remeber, but hard to figure out. Not that I have anything to protect, I dont use the net for money things (at least not with my own cards )

For simpler things, like forums, hotmail and undangerous things, I have a few passwords that are so simple anybody could figure them out if they tried.
Snurx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Nov 2005, 20:08   #38
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snurx
I have a bunch of words and numbers that I use for "security" things, like my email and PGP. They got no connection (if you dont know me and my whole life), and are pretty . I change it every so often, always keeping one word or so and moving on. It makes it really easy to remeber, but hard to figure out. Not that I have anything to protect, I dont use the net for money things (at least not with my own cards )

For simpler things, like forums, hotmail and undangerous things, I have a few passwords that are so simple anybody could figure them out if they tried.
Out of curiosity, what do you use PGP for?
Unread 21 Nov 2005, 01:25   #39
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN
the password is use the most is the one i needed for the TFD website, back in 1999. :|
you started playing this game end 2000 though
Unread 21 Nov 2005, 01:37   #40
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

ah, 2000 it is then.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2005, 16:09   #41
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolis
when i was a young
when i was young it seemed that life was so wonderful, a miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical

hmm whats the song called again? /me goes searching

Edit: Supertramp - The Logical Song

I seriously dont remember it being called that but..../me shrugs
Unread 21 Nov 2005, 16:37   #42
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I have a scarily few amount of passwords. I really really need to get more - I came up with a couple by just using a simple mIRC script to generate them. Amusingly enough, my most secure password is probably my hotmail password - 3 digits longer than anything else - though most of my passwords are fairly simple. TBH I really need to go through and sort them out.
Unread 21 Nov 2005, 16:38   #43
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki
when i was young it seemed that life was so wonderful, a miracle, oh it was beautiful, magical

hmm whats the song called again? /me goes searching

Edit: Supertramp - The Logical Song

I seriously dont remember it being called that but..../me shrugs
maybe you're thinking of the awful 'scooter' version from 2002?
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2005, 16:47   #44
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a few passwords actually I only ever remember 2 of them but the rest i just use the forgotten password bit and get the password emailed to me for the 5th time or reset again.
I have 5 ebay accounts now i think and I have forgotten the password to the new one and which email adress its from.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2005, 02:34   #45
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

i almost forgot my banking password just now... stupid random numbers