User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 7 Dec 2005, 18:17   #1
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold
Wireless xbox live

anyone give me some advice. We have a wireless network setup in our house and its all great. But i love playing xbox live and the prob is the router is in my flatmates bedroom and if i want to play my xbox on live i need sit in his room and use it. I could probably just use a very long ethernet cable to extend from the router to my bedroom but its like 20m or so and down some stairs and would generally fcuk up the appearance of our house. Is there any wiless reciever i could use that could be plugged straight into the back of the xbox via the ethernet cable that would work? Im unsure if this would work as i wouldnt be able to set it up on a pc etc at the recieving end. Or would the xbox automatically detect a wireless network from the reciever? any tips appreciated ty.
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2005, 18:26   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Wireless xbox live

another wireless access point, set up to work with the router might do it.
wireless though i would not recommend for playing games, especially over that sorta distance.
the packet loss will be a factor to consider, so imo its better to just run a cat-5 cable and hide it under carpets, and other ways you possibly can

as far as the xbox would be concerned, its just being routed through a switch on a network so all it would see is the router ( in theory )
Unread 7 Dec 2005, 18:33   #3
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold

maybe ill setup the cable when my flatmates out.... hes the leaseholder and has said he wants no cables anywhere :/
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Unread 7 Dec 2005, 19:35   #4
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

You could indeed try a second AP set to gateway. You will probably need it to be of the same manufacturer.

And considering that it'll take care of itself, I don't think packetloss and bandwidth will be a major concern.

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Dec 2005, 19:37   #5
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

personally i'd err on the side of caution and just go with the cable still
the quality of AP's isnt too great in some cases, over 20m, through a floor and probably a few walls may be problematic for some brands
Unread 7 Dec 2005, 19:44   #6
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

True, my laptop + wireless router does around 40 meters, 3 walls and a floor without trouble though. Well... I'm not gonna try and play a LAN game over it, but most internet games still work.

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Dec 2005, 12:01   #7
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Most wireless devices are rated to 100m indoor range nd 400m outdoor range, this gives plenty of room to play with. Also as far as gaming & internet is concerned, do remember that broadband does not even come close to even the lowest bandwidth available over ethernet conections, so even if it were supurbly poor at 1mb link, you'd be fine.

Some recommendations:

D-Link DWL-G810

Netgear WGE111

or for a slightly more unconventional solution:

Netgear XE102

I couldn't find a product located in the UK, but I know there are a couple of simular ones out there. With this unit you can create a network via wiring in your electrical sockets. It only has a maximum speed of 14Mbs but that's plenty for internet and gaming, however I'm really not sure what the limit is in regards to distance between wiring sockets, this is also assuming all the sockets in your flat or whatever share the same electrical path.
Unread 8 Dec 2005, 18:34   #8
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Cheers dj those d-link and netgear products appear to be what im looking for, i have a laptop in my room i can hopefully use to set them up to the network before i replace it with the xbox. I have 3mb broadband and our connection is permanent and never falters so heres hoping i can get it to work wirlessly with xbox live. ill report back once i aqquire the hardware.
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Unread 9 Dec 2005, 20:19   #9
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oh for heaven's sake people:

How can you NOT have heard of these?
Unread 10 Dec 2005, 07:05   #10
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglamaniac
Oh for heaven's sake people:

How can you NOT have heard of these?
Don't get me wrong but isn't that what I suggested...hmm?
Unread 10 Dec 2005, 15:06   #11
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yep - sorry, I missed your post.