User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion

Unread 10 Oct 2005, 13:07   #1
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Seth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of light
Creating A Wiki

I'm thinking about creating a Wiki for one of my favourite bands, having done a few google searches it seems there's more then one about.

Anybody suggest a good Wiki download or any other comments to help me

Thanks!
R5: [HR] - [DuH] Triad with [BD] & [UV]
R6: [HR] - [HyB] Alliance with [BD]
R7, R8, R9, R9.5: Nos Wing [HR]
R10: [HR]
R10.5: [HR] - [FYTFO] Alliance with ]LCH[
R11, R12, R13, R15, R16, R17: [HR]
Seth Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Oct 2005, 14:14   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Creating A Wiki

MediaWiki and pmWiki I've used before, they both seem quite pleasant. The first requires a database, and is what Wikipedia and sites of its ilk are based on, pmWiki is based on flat-file storage so if your webspace doesn't come with a database then it's a cheap option.
Unread 11 Oct 2005, 14:26   #3
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Seth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of light

Hmm, well the content will just be text information and i do have a database with my webspace.
Unread 11 Oct 2005, 15:10   #4
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Mace
Hmm, well the content will just be text information and i do have a database with my webspace.
Mediawiki is nice because you can decide how much you want to do with it. The default setup looks and works well enough that they don't need changing, but if one wants to, it's not too hard (at least not with more recent versions).

You might want to have a look over at opensource cms. They've got a bunch of CMSes (content management systems) installed that you can try out with admin access.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Oct 2005, 11:05   #5
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future

why dont you just one of the existing and create (a) very detailed article(s) about your favourite band ? would certainly give more ppl access to the info because larger Wikis have more visitors etc and you would safe the effort of setting one up yourself.

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2005, 12:51   #6
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Ahh well my wiki's up and running fine now, so too late for that;P

Thanks for the input by the way people!

Now I just need some advice on the local_settings.php file and what restrictions a public wiki should have, to prevent abuse?
Unread 14 Oct 2005, 19:58   #7
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Now I just need some advice on the local_settings.php file and what restrictions a public wiki should have, to prevent abuse?
We had a pretty nasty spammer incident on pawiki a week or so ago, when spambots hit about 100-150 pages. This was the first time we'd had more than 3-4 pages hit in one go, after about half a year of being indexed by google. Following that event I turned on $wgWhitelistEdit, which forces users to be logged in to edit pages. This wasn't something I liked doing, however, and I'd recommend a period without it to get the ball rolling. Other than that, I pretty much run default settings, they're all pretty sane.
Unread 14 Oct 2005, 21:55   #8
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Cheers, will keep that noted for future reference.

Was that on the PA wiki btw? How long did it take you to fix everything?
Unread 15 Oct 2005, 08:22   #9
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Cheers, will keep that noted for future reference.

Was that on the PA wiki btw? How long did it take you to fix everything?
Yeah it was, it took about an hour to fix. Unfortunately we lost a few edits due to (what appears to be) a mediawiki bug.
Unread 15 Oct 2005, 08:31   #10
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
We had a pretty nasty spammer incident on pawiki a week or so ago, when spambots hit about 100-150 pages. This was the first time we'd had more than 3-4 pages hit in one go, after about half a year of being indexed by google. Following that event I turned on $wgWhitelistEdit, which forces users to be logged in to edit pages. This wasn't something I liked doing, however, and I'd recommend a period without it to get the ball rolling. Other than that, I pretty much run default settings, they're all pretty sane.
As much as it's nice to keep as open a system as possible to allow people to freely edit the pages, I think having logged in users edit only encourages better content to be written rather than random ramblings etc.
Unread 15 Oct 2005, 09:26   #11
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbass
As much as it's nice to keep as open a system as possible to allow people to freely edit the pages, I think having logged in users edit only encourages better content to be written rather than random ramblings etc.
My experience tells me otherwise. (That is, logged in users are just as likely to spout drivel as people who aren't logged in.)
Unread 27 Oct 2005, 14:15   #12
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
My experience tells me otherwise. (That is, logged in users are just as likely to spout drivel as people who aren't logged in.)
Point proved

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote