User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 24 Jan 2006, 00:59   #1
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Best Strategy Games?

Seeing the topic about civ 4 (wich greatly disappointed me, after having enjoyed both civ 2 and Alpha Centauri for countless hours...), I started thinking about what strategy games that kept my interest longest, how realistic they were, and I remember lots of good times I had in front of my computer, or being on lan with my friends.

I managed to make a list out of my favorites, and I ask others to do the same. Who knows, perhaps we encounter some pearls. Here is mine, anyway, in no specific order:

Civilization 2 - Needs no explanation really, wasted countless of hours on this game, and I enjoyed every single one of them. Turn based strategy, and probably the best game of its time.

Alpha Centarui - Same as the above.

Hearts of Iron - Real Time Grand Strategy, is the term wich the producers used about it. Its about World War II, and you get to govern a country, pick the battles, but you can't fight the battles like you would in Age of Empires etc. You pick the generals, the armies that participate, you decide what scientific road your country goes, you decide your diplomacy (Limited when governing a democracy, of course). Very realistic, mostly historical correct, and you can play as any country that existed between 1936 and 1948. Involves idelogy and politics said period as well. Perhaps my favorite strategy game ever.

Hearts of Iron II - Didn't spend so many hours with it as the first one, but a great game nevertheless. I'd rather recommend the first one though.

Age of Empires I & II - Played these games way too many hours. Need no mention, really. Great games when they were released.

Transport Tycoon - Ultimate Tycoon game, start with 100k loan, and two bare hands, build your company up, and find yourself in the lead of a transports giant. First strategy game I ever played.

Starcraft/Warcraft games - Just for the sheer amount of time I've put into that series. Not the same level as for instance civ/HoI, and not games I can play anymore. When I was younger, they were the best that were, though.

Shogun, Medieval and Rome from the Total War games. Don't know if there were more. Good concept, and good games.

Can't think of anymore at the moment, apart from perhaps Capitalism 2.

Edit: Right. Had to add all the Total War games.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.

Last edited by qebab; 24 Jan 2006 at 08:21.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 01:06   #2
Explode
Blasting Caps

Explode has a spectacular aura aboutExplode has a spectacular aura aboutExplode has a spectacular aura about
Re: Best Strategy Games?

well i believe you missed one and its name is planetarion....

but another great strategy game in my opinion would be The Colonies....

but you have already named off alot of good games so...
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 01:07   #3
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

over the last 4 years I seem to have spent a vast majority of my "game playing time" playing Champ Man and Civ 3.
In fact, I bought 3 games back in august and i played each for about an hour before being drawn back...

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 01:08   #4
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explode
well i believe you missed one and its name is planetarion....
He was after "good" games duder

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 01:09   #5
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Think you missed

Panzer General
and
Europa Universalis II
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 01:11   #6
Explode
Blasting Caps

Explode has a spectacular aura aboutExplode has a spectacular aura aboutExplode has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
He was after "good" games duder
i guess...

Last edited by Explode; 24 Jan 2006 at 14:20.
Explode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 01:13   #7
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.K Zhukov
Think you missed

Panzer General
and
Europa Universalis II
Right, never played Panzer General(!), and only briefly tried EU II. Have been too hung up into HoI for trying the other Paradox Games. I tried Victoria as well, and its a good game. But I'm into WW II, and I don't know all that much about the Victorian age, so it wasn't quite the same.

Unread 24 Jan 2006, 01:18   #8
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG! You have missed out on a treat there.

Panzer General 1&2 are completly ace games.
Specially the first one.

When it comes to EU2 and HoI, I have spent alot more time on EU2 than the other, becouse its so fun
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 01:35   #9
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Rome: Total War
C&C Generals
Warhammer 40k Dawn of War
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 01:51   #10
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Ufo Enemy Unknown
Dune2

Groundcontrol
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 02:10   #11
Explode
Blasting Caps

are these computer games...?
or just games in general...

Unread 24 Jan 2006, 02:41   #12
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

I was always a fan of the older games... starcraft from back when will always hold a special place in my heart

More modern... definitely the Civ games... Would anyone count Worms as strategy to some extent? It's silly, it's cute, and there's just something about a worm with a pope's hat throwing holy hand grenades that will always make me smile.
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 03:00   #13
-Blue Moon-
Hello Tietäjä

-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future-Blue Moon- has a brilliant future

I always liked Empire Earth and although it took me a while to get used to Empire Earth 2, it's actually just as good if not better imo.
I too have been playing CM9798 for 9years now (wow?) and try to keep it as updated as possible. I even wrote a CM:PIA edition replacing all Scotish teams w/******** alliances and their players. It actually worked out very well

R1-2 [VanX] - R3 [Legion] - R4 [Legion/Shogun/FORT] - R5-6 [WP/Shogun/FORT] - R7-8 [VsN] - R9-R9.5 [Seraphim/VsN]- R10-12 [WP] R13 [1up/eXilition] R14 [Orbit/scanner] R15 [eXilition] R16 [Orbit/scanner] R17 [Subh/scanner] R18 [eXilition] R19 [F-Crew/scanner] R20 [Orbit/Destiny/scanner] R21-22 [Orbit/scanner] R23-25 [In-gal-def-ho]
-Blue Moon- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 03:11   #14
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Zero Hour
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 05:37   #15
Cooling
Tilting at windmills

Cooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himCooling is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Total Annihilation.

It's just better.
Cooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 06:52   #16
Cut Tooth
Renegade of Funk

Cut Tooth is a name known to allCut Tooth is a name known to allCut Tooth is a name known to allCut Tooth is a name known to allCut Tooth is a name known to allCut Tooth is a name known to all

I only own 3 pc games and they are all strategy. They are Champ Manager, Command And Conquer Tiberian Sun and Stronhold 2 Deluxe. Anyone else play Stronghold? It's really not great but I do like it and would love to set a little clan for it!
Cut Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 06:58   #17
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut Tooth
I only own 3 pc games and they are all strategy. They are Champ Manager, Command And Conquer Tiberian Sun and Stronhold 2 Deluxe. Anyone else play Stronghold? It's really not great but I do like it and would love to set a little clan for it!
I loved TB. Are people still playing it online?
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 07:27   #18
Cut Tooth
Renegade of Funk

Cut Tooth is a name known to allCut Tooth is a name known to allCut Tooth is a name known to allCut Tooth is a name known to allCut Tooth is a name known to allCut Tooth is a name known to all

yup, wanna help me out with some things? When I bought the game I didn't get a manual so much of the buildings don't make sense to me. I understand the basics cos I've played C&C red alert on ps...
Cut Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 07:45   #19
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidly
More modern... definitely the Civ games...
civ is quite old compared to starcraft dude
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 08:00   #20
Squidly
Avenger of Calamari

Squidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet societySquidly is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
civ is quite old compared to starcraft dude

Aah fudge... that be my bad then. I started playing SC before I played civ, so I think I just confused myself. Nice!
Squidly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 08:22   #21
qebab
The Original Carebear

I just figured I had to add the Total War games. Everyone who didn't try one of them, should.

Unread 24 Jan 2006, 09:24   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

No Rise of Nations? Or Space Empires IV? Or Master of Orion II? Or Earth 2150?
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 09:27   #23
Smudge
For Crowly <3

Smudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond reputeSmudge has a reputation beyond repute

Deadlock

The reason why I fooked up my GCSE's!
[14:53:26] * Keiz`afk has joined #support
[14:53:36] <Keiz`afk> THE SMUDGE CHEERLEADING TEAM HAS ARRIVED
Smudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 09:31   #24
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

AOE I and II, Caesar III.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 10:36   #25
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Rome: Total War is the best strategy game I ever played. There's nothing like ordering your horde of legions towards the enemy camp
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 10:50   #26
s|k
Caveat Lector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut Tooth
yup, wanna help me out with some things? When I bought the game I didn't get a manual so much of the buildings don't make sense to me. I understand the basics cos I've played C&C red alert on ps...
Ah, just keep playing it to get better. No other way to get better and if you can, find The Masterer, so he can help you improve your micro.
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 11:29   #27
PSH
Registered Abuser

PSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet societyPSH is a pillar of this Internet society

Force Commander.

(online only)
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 11:31   #28
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s|k
Ah, just keep playing it to get better. No other way to get better and if you can, find The Masterer, so he can help you improve your micro.
I love you.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 13:39   #29
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

broodwars aka starcraft expansion, played this game for 4-5years now, and i still love it and play it every day nearly, stratergies are endless, blizzard are still updating it and making patches for it as it is still in a high demand after 6 odd years, many awesome players on bnet, which you always have to think about gets a massive thumbs up from me as it is ultimately the best game ever also much better than the wc series. Requires tremendous amounts of balance in your game such as macro and micro, and with good unit control i love the fact you can own 8 hydras and 4 lings with 2 goons and 3 zealots

red alert 2, i used to play this alot back in the day but single player never entertains me i always play any game i get online, it started getting a bit boring and tedious, 'who can tank rush the fastest', required little or no micro whatsoever.
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 14:01   #30
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Command and Conquer and the Red Alert series has always been a favourite of mine.
Same iwth Championsship Manager etc.
Im not sure but is Heroes 3 a strategy game? If so it ROCKS
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 14:25   #31
Explode
Blasting Caps

...i have nothing to say to that...all that comes to mind is

Last edited by Explode; 24 Jan 2006 at 14:33.
Explode is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 14:33   #32
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explode
...i have nothing to say to that...all that comes to mind is
Why do you keep editing your posts to make them more retarded?
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 14:42   #33
OneColourRed

OneColourRed is a jewel in the roughOneColourRed is a jewel in the roughOneColourRed is a jewel in the roughOneColourRed is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki
broodwars aka starcraft expansion, played this game for 4-5years now, and i still love it and play it every day nearly, stratergies are endless, blizzard are still updating it and making patches for it as it is still in a high demand after 6 odd years, many awesome players on bnet, which you always have to think about gets a massive thumbs up from me as it is ultimately the best game ever also much better than the wc series. Requires tremendous amounts of balance in your game such as macro and micro, and with good unit control i love the fact you can own 8 hydras and 4 lings with 2 goons and 3 zealots

red alert 2, i used to play this alot back in the day but single player never entertains me i always play any game i get online, it started getting a bit boring and tedious, 'who can tank rush the fastest', required little or no micro whatsoever.
I couldnt agree more.Starcraft Brood war is in my opinion the best game ever made. Sadly i dont play it much now, mainly due to lack of a consistent partner for 2v2. I never got any better than average really but i know the guy that used to be one of the best in the UK and the speed he could work mouse and keyboard at was impressive. I know i'll go back to this at some point though
OneColourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 15:24   #34
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

This thread needs more Red Alert/RA2 love.
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 15:26   #35
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

SilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so littleSilverSmoke contributes so much and asks for so little

Oftenly there isn't much strategy involved in RTS games, tactics on the other hand..
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 15:32   #36
qebab
The Original Carebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
Oftenly there isn't much strategy involved in RTS games, tactics on the other hand..
Quite correct. The obvious exception to that though, is Hearts of Iron, Europa Universalis and Victoria, though. I really, really recommend those games to anyone who is a true strategy fan. If you liked Rise of Nations etc, and if you liked civilization, I'd guess you'll love these games. Especially if you're more than average interested in History.

Paradoxplaza has some screenshots and comments on these games. Go get them, I'm begging you :\

Unread 24 Jan 2006, 15:32   #37
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Go

edit: As already pointed out, most RTS games are tactical rather than strategic. Obviously theres _some_ strategy involved, but not much. In terms of the level of decision making, you couldnt compare them to something like Go, or even playing planetarion as the HC of a significant alliance.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 15:38   #38
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Risk & Diplomacy.

Although I've not played Diplomacy for years, I think there's a new PC version released recently.

Risk is still brilliant, even if it is a little simplistic. It needs to be treated a bit like Poker though, you need to play dozens of games to get a longer term picture of how good you are.
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 15:48   #39
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
edit: As already pointed out, most RTS games are tactical rather than strategic. Obviously theres _some_ strategy involved, but not much. In terms of the level of decision making, you couldnt compare them to something like Go, or even playing planetarion as the HC of a significant alliance.
That depends on a few things though - it must take place in a vacuum, as series of games can have other complexities, and it must be such that single encounters can decide games.

The latter makes something like WC3 tactical. The former can make it strategical.
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 15:51   #40
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Risk & Diplomacy.

Although I've not played Diplomacy for years, I think there's a new PC version released recently.

Risk is still brilliant, even if it is a little simplistic. It needs to be treated a bit like Poker though, you need to play dozens of games to get a longer term picture of how good you are.
when i started playing Risk against my younger bro and sisters, i always won. in a later stadium they began teaming up on me from the start. does that make me a worse player? i doubt it.
Risk is all about luck, unless your opponents are shite. you should download the online version btw. (and play against me!).
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 15:54   #41
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

Ive played the online version quite a bit. I prefer the online version, cause im really shite at tossing dice
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 16:06   #42
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN
Risk is all about luck,
No, it's not. That's why on the on-line version there are people with a higher ranking consistently than others.

Yes, if you play one game then sure, the result is pretty meaningless, just as if you were to play one hand of Texas Hold 'Em. You could get lucky and have a great starting position. Your initial defence could be very fortunate. But over the course of 10, 20 or 100 games luck is evened out. That's why the online version is quite good (and I have an account at Dominate Game if that's what you meant btw) as you can play many quick games.

Risk is much more about managing your opponents and maintaining discipline than just luck. The real "skill" in the game is not in dice rolling but about not provoking people to attack you while keeping everyone elses growth checked. If you behave like an arrogant cock, are excessively greedy too early, or if you attack everyone and anyone without reason then you'll probably get gang ****ed. But that's where the actual strategy comes in.

edit : Obviously if you consistently play with the same two or three people who hate you then the game is pretty pointless, but that could be said about RTS's too - someone can easily continually harrass you the entire game and mean you'll probably lose in a game with 3-4 people.
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 16:13   #43
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Seth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of light

I think civ4 is brilliant, although i've never played the earlier versions so maybe thats why?:/

Dawn of War, ra2 & rise of nations are the best RTS games i've played. I'll never forget seeing an ickle wolfy in ra2 running through the snow and mangling his first soldier.

Ahhh, happy days

This is slightly off topic but has anyone here tried the Commander role in BF2? Ok its not exactly RTS but there are definately shades of RTS tactics in infantry maps like karkland
Seth Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 16:36   #44
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Adding in my vote for C&C Generals series (specifically Zero Hour).
No they're not realistic, but they are unrivaled fantastic fun
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 16:47   #45
Seth Mace
Down Boy - WOOF!

Seth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of lightSeth Mace is a glorious beacon of light

lol @ this neg rep btw;

"stop those retarded smilies:/ connected to the words you idiot, it hurts my brain"

Sometimes i fear for humanity:/.

(see what i did there with the smilie Mr.Noname?)

Last edited by Seth Mace; 24 Jan 2006 at 16:53.
Seth Mace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 17:02   #46
SilverSmoke
Guy next door

Well he's right though.
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 17:45   #47
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Myself and four other friends played risk for a while last year as our daily thing to avoid going to college. I found it got fantastically dull very quickly. It was very much a question of waiting for someone else to make a mistake, which once we all understood the game was a question of who got bored first. I rather liked red alert, civ II and rome total war. Those are the only three strategy/tactical games that held my attention for ages.
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 17:51   #48
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
It was very much a question of waiting for someone else to make a mistake, which once we all understood the game was a question of who got bored first.
This can happen definitely, but again the online version has some advantages here in terms of speed (i.e. each turn is generally done in 30 seconds => 1 minute) and variation in the rules (e.g. increasing cards vs fixed sets, capital game vs non-capital game, blind map vs open map, etc).

Even then, there are some games where people just build up and up and then wait for someone to get bored (whereupon they generally get wiped out). In a game I was in someone had well over 5000 armies in one territory for instance.
Unread 24 Jan 2006, 18:43   #49
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i hate C&C generals due to the fact that MrL completely kicks my ass at it
Unread 25 Jan 2006, 13:57   #50
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

C&C Series
Warcraft/Starcraft
Risk (classic)
Champ Manager
And i really enjoyed playing the commandos series to.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote