User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 2 Jan 2006, 02:08   #1
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Alcohol culture...

Reading these forums, I get the idea that most of you consider it somehow a positive thing to 'drink loads'. Some even consider getting hammered a good and proper evening, or even, if you weren't hammered, it a bad one. (Grammar fails there at one point)

This I do not understand, I mean alcohol, I drink it because I like it, I mean, I like a beer, a good glass of wine, a gin tonic, a gin fizz or whatever, but once I notice that my judgement is getting off, or worse, if I've been drinking while seated, that my movement is off, I quit drinking for that night. I hate losing control or worse, missing pieces of the film. And I cannot understand that getting drunk is 'nice'. I just can't.

Can someone explain this to me?
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 02:10   #2
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Alcohol culture...

I'm mashed, you ****, and i'll ****ing 'ave you so **** off to Hockeyville, USA
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 02:10   #3
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oh this again.

Many activities are fun when hammered, and utterly shit when not. Dante's comments about clubbing spring to mind.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 02:17   #4
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I thought this was going to be a thread about Theam and his hockey stick + girl (get the pun?).

This thread fails to deliver.

On a serious note, I had this discussion with a cabbie last night. We couldn't figure it out why.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 02:18   #5
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

I find it easier to talk to people when drunk. Maybe this is because when pissed they're (normally) innane conversation suddenly becomes funny and interesting.
Some shit just seems hilarious when you get wankered, and funnier things seem to happen.
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 02:27   #6
MrPeach

MrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud ofMrPeach has much to be proud of

I don't understand people who play hockey.

Others don't understand people who post on internet forums.

Personally I like drinking for a variety of reasons:

- Often conversation will be more open.
- I am more relaxed and less self concious.
- More stories tend to come of a drunken night.

Being some of them.
MrPeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 02:32   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What Mark said.

Undoubtedly someone will respond with "Well I have amazingly fun times while clubbing even when I'm sober" - well, good for you. This is not the case with most people I know, especially if you change 'Alcohol culture' to 'Intoxication culture'. I could have easily had my NYE festivities without any alcohol if you swap to another intoxicant, but I presume that's not what you mean.

Speaking personally, due to social norms and other issues, I find it quite difficult to talk to 'strangers' if I'm not mashed on some level or another - at least, not unless there is some sort of structure in place (e.g. I'd be fine to deliver a presentation to people I've never met and indeed I do this semi-regularly as part of my work). I think like many people I tend to "overthink" things, so if I was speaking to someone and there was a lull in conversation I would normally tend to dwell on this silence which would cause a strange feedback loop where I would be increasingly unable to think of anything to say. Intoxicants tend to obliterate this process which leads to an increase in social interaction.

You mention the issue of "judgement". A lot of people don't necessarily adore their own sense of judgement. They may find themselves too risk averse in day-to-day life and this may not be appropriate in certain circumstances (again, clubbing springs to mind). I would never while sober, after perhaps 30 seconds of conversation with a pretty girl, say "Can I kiss you?" but I have done on alcohol on various occassions, and it's always reaped positive results.

Also, there is the issue of pain. Most people's drunken escapades seem to involve doing things which would be fairly tiring/painful or boring if you weren't drunk (e.g. walking around in the cold, dancing around for 9 hours, etc). Alcohol (and other intoxicants) tend to act as a mild pain killer in this regard.

Oh yes, and for most people simply being drunk is (at first at least) is actually quite fun. Obviously if you're in a bad mood then alcohol can not necessarily rescue you, but I tend to find (as I've said elsewhere) the first two hours (at the very least) of drinking to be pretty euphoric.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 03:45   #8
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Drinking is essentially escapism, for a lot of people. I can understand it. I don't imagine it helps much though, really.
Boogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 03:51   #9
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogster
Drinking is essentially escapism, for a lot of people.
Well yeah, obviously. If I was homeless for example, I'd be looking to be smashed pretty much all the time as a method of dealing with the cold or just general horror of my existence.

But I think that it's pretty misleading to presume that a group of friends who are going out together on a Friday night to get mashed are somehow "escpaing" anything. Unless you wish to, as others have on this forum have done in the past, define "escapism" in such a ridiculously broad manner as to render pretty much every human action ever as a form of escapism (and thus the term meaningless).
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 03:57   #10
Boogster
I dunno...

Boogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud ofBoogster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Well yeah, obviously. If I was homeless for example, I'd be looking to be smashed pretty much all the time as a method of dealing with the cold or just general horror of my existence.

But I think that's it's pretty misleading to presume that a group of friends who are going out together on a Friday night to get mashed are somehow "escpaing" anything. Unless you wish to, as others have on this forum have done in the past, define "escapism" in such a ridiculously broad manner as to render pretty much every human action ever as a form of escapism (and thus the term meaningless).
You're right.

There are probably two reasons people drink to excess:

- purely in the pursuit of fun

- as a form of escapism

However, 'escapism' includes getting drunk to hide one's percieved social defects, whether it be in speaking to strangers, or in judgement.
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 04:02   #11
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
However, 'escapism' includes getting drunk to hide one's percieved social defects, whether it be in speaking to strangers, or in judgement.
Perhaps, but as I implied, I am unhappy with such a definition. Let's say person X can do (or enjoys doing more) something when they are drunk. Does this mean that they are getting drunk to "escape" their inability? Again, perhaps - but that seems like a mangling of English grammar. It'd be pretty strange to say that Popeye eats spinach as a form of "escapism" from being weak for instance.

Last edited by Dante Hicks; 2 Jan 2006 at 04:15.
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 04:24   #12
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Drinking can be fun, but then so can lots of other things. Theres probably too much emphasis attached to alcohol in modern culture, but who cares really?

Also, I dont 'lose control' after drinking, even when I've drunk a lot. If I did, I would almost certainly never do it again.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 04:26   #13
Boogster
I dunno...

Quote:
Perhaps, but as I implied, I am unhappy with such a definition. Let's say person X can do (or enjoys doing more) something when they are drunk. Does this mean that they are getting drunk to "escape" their inability? Again; perhaps - but that seems like a mangling of English grammar. It'd be pretty strange to say that Popeye eats spinach as a form of "escapism" from being weak for instance.
We're getting into semantics.

An athlete takes steroids to enhance his performance; a shy person drinks to hide his inadequacy. It might not be 'escapism', but it's the same thing.
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 04:36   #14
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

Quote:
it seems that semantics is fairly important if you're trying to have a debate, as it's rather important to understand what people mean.

escapism, for instance, has fairly negative connertations (at least to me), which as dante seems to be arguing that getting drunk isn't neccessarily a terrible thing isn't the kind of thing he'd want to imply.

on another note, i had fun without being pissed and/or high. w00t. tho J did spend most of the night extoling the virtues of E to me - ironically, the dullest part was when he was busy explaining how i should be bored
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 04:45   #15
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

An athlete takes steroids to enhance his performance; a shy person drinks to hide his inadequacy. It might not be 'escapism', but it's the same thing.
Its not really the same thing, because (assuming the athlete was competant and had properly researched his training and drug routine), he would only be taking steroids to break through a genetic barrier - ie there would be no way for him to significantly improve his performance through natural means alone. However, the shy person who uses alcohol to boost his confidence is treating the symptom rather than the disease. They would probably be better off working out why they were shy, and doing something about it directly.

I agree with Dante that 'escapism' is generally a meaningless term. In some strands of existentialist literature, you will encounter the claim that pretty much everything humans do on a day-to-day basis is essentially just a way of escaping the dread of non-being/anxiety/whatever. Is this just playing with words? Of course. But it doesnt seem all that different to what people try to do with the word when applying it to people who drink.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 05:08   #16
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
However, the shy person who uses alcohol to boost his confidence is treating the symptom rather than the disease. They would probably be better off working out why they were shy, and doing something about it directly.
This is probably true although curing something like shyness doesn't seem trivial (I've not heard of anyone do it in a "repeatable" or conscious fashion). Especially when it's quite domain specific - I can easily stand up in front of a room of people and talk about Stock Condition surveys or Lenin's "What is to be done?" (and indeed have done and felt pretty good afterwards) but on a one-to-one basis I find it quite difficult.

Self-medication is a tricky subject but it seems possible that in some instances supressing the symptoms are enough to beat the "disease". I've certainly heard of instances where people used Viagra (say) the first couple of times with a new partner and then had the self-confidence to never need it again. Obviously with other drugs it can fairly quickly go to the other way towards total reliance.

It's unlikely that booze ever "cures" shyness, but I'd imagine there's quite a few situations where it supresses awkwardness for long enough for you to get to know someone and thus past any shyness. At least, that's been my experience. Obviously I realise that's only specific to that situation / group of people, but that's generally all I need.
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 07:34   #17
Chunderbunny

Chunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond reputeChunderbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Its not really the same thing, because (assuming the athlete was competant and had properly researched his training and drug routine), he would only be taking steroids to break through a genetic barrier - ie there would be no way for him to significantly improve his performance through natural means alone. However, the shy person who uses alcohol to boost his confidence is treating the symptom rather than the disease. They would probably be better off working out why they were shy, and doing something about it directly.
Your making a lot of assumptions there Nodrog. Personally my carefully considered and planned anti-shy routine has brought me to the lowest level of shyness... Not content with introducing myself to random girls as an old friend, and putting glasses on at ship ticket booths and declaring myself a genius to all the staff, while moving the glasses good old Michael Fish style, now, through the power of alcohol, and my trusty genetic-o-meter, I can ask whole bars of girls 'so which one of you lucky girls wants to go to a hotel with me?', tell world class K1 fighters 'Well your a lot smaller than I thought you were....' and spank pretty much every ladyboys and cosplay dancer in the club.... It's a gruelling schedule but alcohol gives me what I need to Smash That DNA....

2005: - Well new year was pretty exciting

Predictions for 2006: - Probably remain single....
Chunderbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 07:54   #18
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Theamion
Reading these forums, I get the idea that most of you consider it somehow a positive thing to 'drink loads'. Some even consider getting hammered a good and proper evening, or even, if you weren't hammered, it a bad one. (Grammar fails there at one point)

This I do not understand, I mean alcohol, I drink it because I like it, I mean, I like a beer, a good glass of wine, a gin tonic, a gin fizz or whatever, but once I notice that my judgement is getting off, or worse, if I've been drinking while seated, that my movement is off, I quit drinking for that night. I hate losing control or worse, missing pieces of the film. And I cannot understand that getting drunk is 'nice'. I just can't.

I think alot is down to cultural associations and what people think they are going to get out of it, as much as it is the actual chemical effects of drinking on the body.

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 10:37   #19
the_dastardley_chihuahua
Damn Dog

the_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud ofthe_dastardley_chihuahua has much to be proud of

drink improves my dancing.
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 13:58   #20
Charjerk

Charjerk is infamous around these parts

I find it tragic that somebody should need alcohol to be not shy or be able to do other things. How can an individual. thorugh alcohol or drugs, put himself in an illusionary situation, complete the task and be happy with the consequences. It sounds like a temporary short cut. Are you not back to your real self afterwards, the self that does not satisfy you and compels you to drink and take drugs and be not you. Sounds like a blind circle. If you keep doing that is it you determining the details of your characteristics or drink and drugs. I feel that you they only help you to wear a mask that becomes temprarily you even for you. I guess these do not matter for people whose only aim is to behae in a certain way for some time and not worry about self development. At the end of the day the person you get back to is always you. It is strange to need artificial things to prove yourself to yourself and to your environment. The greatest fight in the world is against the self.
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 14:09   #21
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

i can't remember the last time i was really drunk tbh. somehow i lost fun (challenge?) in binge-drinking; nowadays i spend nights out much differently (and with different people). i think i should consider it all in all as a big improvement, but somehow i'm not too sure about it. i don't know.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 15:18   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charjerk
I find it tragic
That assumes that "enjoyment" isn't an end to itself, and that different situations don't lend themselves better to different reactions.
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 15:39   #23
Charjerk

Life is hard, nobody can deny that. Running away from yourself with drink and drugs is to romanticise life and things incolved in it, not trying to belive in yourself and reveal your own potential without resorting to those things. Real life does not take romanticising. Live it in a non-sober way as long as you want. But in the end it will always be youhaving to pay a rent, buy food, watch and experience disasters, feel that you could be beter in some ways, endure a shit job, etc etc. Real life hits you like a rock in the end does not matter how long you run away, There is no reincarnation or karma, this life is your only chance. You think you are always changing for the better, thats good. The formation of individuality is a process. But not everybody gets into this process in the first place. Things has to happen to force them and think that something is wrong before starting to look at themselves objectively. Not everyone is like that. I was not talking about people with deep-seated mental problems that require medication. I am talking about the average person who tries to live soberly only through drink and drug. I am talking about an internalised social habit that needs to be questioned by every individual. Every individual is worthy and valuable, but it take time for them to find themselves and there are only two ways you either shape up gradually or ship out gradually. You are what you make of yourself. May be a truism, but it also means that the most difficult thing in this world is to realise and fight against a world that is trying to make you a carbon copy. Be realistic, do, think and ask for the impossible. There is nothing romantic about these things. If one is courageous enough to force his body's level of alcohol/ drug intake, he should be courageous enough to ask these questions.

Realists do not fear the results of their study - Dostoyevsky

Last edited by Charjerk; 2 Jan 2006 at 15:54.
Charjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 15:58   #24
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

where do i sign up to your program?

do you have any leaflets?

etc etc etc
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 16:34   #25
Charjerk

I am sorry, I do not have a programme or leaflets. Just a man sharing his ideas with people who are willing to share. Thank you.
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 16:50   #26
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
How can an individual. thorugh alcohol or drugs, put himself in an illusionary situation, complete the task and be happy with the consequences.
You are misusing the term "illusion". If you drank 8 cups of coffee in a night to stay awake (in order to write your great manuscript or an essay or whatever) then it is not "an illusion" that you are awake longer. Psychoactives of various descriptions (as horn goes onto mention) can be used in all manner of contexts in a helpful manner.

The rest of your post reads like some pseudo-evangelical Christian tale of salvation. You are saying it is always better to be "sober" (i.e. presumably never taking any psychoactive substance including cigarettes, coffee, etc) than non-sober. But why? You can say this is somehow self-evident, but it isn't to everyone.

You mention challenging things, and I agree. And one of the particularly mindless conventions we should struggle against is the notion we are somehow perfect and that we could not benefit (in certain scenarios or situations) from external help. This will range from drinking an energy drink before having a run to perhaps self-medicating with valium to get through a stressful experience (e.g. flying). There are always dangers, but that is life and we should be courageous enough to confront them in co-operation with like minded members of our community.
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 17:24   #27
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dastardley_chihuahua
drink improves my dancing.
I thought you said driving there
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 18:40   #28
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Reading these forums, I get the idea that most of you consider it somehow a positive thing to 'drink loads'.
Not necessarily. For example I'd only really drink loads when I'm out with some friends and we're celebrating something, new years, end of college exams, start of the college year, big poker win, it being a Tuesday. That sort of thing.
Quote:
Some even consider getting hammered a good and proper evening, or even, if you weren't hammered, it a bad one. (Grammar fails there at one point)
Not in isolation. Quite right on the second one though, I found clubs terrible places if you're not drunk. Music too loud, place too dark, drinks too overpriced, other people shit, dancing not enjoyable and so on and so forth. All in all going to a club and not being drunk is not fun, going to a club while being drunk is fun!

Quote:
This I do not understand, I mean alcohol, I drink it because I like it, I mean, I like a beer, a good glass of wine, a gin tonic, a gin fizz or whatever, but once I notice that my judgement is getting off, or worse, if I've been drinking while seated, that my movement is off, I quit drinking for that night.
What, worried about having an accident cycling home?
Quote:
I hate losing control or worse, missing pieces of the film. And I cannot understand that getting drunk is 'nice'. I just can't.
You seem to consider being drunk the same as being absolutely completely and utterly ****ing plastered. This is a mistake.

Quote:
Alcoholics Anonymous probably can.
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 20:19   #29
Boogster
I dunno...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Modern life is a complex thing. We wear shoes to help us walk and we take drugs to help us talk to boring people at parties.
Is drug taking actually self-help or merely assimilation?

I wonder whether people would be so conscious of being shy if they went to different parties, or talked to different people.
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 21:05   #30
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
You seem to consider being drunk the same as being absolutely completely and utterly ****ing plastered. This is a mistake.
For myself, I am bad with sliding scales, once I notice my judgement is going off with how much I can still take, I stop drinking. I always find it an alarming event when I laugh at myself in the mirror when taking a piss.

But indeed, there are various degrees of drunk, I was more talking 'bout the 'I did things that I normally have inhibitions for' ... kinda stuff
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 21:10   #31
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Quote:
I actually like being insecure, it plays off well next to my outrageous arrogance.

For me it would be

I actually like being shy, it plays off well next to my outrageous arrogance.

When I finally 'get to know' someone, then, well, I am just the best.
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 21:43   #32
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

ITT we realise theam can't take his alcohol
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 21:47   #33
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
For myself, I am bad with sliding scales, once I notice my judgement is going off with how much I can still take, I stop drinking. I always find it an alarming event when I laugh at myself in the mirror when taking a piss.

But indeed, there are various degrees of drunk, I was more talking 'bout the 'I did things that I normally have inhibitions for' ... kinda stuff
Like being more out going? I don't really do many things while drunk that I wouldn't do while sober bar silly little things like that and dancing in a night club. It's just I spend a lot of my time drunk so I do a lot of things while drunk
Unread 2 Jan 2006, 22:12   #34
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I really have no other reason to drink, than the fact that I have a lot more fun while being a bit drunk. I don't enjoy being hungover, so I usually limit myself at "intoxicated" instead of "majorly drunk". However, if you bring too much money when going to a pub, or so, you might end up totally wasted, when you were not really intending to. Thats the "control" part you're speaking about, I assume.

I don't do dancing drunk, and I get to know people more easily when I had a few beers. Those are lasting friendships too, and well, as I said; beer = more fun.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 00:10   #35
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
to feel themselves as part of an environment, they need to be drunk or drug stricken.
They don't "need" it, they just enjoy it more. I don't need sugar on my strawberries, but they're nicer with them. You dig?
Quote:
I am sorry, I am not talking about coffee, or even certain harmless sedatives.
(from an earlier post)

What exactly is the distinction you are making between caffeine and other substances? If you consume a lot of caffeine the effect is not unlikel if you consume amphetamines. And which sedatives are OK, which ones are not and where is the division made?
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 00:13   #36
Boogster
I dunno...

Quote:
They don't "need" it, they just enjoy it more. I don't need sugar on my strawberries, but they're nicer with them. You dig?
I'm not sure I buy that. It sounds to me as though people need alcohol to enjoy certain situations.
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 00:24   #37
Boogster
I dunno...

Quote:
Originally Posted by horn
so ?
i'd probably need a costume to enjoy a fancy dress party
Pointless analogy? Or is there some hidden profundity I've missed?
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 00:31   #38
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
I'm not sure I buy that. It sounds to me as though people need alcohol to enjoy certain situations.
Possibly, although I wouldn't say it applies to everyone, even those in the "pro-alcohol" camp. I went clubbing a few months ago and was due for a blood test the next day so steered clear of any intoxicant. Still had a good time yet not as good a time as I would have had otherwise.

Different strokes for different folks, of course. I know people who are "straight edged" who go out and party all the time but never drink, but they are rare. Most people who don't drink (from personal experience) tend not to go out, or at least not as actively as those who do.
Quote:
Pointless analogy? Or is there some hidden profundity I've missed?
I think his point is that you are playing word games again. The word "need" in the context of drink and drugs is usually seen as "bad" yet there are many contexts when that doesn't apply.
Quote:
Lets consider a refugee who comes from a war zone.A person who is suffering from post traumatic stress disorder may need to consume some substances especially if his society is considering him ill and abondaning, if he is in a different country with a strange customs, without a family and ex-friends who consider him strange and take off. He could heal sooner with proper support in a social environment. But the solution becomes alcohol and drugs.
What on Earth relevence does this has to do with anything? Yes, they could turn to alcohol or drugs...so what? They could also destroy their lives in any number of other ways.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that drink or drugs are a universal good thing, or for anyone. This thread was asking for why people drink and a number of explanations have been offered, usually from personal experience. For some people, "self-medicating" with alcohol would be a horrendously bad idea, for others, it's OK. There is a certain diversity in the human condition and thank goodness for that.
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 00:46   #39
Boogster
I dunno...

Quote:
I think his point is that you are playing word games again. The word "need" in the context of drink and drugs is usually seen as "bad" yet there are many contexts when that doesn't apply.
Little old ladies often attempt 'word games' after failing the sudoku. They quite enjoy a good crossword, I'm told.
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 01:01   #40
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Little old ladies often attempt 'word games' after failing the sudoku. They quite enjoy a good crossword, I'm told.
I'm not very good at crosswords.
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 11:08   #41
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
3 down: Gobstore (anag.)
Bort Goes!
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 11:26   #42
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

Barclay, barry Bert, Bort....

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 11:49   #43
qebab
The Original Carebear

qebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himqebab is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical Edward
Barclay, barry Bert, Bort....
Congratulations on 5000 posts.

Oh crap, I might be back. I should take my own advice.
qebab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 13:06   #44
JonnyBGood
Banned

What a record setting week we're having at the minute!
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 17:03   #45
eJohn
Tiny Dancer

eJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to beholdeJohn is a splendid one to behold

Life is an endless horrible procession of dissapointment, and alcohol boosts your self esteem and self confidence for a while, makes you aspire to be something you arent.

In fairness though, not anymore for me. It just brings me down, and i find talking about getting drunk, or preparing / starting to get drunk much more enjoyable than the actual experience, when i usually wonder what the hell ive done.
[16:09] <eJohn> im still standing
eJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 17:07   #46
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
3 down: Gobstore (anag.)
Storebog?
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 19:40   #47
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Presumably when you're washing your hands, not pissing in the sink?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 20:05   #48
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Presumably when you're washing your hands, not pissing in the sink?
you presumed correct, although, some clubs have mirrors on the urinoir side.
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 20:42   #49
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Personally, I like drinking until I black out.

I don't do it very often though and never on purpose as I ALWAYS make a fool of myself in the most bizarre way and can never remember exactly what happened.

However, I do enjoy the sensation the next day when I wake up and notice little things that I've done since I've been back home. It's kind of like a small-scale version of Fear and Loathing where he wakes up wearing fishing boots, a crocidile tail and the room is trashed.

It may just be the novelty experience as I'm not a big drinker and if it happened every day it would lose it's appeal but I suppose that's why I don't do it.

It is very much a form of escapism, like going on a holiday. Although I think it can be compared to religion to a certain extent. Sometimes, when people are in desperate situations they turn to God and pray for strength which they then find and can use to help themselves. But because God doesn't exist all they have done is channelled their own strength with a placebo (I think this has something to do with Marxism but I'm not 100% sure). I'm not saying this is always the case but alcohol can be used (like God) as a short-cut to "self-improvement". Likewise, too much dependence on either of these things can be very bad for you. In theory, as we grow as people our dependence on these should decrease and we can achieve the desired state of mind independently.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2006, 20:45   #50
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
It is very much a form of escapism, like going on a holiday. Although I think it can be compared to religion to a certain extent. Sometimes, when people are in desperate situations they turn to God and pray for strength which they then find and can use to help themselves. But because God doesn't exist all they have done is channelled their own strength with a placebo (I think this has something to do with Marxism but I'm not 100% sure). I'm not saying this is always the case but alcohol can be used (like God) as a short-cut to "self-improvement". Likewise, too much dependence on either of these things can be very bad for you. In theory, as we grow as people our dependence on these should decrease and we can achieve the desired state of mind independently.
Marx called religion the opiate of the masses. Personally I prefer going straight to the source and taking the opium but whatever.