User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 1 Mar 2006, 02:57   #1
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Windows Vista

Well, it's been a while since much mention was made of this so here we go again.
I have read this article, rather childishly called "Why Windows Vista won't suck". Please try and see past the pre-school title, the article itself is intelligent and well written.

In short, it does it's best to explain the changes from XP to Vista, some of which I wasn't aware of despite liking to think i'm fairly up to date on these things. There's a lot more than a pretty new desktop.

As for actually getting it, I'm still going to wait a couple of months after it comes out before making my decision. I want to see what initial problems there are, what works and what doesn't.

It does look intriguing though.
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 03:07   #2
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Windows Vista

I'm waiting for an official release of OS-X for the PC.

Vista may be a lot prettier than XP but some of the DRM stuff seems a little overkill for me.

Plus I really dont want to have to upgrade again just to run a new OS.

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 03:11   #3
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society

thanks for that, I enjoyed reading it.
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 03:37   #4
s|k
Caveat Lector

s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.s|k has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I read there will be advertisement shown on the screen as Vista starts up. Anyhow, I'm switching to Apple after this computer.
I liked your article though. Well done.
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 13:23   #5
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future

Does it come in a range of exciting colours?
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 14:39   #6
_RATM_
Loves you with mouth

_RATM_ is infamous around these parts_RATM_ is infamous around these parts

Yeah, well.
Time to switch to Linux, methinks.
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 16:17   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Not really.
And don't start another OS war for heaven's sake. All Linux distros have a long long way to go before they become as user friendly and intuitive as Windows or OSX, and that is assuming developers even WANT it to be that way. Some are closer than others, but none are close enough.
Linux is a fantastic OS for high-reliability business uses (web servers and so on), and for the scientifically/technically minded. However, I know that even if I gave one of the friendlier distributions to my parents, they'd be stuck within 5 minutes.

In short, what I'm saying is that everything has it's place, and Linux's isn't in Average Joe's study just yet. What Microsoft is trying to acheive with Vista (and what Apple have already acheived with OSX) is to bring some of the benefits of a *nix approach to security and fault tollerance to a much wider install base. While the changes will not be obvious to most users (except for the "ooh, pretty" bits), they will undoubtedly be beneficial. Unfortunately, Microsoft are doing a piss poor job of telling this to their target market.
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 16:27   #8
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society

Ubuntu is really straightforward for a damn lot of stuff.

I was impressed. They've come a long way.
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 17:22   #9
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Ubuntu is getting there.
However, there are still limitations. One example is that it cannot play MP3s or many video formats out of the box. I know there are good reasons for this, but most users aren't interested in the reasons and certainly aren't interested in downloading extras from a package repository, once they've had the concept of a package repositrory explained to them of course. If it won't do it, they'll use something else that will instead.
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 17:54   #10
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

any word yet on how easy it will be to fool the authentication/genuine user stuff on vista copies?

Last edited by 1-X; 2 Mar 2006 at 02:13. Reason: just noticed I put 'authentification'. :rolleyes: (edit 2 - though a search informs me that it is a word and it could be used properly here so I'm not going mental after all :)
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 18:32   #11
_RATM_
Loves you with mouth

Look I'll agree that Ubuntu isn't perfect, and Linux is by far the least user friendly OS there is. But lately I've just gotten so sick of the 'user friendly'ness of Windows XP (Since jumping from Win98). I'm not starting an OS war, I'm far too unnerdy for that. But I'm tired of the rockyness of Win XP.

In the end, it's nothing but personnal preference.
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 19:57   #12
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RATM_
and Linux is by far the least user friendly OS there is.
I challence you to use Solaris 5.6 which comes with a CDE desktop. Linux rocks compared to that.
I cry myself to sleep every night because of that horror I have to endure at work every day.
Unread 1 Mar 2006, 20:46   #13
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
I challence you to use Solaris 5.6 which comes with a CDE desktop. Linux rocks compared to that.
I cry myself to sleep every night because of that horror I have to endure at work every day.
your poor poor bastard

(i had to write java on one of those machines for a month once)
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 2 Mar 2006, 02:05   #14
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Solaris has to be the most EVIL operating system known to man. When I worked at Sky they asked me to install it on 5 machines. After a week I had managed to pursuade 3 of them to work. The other 2 refused to install. These were identical Compaq things as well.

It's horrible, truly horrible.

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2006, 18:17   #15
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Yes... see... and imagine this:
I have to use Citrix for editting/writing documents in MS Word.
Now somehow someone managed to combine the three most horrible pieces of software to become the ultimate software configuration from hell:
- Solaris
- Citrix
- Microsoft Word

Whoever came up with this must be one enormous sadistic motherbastard.
Unread 2 Mar 2006, 18:18   #16
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

(what's wrong with word?)
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Mar 2006, 18:27   #17
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
Well, the combination of Citrix and Word is unbearable. Laggy piece of crap. I can get myself some coffee every time I save my document. And you know how often I have to save when I use Word?
Unread 2 Mar 2006, 21:02   #18
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
Well, the combination of Citrix and Word is unbearable. Laggy piece of crap. I can get myself some coffee every time I save my document. And you know how often I have to save when I use Word?
Qft.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2006, 13:38   #19
_RATM_
Loves you with mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
Also depends on taste. I dislike using word due to excessive use of its -- apparently inferior due to popular belief -- 'arch nemesis' Word Perfect.
Unread 3 Mar 2006, 13:53   #20
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Windows Vista won't suck because I won't run it. Simple as that.

This isn't an OS war that I'm getting into, but I've spent enough time trying to get the Janes games (F/A-18, Fleet Command, Longbow 2) and Flanker 2 to run on XP. **** getting them to work on Vista for a game of soldiers.

My desktop PC will continue running XP, perhaps even dropping to 98SE if Longbow continues to crash when flying the Kiowa (yes, I'm running XP with 366Mb of memory in boot.ini)

As for this little OS war. Linux is not friendly. It isn't simple. It isn't easy. It is by far the best OS out there though if you're happy to get your hands a little dirty and not accept everything pre-packaged in the box. Sure, MP3's need a few extra downloads. Windows doesn't come with the xvid or divx codecs, but even the simplest of folk have started playing with downloaded movies now broadband is standard. Just think of it like that.

Anyway.

I'm entirely neutral in this.

Desktop in bedroom = XP SP2
Toshiba Laptop = Gentoo (just trying it out)
Powerbook = Mac OS 10.4.2
SGI Origin = **** knows. Some version Irix, but no idea what one.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Mar 2006, 14:34   #21
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Well I have absolutely no ****ing idea about computers, my knowledge is not large. Ive used windows since 3.1 till well XP SP2. Now a few weeks back I went and had a look at vista on the microsoft website and it looks impressive, there seems to be a genuine attempt from microsoft to grow up of sorts and take note of not only what the avg consumer wants but also what people who know alot about computers want. Anyway I will probably get vista unless I get an apple.
Unread 3 Mar 2006, 16:01   #22
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I don't know if I'd like to upgrade to Vista. It's sounds pretty neat (everything new is sometimes neat). But there's no way I'm going to put it on my personal computer. I'm happy with my XP Pro SP1 (SP2 is ****ing horrendous, it ruined my family PC and I can't seem to run things properly).

I might put Vista on the family computer just to see how things go. If it's too good (and all of my games, which includes Max Payne 1 (the only stress reliever), run smoothly) , I might also install it on my personal PC and laptop.

At the moment, it's all "just maybe".
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote