User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions

Unread 7 Sep 2008, 22:20   #1
Marka
xVx

Marka is just really niceMarka is just really niceMarka is just really niceMarka is just really niceMarka is just really nice
More "realistic" fleet sizes and prizes

As probably everyone gonna jump on the "this-is-not-supposed-to-be-realistic" bandwagon - I am aware of that. Yet the whole numbers don't add up to something even remotely resembling potential realism.

As an example - my population atm - around 1.600.000.
Number of ships 200k ish - 70k of those Cr.
I know that the population number is bollocks - but to have any civilized planet in the future with a fleet of 2.000.000 ships (late round) is plain stupid.
100.000 Battleships alone would require complement of 100.000.000 people. Which in itself exceeds armies on earth altogether (we can agree that earth is densely populated and very militarized).
Even if we assume automated ships - how could a civilization possibly get enough resources to build that many ships? For a battleship I imagine a massive thing - at least 250m long - a single one would weigh at least 50.000t. Producing 20.000 of those - frankly impossible.

Another point would be relative pricing (Xan example)
Figher - 120
Battleship - 810
So we pay about 7 times a price for a massive assault ship that we pay for a single pilot fighter. There's a reason US Forces only have 11 aircraft carriers - but 14k planes and helis.

If I visualize a space battle I usually think of movies like Star Wars or Serenity - where even in huge battles rarely more than 500 ships been involved - of the biggest classes maybe a dozen.

So my sugggestion is a reality check on stats - reduce the amount of ships severely and fix relative pricing.
There is no way any planet could or should have more than 100000 fighters or 500 battleships. Why not pay 500.000 each for a BS (which in return would be a bitch to kill ofc).
When I was a kid watching Star Wars I flinched when seeing a single Star Destroyer - gimme that feeling for PA Ships
Unread 7 Sep 2008, 22:28   #2
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about
Re: More "realistic" fleet sizes and prizes

i like this and its so easy to change.
HaNzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2008, 23:05   #3
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

There's a problem with superships, namely that it takes a buttload to kill them (think about this before posting a bollocks reply, please). That said, your suggestion wouldn't be such a bad one... in moderation. One might think of undoing the price reduction that was introduced ~5 rounds ago. Anything more than that I'm against.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2008, 23:16   #4
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marka View Post
When I was a kid watching Star Wars I flinched when seeing a single Star Destroyer - gimme that feeling for PA Ships
I tried to do this sort of thing with my stats, but I'm told PA players these days only care about big numbers. Because big numbers are fun!
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2008, 23:28   #5
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

i prefer small numbers
HaNzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2008, 00:44   #6
Marka
xVx

Marka is just really niceMarka is just really niceMarka is just really niceMarka is just really niceMarka is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzyxptlk View Post
There's a problem with superships, namely that it takes a buttload to kill them (think about this before posting a bollocks reply, please). That said, your suggestion wouldn't be such a bad one... in moderation. One might think of undoing the price reduction that was introduced ~5 rounds ago. Anything more than that I'm against.
The problem you mention is undeniable - yet the question remains how extreme that effect would really be. I had a pricing of around 5xlower hull group, 2xsmaller class in hull group in mind (BS 2 times more expensive than CR, 10 times DE, 20 times Fr, 100 times Co, 200 times Fi).
If we have DE targetting BS, 10 De would have same result as 19 De, 9 would have no effect. Yet this difference remains static while fleets grow. And ofc you have to keep in mind that losing a single supership will hurt big time.
On a sidenote - wasn't big ships supposed to be harder to kill in return for worse ETA? Atm some are stronger than the smaller ones but pretty inconsistant through the races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
I tried to do this sort of thing with my stats, but I'm told PA players these days only care about big numbers. Because big numbers are fun!
The small informal 4 peeps I asked agreed that current ship numbers are stupid.
If you want to have big numbers increase Mining x 1000 instead of ships
Unread 8 Sep 2008, 01:07   #7
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marka View Post
If you want to have big numbers increase Mining x 1000 instead of ships
Yeah I loved the day when 1 BS cost 96,000.

I actually thought the stats were multiplied by 100, until i signed up for R28 and saw the production screen.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2008, 07:57   #8
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
There's a problem with superships, namely that it takes a buttload to kill them (think about this before posting a bollocks reply, please).
Without unrealistic energy shields and inertial dampeners then any ship should be easy to knock out. It couldn't dodge fast without killing its crew, and its armour should still be pretty easy to puncture with railgun rounds and the like. Unless you made it metres thick, in whch case it would have a massive mass & moment of inertia and you'd probably cook the crew if you had a big enough engine output to move it quickly... realism sucks!

I like big numbers of ships but tbh I don't care. Bigger ships has an advantage because you get a higher 'resolution' A/C and D/C.

Eg the current phantom is 28 of each resource. Its A/C is 357 - putting armour up by one point would make it 476. A jump of 119. If it cost 100 of each resource, changing its armour by 1 point would change its A/C by about 33. A stats designer can more easily get what they want.

You can play with resource cost to fiddle if you need to, but it's easier & you can use rounder numbers if ships are 'bigger'. Also, I think I would like to see a bigger cost difference between big & little ships.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2008, 09:54   #9
neroon

neroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of lightneroon is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
Yeah I loved the day when 1 BS cost 96,000.
would b ace if those times came again :P
Unread 8 Sep 2008, 10:24   #10
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

Quote:
There's a problem with superships, namely that it takes a buttload to kill them (think about this before posting a bollocks reply, please).
Well i dont think thats totally true.

1000 ships with 1 armor is the same as having 1 ship with 1000 armor. You still have to do the same damage to the single ship, then as the swarm of ships.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2008, 10:31   #11
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
Well i dont think thats totally true.

1000 ships with 1 armor is the same as having 1 ship with 1000 armor. You still have to do the same damage to the single ship, then as the swarm of ships.
What happens when an opponent does 500 damage?

To repeat myself:
Quote:
(think about this before posting a bollocks reply, please)
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Unread 9 Sep 2008, 14:17   #12
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of

One possibility would be some form of repair system - at a cost (probably less than the initial production cost - but not necessarily).

Another would be to have partially damaged ships remaining in players' fleets.

A problem with both of these would be that the database would have to store damage information for each ship and I'm sure that similar suggestions have been classed as unworkable in the past.
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2008, 15:01   #13
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
To repeat myself:
Had a quick think;

So long as the attackers and targets go up proportionally, then it's close to a non-issue. If you multiplied every stat of the phantom and the phoenix by 100 (armour, dmg, cost), then 1,000 phantom would still kill 307 phoenix. The value damage ratio isn't altered. It just has lower damage 'resolution' (eg you might be able to kill 20,40,60,80... value rather than 2,4,6,8...)

If we decide we want a bigger difference between the smallest and biggest ships (eg battleships get 10 times bigger but fighters don't), the battleships gain a slight advantage. But if battleships cost 10,000 of each, the absolute worst case is 300 less value destroyed in a battle.

If people want bigger ships, multiply CR/BS by 20, FR/DE by 10 and FI/CO by 0 and there shouldn't be much of a problem. Multiplying CR/BS by 100,000 and FI/CO by 0 would be where your point becomes a serious issue.
Unread 9 Sep 2008, 15:21   #14
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate View Post
Had a quick think;

So long as the attackers and targets go up proportionally, then it's close to a non-issue. If you multiplied every stat of the phantom and the phoenix by 100 (armour, dmg, cost), then 1,000 phantom would still kill 307 phoenix. The value damage ratio isn't altered. It just has lower damage 'resolution' (eg you might be able to kill 20,40,60,80... value rather than 2,4,6,8...)

If we decide we want a bigger difference between the smallest and biggest ships (eg battleships get 10 times bigger but fighters don't), the battleships gain a slight advantage. But if battleships cost 10,000 of each, the absolute worst case is 300 less value destroyed in a battle.

If people want bigger ships, multiply CR/BS by 20, FR/DE by 10 and FI/CO by 0 and there shouldn't be much of a problem. Multiplying CR/BS by 100,000 and FI/CO by 0 would be where your point becomes a serious issue.
This is actually pretty much what I said in my first post in the thread.
Unread 9 Sep 2008, 15:53   #15
mathematician

mathematician has a spectacular aura aboutmathematician has a spectacular aura aboutmathematician has a spectacular aura about

proportionally changing stats isn't a problem with damage carried over. however, if a single gun can kill at most one enemy ship, overkill becomes a problem, as it was in older rounds (with guns/wpsp/agility).

btw sure you want to multiply fi/co stats by 1, not by 0...
mathematician is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2008, 16:45   #16
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
They also give the illusion that theres more interaction happening in the game than there really is.
"ooh 1 million ships, i must have half the universe after me" etc
Unread 9 Sep 2008, 17:39   #17
Mighteh
Your typical Troll

Mighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these partsMighteh is infamous around these parts

/signed1 titan = less then 6 phoenix.
i just came back,last round played was a year-ish ago, and that just boggles my mind.
big numbers are bad coz they make maths harder too. They do produce more exact results, but imo, still not worth it.

As far as "Big numbers are fun". That is such a relative statement in pseudo-universe or wow that evolves every round, that I am shocked that such a statement is even being used in this argument.
And an illustrated book about birds
See alot up there
But dont be scared
who needs action, when you got words....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbg
reading this line is explicit acceptance of my superiority over you
Mighteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2008, 17:42   #18
Marka
xVx

As maybe not entirely visible in my second post - I don't only want a proportional change.
So let's put some more numbers behind that idea:

Pricing scheme (all numbers are of each res)
Fighter: 1.000
Corvettes: 2.000
Frigates 10.000
Destroyers 20.000
Cruisers 100.000
Battleships 200.000

Average fleets (with 20M each invested in each class)
Fighters 20.000
Corvettes 10.000
Frigates 2000
Destroyers 1000
Cruisers 200
Battleships 100

Battle with expensive ships
100 BS in the attack fleet:
  • vs. Battleships - 1 CR kill 1 BS - 100 needed for full cover
  • vs. Cruiser - 2 CR kill 1 BS - 200 needed
  • vs. Destroyers - 10 kill 1 - 1000 needed
  • vs. Frigates - 20 kill 1 - 2000 needed
Right now we don't have any FI/CO attacking CR/BS so that can be left out.
I also know that the Battle engine is way more complicated - just very simple examples.

Worst case for each class is either 1 CR, 9 DE or 19 FR attacking without having an effect - between 100k each or 190k each res doing nothing - this number will remain static throughout round.

Problems occur as soon as we apply races and stats. That can lead to a single BS not able to kill another, yet I doubt it would be easy to construct any set where more than 250k each are inactive.

Other (possible) effects
  • Battles easier to calc
  • Scan pricing doesn't seem that obscene anymore
  • More thinking needed when ordering
  • Many I can't think of atm

On a sidenote - to implement big numbers again - multiply income and all prices by 1000. Woule sort of resemble money then - 3 million for a fighter - 600 million for a battleship etc etc.
Unread 9 Sep 2008, 18:19   #19
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighteh View Post
big numbers are bad coz they make maths harder too
Er.
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 09:52   #20
Oizo

Oizo is an unknown quantity at this point

If it hadnt been said:

This would extremely improve faking, or generally enable it, as you wouldnt have to waste loads of your small ships to get the numbers of your bigger class ones. In addition if you land your lets say 1k fake BS, you just loose 1k really cheap ships, and not 15k or even more, depending on the numbers.
Oizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 10:22   #21
Gate
;D!

Quote:
This is actually pretty much what I said in my first post in the thread.
I missed the 'in moderation'.

Eyes still not healed yet.

<3
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 14:54   #22
Machado
Seraphim

Machado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the roughMachado is a jewel in the rough

I much more liked the smaller fleets than the big massing we have nowadays, but that's just personal preference.
Unread 10 Sep 2008, 16:01   #23
Monroe
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Monroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud ofMonroe has much to be proud of

Well since the large numbers (but not the ratios between different classes) is my fault I feel I should at least post here. The reason behind the large numbers was because when the round went from 10 weeks to 7 weeks I wanted to allow folks to still get to larger fleet sizes, and I generally feel that people liked having their egos stroked with the larger fleet sizes, so I multiplied the number of ships by 10 (other then SKs). Personally I don't really care about the number... other then fleet battles with larger numbers always feel more impressive. It would be simple enough to lower the numbers back down again, it would simply require the next stats designer to divide every cost by ten, and then adjust the relative powers of pods and structure killers.

As to the ratio issue I definitely agree with Marka, its never made much sense to me. Personally I think all ships in the same class should have roughly the same resource costs, and that users should be able to have far more FI then BS.

#strategy
Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote